• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

Brock should go back to this

Brock-Lesnar-With-Beard.jpg

I'm trying to find a good reason to order Wreatlemania this year.

You won't find one. Show's looking mediocre as hell only a month out. Not one confirmed or rumored match I'm looking forward to. I'm sure Wrestlemania fever will be caught by a ton of people, but I'm numb to that kind of hype now, and not feeling into it this year. To be fair, I haven't been truly excited for a WM match since HBK/Taker II, but still...

That cena punk match was one of the best i have seen in the last year...the only thing that let it down was the crappy stfu...punk had to pull cenas arms around to sell it.

My guess on the taker storyline
....Comes out on final raw before WM says he is retiring ....cm punk comes out yadda yadda yadda they have a match at WM ...taker wins ..punk turns face again hugs kisses ect and cena finally turns heel

Rock-Cena
ADR-Swagger
Brock-HHH
Taker-Punk
Sheamus/Orton/???-Shield

What am I missing?

Unless Sheamus is gonna be in two matches at WM then I think he'll be facing Barrett. Or this could just be one of those mini fueds that last only a couple weeks. If it's against the Shield then I think the third man will be Ryback, so he can finally get a win over them.

It's sad that the match I'm looking forward to the most at the moment is ADR and Swagger.

All Japan has been purchased.
The Japanese corporation Speed Partners purchased 100% of the stock of All Japan Pro Wrestling, and will be forming two separate companies to handle both the wrestling and merchandising end.

Nobuo Shiraishi, the president of Speed Partners, made the announcement on Tuesday in Japan. It is expected to lead to major changes in the struggling company.

For those of you who follow Japanese wrestling closely what does this mean?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Sounds to me like running AJPW and using the other side to sell 'Legends' merch. Like Muta shirts and Baba stuff(if they can). Trying to bank on AJPW's nostalgia.

I love Wai Ting and John Pollock. Their interation is great. I wish they could take over the Law, so we can be spared from Jason Agnew's cynicism.

And the Mania card is "safe" and there to try to generate as much revenue as possible. If we're looking at star power, it's looking better than last year with Brock/HHH, Cena/Rock, Punk/Taker and the controversial Swagger/Del Rio. Throw in the Shield, Jericho, Ziggler and a few other undercarders and it's a good card...

IF WWE production is top notch and the wrestlers bring their working boots.

I'm going to Mania this year. It's going to be my first one.

I just got done listening to Observer Radio today and apparently Vince was super pissed about the piledriver last night. Nothing should happen to Cena or Punk but the agent for the match might be in trouble.

Edit.

it's free today, so everyone have a listen!

www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/112-wrestling-observer/29970-free-today-feb-26-wrestling-observer-radio-bryan-alvarez-and-dave-meltzer-talk-raw-from-monday-big-wrestlemania-matches-set-vince-flips-his-lid-cyclon-negro-rousey-buyrate-estimates-from-saturday-aldo-vs-pettis-tons-more

Entropia

No One Remembers
I just got done listening to Observer Radio today and apparently Vince was super pissed about the piledriver last night. Nothing should happen to Cena or Punk but the agent for the match might be in trouble.

That sucks, that was the highlight of the match.

When I saw Punk with Cena's head between his legs I was like "Is he going to do a power bomb too??"

BUT NO! A FUCKING PILEDRIVER!

I think as long as both wrestlers are cool with each other, trust each other, etc and discuss the use of a piledriver before the match than it should be OK.

No idea, but Mutoh has been looking to sell All Japan for a good few years now, but it's only recently that he's managed to build the company back to a favourable position. If their new owners can provide the backing Mutoh wasn't willing or able to provide on his own, then we could see All Japan reclaim the no.2 spot in Japan (if they haven't already, NOAH is in a sorry state).

God, just retire already, Vince, and take PG with you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
God, just retire already, Vince, and take PG with you.

Hey now, I thought that the piledriver was taken out of the rotation because it's too dangerous. Or rather...has had too many problems.

April 7th Mania Weekend DGUSA line-up;

Main Event #1 - The Six Man Tradition Continues
CIMA's Team vs. Johnny Gargano's Team
participants will be announced soon!!!

Main Event #2 - Battle Of The Best
Shingo vs. Akira Tozawa

Ladders Are Legal High-Flyers FRAY!
Two competitors start. Another enters the ring every two minutes. Eliminations can take place at anytime by pinfall, submission or DQ. Ladders are legal once all participants enter.
Already entered: Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Samuray Del Sol, Facade with more to be added!!!

Special Challenge Match
Brian Kendrick vs. Chuck Taylor

Tag Team Attraction
The Super Smash Brothers vs. Sami Callihan & Arik Cannon

Plus more to be signed with:
-Ricochet
-AR Fox
-Jon Davis
-Rich Swann
-Uhaa Nation
-Christina Von Eerie
-EITA
-The Scene
-Tony Nese

Hopefully that Shingo vs Tozawa match will be for the belt once Shingo beats Johnny. Actually, I may not even order this one if Shingo fails to beat Johnny. To quote Owen, enough is enough and it's time for a change!

Also, that Ladders are Legal FRAY match sounds like a bad idea, should be a fun spot-fest, though hopefully no one is injured.

Hey now, I thought that the piledriver was taken out of the rotation because it's too dangerous. Or rather...has had too many problems.

When botched it can be dangerous, just like a lot of moves WWE are perfectly OK with.

Brinbe

Man, I loved that piledriver spot. We understand the dangers of it, so of course it had such a surprising impact because of how rarely it is seen and used nowadays.

And for Rock-Cena, they're going with Greatness vs Redemption? What is he redeeming? The one loss last year that didn't hurt him at all? Underdog Cena is most annoying Cena, gotta overcome those odds again.

Whoever said it earlier was right, but that they're booking this as the most anti-IWC card (at last results-wise) in front of this crowd is a recipe for disaster (and hilarity). Doubly so if the weather is still this bad six weeks from now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When botched it can be dangerous, just like a lot of moves WWE are perfectly OK with.

Right, I just meant because there's been too many injuries due to that spot in particular. They're all deathtraps, but the piledriver has been botched too much.

Punk is perfectly trustworthy to do the move.

Doesn't sound like it. Most people are, no doubt, but...yknow.

Ithil

Man, I loved that piledriver spot. We understand the dangers of it, so of course it had such a surprising impact because of how rarely it is seen and used nowadays.

And for Rock-Cena, they're going with Greatness vs Redemption? What is he redeeming? The one loss last year that didn't hurt him at all? Underdog Cena is most annoying Cena, gotta overcome those odds again.

Whoever said it earlier was right, but that they're booking this as the most anti-IWC card (at last results-wise) in front of this crowd is a recipe for disaster (and hilarity). Doubly so if the weather is still this bad six weeks from now.

You didn't hear the crap from last night? "JOHN CENA IS BACK!". They're really playing it as though Cena's been at the bottom of card ever since his loss to the Rock and this is finally his big moment where he wins the big one at long last.

To anyone with more than one brain cell, this is obviously a load of utterly dishonest garbage. But yes, this is the angle Vince has decided on, John Cena's heroic hero's redemption at Wrestlemania where he's "back on top", despite having not left for a second at any point.

Right, I just meant because there's been too many injuries due to that spot in particular. They're all deathtraps, but the piledriver has been botched too much.

It shouldn't really be a regular feature, the same goes for a bunch of head drop moves, but I'd just like them to slightly up the frequency with which we see piledrivers and suplex variations and powerbombs, because that shit is so rare in WWE that everyone freaks the fuck out when one of those moves are hit. I dunno, maybe that's a good thing, but I'd just like to see more wrestling in my wrestling, if that makes any sense?

Also, whatever happened to the counting punches in the corner spot? Or strike exchanges in general? I miss all that from the WWE style.

jred2k

I'd trust CM Punk to do a piledriver much quicker than I'd trust Ryback to do a back body drop. Ryback does a back body drop pretty much every week, though.

I was hyped for last year's WrestleMania but I am not hyped at all for this year's. Really not looking forward to hearing, "HE'S DONE IT. CENA HAS REDEEMED HIMSELF! HE'S BEATEN THE GREAT ONE! THE CHAMP IS TRULY HERE!"

Also, whatever happened to the counting punches in the corner spot? Or strike exchanges in general? I miss all that from the WWE style.

I was thinking about that other day after watching Survivor Series 1989! Corner punches just disappeared, yet it's one of the few 'crowd interaction' moves.

Really awesome match between Cena and Punk again, I get that people are annoyed with Cenas pop up on and off selling but lets face it he's appealing to the kids and they love the against all odds shit

Legit marked out for the Cenabomb (which looked good) and more so for the Punkdriver

Cagey

Banned
You didn't hear the crap from last night? "JOHN CENA IS BACK!". They're really playing it as though Cena's been at the bottom of card ever since his loss to the Rock and this is finally his big moment where he wins the big one at long last.

To anyone with more than one brain cell, this is obviously a load of utterly dishonest garbage. But yes, this is the angle Vince has decided on, John Cena's heroic hero's redemption at Wrestlemania where he's "back on top", despite having not left for a second at any point.

ibogJ2oD1ne6eO.gif

Someone shop Cena's face onto the right side of the billboard... and onto Drizzy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally! Found uncut Hall of Fame broadcasts from 04-12. I finally get to see these suckers in their entirety. Man, been looking for this for a long time.

I was hyped for last year's WrestleMania but I am not hyped at all for this year's. Really not looking forward to hearing, "HE'S DONE IT. CENA HAS REDEEMED HIMSELF! HE'S BEATEN THE GREAT ONE! THE CHAMP IS TRULY HERE!"

Yeah, that's going to be such a sour ending - even if the show is great, even is Cena vs Rock II is great, that super-telegraphed ending is really going to put me off spending any money on Mania.

It also doesn't help that there's A TON of indy shows on iPPV that weekend, all far more deserving of my money;

April 5th; EVOLVE (4PM), Ring of Honor (7.30PM), CZW (8PM), Kaiju Big Battel (11.55PM)

April 6th; SHIMMER (12PM), CHIKARA (4PM), Dragon Gate USA (8PM), $5 Wrestling (11.55PM)

April 7th; Dragon Gate USA (1PM)

Hmmm, looks like I'll be watching EVOLVE, ROH, SHIMMER, CHIKARA, DGUSA, $5 Wrestling & DGUSA again over Mania weekend. Fuck, that's a lot of shows.

Mr. Luchador said:
I was thinking about that other day after watching Survivor Series 1989! Corner punches just disappeared, yet it's one of the few 'crowd interaction' moves.

Yeah, it seems really strange to me that they wouldn't do that spot any more - the crowds always seem into it whenever you see it on indy shows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bootaaay, Dragonzord, and more - I need y'all's help.

I'm looking for a definitive puro event from the 90s - that showcases a ton of American monsters (and some Japanese but there's less of them) - against Japanese wrestlers.

Things like BIG VAN VADER and STEVE WILLIAMS and more - but what I want is one of the events picked out in particular that you think are one of the most solid and amazing shows ever from top to bottom.

Laserfrog

My eyes zoomed in on $5 wrestling wha when how buy buy buy

Oh april 6th. I was too excited to read the rest and assumed it was this weekend. That would have been too good to be true.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Man I have so much to watch. Fantasticamania is my next one I need to get done. And I don't even watch WWE anymore!

@Sunflower

i always enjoyed WCW NJPW Superhow in 93.

excellent mix of Japanese and NA talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnW1zjOcAEo

I remember this one very well, it was truly excellent! That's the right time period for what I'm looking for, though - definitely. What a cool PPV concept and lots of credit to WCW for bringing it here.

@Sunflower

here's another one on my YT playlist:

NJPW Supershow at the Dome 1993

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z21hEYR3O80

the card:

MAIN EVENT: Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu & Genichiro Tenryu

WWF Champion Hulk Hogan vs. Keiji Mutoh

IWGP Tag Champions Kensuke Sasaki & Road Warrior Hawk vs. Masa Chono & Shinya Hashimoto

Hiroshi Hase vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Sting vs. Scott Norton

Jushin Liger vs. Tiger Mask III

Hiro Saito, Super Strong Machine, Tatsutoshi Goto, Ashura Hara, & Takashi Ishikawa vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi, Masashi Aoyagi, Great Kabuki, Kengo Kimura, & Shiro Koshinaka

Masa Saito vs. Brutus Beefcake

Michiyoshi Ohara vs. Akitoshi Saito

El Samuari, Akira Nogami, & Takayuki Iizuka vs. Hiroyoshi Yamamato, Satoshi Kojima, & Osamu Nishimura

My DDP yoga came so I just tried a quick 15 minute core workout, that was hard enough for a beginner! Really enjoyed it though I need to make time t do it often

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is it true about a pinball table review sunflow? If so I can't wait.

It is, but I can't help but feel like a plain-ass review is a waste. I'm internally fighting. I need a real show concept, not reviews.

BTW everyone, the new Star Wars Pinball tables releasing on the 27th are the shit, best tables PFX2 has had yet. Buy em. So good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
@Sunflower

here's another one on my YT playlist:

NJPW Supershow at the Dome 1993

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z21hEYR3O80

the card:

MAIN EVENT: Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu & Genichiro Tenryu

WWF Champion Hulk Hogan vs. Keiji Mutoh

IWGP Tag Champions Kensuke Sasaki & Road Warrior Hawk vs. Masa Chono & Shinya Hashimoto

Hiroshi Hase vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Sting vs. Scott Norton

Jushin Liger vs. Tiger Mask III

Hiro Saito, Super Strong Machine, Tatsutoshi Goto, Ashura Hara, & Takashi Ishikawa vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi, Masashi Aoyagi, Great Kabuki, Kengo Kimura, & Shiro Koshinaka

Masa Saito vs. Brutus Beefcake

Michiyoshi Ohara vs. Akitoshi Saito

El Samuari, Akira Nogami, & Takayuki Iizuka vs. Hiroyoshi Yamamato, Satoshi Kojima, & Osamu Nishimura

That's a hellacious lineup, added this to my list - this hits all sorts of high spots I want. Thank you Lambda! and of course TENRYU! And Hase's mustache. Helllll yeah.

Isn't czw doing cage of death I might have to watch that

Doesn't look like they're doing a cage, but they have some pretty good matches lined up...I may have to give ROH a skip if their card isn't all that special. Here's the CZW stuff announced;

. Masada (c) vs 'Crazy Monkey' Jun Kasai
. Greg Excellent vs Colt Cabana
. Aerial Assault: Shane Strickland vs AR Fox vs Rich Swann vs Chiva Kid - plus more participants to be announced.
. The Sumerian Death Squad (Tommy End & Michael Dante) make their US debut!

Sunflower said:
Bootaaay, Dragonzord, and more - I need y'all's help.

I'm looking for a definitive puro event from the 90s - that showcases a ton of American monsters (and some Japanese but there's less of them) - against Japanese wrestlers.

Things like BIG VAN VADER and STEVE WILLIAMS and more - but what I want is one of the events picked out in particular that you think are one of the most solid and amazing shows ever from top to bottom.

Hmmm, that's a tough one - maybe the 'NJPW vs AJPW & AWA Superfight in Tokyo Dome' (which has Benoit's Japanese debut, that Hansen vs Vader bout, Steve Williams vs Salman Hashimikov and a main event of Inoki & Sakaguchi vs Hashimoto & Chono, with Lou Thesz as the ref).

Or, 'NJPW Battlefield in Tokyo Dome 1994' (Hawk & Power Warrior vs Hercules & Scott Norton, Jushin Liger vs Tiger Mask III, The Steiners vs Mutoh & Hase, Hulk vs Fujinami, Hashimoto vs Chono and Inoki vs Tenryu);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXEJyvbteZg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zPZQvJGl4

*edit, Tenryu vs Inoki was cut from that video, for some reason, so here it is; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCDbtecHkfY

Laserfrog said:

This one'll be streamed via www.WWNLive.com on April 7th, 11.55PM EST (4.55AM for us poor UK folk, so I'll probably have to catch the replay).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, that's a tough one - maybe the 'NJPW vs AJPW & AWA Superfight in Tokyo Dome' (which has Benoit's Japanese debut, that Hansen vs Vader bout, Steve Williams vs Salman Hashimikov and a main event of Inoki & Sakaguchi vs Hashimoto & Chono, with Lou Thesz as the ref).

This sounds excellent, I will look around and see if I can find it as well. Also marked your youtube links - I should be set for the next week with my dose of monsters.

Top Bottom