• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What makes me laugh is that Ninja Theory was specifically brought in to update and improve Devil May Cry's story and make it something that could be taken seriously. Their end result was something that was as weak, if not weaker, than the previous games that were self aware of how stupid they were.

Edit: Ugh, DmC is something that triggers my inner gamer nerd-rage. Someone should cut me off before I keep going down this road.

Just admit you're not the best person to talk about DmC's virtues and we can move on :p

Maybe

Please

God please

no Robocop no

this isn't a violation

I have rights! I have a right to talk you son of a!

oQPUWmq.jpg

jmdajr

What makes me laugh is that Ninja Theory was specifically brought in to update and improve Devil May Cry's story and make it something that could be taken seriously. Their end result was something that was as weak, if not weaker, than the previous games that were self aware of how stupid they were.

Edit: Ugh, DmC is something that triggers my inner gamer nerd-rage. Someone should cut me off before I keep going down this road.

I think people overestimate so called self aware. Maybe the Japanese can't tell a story either. Is Bayonetta self aware, or just bad?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did something happen to NBA GAF?

Yes. Long story short, thread locked, Blackace demodded, there's an All-Star game thread that I think people are using as a substitution? I'm not sure, because basketball SUCKS.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think people overestimate so called self aware. Maybe the Japanese can't tell a story either. Is Bayonetta self aware, or just bad?

Just being self-aware shouldn't make a story exempt though, even there. I'd say Bayonetta is self-aware to a point, but that ain't savin its story. But that's not why we play it - we play it because of how outrageous she is.

McNei1y

Now that they have the potential for a 'stacked/fresh' roster, do you think they'll eventually create some storylines? Or actually make #1 contender matches? Or something of value? Who gives a shit about random fights because 'hey we need to put them on the card!'.

Remember when they're were matches like Rikishi vs Val Venis in a cage match for PPV's because for the past few weeks they've been hating on each other... or The Rock burying/bullying Hurricane for a few weeks until Hurricane pulled off a surprise win?

jmdajr

Just being self-aware shouldn't make a story exempt though, even there. I'd say Bayonetta is self-aware to a point, but that ain't savin its story. But that's not why we play it - we play it because of how outrageous she is.

No doubt it's fun to play. But I agree people pull out the Japan does everything better card.
I used to be like that. It's foolish.

I love Japanese games but it's come to the point where I skip pretty much skip all the cutscenes besides the occasional RPG or MGS. Bayonetta's so great the cutscenes kill all the flow.

I should start skipping them for MGS.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just imagine how it feels browsing gaming side as a Nintendo fan...

It hurts... ;_;

Shouldn't matter what other people think if you're having fun. It's like having sex with a big girl. You don't want others to see but you're having the time of your life.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
No doubt it's fun to play. But I agree people pull out the Japan does everything better card.
I used to be like that. It's foolish.

I think Japan does action better because it's more focused on sword play rather than guns.

US has better cinematic value as we have more money.

The EU/UK tends to tell better stories... But in all honesty, in games that's not saying much.

Sephzilla

For me, if a story is clearly not trying to take itself that seriously I'm not going to critique it on the same level I'd critique a story that's actually trying to be taken seriously. That's why I'm more forgiving of stuff like the Michael Keaton Batman movies because they're more wink & nod aware that they're silly movies about people who dress silly, where as the Nolan Batman movies are trying to be more "legit" crime stories. Which is why I can be okay with Nicholson Joker shooting down the Batplane with a pistol, but Ledger Joker's magical plan for getting captured and out of jail bugs the shit out of me.

I dunno, does that make sense? Or do I need to go fry my brain again.

jmdajr

I love Japanese games but it's come to the point where I skip pretty much skip all the cutscenes besides the occasional RPG or MGS. Bayonetta's so great the cutscenes kill all the flow.

I should start skipping them for MGS.

At least Kojima is honest.

I want hot girls in my games to inspire cosplay.

Well heck, thanks ! For real.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For me, if a story is clearly not trying to take itself that seriously I'm not going to critique it on the same level I'd critique a story that's actually trying to be taken seriously. That's why I'm more forgiving of stuff like the Michael Keaton Batman movies because they're more wink & nod aware that they're silly movies about people who dress silly, where as the Nolan Batman movies are trying to be more "legit" crime stories.

I dunno, does that make sense? Or do I need to go fry my brain again.

Just Cause 2 is a good example of this. Dogshit story but it was so bad it was good. And it knew it.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
I do my best not to pick sides when it comes to games... But I always tend to lean towards Nintendo.

I blame my older cousins having a NES, and that being the first game system I played.

Xater

Man as much as I don't like Cena in the ring, listening to him on the Steve Austin Show made me realize again that he is actually a pretty nice guy. And god damn even he thinks 3 hour RAW is too much.

Shouldn't matter what other people think if you're having fun. It's like having sex with a big girl. You don't want others to see but you're having the time of your life.

I don't care what people think. I just wish every thread wasn't a doom and gloom thread or turn into one.

Steel Diver SubWars is AMAZING for the record.

Hasney

best not taking itself seriously was Off World Interceptor Extreme on PS1. They filmed all these FMV segments, then realised how bad they were so just super-imposed the silhouettes of 2 guys on a couch talking shit about how bad it was.

jmdajr

There was an anime that came out called Agent Aika. It was supposed to be a parody of all the fan service in anime so there was like a panty shot every minute of the whole thing.
It's supposed to be a self aware parody, but most likely everyone who watched it was watching it because it was well... dirty. Self aware is no doubt a get out of jail free card.

This is not to say I like stuff that is meant to be that, but no doubt it's easier to get away with shit than if you wanted to play it serious and get mocked despite some decent efforts.

Batigol

Banned
Man as much as I don't like Cena in the ring, listening to him on the Steve Austin Show made me realize again that he is actually a pretty nice guy. And god damn even he thinks 3 hour RAW is too much.

Genuinely nice guy, but I don't like him. Respect a guy that does that much for sick kids though

Only good MGS was 2, brahs

jmdajr

For a series with such crap play mechanics, MGS is one of my favorite of all time. The shit Kojima comes up with is just insane. Truly, nothing else like it.

For a series with such crap play mechanics, MGS is one of my favorite of all time. The shit Kojima comes up with is just insane. Truly, nothing else like it.
Raiden reveal in MGS2 was some Bash at the Beach shit. I was still holding out hope Snake would come back until the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom