• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could have been a white Kofi.
And now that ship has sailed
adrienNeville5.jpg

Zack blew his chances. Great videos but never translated to the ring. Bourne cares more about weed than being a top guy.

Bourne never would've been a top guy, weed or not (and it was synthetic weed he got busted for, at that). Cena's whole association with him and praising him in interviews was such an apparent ploy to ingratiate himself to the smark fans, who felt at the time that Bourne deserved better. Ryder, on the other hand, got over on his own terms, so he was always destined to fail - Cena just tried his best to leech off Zack's new-found popularity. Those are the two guys I can remember Cena ever "going to bat" for and in both occasions it was just a cynical, token gesture for Cena to try and come across as a Good Guy, rather than the guy who's perfectly happy with the way things are (and, really, who could blame him?).

Sephzilla

Real talk.

I never ever remembered Ryder being really over. The best crowd response I ever heard from him was a lukewarm slightly better than Kofi pop.

jmdajr

Bourne never would've been a top guy, weed or not (and it was synthetic weed he got busted for, at that). Cena's whole association with him and praising him in interviews was such an apparent ploy to ingratiate himself to the smark fans, who felt at the time that Bourne deserved better. Ryder, on the other hand, got over on his own terms, so he was always destined to fail - Cena just tried his best to leech off Zack's new-found popularity. Those are the two guys I can remember Cena ever "going to bat" for and in both occasions it was just a cynical, token gesture for Cena to try and come across as a Good Guy, rather than the guy who's perfectly happy with the way things are (and, really, who could blame him?).

Lol, like he needed it.

Cena is definitely one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Lol, like he needed it.

Cena is definitely one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

He didn't NEED it, that's not the point - Zack got himself over and they certainly weren't going to use that momentum for Zack, so they do what they always do; give it to Cena.

Honestly, I'm at that point in the 'Cena Cycle' where I'm just sick to death of talking about him like his ISN'T the number one thing I despise about WWE. I'll tell you the one situation where Cena won't be damned if he does; the one where he quits and goes home and doesn't return. I'll be full of praise for him on that day.

I don't really play that many games anymore. In my horizon there's DKC Tropical Freeze and Dark Souls 2 and that will probably be it for the year. I've gotten to a point where unless a game immediately impresses me within the first hour I just stop playing it.

jmdajr

He didn't NEED it, that's not the point - Zack got himself over and they certainly weren't going to use that momentum for Zack, so they do what they always do; give it to Cena.

Honestly, I'm at that point in the 'Cena Cycle' where I'm just sick to death of talking about him like his ISN'T the number one thing I despise about WWE. I'll tell you the one situation where Cena won't be damned if he does; the one where he quits and goes home and doesn't return. I'll be full of praise for him on that day.

For whatever reason I still feel that Cena does care about putting guys over. But true, he does stuffer disingenuous that Hogan does. Stories days in and out past wrestlers always felt that Hogan never had anyone's back, even if by chance he truly did want to put them over.

kirblar

He was over with a subsection of the audience and it didn't translate mainstream. I always found him really corny/lame, but appreciated the effort and that he worked for other people.
For whatever reason I still feel that Cena does care about putting guys over. But true, he does stuffer than disingenuous that Hogan does. Stories days in and out wrestlers always felt that Hogan never had anyone's back, even if by chance he truly did want to put them over.
He appears to be oblivious, rather than malicious. Not sure if that's actively better.

jmdajr

I don't really play that many games anymore. In my horizon there's DKC Tropical Freeze and Dark Souls 2 and that will probably be it for the year. I've gotten to a point where unless a game immediately impresses me within the first hour I just stop playing it.

Only so much time to spare. Thanks to demos I didn't waste time on.....certain games. ;)

Yeah. Zack was hot for like 2 months. The crowd was getting behind him, so much so that the Rock mentioned him in the post Survivor Series promo. I'm not sure if left alone, he would've ever become anything more than a mid carder. But that Cena storyline killed him. It was ridiculous. And Eve came off looking like a slore. It also did Kane and Cena no favors. Kane didn't recover until he joined Team Hell Yes.

It was clearly a terribly booked storyline. No different than the Nexus. Or the the Punk Nexus storyline. The Kofi push. Pushing the button on ADR after the Rumble.

jmdajr

I used to look at the merch in the WWF magazine as a kid. I really wanted a Ultimate Warrior shirt.

My friend he goes..

"You know that shirt will only look good on Warrior right?."

:(

MG310

After that whole "You all know A-Ry likes to party" thing on Raw immediately after his DUI I find it difficult to feel bad for him.

Sephzilla

Yeah. Zack was hot for like 2 months. The crowd was getting behind him, so much so that the Rock mentioned him in the post Survivor Series promo. I'm not sure if left alone, he would've ever become anything more than a mid carder. But that Cena storyline killed him. It was ridiculous. And Eve came off looking like a slore. It also did Kane and Cena no favors. Kane didn't recover until he joined Team Hell Yes.

It was clearly a terribly booked storyline. No different than the Nexus. Or the the Punk Nexus storyline. The Kofi push. Pushing the button on ADR after the Rumble.

Ugh, yeah. I still stand by my claim that I never really remember Ryder being over but that Cena/Ryder/Eve/Kane storyline pretty much destroyed Ryder, made Eve look bad, and ruined Kane's return-to-evil gimmick.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just find it remarkable that for all the stroke and leverage Cena must have backstage, no one ever much seems to benefit from being associated with him. Remember those couple of months where Cena was full of praise for Evan Bourne and started teaming with him a bunch? The only thing Evan should be thankful for is that, in his case, he didn't fare as badly as Zack Ryder.

Why would Cena try to get himself over to smarks? What value is there?

jmdajr

Why would Cena try to get himself over to smarks? What value is there?

None. They don't buy anything.

Well not totally true. They are actually buying tickets and showing up to arenas to say YES and bury matches. But they much rather have a witty sign than buy any kind of merch.

jmdajr

I have to imagine that the "Cena Sucks!" chants actually do bother him.

Then he drives off in his muscle car to eat the Bella twins ass in his mansion or 5 star hotel. I think he manages ok.

That's some stuff man. People paying money to boo you. Good business.

Pavaloo

Zack is probably one of those guys in the back waiting for an executive to "call him up" for his "shot"

at least we know he's the type of guy to wear passive-aggressive "PUSH ME" ring attire

edit: I bet it doesn't bother Cena. All the cynicism from smarks and adults goes away when he does Make-A-Wish... aaand when he goes home to Nikki Bella OR SOME FAT LADY

Sephzilla

Then he droves off in his muscle car to eat the Bella twins ass in his mansion or 5 star hotel. I think he manages ok.

Well, yeah. But he's still human and his job is an entertainer, I don't know a single entertainer alive that wouldn't get bothered by something like that at some level.

jmdajr

Well, yeah. But he's still human and his job is an entertainer, I don't know a single entertainer alive that wouldn't get bothered by something like that at some level.

But they are not boycotting him, which would hurt more.

He's profiting of the so called hate to some extent.

edit: Cena truly can't lose, lol.

kirblar

Zack is probably one of those guys in the back waiting for an executive to "call him up" for his "shot"

at least we know he's the type of guy to wear passive-aggressive "PUSH ME" ring attire

edit: I bet it doesn't bother Cena. All the cynicism from smarks and adults goes away when he does Make-A-Wish... aaand when he goes home to Nikki Bella OR SOME FAT LADY
Speaking of which, #HEELZIGGLER is such a bad look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom