• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2tG2M5J.png

YOU STILL GOT IT!

*CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*

And only 7% watch NXT.

Ithil

Seems offensive to bring him in right to the main roster when they keep someone like Generico in NXT and never brought Chris Hero up. Especially as he's a small guy and it isn't like he's going to get some kind of big angle.

The difference between Devitt and Generico, is Generico just worked for US indies like PWG or ROH. Making a regular if small wage in NXT isn't much of a change for him. Devitt already makes good money in NJPW, with a comfortable spot pretty high on the card.
WWE would never sign him with a developmental contract, he'd be dropping to probably 10% of his money made. To sign him and get him to leave his comfortable spot in Japan, they would have to offer him at least as much if not more than he makes over there, straight up.

Plus if they are paying 350k or something off the bat, then he probably will get some big angles because they have an incentive to make their money back with him instead of him hanging around in NXT being paid loads. Chris Hero was paid peanuts in NXT, it wasn't a financial woe to never bring him up. Devitt simply has more bargaining chips than someone like Hero.

So NXT on HuluPlus is no more soon?

It's staying on Hulu Plus, it was in the Observer this week that their deal with Hulu is intact despite the Network.

strobogo

Banned
The difference between Devitt and Generico, is Generico just worked for US indies like PWG or ROH. Making a regular if small wage in NXT isn't much of a change for him. Devitt already makes good money in NJPW, with a comfortable spot pretty high on the card.
WWE would never sign him with a developmental contract, he'd be dropping to probably 10% of his money made. To sign him and get him to leave his comfortable spot in Japan, they would have to offer him at least as much if not more than he makes over there, straight up.

Plus if they are paying 350k or something off the bat, then he probably will get some big angles because they have an incentive to make their money back with him instead of him hanging around in NXT being paid loads. Chris Hero was paid peanuts in NXT, it wasn't a financial woe to never bring him up. Devitt simply has more bargaining chips than someone like Hero.

It's staying on Hulu Plus, it was in the Observer this week that their deal with Hulu is intact despite the Network.

What does he really offer that Kofi and Ziggler don't already offer to WWE?

KissVibes

Banned
Seems offensive to bring him in right to the main roster when they keep someone like Generico in NXT and never brought Chris Hero up. Especially as he's a small guy and it isn't like he's going to get some kind of big angle.

Chris Hero and Generico were never Gajin King of Japanese Wrestling. Devitt is very much THAT GUY. As a company that wants international talents, Devitt is a fantastic grab.

With that said, I hope he doesn't do it. They'll completely botch everything they'd ever do with him. He'd never the the real rock n' rolla again. That jacket :( :( :(

International appeal and fans that follow Japanese wrestling will want to support him.

Ithil

You'd have to ask HHH. He must see something in Devitt to be willing to offer a big contract to someone who hasn't work in WWE before and isn't known in the US.
At a guess, he's a far better wrestler than either of those two, fresh to the audience, and he's more charismatic.

KissVibes

Banned
You'd have to ask HHH. He must see something in Devitt to be willing to offer a big contract to someone who hasn't work in WWE before and isn't known in the US.
At a guess, he's a far better wrestler than either of those two, fresh to the audience, and he's more charismatic.

I wouldn't say he's a far better wrestler than Ziggler, he's certainly a notch above, though.

Anyone can be better than Kofi. Those two jobbers from TNA that ECIII beat down for weeks are better at wrestling than Kofi.

Ithil

A tidbit I wasn't aware of before, Devitt's theme song wasn't made by NJPW, he commissioned it from an Irish DJ himself. I wonder if that means he owns the rights to it rather than NJPW.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Devitt is a far better wrestler than Ziggler is. Hands down.

A tidbit I wasn't aware of before, Devitt's theme song wasn't made by NJPW, he commissioned it from an Irish DJ himself. I wonder if that means he owns the rights to it rather than NJPW.

Eggs-celent.

mouserat

Neo Member
I think Devitt could get over as a believable sociopathic chickenshit heel at a time when the WWE seem incapable of making a character like that. it's odd though that 'there are no faces and heels', why do they want Devitt then?

I mean, I think he COULD get over, but I don't think that he will because there's no way the dude will get the booking protection required to do it.

G-Fex

I wouldn't say he's a far better wrestler than Ziggler, he's certainly a notch above, though.

Anyone can be better than Kofi. Those two jobbers from TNA that ECIII beat down for weeks are better at wrestling than Kofi.

You've gone too far Shark.

You've gone too fucking far.

They are paying something stupid like 500K a year for Tensai/Albert. Money won't make a difference in how they book someone.

And what? Devitt is 10x the wrestler Ziggler is.

I'm thinking they wanted to get with Devitt whatever it is that they were not able to get with Tensai/Albert.

There's got to be a reason they were always bringing up Tensai's Japan stint before.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They are paying something stupid like 500K a year for Tensai/Albert. Money won't make a difference in how they book someone.

Yep. I really doubt Devitt will sign with WWE considering how he's treated in NJPW but at the same time, this is probably the only chance he'll be able to get a WWE contract with serious leverage. I think he should go for it, but he's obviously got different needs than I do :p

yolo and all that shit.

Ithil

And what? Devitt is 10x the wrestler Ziggler is.

Sure, but remember they started out intending for Tensai to get a big push. Remember he beat Cena on TV and was supposed to be Johnny Ace's muscle?
But Tensai didn't get over since they mishandled both the gimmick and that he used to be Albert and they wouldn't acknowledge it to the crowd.

He got dropped from that and Big Show got inserted in. But I think Devitt would do better with a push than Tensai anyway.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't diss the Wildcat!

image.php

to be fair I've never seen a Devitt match

Watch the match I posted above, him and Ibushi are phenomenal against each other.

I understand if you don't want to because it's NJPW but I promise it's a great watch. Also really fun is Devitt vs Ibushi vs Low Ki from last year...and Low Ki was dressed as Agent 47 and wrestled in a suit. GREAT match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdlEnQw9lyQ

strobogo

Banned
Who's excited to find out who the mystery investor is for TNA?

I'm actually really curious!

I can't believe nothing has leaked about that. The only things that make sense to me are that no one cares enough to leak or ask about it, or TNA doesn't even have someone in mind yet.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Watch the match I posted above, him and Ibushi are phenomenal against each other.

I understand if you don't want to because it's NJPW but I promise it's a great watch. Also really fun is Devitt vs Ibushi vs Low Ki from last year...and Low Ki was dressed as Agent 47 and wrestled in a suit. GREAT match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdlEnQw9lyQ
Will do, and speaking of NJPW I wish WWE would sign Ibushi.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Will do, and speaking of NJPW I wish WWE would sign Ibushi.

Ibushi is delightful to watch - he's one of the best high fliers I've ever seen. Everything he does is as smooth as butter.

Ithil

I can't believe nothing has leaked about that. The only things that make sense to me are that no one cares enough to leak or ask about it, or TNA doesn't even have someone in mind yet.

It's
probably going to be MVP. He is due to debut next week.

Ibushi is delightful to watch - he's one of the best high fliers I've ever seen. Everything he does is as smooth as butter.

I would think PAC/Adrian Neville and Ibushi are the premiere non-lucha high flyers in the world, at this rate.

Limit

What little I heard of Devitt on mic I came away unimpressed. Actually, he was bit mediocre. I'm not sure how he would make a name for himself in WWE without mic skills.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Who? NJPW or WWE? Since NJPW did sign Ibushi, he now holds a double contract with DDT and NJPW.
I edited my post to be more clear, meant WWE.
Agreed and of course I'm assuming in a perfect world he'd be used properly if he were to be signed by WWE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What little I heard of Devitt on mic I came away unimpressed. Actually, he was bit mediocre. I'm not sure how he would make a name for himself in WWE without mic skills.

Did you see mic work in Japan or in the indies in Amurrica? He puts on for the Japanese - he's capable of much more.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Via PWTorch:

"According to Wade Keller of the Torch, an Emergency meeting is being called with creative. Thursday and Friday will decide the future of WWE storylines going forward. It is said that "nothing is sacred" and "Everything will be evaluated". Between sunday night and Punk's departure, it has been cause for pause at Stamford. One thing is for sure, this is getting interesting".

Via PWTorch:

"According to Wade Keller of the Torch, an Emergency meeting is being called with creative. Thursday and Friday will decide the future of WWE storylines going forward. It is said that "nothing is sacred" and "Everything will be evaluated". Between sunday night and Punk's departure, it has been cause for pause at Stamford. One thing is for sure, this is getting interesting".

"Nothing is sacred"?

Sting will come to the WWE as Joker Sting confirmed! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!1

DM we did it :D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When WWE is in a crazy time I remain optimistic we'll at least get something interesting and different out of it. Bring it on. I'm all for anything that challenges the status quo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Via PWTorch:

Batista wins against Orton at Mania, then also unifies the Tag titles, US, and Intercontinental titles after he regrows his mystical SOUL PATCH.

Hasney

Christ, I hope panic mode WWE is enteratining. I'm also hoping that Heyman and Zeb are at least on the phone if not in the room.

Batigol

Banned
Anyone remember what that WCW documentary they advertised for the wwe network on raw?

Cm Punk was talking about Goldberg :/

Recall

Lots of people in WWE have done alright for themselves without these "legendary" mic skills.

Rapstah

Maybe coming up and synchronising all the storylines at the same time will be good for them, but they still have obligations to certain people being in certain spots on the card and Vince as well as the usual people still have to accept it so I don't think they're changing too much of it.

Maybe they'll make it clearer what they're doing after Wrestlemania, though, that's probably good for their storylines now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom