• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What is the roster right now?

Angle (Injured)
Joe
Anderson
Bully
Spud (not full time wrestler)
Roode
Storm
Gunner
MVP
American Wolves
Bromans
EY
Sabin
Abyss/Joe Park
Jeff Hardy/Willow
EC3
Magnus

is that everyone?

strobogo

Banned
What's considered the 'worst' WM anyway?

For me it has to be 4 or 11. The last few have been pretty lackluster outside of Taker and maybe one other match, but 4 is full of super short and disappointing matches that are absolutely draining to sit through. 11 has the Harris Brothers, Lex Luger, and King Kong Bundy. Then again, 9 was pretty shitty too.

jred2k

What is the roster right now?

Angle (Injured)
Joe
Anderson
Bully
Spud (not full time wrestler)
Roode
Storm
Gunner
MVP
American Wolves
Bromans
EY
Sabin
Abyss/Joe Park
Jeff Hardy/Willow
EC3
Magnus

is that everyone?

A-Double and Bad Influence. The fact they even put those guys in a position to be forgotten is criminal.

strobogo

Banned

I can't hate on 7. Rockers vs Faces of Fear, Boss Man vs Perfect, Hogan vs Sarge, and especially Savage vs Warrior (one of the most truly epic WWE matches of all time, Pat Patterson is a wrestling genius) are good shit. I like 7 a lot.

As a concept, I don't think WM really became what it was meant to be until 6.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
CRtit4n.gif

Alucard

Banned
As long as the podcast reviewers I listen to still sound like they're ready to jump off a bridge as they review Impact there's no chance I'm exposing myself to that.

Which podcasts are these? Do they like anything at all on Impact? 'Cause if they can't find anything they're probably jaded and need to step away from the product for a bit. You lose objectivity if you just keep swimming in negativity for a long time, and I feel a lot of TNA critics have fallen prey to this. People start with a negative image and try to fit their 'evidence' into their negative opinion instead of watching objectively and forming an opinion without the smarky bullshit of the IWC drowning them in negativity.

Is next week or the week after the last of the taped IMPACT?

The week after next. They did 6, and the 4th is running tonight.

Dude, Impact might be the worst it has ever been right now. Don't recommend that shit to anyone.

The worst ever? Not even close. 2011 was brutal, and even the product just 7-8 months ago was much worse than it is now. I feel they're improving and going in a promising direction.

But Joker Sting could show up any day now!

Plus I hear a convicted felon is the secret investor!

Eh.

Its not that bad. That was 2010-2011. Have you heard of the Anderson autotune segment?

TNA right now is just below average right now. They need better writers and fresh talent to really try to get good. Also, they need to get rid of the Dixie character.

They could definitely stand to have less Dixie, but that's the main story right now. It's not awful, but it could be being presented better than it has been of late. Regardless, I'm loving The Wolves, Joe, and MVP pushing back, and Roode playing the tweener.

A-Double and Bad Influence. The fact they even put those guys in a position to be forgotten is criminal.

Of the above, MVP isn't under contract, and Bad Influence are gone in a few months likely as "cost-cutting."

Speaking of TNA

Yesterday the WWE announced their first batch of programming for the WWE Network. With that announcement, they have laid claim to some primetime property on Thursday nights, with what will turn into a three-hour block of programming…

WWE Legends House (8PM ET – Not starting until April 10th)
WWE NXT Weekly Show (9PM ET)
WWE Superstars Weekly Show (10 PM ET)

What this means is that starting next week, WWE NXT and Superstars will go head to head with TNA Impact Wrestling on a weekly basis.

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

somedevil

The problem with taking TNA seriously is with stories like these coming out:

Because TNA's crowds are so small, they often have to write a check to the arena to get out as opposed to doing what everyone else does, which is the arena gets its cut out of the final settlement. Apparently this past December when TNA ran at Temple University, they had to write the building a $15,000 check because the money they took in that night couldn't even cover what they owed to the arena for renting the place

Yikes!!!

strobogo

Banned
Of the above, MVP isn't under contract, and Bad Influence are gone in a few months likely as "cost-cutting."

Speaking of TNA

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's going to be amazing when shows on the online only network get more viewers than Impact. But at the start when the numbers are still low, I think TNA will definitely be saying they're beating WWE*.

*Excluding Raw, Smackdown, PPV, merch, house shows, and licensing deals.

Alucard

Banned
At one point he wasn't though.

He likely had a little more freedom 10 years ago than guys do now.

He's not wrong about guys not stepping up, but when you get to a position as high as he's in, you lose perspective and aren't able to put yourself in the shoes of those under you. Ask anyone in management.

Still, it's great that Bray Wyatt seems to be one of the guys going after what he wants by writing his own promos. Not sure why more guys don't do that.

Rapstah

I wish Austin had asked him about not putting Barrett over.

People are blatantly mis-quoting Jericho and Edge about what actually went down in this match. Cena didn't book himself to win the match, nor does it sound like he actually laid out the last part. They were mad at him (and Edge didn't even care) for not refusing to do the spot where he won despite the concrete DDT, and even then it was like four years ago, and Jericho and Edge are wrestlers, so who knows how much they even complained.

If there's anything to blame Cena for it's how he doesn't seem to ever doubt or change what they decide he should do, but that's his entire career since 2005 in a nutshell and not just Summerslam 2010 in a nutshell.

(Also, Summerslam 2010 was the event where Big Show won against all three male members of the Straight Edge Society in a handicap match.)
Still, it's great that Bray Wyatt seems to be one of the guys going after what he wants by writing his own promos. Not sure why more guys don't do that.
He doesn't. He has a lot of creative input into how he says it and how he phrases things, but Bray Wyatt does not actually write his own promos.

okayfrog

Banned
At one point he wasn't though.

Yeah, there's the part at the end where Stone Cold mentions telling Vince to stop editing his lines. Cena and Stone Cold were getting somewhere about honesty in oneself. It's not really about John Cena or Stone Cold presenting who they are to the audience, but rather John Cena and Stone cold presenting their characters to the audience. A recent example would be Bray Wyatt. According to dirtsheets (lol), Dusty told Bray that he'd have to fight to be independent when going up to the main roster. He fought to keep his NXT theme and he fought to write his own lines. And because of those things, he's over. Can you imagine what kinda crap the WWE would have written for him? But nah, Windham Rotunda had confidence in his character Bray Wyatt and convinced everyone that that is who he is and it's great because if he didn't and the WWE writers had control, we'd probably still be hearing "HU-SKY HA-RRIS" chants.

People like to then point at guys like Zach Ryder who tried to do stuff but ended up flopping and the difference there is that even though Zach Ryder got over with the audience, his character that he presented to the fans was kinda just an underdog whiner. It was great seeing him win the title, but that's the most his character can shoot for and the audience knew that, so when he lost the title, the audience stopped caring.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Listening to the Cena/Stone Cold podcast. It's really good, I enjoy listening to him talk about guys not stepping up because it's god damn true.
These guys in the locker room just don't get it, they should be stepping up and speaking up and stop being afraid of losing their "spot" because when it comes down to it they don't actually have any spot worth keeping. It needs to be all or nothing, but the fact is they're comfortable with being thrown in random matches, tag teams and being the jobber of the week.

WWE Locker room be like:

73RGAx3.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Cena also needs to understand that some guys don't give as much of a shit as he does about "the business" and "the company." Some are glad to do enough to support their families and not "take risks" with their jobs because their job security is more important to them than being the next big thing.

XenoRaven

If you're making six figures to wrestle, or have the promise of making six figures in the future if you can stuck around, most people are going to tow the line.

Rapstah

I listened to the exact Wrestling Observer Radio where Bryan Alvarez, live on the air, got supposed confirmation from a WWE insider that Bray Wyatt writes his own promos. I also listened to the next Wrestling Observer Radio where he was corrected by another insider source that Bray does not in fact write his own promos, but there are a couple of guys on the creative team who are super into the character and write promos for him, and he gets to decide more than the average guy.

DMczaf

Cena also needs to understand that some guys don't give as much of a shit as he does about "the business" and "the company." Some are glad to do enough to support their families and not "take risks" with their jobs because their job security is more important to them than being the next big thing.

They are professional wrestlers. There is no such thing as "job security" unless your name is Mr. Hs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You want WrassleGAF to have a hot new topic? Someone take the brass ring and make a "Dave Batista looks set to eclipse the Rock in Hollywood" and watch people go bananas.

jmdajr

For some people it's just a job. Nothing wrong with that. But if you care to be a top dog, gotta take some risks. Yes, you might get fired, but at least you tried.

"Should I really fuck the bosses' daughter....

fuck it! time to play the game!"

WM11 was pretty dull.

The Blu Brothers vs. Lex Luger & The British Bulldog
Razor Ramon vs. Jeff Jarrett for the Intercontinental Title
King Kong Bundy vs. The Undertaker
Owen Hart & Yokozuna vs. The Smokin Gunns for the Tag Titles
Mr. Bob Backlund vs. Bret Hart in a Submission Match with Roddy Piper as the guest referee
Shawn Michaels vs. Diesel for the WWF Title
Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Lawrence Taylor

Aiii

So not worth it
I listened to the exact Wrestling Observer Radio where Bryan Alvarez, live on the air, got supposed confirmation from a WWE insider that Bray Wyatt writes his own promos. I also listened to the next Wrestling Observer Radio where he was corrected by another insider source that Bray does not in fact write his own promos, but there are a couple of guys on the creative team who are super into the character and write promos for him, and he gets to decide more than the average guy.
Certain people get bullet points and certain people get complete promos written for them, it's fairly easy to tell which people get which.

Alucard

Banned
They are professional wrestlers. There is no such thing as "job security" unless your name is Mr. Hs.

Eh, when you have as much money and are as big as the WWE, I'm sure there is a spot for the bagged lunch crowd. I put Kofi and Swagger in that category. And Kofi does a lot of promo work for the WWE, so I'm sure he's cool with his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom