• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Who is that guy?

Samuray Del Sol, brother! Kalisto in NXT. Dude's got a great, great ability set. Speaks English well, great physique, beautiful masku, breathtaking moves.

Xater

Samuray Del Sol, brother! Kalisto in NXT. Dude's got a great, great ability set. Speaks English well, great physique, beautiful masku, breathtaking moves.

Oh so it's the guy I saw in the clip with the Solomon Crowe appearance. If he is really good and speaks english he should already be on the main roster. Why did they even bother with trying to make Mistico work?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kalisto has crossover appeal, imho. Kinda like how when WCW threw luchadors in there, they got over by being hands-off with their angles and rarely mixing with the big talents and storylines - that was important. I hope Kalisto doesn't get stuck in purgatory like that. Or like Sin Cara did.
Oh so it's the guy I saw in the clip with the Solomon Crowe appearance. If he is really good and speaks english he should already be on the main roster. Why did they even bother with trying to make Mistico work?
Mistico was supposed to work :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My tireless OT work means nothing.......NOTHING!

**leaks to WrassleGaf dirt sheets that Mr. Sandman has taken his ball and gone home**

OTs can't compare to
GvBU33m.jpg

Goddamn striations.

kiguel182

They break kayfabe constantly on show and especially in media. Their own media. Like DVDs or interviews.

I'm not the biggest fan of breaking kayfabe on their shows. It can work but only when it comes back for a storyline and not just for no reason. RAW is a TV show so we are suppose to believe that everything that happens there is true.

But, Punk left and he isn't part of the show. This isn't like the Bryan thing where WWE is/was actively keeping him down against the audience's will. Punk left and they would probably like him to come back, the audiences highjacking the show will not change anything.

In other news, if Del Rio leaves then there's at least some good news this week. What a waste of TV time, boring guy that hasn't done anything with everything that was given to him. There are way better guys in the sidelines that deserve his spot. He won't be missed.

tm24

International exposure. If Mistico had worked, WWE could of easily snuffed out at least CMLL and severely hurt AAA and owned mexico.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WWF Superstars 6/6/92

Coming to you "live" from Lexington, Kentucky. Vince McMahon and Mr. Perfect will be handling commentary duties. We'll have an update on Big Boss Man, Gene talks to Papa Shango, Bret Hart in action, along with the Nasty Boys, Crush, and the Repo Man!

Bret Hart vs Tom Stone (?)

Not super sure on the jobber's name as he didn't get a name plate and he was announced with Bret's music and girls screaming. Of note is Bret wearing white boots with pink trim instead of his usual black. HBK had a picture in picture promo saying he was going to take the IC Championship. Quick and easy win for Bret. Lots of high pitched squeals for Bret.

iq4krXNOyjJn2.gif

TO THE UPDATE CENTER. Gene gives us some updates brought to you by ICO PRO, the official sponsor of the WBF. Last week, Nailz brutalized the Big Boss Man with his own night stick. We're shown the footage. Vince sold it exactly the same as Kane's debut. "That's gotta be him, that's gotta be him, that's gotta be him!" Nailz really laid it in, too. It was a pretty legit beat down. Boss Man was cuffed to the ropes and beaten with the nightstick, then cuffed behind his back while Nailz choked him with the stick and slapping the shit out of him.We also got some words from Nailz. Please tell me his voice was modulated, because it was creepy as fuck. Creepy as a kid, creepy now.

iRpZLn3aysGKj.gif

ibcqHCPwQSgAb5.gif

Reno Riggins/Major Yates vs The Nasty Boys

Fuck. High Energy got a PIP promo. Quick squash for the Nasty Boys. Fuck Knobs.

WBF commercial! It's done in the style of Royal Rumble promos. The championship PPV airs next Saturday!

ibrZ6tmg1VljOm.gif

The Texas Tornado vs Mike Collins

Tornado got a PIP promo for his own match. Easy win for the Tornado. Dude looked totally spaced out.

ibmRYBr7OicDqw.gif

The Beverly Brothers vs Mike Samples/Scott Bailey

The Beverlys took LOD shoulder pads off this little black kid in the front row and painted LOS in yellow. JERKS. Legion of Suck? Legion of Sissies? Squash. One of the jobbers got painted after the match.

Crush vs George Anderson

Was Crush ever acknowledged as being the same Crush from Demolition or was that just assumed? We're back to talking about Boss Man. It's possible he won't ever come back from the beating. Crush believes Gary Strydom will CRUSH the competition at the WBF Championship. Quick squash. Crush helped his opponent up after the match.

iEvCiTx6xfpEo.gif

TO THE MEAN GENE.
Gene talks with Papa Shango. Last week he made a dude's boots catch on fire or something. I have to assume Papa Shango was a rip off of the bad guys in Predator 2. I don't actually remember that much about Papa Shango, but the dude is pretty fucking weird. We're shown clips of the weird shit happening to Warrior, such as doubling over in pain and evil goo oozing from his head. Shame Godfather never figured out how to wrestle. Papa cursed Gene, which made his hand turn into Ash's hand and drop the mic.

ilCr0Ah7IosPC.gif

iAxxiGbcHY1w9.gif

Kato/Kevin Kruger vs High Energy

I wonder why Kato wasn't just doing jobs as Paul Diamond. I'll assume there was never an explanation as to why Kato was suddenly teaming with white jobbers. Easy win for High Energy. Sadly, nothing really to gif from Owen. Too short.

ibs4YwRRMTuo2C.gif

The Repo Man vs Dan Robbins

Repo Man is so goofy. And obviously Smash. Quick win with a half crab.

An hour long show gets across more stories and angles than 3 hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown today. Every match had a promo for an upcoming match, recaps of Boss Man/Nailz and Shango/Warrior. Yes, all the matches were squash matches, but they also were all done to build up to something else. Bulldog vs Repo, Nasty Boys vs High Energy, Bret vs HBK, Beverlys vs LOD. More shit was progressed in an hour than 6 hours of WWE TV plus online stuff is in 2014. Ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, I haven't taken my ball and gone home...I'm back for that Mania season payday.

Nobody wants to walk out on Mania.

That's another thing that's kinda nagged at the back of my mind with Punk - if it is the Network payouts, why walk out on a Mania payday? Sure, it's probably a combination of a lot of things, but still. Maybe he was encouraging others with this action that they don't need WWE (although a lot of them do, no employable skills otherwise.)

To be fair though WWE prepares their people with a big skillset beyond just wrestling. There's a ridiculous amount of personal appearances, learning how to speak in front of crowds and much more.

Sabucin

I don't know where comes from that such a hate for Del Rio.
Dude, the guy is very good inside the ring; his wrestling psychology is amazing.
Seriously, he certainly knows how to work a match. His wrestling skills are awesome too. The only thing that he has to improve is his promos (is like Drew Mcyntire, no matter how they insult to the crowd, they make no reaction at all).

It calls my attention that some people really disguise Del Rio because of his lack of "It factor", but they mark the ass out for guys like Adrian Neville or Antonio Cesaro; who they are amazing athletes but they suck in promos.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
legitshook.com

ibrZ6tmg1VljOm.gif

An hour long show gets across more stories and angles than 3 hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown today. Every match had a promo for an upcoming match, recaps of Boss Man/Nailz and Shango/Warrior. Yes, all the matches were squash matches, but they also were all done to build up to something else. Bulldog vs Repo, Nasty Boys vs High Energy, Bret vs HBK, Beverlys vs LOD. More shit was progressed in an hour than 6 hours of WWE TV plus online stuff is in 2014. Ridiculous.

Comfort food. First, that gif is comfort everything. So good.

Seriously though. You build a PPV with squashes. People say "Well WWE has so much content they have to produce" but it feels like they are forcing too much on their people. We don't have squashes anymore. What's a squash do? It puts over your talent in the ring without a doubt, AND gives you room to add any motivation you want to the PPV build. You use a squash match right, since it's a low impact match you use PIP for a promo. Maybe even 2 of them, one from each opponent. It isn't rocket science.

We need squash matches back. When you don't have squashes, you're stuck with Kofi or Del Rio stuff - which means nobody takes them as a credible threat because they've been doing the jobs instead of nonames.

Xater

I don't know where comes from that such a hate for Del Rio.
Dude, the guy is very good inside the ring; his wrestling psychology is amazing.
Seriously, he certainly knows how to work a match. His wrestling skills are awesome too. The only thing that he has to improve is his promos (is like Drew Mcyntire, no matter how they insult to the crowd, they make no reaction at all).

It calls my attention that some people really disguise Del Rio because of his lack of "It factor", but they mark the ass out for guys like Adrian Neville or Antonio Cesaro; who they are amazing athletes but they suck in promos.

I find Cesaro infinitely more entertaining in the ring than Del Rio. Dude had a 5 star match on NXT last year. Did Del Rio have one ever?

strobogo

Banned
ADR is really good. He just can't make a connection with the crowd for whatever reason. If you watch his matches in a vacuum (and not the same repeated matches with Kofi/Rey/Sin Caras), it's hard to deny that he's good in the ring. I think instantly starting out as a forced main eventer made it so fans never made a connection with him.

Sephzilla

Comfort food. First, that gif is comfort everything. So good.

Seriously though. You build a PPV with squashes. People say "Well WWE has so much content they have to produce" but it feels like they are forcing too much on their people. We don't have squashes anymore. What's a squash do? It puts over your talent in the ring without a doubt, AND gives you room to add any motivation you want to the PPV build. You use a squash match right, since it's a low impact match you use PIP for a promo. Maybe even 2 of them, one from each opponent. It isn't rocket science.

We need squash matches back. When you don't have squashes, you're stuck with Kofi or Del Rio stuff - which means nobody takes them as a credible threat because they've been doing the jobs instead of nonames.

Agreed with everything here. Squash matches had their place.

ADR is really good. He just can't make a connection with the crowd for whatever reason. If you watch his matches in a vacuum (and not the same repeated matches with Kofi/Rey/Sin Caras), it's hard to deny that he's good in the ring. I think instantly starting out as a forced main eventer made it so fans never made a connection with him.

His gimmick didn't do any favors for him either I think.

tm24

I'm just a fired wrestler and trainer guys, I don't know anything
BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING GUYS (Please come to the show)

Like, come on, man. Just roll with it.

I find it hilarious that people were going crazy and saying it was genius that the stream died out and we got no finish. They fucking took your money, didnt give you a finish and ran. Chikara was truly king of the carnies that day. Marks everywhere that day

Kaladin

Yeah, it's their booking of him in the same matches and as a go nowhere heel or babyface that makes it hard to care about him. He's a good wrestler, and he's a Mexican wrestler who can cut good English promos.

He was supposed to be the Mexican JBL / Ric Flair, and if they had booked him strongly as such a character, maybe you'd give a shit about him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a fan of Del Rio. He was great on debut and is great even now. I miss Ricardo though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When Del Rio stopped being an aristocrat it was like when Robert Garcia showed up in KOF without his money. Except it never made sense.

Sabucin

When Del Rio stopped being an aristocrat it was like when Robert Garcia showed up in KOF without his money. Except it never made sense.

I'm not so sure, but I think that his happened when Del Rio turned face? And then when he came back to be heel could be so weird being an aristocrat again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No. He just looks like he had too much make up or something. I think it could have something to do with the general presentation of 1992 being a bit grittier and more...industrial than the bright cartoony presentation of 1988-1991.

WRESTLING AS HARD AS THE WORLD WE LIVE IN

He did look overly tanned though. Must have been all of those vignettes with Monsoon out at Busch Gardens and other places.

I was watching an SNME the other day at lunch and they have everyone doing promos about the city they're in and how they're enjoying it. I like that kind of touch. Then I noticed a lot of weird similarities to Hillbilly Jim and Uncle Elmer and friends as I do with the Wyatts, got weirded out, and left.

Hillbilly Jim's Art of Wrestling episode is really good though. He's a cool dude.

I'm not so sure, but I think that his happened when Del Rio turned face? And then when he came back to be heel could be so weird being an aristocrat again.

Yeah I think that's when it was abandoned. At least we got the Ricardo rumble spot where he showed up in an 86 Datsun.

I find it hilarious that people were going crazy and saying it was genius that the stream died out and we got no finish. They fucking took your money, didnt give you a finish and ran. Chikara was truly king of the carnies that day. Marks everywhere that day

It was basically the equivalent of having a circus, stopping the circus kid last trick, then caving the tent in on your audience as you escape outside

And then when you come back next year everyone is happy!

I really like Del Rio. I will never tire of his delivery of the word 'Perro'.

YOU DAMN PERROSPERROPERROPERRO

Del rio should steal that blue dot thing Christian does .

I agree!

And kudos to tm for giving out those keys! Quite kind of him. I didn't take any but have at it!

If it's anything like the Dr. Keith interview he did before Aniversario last year, I doubt that very much. Kayfabe is king.

Seemed pretty honest about things. Pretty much said the whole thing is an angle and the company had to take a risk to get bigger. None of the sleaze that came out was true. He thinks fans were just trying to fill in gaps of the story with that stuff. Mentions his wife a few times. All of they're social media has grown in the last 8 months. They've run more events this year then ever before with the wrestling is shows including 11 in August so money isn't an issue. Said he could have done things differently to let fans know what was going on a little better but some people get it and some don't so they'll keep doing what they do. Also said they're taking the company on the road for season 14! Few more notes I'm probably forgetting. All in all my faith in Quack has paid off! Time to step out the closet and see the light homie.

they should've worked an angle where he loses his fortune and becomes shoot fighter Del Rio, working from the bottom into riches again. work that Cain Velasquez angle.

Seemed pretty honest about things. Pretty much said the whole thing is an angle and the company had to take a risk to get bigger. None of the sleaze that came out was true. He thinks fans were just trying to fill in gaps of the story with that stuff. Mentions his wife a few times. All of they're social media has grown in the last 8 months. They've run more events this year then ever before with the wrestling is shows including 11 in August so money isn't an issue. Said he could have done things differently to let fans know what was going on a little better but some people get it and some don't so they'll keep doing what they do. Also said they're taking the company on the road for season 14! Few more notes I'm probably forgetting. All in all my faith in Quack has paid off!

King of Trios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom