• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

zychi

Banned
Still felt like WWE was trying to stall the Punk/Cena stuff while waiting for a final decision from Undertaker about WM 29. I can't see any other reason for that first segment as I don't see why they needed to postpone the Cena/Punk match til next week.
Weeks and weeks of road to wm bullshit tv time that needs to be filled. Add 3 hour shows, and theres your answer

I don't see why the WWE should care. Like Mango said, "It's entertainment". A lot of shows have those... crazy characters. The WWE still (somehow) this perceived notion that it's real, but people just have to realize that this person is there to get heat, and you know, just like any sort of entertainment, they're going to have a different reaction based on where they are.

I'm not into politics at all, much less American politics, but I really like what they're doing with Swagger. It's something new and edgy that hasn't really been done in awhile.

And let's face it - WWE are smiling right now because we're talking about it.

I'll compare this with the "Pipe bomb"/"Summer of Punk" - it had people outside the WWE talking about it, fans and non-fans alike. It blurred that line between reality and make-believe. This is doing just that except from a much different and volatile angle.
It's just really bizarre because so many people will of course give it shit for being fake and then turn around and throw a bitch fit when something like this happens and acts like it's real.

KissVibes

Banned
New Ziggler Idea:

What if Zigglers brother debuts with nearly the same look and similar song and is able to accomplish everything Ziggler can't like winning the WHC. AJ leaves him, but Big E stays and trains with him Rocky-Apollo style until he's ready to beat his brother, steal back the girl, and capture the hearts of the WWE Universe?

BlazinAm

i dont think cena/angle had a proper feud
Back in 2003, the stuff in 2005 was cut short for whatever reason.
I'm not gonna lie, the Rock is what drew me back into wrestling 2 years ago. I watched the Raw when it was announced he was coming back and I've been watching since. The WWE won.

Now I watch the product for other wrestlers like Big Show, Bo Dallas, Yoshi Tatsu, Primetime Players and Brodus CLay.
Bo Dallas really?
Surprised you guys didn't know that, he's been mentioned a few times on Art of Wrestling podcast.

In what context is he mentioned?

New Ziggler Idea:

What if Zigglers brother debuts with nearly the same look and similar song and is able to accomplish everything Ziggler can't like winning the WHC. AJ leaves him, but Big E stays and trains with him Rocky-Apollo style until he's ready to beat his brother, steal back the girl, and capture the hearts of the WWE Universe?

I think Evan Bourne is still employed by the company

47ziggler.jpg

New Ziggler Idea:

I...I actually like this.

BlazinAm

New Ziggler Idea:

I personally think that Ziggler is more over than the WHC; when you think about it wwe has done little to keep the title relevant since WrestleMania, there haven't been any strong feuds for the title.
Del Rio versus Sheamus wasn't good and all the matches were the same with the same ending. And the last two feuds have been carried by the Big Show when you think about.

I think that it has been a blessing in disguise with Ziggler not cashing in the MITB. Now he can look towards the fact that the wwe has brought back some great talent like Mark Henry and soon Christian. I'd assume that wwe will also play the heel to face or vice-versa on some key players to help freshen up the title picture.

A bit further thought into this, look at JBL; the guy was in a tag-team that people seriously did not give a fuck about and in two months irrc become the biggest heel in the company. I remember at that time when they did a backstage segment between Triple H and JBL, I didn't care what the context was but those two were at the top of their in-ring psychology. I don't know if that match ever happened and when they moved JBL to Raw he wasn't so hot. But whatever.

I think that the wwe could pluck someone from NXT make them into a star going into a WHC fight, I mean no one is paying to see the smackdown card offerings right? If they find the prefect wrestler, they could really freshen up the title picture asap.

Although I think that the next big feud for Ziggler as champion would be against
Orton
. That is really unfortunate. He will probably get the Christian treatment.

What's great about Ziggler is that you can easily make him a baby face. People want to love the dude! Fun to watch, can be funny on the mic.

I wonder how long until they take him there. Probably after his first heel championship run.

I don't see why the WWE should care. Like Mango said, "It's entertainment". A lot of shows have those... crazy characters. The WWE still (somehow) this perceived notion that it's real, but people just have to realize that this person is there to get heat, and you know, just like any sort of entertainment, they're going to have a different reaction based on where they are.

I'm not into politics at all, much less American politics, but I really like what they're doing with Swagger. It's something new and edgy that hasn't really been done in awhile.

And let's face it - WWE are smiling right now because we're talking about it.

I'll compare this with the "Pipe bomb"/"Summer of Punk" - it had people outside the WWE talking about it, fans and non-fans alike. It blurred that line between reality and make-believe. This is doing just that except from a much different and volatile angle.

Sorry I have to disagree. I do follow politics closely and the way they're going with the Swagger/Coulter angle right now is just ridiculous and racist. So wait, Sheamus is foreign but if he was champ would this angle work? No, because he's white. It plays on stereotypical xenophobia of a certain portion of the population and is not necessary in the WWE. I watch the WWE to get away from the real world and bringing in a hot button race issue doesn't really do it for me. If they wanted to go "real American" angle they should have brought Swagger back to feud with Cesaro for the US title.

And just to prove how fucking absurd this angle is even in WWE world, Alberto Del Rio in kayfabe is a fucking rich Mexican millionaire with dozens of cars and his own goddamn ring announcer. What exactly is he mooching off of in America? On every level this storyline is stupid at best, and demeaning / racist at its potential worst.

BlazinAm

What's great about Ziggler is that you can easily make him a baby face. People want to love the dude! Fun to watch, can be funny on the mic.

I wonder how long until they take him there. Probably after his first heel championship run.

Then what? I think if they wanted to put Punk against Ziggler, that would put him over big time. The problem with Ziggler going face is that the only viable opponents he has are Big Show or Orton(if he turns).

Cagey

Banned
Aww, no comments.

Can't wait for the op-ed hard hitting factual journalism about how Vince is an out of touch ivory tower liberal.

You want comments? I gotcho comments.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/02/19/wwe-scorches-tea-party-racist

POL_POTSIE
They've come a long way from Hulk Hogan waving the flag and "singing" Real American. Sob.

JW THOMPSON
What I don't understand, and it actually is a symptom of the larger problem with the company. Their audience skews right politically yet they attacked the right last night. Clumsily, I might add. Vince seems dead set on attacking his audience, I think it comes from them actually being shamed by the rest of the big money crowd in the Northeast.

All that said, I wasn't nearly as teed off by the character as I was by Jerry Lawler's comments that followed.

INDIVIDUALIST
Their audience does not skew right. That is a myth perpetrated by limosine liberals who would like that to be the case.

Fact of the matter is that the averge WWE viewer is a Prog. This is probably why they are using the constitution as villianous. Most people that watch wrestling and beleive in it are probably SEIU janitors and AFL CIO workers who smoke pot on their work breaks.

Sorry I have to disagree. I do follow politics closely and the way they're going with the Swagger/Coulter angle right now is just ridiculous and racist. So wait, Sheamus is foreign but if he was champ would this angle work? No, because he's white. It plays on stereotypical xenophobia of a certain portion of the population and is not necessary in the WWE. I watch the WWE to get away from the real world and bringing in a hot button race issue doesn't really do it for me. If they wanted to go "real American" angle they should have brought Swagger back to feud with Cesaro for the US title.

And just to prove how fucking absurd this angle is even in WWE world, Alberto Del Rio in kayfabe is a fucking rich Mexican millionaire with dozens of cars and his own goddamn ring announcer. What exactly is he mooching off of in America? On every level this storyline is stupid at best, and demeaning / racist at its potential worst.

He's a heel. You're supposed to think he's wrong and racist. Boo him!

SMV started selling MP4s of Canadian promotion 'BattleWar' which started up last year out of Montreal, so I thought I'd check out their most recent event - fun show, although the camera positioning leaves a lot to be desired, but that's probably more to do with the tiny venue than anything. There's only a few guys I recognise here, namely Franky the Mobster, Twiggy & Giant Tiger. The 6-man tag with Franky, Twiggy & Mike Bailey vs The Tank Men was a lot of fun and Franky is super over as he throws dudes about the ring. Giant Tiger gets his ass handed to him by Vanessa Kraven, while a flippy dude team called Radioactive Wave (Surfer Mitch Thompson & Travis Toxic) get demolished by Quebecois bruisers Le Tabernak de Team (Mathieu St. Jacques & Thomas "The Pipes" Dubois). The semi-main event is the best match of the card, unsurprisingly, as it features El Generico in one of his last indy appearances against a guy he helped train, Shayne Hawke. This was worth the price of admission alone, as Generico played the arrogant, world-travelled veteran disrespecting and underestimating his opponent, while Hawke did very well drawing sympathy from the home-town crowd and particularly impressed me with his his swift mat-wrestling skills. Although Hawke didn't get to show all that much offence, his excellent counters of Generico's big spots had the crowd believing in the possibility of an upset. Good stuff. The main event is a 'Hardcore Holidays Christmas Tree Death Match' between Dirty Buxx Belmar and The Green Phantom. This was nothing special, but pretty fun, regardless, and I like balcony dives and dumb death-match shit. Not an amazing show, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for BattleWar in the future.

Franky the Mobster's throws Twiggy like he weighs nothing;

ibgtqdGuTzoym6.gif

Thomas Dubois with a big gut-wrench powerbomb off the stage;

i4o7xaJO7BDeo.gif

Shayne Hawke hits his swinging reverse DDT;

ilazRFkeqlXxz.gif

Balcony dive from Dirty Buxx;

ij0eOclzYKt41.gif

Cagey

Banned

The only part of this post that's on point is the gaping plot hole regarding ADR being rich as fuck. Beyond that, this is what wrestling does. And no, the storyline isn't racist. The storyline is about racism. Two entirely different characterizations. If the WWE was rolling with the usual tripe about the babyface American beating the foreigner heel who we hate because he's not American, then that'd be racist.

Wrestling historically is this:

I'M NOT FROM AROUND HERE. I HAVE MY OWN CUSTOMS. BOO ME.

images

The only part of this post that's on point is the gaping plot hole regarding ADR being rich as fuck. Beyond that, this is what wrestling does. And no, the storyline isn't racist. The storyline is about racism. Two entirely different characterizations. If the WWE was rolling with the usual tripe about the babyface American beating the foreigner heel who we hate because he's not American, then that'd be racist.

Wrestling historically is this:

I'M NOT FROM AROUND HERE. I HAVE MY OWN CUSTOMS. BOO ME.

images

Antonio Cesaro and his storyline are not racist. Stereotypical, sure.

How about this. If it's not racist then it's stupid and unnecessary and creatively lazy. We all beat up the WWE about stupid and lazy storylines all the time, so why should this one get a pass?

EDIT: I'd prefer this storyline if Swagger just came out and said the title should be on an American. He's tired of the Del Rios and Sheamuses and Jerichos tainting the title with their foreignness. Sure it's xenophobic and dumb but at least it doesn't unnecessarily involve a hot button immigration issue and really avoids being political.

I think since the wee has for a shot Job at making liable faces we have gotten to comfortable cheering do th heels since they are right all I the time

That beig said I am 100% behind this swagger gimmick

Cagey

Banned
Antonio Cesaro and his storyline are not racist. Stereotypical, sure.

How about this. If it's not racist then it's stupid and unnecessary and creatively lazy. We all beat up the WWE about stupid and lazy storylines all the time, so why should this one get a pass?

I agree, I'd edit my post to emphasize the "BOO THE FOREIGNER" trope is more about xenophobia. It's when specific ethnicity are involved it devolves into racism.

The Cesaro storyline isn't racist because his entire gimmick is actual the Foreigner from Futurama. He's just a generic Not-American person. He's entirely ambiguous. I'M NOT FROM HERE, BOO ME. It's cheap heat. It's also great.

KissVibes

Banned

I think it'll happen at WM29. I believe that Swagger will beat the shit outta Del Rio and Ziggler will turn face by cashing it in on him. Ziggler then fights against racism with his melting-pot of friendship.

I...I actually like this.

Thanks brother!

The shape of the new title is just too similar to the US title making it look like a midcard title. Also looks like a giant graduation ring.

belt_us.jpg

Aaaaaaand this is why Zeb Coulter is a bad idea.

“There are 11 million people living here illegally,” he said. “We are not going to get enough buses to deport them.”

Some audience members shouted out their disapproval.

One man yelled that only guns would discourage illegal immigration. Another man complained that illegal immigrants should never be able to become citizens or vote. A third man said illegal immigrants were illiterate invaders who wanted free government benefits.

somedevil

Smackdown spoiler and I bet now the British press will cover Swagger and Zeb now. lol

* Backstage segment with Zeb Colter, Jack Swagger and Wade Barrett. Zeb says Barrett is part of the problem. Zeb hopes Del Rio and Barrett kill each other.

edit: That tpm article. Those people are just giving the writers material for there upcoming promos.

Top Bottom