• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Honestly, I never much cared for Claudio who got in all those stupid, convoluted spots with Quackenbush. It's why I couldn't accept Cesaro for a while because I never 'got it'. But I think he's phenomenal in the WWE style as just a big strong/bruiser type who can work against a giant too. He tells much better stories in the ring than the usual stuff he did in ROH and Chikara.

I do wish he would bring back the super long stalling suplex though.

Kyoufu

Cesaro's heat:

make him rename the USA title to European title and bury the american audiences. make it a Bret Hart situation, where he's a heel in the US but a face outside of it.

and by bury i mean really fuckin bury. mention how the average european is smarter, how the europeans don't have a mass shooting every week, everything he can muster to draw near-riot levels of heat.

How many RAWs a year are they outside of the US for that to work?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
not many, but during Hart's heel run they didn't leave the USA that much either.

I don't think WWE was ever intending for the Harts to be faces in Canada, it just kind of happened. Calling Cena 'controversial' is just them showing how much they loathe when people don't play along with who to cheer for

He tells much better stories in the ring than the usual stuff he did in ROH and Chikara.

Well, I think it's because the WWE style gives him more opportunity to do so, especially in ROH where he was mainly a tag team wrestler for half his career there. But that's not to say he wasn't already adept at working a match with a great story back then - specifically, if you want some Claudio matches with a good story, check out the cage match with Brodie Lee and his matches with Sara Del Rey and Eddie Kingston in CHIKARA, and his world title match against Takeshi Morishima in ROH.

Dragonzord said:
Honestly, I never much cared for Claudio who got in all those stupid, convoluted spots with Quackenbush.

Quack's gonna Quack. But, to be fair, THAT match at TPI 2006 was pretty awesome at the time, even if Quack does overdo it on the ridiculously convoluted lucha spots. Personally, my biggest problem with Quack is that he's a freaking tiny dude, but has all sorts of drivers in his war crate. Just doesn't look right.

I'm thinking about going to that show. I've always wanted to check out a GNO but haven't yet.

It should be a fun show, especially the main event, even if the line-up isn't quite as packed as previous GNO's.

Leva Bates - sup?

Rawr.

ibycYlIE8iZWX.jpg

Cesaro's heat:

make him rename the USA title to European title and bury the american audiences. make it a Bret Hart situation, where he's a heel in the US but a face outside of it.

and by bury i mean really fuckin bury. mention how the average european is smarter, how the europeans don't have a mass shooting every week, everything he can muster to draw near-riot levels of heat.

I'm not sure the majority of WWE fans actually understand his gimmick. He comes out waving a flag, he says he loves America, but just doesn't like Americans. 2/3 ain't bad! If you watched him on mute you wouldn't know he's suppose to be this horrible heel that hates Americans. Kids won't understand, and the adults 'like him' because he wrestles well.

He does need to go up a gear, renaming the US Title to the European Title is an interesting idea as that's a clear change. If he dropped the US title in the trash or had a funeral for it or something, really sold it. The Death of America and gave a whole load of reasons close to the knuckle.
I'd personally stay clear of mentioning any of the shootings as that's too close to home right now, and is pretty much in bad taste.
It doesn't help that you never know what type of crowd you're going to get though. WWE is in a strange place right now. PG crowds with vocal smart fans.

So at this point I think it's safe to say Barrett's IC title run has made Kofi's run look pretty damn good, why is this happening?!

Jamie OD

I don't think WWE was ever intending for the Harts to be faces in Canada, it just kind of happened. Calling Cena 'controversial' is just them showing how much they loathe when people don't play along with who to cheer for

WWE never explains why Cena is controversial, do they?

I know the reason. Just pointing it out.

Oh, hey, I almost forgot ROH is a thing. They too have an iPPV in the next month, celebrating ROH's 11th Anniversary, complete with a horrid poster;

Ring of Honor - 11th Anniversary - March 2nd, Chicago Ridge, IL

iiW9BQ011TO2r.jpg

God, that's a horrid poster.

• ROH World Title Match: Kevin Steen (c) vs Jay Lethal
  • ROH World Tag Team Title Match: The Briscoe Brothers (c) vs Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly
  • Dream Tag Team Match: The American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)
  • 2/3 Falls, Truth is banned from ringside: Michael Elgin vs Roderick Strong
  • ROH World TV Title Match: Adam Cole (c) vs
    Matt Taven

Not a terrible line-up so far, but I really don't care about Lethal. Like, at all. His turn was absolutely awful, and the last vestige of Cornette booking in ROH, so hopefully Steen beats him and we can forget about this whole torrid affair. God, I don't want to see Lethal as ROH champ.

Also, while ROH throws about the 'Dream Tag Match!!!!' shit like they're still being booked by Gabe, I'm pretty excited to see the Wolves vs Hooligans. Three members of the No Remorse Corps in the same ring! Also, Strong vs Elgin will be fine, I'm sure, and finally put to rest this super drawn-out storyline. Elgin has to be the next world champ, as far as I'm concerned.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why does RoH insist on making their product look as amateurish as they possibly can? Both on and off TV mind you. I don't get it.

Why the hell are so many wrestlers smoking spice? Does that mean regular marijuana doesn't get them in trouble?
Sun touched on both reasons:
Read up some on Spice, apparently it just gives them a rough effect of pot without showing up on a generic pot test.
Apparently Spice does a little "extra"
They have tests for it now (in gov't jobs, especially), but for the most part, it doesn't show up on your average drug screen.

And yes, it does extra. It's also a lot more addictive than marijuana.

Kaladin

I don't care at all for that ROH PPV. Any excitement I once had for that company has been drained by a limited roster and meh booking.

see5harp

I watched a match last night for fun and there was a huge dumb looking guy named jack swagger. In a few months is he going to be a feared champion in some PPV event?

God, just look at Jay Lethal's ridiculous fucking face on that thing. "AHHHHH, I'M REALLY ANGRY!!! ARE YOU BUYING HOW ANGRY AND INTENSE MY CHARACTER IS YET?!?!?!"

I think we can all agree that TNA dropped the ball on Lethal after that awesome Flair confrontation, but even worse is how ROH has sapped any sort of passion or charisma from Jay Lethal's persona. He is so awfully bland and nondescript at present.

Why does RoH insist on making their product look as amateurish as they possibly can? Both on and off TV mind you. I don't get it.

I don't think anyone quite understands it. Like most, I'm sure, I thought that production values would increase across the board once a proper broadcasting company took control. The TV did improve a bit, but not dramatically, and the iPPVs (when they worked properly) have been of a high-quality, but in every other regard they're falling behind other indies, rather than making any sort of challenge to TNA or WWE.

Mr. Sandman said:
I don't care at all for that ROH PPV. Any excitement I once had for that company has been drained by a limited roster and meh booking.

If you had told me a few years back that I wouldn't be excited for a Briscoes match on one of ROH's biggest shows of the year, I wouldn't have believed you.

I feel like ROH needs another re-boot.

I think the worst thing about that poster is that it's actually an improvement over their usual shit.

Indy posters fucking suck across the board.
EDIT: 'Cept Chikara and sometimes PWG

I'm really confused as to why all those matches against Randy Orton weren't title matches.
Because Orton is above such trifling titles.

It's the IC title. It may as well not exist.
Yeah but even the other guys had feuds, Barrett's run has been a whole load of nothing and jobbing to Bo Freaking Dallas, if this is his title feud then it's the suckiest angle that ever sucked.

Why they haven't done this yet is beyond me.

Patriotic face Swagger doesn't do a lot for me but if Cesaro managed to really heel it up in such a role then Swagger could get a good face reaction by association.

This appeared in my twitter feed. List of indie stars who had wwe tryouts

http://wrestlechat.net/exclusive-li...ut-camp-this-past-weekend-who-stood-out-most/

-
Mike Bennett (Current ROH star, fiance of former WWE Diva, Maria Kanelis)

- Adam Cole (Current PWG World Champion, ROH Television Champion, & CZW star)

- Luke Hawx (Current Wildkat Sports Owner/Trainer who has appeared on several live WWE shows since 2008)

- Samurai Del Sol (Current DGUSA & Evolve star)

- Ricky Reyes (Known for work in WWC, ROH, and PWG. One-Half of “Havana Pitbulls” with Rocky Romero)

- Smith “Big Game” James (Team Taz student known for work in NECW & NWA)

According to two separate sources, WWE officials were extremely impressed with many of the people that attended this weekend. One source told us that Friday wasn’t a good day for just about any of them and that Saturday was easily the best day for the group. Of the names listed above, we’re told that Adam Cole, Luke Hawx, and Smith James stood out the most among everyone.

jred2k

Cesaro's heat:

You really want him to become the next Muhammad Hassan? He'd be off TV faster than you can say Kofi Kingston.

izakq

Wasn't there something minor going on between the US and Canada at the time? I can't remember what it was. And the WWE used this to further this US vs. Canada rivaly with the Harts vs the Patriot, Austin and others?

This appeared in my twitter feed. List of indie stars who had wee tryouts

Adam Cole is the future, so no surprise that they're interested in him. Bennett also has the makings of a prototypical WWE guy, while Samuray Del Sol is just about the best high-flyer around (now PAC & Generico have left for the big leagues). Interesting that Reyes got a try-out. I've always been fond of him, but he's getting on a bit and isn't exactly the tallest of dudes.

Cagey

Banned
Adam Cole is the future, so no surprise that they're interested in him. Bennett also has the makings of a prototypical WWE guy, while Samuray Del Sol is just about the best high-flyer around (now PAC & Generico have left for the big leagues). Interesting that Reyes got a try-out. I've always been fond of him, but he's getting on a bit and isn't exactly the tallest of dudes.

A failed WWE run would be the best thing for Mike Bennett's ROH career.

Aiii

So not worth it
- What are your favorite series of all time?
AJ: Cowboy Bebop.
- Awesome! Good choice.
AJ: Yeah, there’s something so haunting about that and Faye Valentine is, I think, one of the most interesting female characters. I love her! And I actually had a term paper in high school and I did it about the anime and females and I actually did an interview with Wendee Lee who was her voice actress in the English version and that’s actually where the original idea for Lee in my name came from because I loved Wendee Lee’s voice so much and I love Faye so much so it’s a little shout out.

Commence hate:

SoulPlaya

more money than God
AJ is a nerd in the sense that a lot of people were nerds back in the day. FF and MGS were pretty mainstream games here in the West in the PSX/PS2 era, and most kids watched Toonami back in the day.

I doubt she's all that into anime and video games now, and honestly, it makes her more appealing to me, if she isn't.

Sokantish

AJ is a nerd in the sense that a lot of people were nerds back in the day. FF and MGS were pretty mainstream games here in the West in the PSX/PS2 era, and most kids watched Toonami back in the day.

I doubt she's all that into anime and video games now, and honestly, it makes her more appealing to me, if she isn't.

Yeah but it'd make her more appealing to you if she were like 6 ft whatever and wore a stupid mask, whatever what I'm saying is she'd be more appealing to you if she were Kane! So what do you know?!

Cowboy Bebop is awesome

I just realised this dude was Altar Boy Luke from XPW. And he was on Wrestling Society-X. He was awful there, too.

Well that makes sense. Hadn't realised who it was at the time, but yeah, he was terrible then. Thing is he was wrestling Steven Richards on this show, who generally does a decent job of making people look at least OK, but there was helping this guy. Just horrible in the ring, I couldn't point to one aspect I didn't like, I just didn't like any of it.

Then he went on to feud with Matt Hardy!! ERgh.

Top Bottom