• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Mouserat, I read an abridged version of that so it's nice to have more.

Punk in MMA would end worse than Batista's MMA fight.

I think.

jmdajr

The subject of Bryan came up and he said that Bryan gets the biggest crowd reactions at the shows, but he doesn’t know if it’s Bryan that is popular or the most popular wrestler, or that people just like screaming “Yes, Yes, Yes.”

Sometimes I wonder myself. I definitely like Bryan, but I have no doubt some fans are just stroking themselves.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I wonder myself. I definitely like Bryan, but I have no doubt some fans are just stroking themselves.

Does a YES! chant equal money and ratings? This is the question.

jmdajr

Absolutely. I think if it was a definitive "yes" if you will, there would have never been any hesitation about putting that rocket on his back.

Just hard to imagine WWE being so dense at obvious box office draw, but there are a ton of other variables.

Like videogames: always the war between hardcore fans and casuals.

What percentage of the audience is which, and what percentage backs up each individual?

Perhaps there can be a balance where merch pushers and hardcore favorites all get a share of the pie.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I agree. We won't know if Bryan is completely over until he comes up with a new catchphrase that is as sophisticated as Boots to Asses and Fruity Pebble.

strobogo

Banned

I think it started out as the fans just wanting something to chant, but now they also chant for Daniel specifically, get mad when they don't see him, and cheer harder when he's out there. As is always the case, it takes some time for the TV audience to sync up with the live audience. Austin was over for a while with live audiences before he kicked in as a ratings draw. It takes time for some one to be a draw and you have to give them the time to do it. You can't give up half way through because business has yet hugely pick up.

Ithil

Of course it does, but only if you actually book Bryan as a top contender. They didn't book Austin or Hogan, or Rock, like this. No more of the "B + troll not worthy" nonsense, book Bryan like a top guy and he will be one. Ratings and buyrates draws are built over time, no one starts as one.

They also chant DANIEL BRYAN, so I don't think that claim still holds water two years on from YESamania.

jmdajr

Of course it does, but only if you actually book Bryan as a top contender. They didn't book Austin or Hogan, or Rock, like this. No more of the "B + troll not worthy" nonsense, book Bryan like a top guy and he will be one. Ratings and buyrates draws are built over time, no one starts as one.

They also chant DANIEL BRYAN, so I don't think that claim still holds water two years on from YESamania.

they also chant JBL

somedevil

That's only a question if you give a performer a top level push and book him strong and not half ass it telling how weak and undeserving he is of a title shot week after week. Also, picking him to a match to Summerslam instead of earning it and also after summerslam him getting beat up week after week really equals money and ratings.

Meltzer is stupid sometimes comparing Bryan to John Cena who has been protected since 2005 to Bryan who has never had that opportunity yet. So of course right now his house shows might draw better.

Also, I doubt its people just chanting yes because that would mean Pittsburgh wouldn't have been hijacked and in Cleveland of all places Bryan got the biggest pop while Batista was getting booed.

Hasney

From all that CM Punk text, I'm most thankful there was a reason for the Kofi/Del Rio match going on so long rather than someone thinking it would be a good idea.

strobogo

Banned
That's only a question if you give a performer a top level push and book him strong and not half ass it telling how weak and undeserving he is of a title shot week after week. Also, picking him to a match to Summerslam instead of earning it and also after summerslam him getting beat up week after week really equals money and ratings.

Meltzer is stupid sometimes comparing Bryan to John Cena who has been protected since 2005 to Bryan who has never had that opportunity yet. So of course right now his house shows might draw better.

Also, I doubt its people just chanting yes because that would mean Pittsburgh wouldn't have been hijacked and in Cleveland of all places Bryan got the biggest pop while Batista was getting booed.

Well, Cleveland started a "Cleveland sucks" chant and produced The Miz and his family, so I'm not sure how to use them as a barometer for anything.

jmdajr

It's funny because Batista hasn't been gone that long. Just thinking about the pops he would get back when Cena and Him were in the Rumble. Is it a completely different audience? Did some fans get bored and want something different? When will they send D.Bry packing like Rey? who knows. That's the way the game is, unless of course you are the game. Then you are there for life.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for Dave because he's done nothing wrong. Just showed up at a bad time. Everything's been completely out of his control. He doesn't deserve any of this.

*except the Title shot.

jmdajr

I feel bad for Dave because he's done nothing wrong. Just showed up at a bad time. Everything's been completely out of his control. He doesn't deserve any of this.

*except the Title shot.

I feel bad for him as well. Fans are out for blood though.

Just a tornado of disrespect all around.

Ithil

A lot of what Meltzer says about that is him trying to explain what WWE thinks, rather than what he thinks. It is obviously unfair, and you don't see someone like Orton get the same unfair scrutiny, but the point is that they don't see money in Bryan, so they look for any sign that there isn't any, even if the sign is ridiculous and makes no sense.
"Well he's not drawing as well as Cena!" is a ridiculous argument, because how could he when Cena's been megapushed for 8 years and Bryan's never been booked as a top guy?

But that's how they think. Bryan doesn't get the benefit of the doubt others do, since he's not a handpicked guy.

mouserat

Neo Member

the way I see it is a reaction doesn't equal money and ratings, good booking does. You can be in the main event of RAW every week all you want but unless you give the casual fans a reason to idolise your number one face then they're not going to tune in for it. Daniel Bryan is popular in spite of his booking, Cena isn't just a main eventer, he is a guy who is booked to look strong and pander to the casual fans. Daniel Bryan is a great wrestler who falls short in every situation, he doesn't get time to show his personality, he is never a badass, he rarely gets to interact with the crowd, he just looks like a brave little dude who can't quite beat the heel but gave it a damn good try. he's not as sympathetic as Foley, not as badass as Austin, not as cartoony as Cena, not as funny as the Rock, not as dominating as Goldberg, not as cocky as HBK. if they booked Daniel Bryan to appeal to casual fans, they could have a real superstar, but they don't seem to want to try.

jmdajr

Cena merch sells well to the kids, Punk sells well to the smarks.. but Bryan.

It's kind of fucked because it looks like kid merch but that's not his fan base for the most part.

I could be totally wrong though. I wish we had demographics for each superstar.

Would be smart. Giant foam fangers.

I'm shocked they haven't done it already. It is literally right there.

They should sell small signs that read YES on one side and NO on the other side. I saw that in an anime once and thought the WWE should use that shit.

Ooh, this is slick too.

Two things: I've said this before, but Diego did the YES shit first, but it was to fucking cartwheels and shit. Bryan gave it a simple motion that everyone could do (kind of by accident since he needed to be able to do it while striding sideways down a ramp, but that doesn't matter).

And he was able to just turn it into his own little tuning up the band thing, thanks to HBK. It's so smart.

And yet no merch. The fuck.

Also, I think we could have another deal similar to when Cena won the EC, then immediately got merked by Batista after.

Daniel wins EC, has title, Trips is all "Oh btw we changed the rules of the Rumble, sorry" and I WALK ALOOOOOOONNNEEEE

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Do they sell beards for children? Fake ones. They should.

Also they should have Bryan do some catchphrase for grown manbabbies to identify with. Something like "I WILL NOT SHAVE MY BEARD FOR YOU" that MLP fans can love and buy "grown folks" merch for.

tumblr_mu3om2hIa01s983r8o1_400.gif

Ithil

That hasn't stopped Cena's merch. Shit is the tackiest stuff possible.

Absolutely, but it's at least all unified and themed. I mean to me it looks like shit, but it looks good to kids with its bright colours and slogans and whatnot.

They need to make a central "theme" for Bryan's merchandise and NOT make it "lol goats goats goats". That kind of shirt is fine when he's in a comedy tag team with Kane, it's not fine when he's a serious top guy. Give him the dragon theme his ring gear has. It's cliché but it would sell.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Punk and JR as UFCs b-team

That will put butts in seats

You see 169's card? UFC is in a kind of dire situation right now. After a great 2013, it just POOF, went away. There's not too much on the horizon.

GLORY is still fun as fuck though.

You see 169's card? UFC is in a kind of dire situation right now. After a great 2013, it just POOF, went away. There's not too much on the horizon.

GLORY is still fun as fuck though.

UFC would kill for a Daniel BRYAN problem right now. No draws on a Super Bowl weekend , this will do survivor Series numbers

Chael/ silva is going to be big

Gustafson is the real deal.wiedman is the legend killer. Rhonda the heel, misha the baby face .

UFC needs to just push them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom