• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

I thought Del Rio's initial run was very good, with his feud with Mysterio through WM XXVII feud with Edge. I still think he should have beat Edge and spent some months as WHC, but I guess they knew Edge was retiring soon and let him have one last Mania moment. Then after that Del Rio bounced around a little and got shoehorned into the WWE title picture during the Summer of Punk which he should have never been involved in. From there it was very mediocre IMO. He's never been terrible in the ring or on the mic, just predictable.

They didn't know Edge was retiring at WM 27, the idea was that Edge would win at WM, then Del Rio would beat him for the title at Extreme Rules in a ladder match. Edge retiring threw that out the window, and for whatever reason, maybe as a favour to Edge, they gave Christian the title instead (and instantly took it back off him).

i4QSFkKNLZcWm.gif

OMG. I knew what to expect before the gif finished. GOLD

UberTag

Glad I hadn't booked my Seattle flights yet.

Daniel Bryan Burial continues.
Hey, don't be a negative Nancy.
Losing to Triple H at WrestleMania is a big step up from losing to Sheamus.
And D.Brine still gets to close out RAW and Smackdown each week (
until Cena is healthy / the Undertaker starts making his annual pre-Mania appearances
).

Daniel will get his title run next year during football season so the ratings drop can be blamed on him.
Will probably win it off Big Dave at Summerslam after he's had a chance to parade it around to promote that Marvel movie with the raccoon.
He might even be booked stronger as champ than Orton has.

Cagey

Banned
Well that's very disappointing, even if New Jersey will probably be a good crowd. Bryan getting a MITB 2011 moment in Seattle would have been good.

Was just about to ask the same. Isn#t New Jersey like ROH/ECW territory?

Bummer on them not going to Seattle, but the NJ crowd should still take a steaming dump on any shenanigans.

Woo, back in Jersey. I'm excited to do my part in dumping on the proceedings.

jmdajr

I just had this strange vision.

What happens when Triple H does die for real? You know like...

"We are here today to bury HHH..."

I don't know. I just think this like black hole will appear and the whole universe will be destroyed. Just one fucked up paradox.

I don't know. I just think this like black hole will appear and the whole universe will be destroyed. Just one fucked up paradox.
I thought we established the fact that not even death can bury Triple H.

Pavaloo

He's beaten Orton and Cena clean, it's time for a clean loss to Batista and a visual burial for Daniel.

prophecy fulfilled, hunter's master-plan, ruler of all things, etc etc.

Sephzilla

He'll kick out at 2, that or he'll have died because of some doctor's fuck up and not because of natural causes.

You can sure as shit bet that Hunter wont put a disease over.

Pavaloo

Granted it was a house show since they don't do Raw or Smackdown over here
(JERKS)
, but there were a lot of children and older adults (long time fans and parents). Recently had my 8 year old nephew tell me how cool he thought John Cena was. I didn't even know he watches wrasslin!

Kyoufu

I wonder how WWE demographics have changed. Are there still kids at these WWE events? All I hear these days is young men.

Punk opened the door for guys like Bryan to get over when he brought legitimacy back to WWE when he broke the fourth wall in 2011. Slowly but surely he brought marks and smarks back into arenas and now Bryan has them in his pocket.

Punk really did bring change.

jmdajr

Punk opened the door for guys like Bryan to get over when he brought legitimacy back to WWE when he broke the fourth wall in 2011. Slowly but surely he brought marks and smarks back into arenas and now Bryan has them in his pocket.

Punk really did bring change.

No doubt this is the closest the audience has been attitude era like.

Pavaloo

Not going to lie! Only reason I came back was because of The Rock. I stayed for Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Cesaro, etc...
I came back for The Rock. I stayed for Punk. Then I left again because everything sucked so bad.
Yeah and I don't think it's a bad thing, but I would be lying if I said my brother didn't start watching again because of him. Plus all the people I worked with at the time. Which is great! Bringing old eyes to the product to get caught up in new stars, that's what they're there for.

Cagey

Banned
I only started paying attention after several years because of The Rock appearing back in 2011. Like the rest, I kept with it for Punk.

jmdajr

krae_man

Hey, don't be a negative Nancy.
Losing to Triple H at WrestleMania is a big step up from losing to Sheamus.
And D.Brine still gets to close out RAW and Smackdown each week (
until Cena is healthy / the Undertaker starts making his annual pre-Mania appearances
).

Daniel will get his title run next year during football season so the ratings drop can be blamed on him.
Will probably win it off Big Dave at Summerslam after he's had a chance to parade it around to promote that Marvel movie with the raccoon.
He might even be booked stronger as champ than Orton has.

I was looking forward to a Seattle WrassleGAF meetup. I wanted to hang with my Seattle Wrestling peeps.

Sephzilla

I gotta agree with some of the others. Before Rock's comeback I was watching part time (was a die hard during the 90s and early 00s though). Punks pipe bomb made me stick around. And Daniel Bryan stuck with me because wrestling wise I think he's the second coming of Bret Hart.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Quake looks so happy there. Wish he had won the Rumble.

Striker

Del Rio peaked too quickly. What else can achieve at this point? He's won everything and been both HEEL and FACE. He would need a drastic character change to do anything interesting.
He could've been booked better so he wasn't just a main event jobber to the Punk's and Cena's. Makes him a new star in the main event, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom