• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rikidozan's federation was JWA - Japan Pro-Wrestling Alliance.

Inoki, a student of Rikidozan, started his own promotion when the JWA folded, which he called New Japan Pro-Wrestling, dropping alliance from the title.

So it WAS new, in 1972 :p

Just call it Shin Nihon Pro-Wrestling, if it makes you feel any better.

Hasney

Fancy playing a wrasslin' game tonight. Might see if those load times on KOC2 are reduced when playing it off a PS3 hard drive.

Miz's figure four on NXT was so terrible. Every one of his reversals was executed confusingly awkward. He's the worst wrestler on the entire episode.

Ithil

And that episode includes CJ Parker and Bo Dallas, who suck in the ring, and Sasha Banks who has been wrestling about two years.

Those look like amateur wrestling shoes. I don't understand it.

He's "legit" now you know. With the badass MMA experience and a winning record from winning that fight where he barely defeated some fat guy that looked like he was pulled off the street.

Miz's figure four on NXT was so terrible. Every one of his reversals was executed confusingly awkward. He's the worst wrestler on the entire episode.

It's amazing that a dude who has been in the business for a decade now can't properly do a submission that I'm sure most of us were able to pull off perfectly when we were in elementary school.

Aiii

So not worth it
Evidently this is because Punk doesn't groom himself properly. At least that's what Meltzer and Alvarez have told me.

So weird how people aren't hearing what Bryan says. Alvarez talks about how Punk looked like crap for months now. And he's right, he had a shitty beard, his hair seemed to be messy and shitty on purpose too. Punk gave up in the company and it showed, his promo's were passive and lacking passion and you could see he stopped caring about what he was doing. And Alvarez is right that WWE would not make a guy that looks like that as the face of the company.

Ithil

Alvarez also gives the note that it isn't inherent with Punk, it is about how he takes care of himself. He gives the example of Corey Graves, who works the same tattooed punk look, only Graves is actually well groomed and takes effort to make himself look good, while keeping the punk look still.

Punk is a good looking guy, and if he took care of himself better he would be very marketable, especially to women. It's not about his tattoos or punk look, you can have that and still look your best.

UberTag

So weird how people aren't hearing what Bryan says. Alvarez talks about how Punk looked like crap for months now. And he's right, he had a shitty beard, his hair seemed to be messy and shitty on purpose too. Punk gave up in the company and it showed, his promo's were passive and lacking passion and you could see he stopped caring about what he was doing. And Alvarez is right that WWE would not make a guy that looks like that as the face of the company.
The whole "face of the company" thing is the issue I have a problem with. Since when has CM Punk gone on record saying he wants to be the face of the company? Seems to me he just wanted to close out WrestleMania and then take a vacation. Giving him that spot doesn't mean you still can't parade Cena & The Miz out and about on Fallon and other media PR events.

Ithil

The whole "face of the company" thing is the issue I have a problem with. Since when has CM Punk gone on record saying he wants to be the face of the company? Seems to me he just wanted to close out WrestleMania and then take a vacation. Giving him that spot doesn't mean you still can't parade Cena & The Miz out and about on Fallon and other media PR events.

Punk definitely wanted that. He's said many times he wants to be THE guy in WWE, the top guy that's in Cena's spot. At some point in 2013 he gave up, though.
He even said, he used to argue with Creative all the time, but now he doesn't bother, he shows up for work, they tell him what he's doing that night, he goes out and does it, and he goes home. Punchclock stuff.

Closing out Wrestlemania is being the 'face' of the company, during it's biggest week every year.

Aiii

So not worth it

CM Punk wants to be recognized as the #1 guy in the company, that means he wants to be the face of the company. He's the best in the world and he's better than John Cena and everyone inside and outside of WWE should know this. He wants to be the poster boy, the main guy on the promo's and all the other merch, the guy that closes the show and is on the side of the WWE trucks and front and center on the PPV graphics.

Ithil

CM Punk wants to be recognized as the #1 guy in the company, that means he wants to be the face of the company. He's the best in the world and he's better than John Cena and everyone inside and outside of WWE should know this. He wants to be the poster boy, the main guy on the promo's and all the other merch, the guy that closes the show and is on the side of the WWE trucks and front and center on the PPV graphics.

Well, if that is what he wants, he might want to wash his hair at some point. It isn't a big hassle.

Toki767

I really hate the way Mike Tenay acts when reveals happen. Tonight when MVP came out, he didn't act surprised at all. He just yelled into the mic like he knew it all along.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, if you're not putting Bryan in the championship match at Mania... How about they make Triple H vs. Bryan a ladder match instead, price above the ring is a briefcase. If Triple H gets it then Bryan is fired or will never get a WWE Title Shot ever again. If Bryan gets it, it's a Money in the Bank briefcase.

Bryan gets the briefcase, Batista wins the title, Bryan comes out and teases a cash-in but doesn't, and challenges Batista to a title match (either at ER or that Monday's Raw) to win the title there.

Triple H gets his due, show closes out with YES-chants and everyone goes home happy.

UberTag

To be fair one could argue that Punk did take plenty care of his appearance up until the point where he threw in the towel.
He reached the conclusion that it wasn't making a lick of difference in terms of eclipsing Cena and that assessment was probably correct.

Jamie OD

For the history:

Miz was main event at WM and CM Punk never was.... very very very sad

Also for the history, the main event of Miz Vs Cena originally ended in a countout. No screwjobs, no shady circumstances, no interference stopping man getting into the ring, Cena just tackled Miz over a barricade and both got knocked out long enough to miss the 10 count.

Hasney

To be fair one could argue that Punk did take plenty care of his appearance up until the point where he threw in the towel.
He reached the conclusion that it wasn't making a lick of difference in terms of eclipsing Cena and that assessment was probably correct.

Yeah, he had the slicked face hair and the shaved heel hair while he was champion. More recently, his style is just however it stuck after fucking AJ.

Marvel

could never
Not a fan of Punk myself... I prefer him when he is heel, but in the ring I still find him not that exciting and as of late sloppy, his current look is just awful and as a face it just doesn't click for me, specially when he does face promo's that last too long and seem to have no energy in them unlike they do when he's Heel.

His elbow drop from the top rope is also disgusting. Can't say I'm sad about him quitting.

BITW gimmick has always irritated me anyway.

Hasney

Not a fan of Punk myself... I prefer him when he is heel, but in the ring I still find him not that exciting and as of late sloppy, his current look is just awful and as a face it just doesn't click for me, specially when he does face promo's that last too long and seem to have no energy in them unlike they do when he's Heel.

His elbow drop from the top rope is also disgusting. Can't say I'm sad about him quitting.

BITW gimmick has always irritated me anyway.

The best face work he ever did was when he was feuding with John Laurinaitis I thought. He was energised and thinking about the possibility of becoming #1 in the company. But yeah, other than his match with Rollins on Raw, his matches haven't been great since Summerslam.

Not that they really gave him much to work with... As much as I love the Shield, 3 v 1 handicaps aren't very exciting.

Malvingt2

The best face work he ever did was when he was feuding with John Laurinaitis I thought. He was energised and thinking about the possibility of becoming #1 in the company. But yeah, other than his match with Rollins on Raw, his matches haven't been great since Summerslam.

Not that they really gave him much to work with... As much as I love the Shield, 3 v 1 handicaps aren't very exciting.

that match was garbage.

Marvel

could never

Agree with you on the second point. The first not so much, I hated that Big Johnny angle personally. Best face work for me was the anti HHH/Steph stuff but that ended up with him getting buried by trips for no reason, killing his momentum almost. I think his wwe title loss to Dwayne got to him in a big way really... he works really hard but time after time wwe just seem to kill any momentum he gets and throw him back into midcard shit or random tag team shit and he's left to flounder.

The coasting that's been going on with him these past months has been painful to watch. A rest will do him some good, maybe a year or two from now he'll come back to the wwe but his attitude judging by his tweets suggest that he's not only kinda uninterested/fed up in the business but sick and tired of traveling. The latter which I totally get.

A lighter schedule and a bigger pay check down the line might get him back on side but who knows?

Lol, Japan, why?

itkfUQ9.jpg

Female Nakamura is cute.

Malvingt2

So's your face.

But seriously, in this era of 3 hour Raws featuring matches thrown together with no real purpose, it was an entertaining match. Not saying it's MOTY or anything.

not my words. CM Punk was the one who said it was garbage :) but I get what you are saying.

Punk probably thought it was garbage because he was sloppy as hell during that match, but to dismiss the whole match is unfair to Rollins, who put in a great performance.

Hell, I enjoyed it, so what the fuck does CM Punk know? :p

Hasney

Lol, Japan, why?

itkfUQ9.jpg

Female Nakamura is cute.

heymangenesiskisq8.gif

not my words. CM Punk was the one who said it was garbage :) but I get what you are saying.

Punk probably thought it was garbage because he was sloppy as hell during that match, but to dismiss the whole match is unfair to Rollins, who put in a great performance.

Hell, I enjoyed it, so what the fuck does CM Punk know? :p

Punk is so fucking burnt out he doesn't even know when he has an enjoyable match anymore. Unbelievable.

Ithil

The 2/27 NXT special called "NXT Arrival" from Full Sail University in Winter Park, FL has:

Bo Dallas vs. Adrian Neville in a ladder match for the NXT title

Antonio Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn 2/3 falls

Paige vs. Emma NXT women's title

Also on the show: John Cena, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Paul Heyman, Sheamus and New Age Outlaws

The latest info on the NXT Live Show, spoilers for all episodes airing before that. It's being looked at as a PPV type show for NXT.

bjork

So... are they gonna promise Punk the world in order to get him back for WM? If he's done, I would imagine he pulls a JR and doesn't do much related to wrestling for awhile, outside of comment on it online.

Kaladin

So... are they gonna promise Punk the world in order to get him back for WM? If he's done, I would imagine he pulls a JR and doesn't do much related to wrestling for awhile, outside of comment on it online.

As long as we finally get ice cream bars, dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom