• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitters

"I was in OVW with John Cena, and we were wrestling each other. I had a bad cold, so I blew my nose in my shirt during the match. I grabbed him and put him in a headlock so that his face rubbed all up against the snot. The thing with John is, he doesn’t react to anything. You could put your Johnson on his shoulder, and he’ll just look at it and do nothing. I’ve actually done that, too.”

- Randy Orton

jmdajr

“I recently saw Brooke Hogan’s new music video and I’ve got to say she looked hot.”

“Did I really mean what I said about Eddie Guerrero? Not really, I mean…maybe he’s in hell, maybe he’s not, I don’t know……and I don’t care.”

"I would RKO my own grandmother to keep this title. Then I’d RKO your grandmother, just to see the look on her face."

"Dont ever interrupt me again. And next time you do, show me the proper respect."

-Randy Orton

Xater

Observer news!

-- Variety is reporting that WWE will be doing a sequel to Jingle All the Way AND a Marine 4 here. Actually, the Marine franchise has done better than I'd have ever imagined. Miz will be back as the Marine alongside Summer Rae, and Jingle All the Way 2 will feature LARRY THE CABLE GUY AND SANTINO.

According to Pwinsider.com, Matt Jackson of the Young Bucks suffered a broken hand and two broken fingers during his final match on today's New Japan tour. X-Rays confirmed the injury and Jackson will likely require surgery to repair the injury. He is currently traveling home, and did not have surgery in Japan, as he would have had to stay there until he was cleared to fly home.

=/

I feel like Hulk Hogan was off fighting some random big guy for the majority of his career.

Because that's what drew money. Just like, by all metrics, including PPV buyrates, house show attendance, merch sales, and TV ratings, John Cena is what draws money.

And drawing money, not five star matches, is what wrestling is all about. Rock/Cena instead of Punk/Rock main evented Wrestlemania because it made the WWE millions and millions more dollars to do that much.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe Bryan should get a main event title run, where he's treated like a top guy and put over people, to see if he actually is a draw. Because, right now, there is no evidence whether he's a draw or not. Contrary to people acting like he's already the second coming of Steve Austin. Right now, based on the numbers, he's not even the second coming of Eddie Guerrero.

evil ways

"The main event of Wrestlemania should've been Ricky Steamboat vs. The Dynamite Kid and Hulk Hogan should've been off fighting some random big guy."

Funny, most folks say Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat was the actual main event of WM3 since the Andre vs Hogan match was such a stinker.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This place is so weird without Stro around. I can't wait to meet him this weekend! Gonna get him a fine steak dinner!

Mahonay

Banned
Jingle All the Way 2 will feature LARRY THE CABLE GUY AND SANTINO.

igSXa3WTXJ4U6.gif

Funny, most folks say Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat was the actual main event of WM3 since the Andre vs Hogan match was such a stinker.

Smart fans on the Internet do, but 70,000 people came to see Hogan slam Andre. Everything else on the card was gravy. Shockingly, most people don't care whether a match is "good" or not if they're into the story. Thus, Rock/Cena winning MOTY at the Slammy's this year.

There's a reason why Hulk Hogan can be gone for years and still get a mega pop from the crowd and got a title run totally based off nostalgia and Ricky Steamboat, God love him, came back to do a midcard feud with Chris Jericho.

jmdajr

Last chapter on this was sure something...

51nWdhCkSNL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Eddie and Benoit pretty much died trying to achieve (and somewhat achieved) a status that was never meant to be.

Maybe D. Bry can finally have one with a happy ending but who knows.

Punk already threw in the towel.

Rapstah

You people joking about Hogan and the WM3 main event somehow means you don't understand how the average wrestling fan thinks, so let me post a bunch of economics and facts that I'll pretend everyone in here doesn't already know.

jred2k

"I was in OVW with John Cena, and we were wrestling each other. I had a bad cold, so I blew my nose in my shirt during the match. I grabbed him and put him in a headlock so that his face rubbed all up against the snot. The thing with John is, he doesn’t react to anything. You could put your Johnson on his shoulder, and he’ll just look at it and do nothing. I’ve actually done that, too.”

- Randy Orton

Just don't fucking put candles in his kitchen. That's when shit gets serious.

charsace

Hopefully Ambrose and Rollins can break through without being The Shield. Everyone had Ted DiBiase pegged for stardom when Legacy broke up and assumed Cody Rhodes would fall by the wayside and we all know how that turned out.

The Shield can end with all 3 guys looking good, but it won't end like that. It will end in a way that makes Reigns look dominant because they think Reigns is the next face of the company and also kill any chance of them reforming the shield because Triple H probably doesn't want any other faction in the WWE to have long term appeal like DX.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

- Randy Orton
Master of the no-sell John Cena.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Still pains me to see that he is hurt.

The Young Bucks ‏@MattJackson13 4m

Broke my hand in 2 different places last night. Worst part was, after we won the match, I couldn't even throw up an nWo sign.

Serves him right. That's a karmic nWo mark-out prevented. Thanks karma.

Penguin

As noted, WWE will release "Signature Sounds: The Music of WWE" on DVD March 18th. WrestlingDVDNews.com reports that up to 25 tracks will be profiled and new interviews with composer Jim Johnston will be included. One of the DVD extras appears to be the Shawn Michaels "Tell Me a Lie" tribute video.

Should be interesting

You people joking about Hogan and the WM3 main event somehow means you don't understand how the average wrestling fan thinks, so let me post a bunch of economics and facts that I'll pretend everyone in here doesn't already know.

Enough people in this thread seriously think Cena shouldn't be in the main event anymore and Cena/Rock shouldn't have been the main event of WM XXIX for me to believe that no, they don't understand the economic of wrestling and just want to see their favorites having five star classics.

UberTag

Enough people in this thread seriously think Cena shouldn't be in the main event anymore and Cena/Rock shouldn't have been the main event of WM XXIX for me to believe that no, they don't understand the economic of wrestling and just want to see their favorites having five star classics.
So you agree that the economics of wrestling would benefit from having John Cena main event every pay-per-view for the next 10 years wrestling the exact same match with the exact same opponents and winning all the time? Because that's what drives business, correct?

And when Roman Reigns is booked the same way and the product is even more stale, that will also be the correct way of doing things and the rest of us don't UNDERSTAND economics for expressing apathy? Have I got everything correct?

Actually, I agree with you about Dwayne. Even if he wasn't in ring shape it makes sense to have someone like him headlining your biggest show of the year and the buys & ratings he generated reflect that. If I was Vince and wanted to make money, I'd book Cena vs. Taker this year.

Alucard

Banned
So you agree that the economics of wrestling would benefit from having John Cena main event every pay-per-view for the next 10 years wrestling the exact same match with the exact same opponents and winning all the time? Because that's what drives business, correct?

And when Roman Reigns is booked the same way and the product is even more stale, that will also be the correct way of doing things and the rest of us don't UNDERSTAND economics for expressing apathy? Have I got everything correct?

Actually, I agree with you about Dwayne. Even if he wasn't in ring shape it makes sense to have someone like him headlining your biggest show of the year and the buys & ratings he generated reflect that.

If it makes more money than the alternative, yes.

Mahonay

Banned
So uh...is Langston's push just gone?
Seems like they just don't have a spot for him in the main story lines right now.

I'm fine with that. Don't try to force it. Whenever they do that, someone ends up getting buried.

Hopefully Big E's time is not far away.
Why did Del Rio have his 2010 music again randomly on Raw?
Because it's way better. I hope they go back to it. At least until Del Rio leaves...

I heard "The Game" intro song played for HHH totally randomly a few months back. So it could be a one off thing.

gurudyne

DUDE, that is awesome! Did you make it? Don't know who the band pictured is though. I wish Archie was in the WWE, it's such a good kid-friendly gimmick. Hell, he could have Tulane University play him to the ring at 'Mania.

Not sure who it is. Just Google searched some images of marching bands and GIMP2'd them into a poster. Glad you liked it!

Why did Del Rio have his 2010 music again randomly on Raw?

Indeed.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

I wasn't saying that Hogan wasn't a money maker or the obvious choice to main event, I was making fun of the fact that every time Hogan brings it up, Andre weights a billion pounds and there were 100 billion people in the arena.

Rapstah

Also, of fucking course people want to see "their favourites" having good matches on TV and on PPV. That's the point! I wouldn't watch wrestling if I didn't have favourites who could have good matches. I don't watch hours of wrestling every week because I'm turned on by how much money the main event draws.
I wasn't saying that Hogan wasn't a money maker or the obvious choice to main event, I was making fun of the fact that every time Hogan brings it up, Andre weights a billion pounds and there were 100 billion people in the arena.
I got your joke and wasn't mocking you, I assure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom