• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken was the inferior Shamrock, we all know that.

frank-shamrock_phil-baroni_a.gif

damn those mid match taunts.

edit: shit, just noticed that Punk stole the GTS taunt from Frank. goddamn wrasslers stealing stuff from shooters.

strobogo

Banned
That gif is so good. The smirk on Baroni's face, Goldberg totally looking at the dick and then pretending like he was grossed out when he used to group shower with dudes in the NFL and WCW.

there's Shibata in the list. i still watch wrestling (99% NJPW but still), i just don't watch whatever WWE is putting out.

shit, i lie, i do watch Lesnar segments/matches.

If you want Shibita/Goto then I just feel like the WWE's the wrong place for you right now. As it stands matches like Bray/Bryan have sold me on the both, if that didn't appeal to you then I don't think you should pay any attention to WWE. That's unless acts like Enzo, Breeze, or Aiden appeal to you which they apparently don't.

strobogo

Banned
I like Shibata a lot, but I couldn't figure out the high praise for the Goto matches. It's a typical strike battle extended to a whole match kind of deal, which happens quite a bit in Japan and on stupid US indies. I just don't get it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like Shibata a lot, but I couldn't figure out the high praise for the Goto matches. It's a typical strike battle extended to a whole match kind of deal, which happens quite a bit in Japan and on stupid US indies. I just don't get it.

Shibata has the most beautiful kicks in all of wrestling helps.

But trust me, I'm not the one to tell you why Goto is good. Because I don't really think he is.

ibiIJi0xtJkGa5.jpg

It USED to happen quite a bit in Japan, but it's not very often than there's a strike-orientated match in New Japan these days. Which is the proper way to use that style - the Goto matches with Shibata ARE great because they're against the grain of a typical New Japan show. If New Japan were more of a shootstyle promotion, maybe those matches wouldn't be seen as anything special, but in the context of modern NJPW the matches definitely stand out and are something the crowd very much enjoyed.

I've seen it talked about multiple times but am i the only one not falling for the " PPV bonuses" shit? Especially for Punks departure. I assume their bonuses are based upon the gate and not PPV buys. From what i remember WM is the only time WWE makes decent PPV cash. 29 did a 12mil+ gate. I'm sure that was more than enough to hand out the WM paychecks. I'm sure they get something but i just really really doubt this has anything to do with PPV bonuses.

IMO this is 80% creative and 20% burnt out. It wouldn't make sense if this was all about the money. Because why would you quit and make no money instead of probably making a easy 100-200k in bonuses during WM season? The only thing that makes sense is they axed his match with HHH. Going from a title match, taker match, to curtain jerking with kane would piss me off too. If Orton/Batista is/was the main event for 30 than i don't blame him one fucking bit.

Hasney

Nah, I can buy the buyrate (hurrrr) being part of bonuses.

If we take one of the worst buyrates of last year, Night of Champions at allegedly 175k buys and multiply that by the $45 they want they that's $7.9million revenue. At the network announcement, they said that WWE only sees 40% of that, so we're down to $3.15m. If even only 10% of that is reflected in their bonuses, then that's $315,000 shared between at most, 20 guys at Elimination Chamber with the top of the card getting a bigger cut, which Punk would be part of. You're probably looking at a low end 5 figure sum for one main event match I reckon.

Even if my figures are off in terms of percentages and it goes to 5% of the buys split between the card for bonuses, you could easily extrapolate that for Wrestlemania which will do over 1 million buys @ $60 a pop, which according to Jerichos Undisputed book netted him a 6 figure sum against Triple H. But if the Network eats some of those buys and they haven't explained what that does to bonuses, that could be a big deal. Maybe Punk was only planning to stick around until Wrestlemania if we wasn't main eventing it anyway, take the cash and run, but now doesn't know how much he would get so he's just going to force WWE's hand to tell him how much he's likely to earn.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. Punk walking out is a good thing to show Vince and Trips that the way creative is run is horrible and pisses alot of people off, so I can't fault the guy for leaving.

Also that they've put their eggs in way too few baskets.

FyreWulff

Also that they've put their eggs in way too few baskets.

It doesn't even need to be that way, either! Even if it's just temporary, push a guy to the moon, so every time he or she wrestles after that, they get good pops and the crowd is into the matches. They don't have to go all the way to the top and stay there.

But no, they're so interested in "protecting" one guy who's so over he could sell shows without a title ever again for the next 10 years.

Limit

Today's raw ought to be something special. On internet it seems like Punk leaving is a big deal but who knows how much this means to a layperson attending WWE shows. Plus, will WWE acknowledge Punk's departure Stone cold style or do they want to sweep the whole thing under a rug Benoit style? Probably a little bit of both. In all likelihood they will feature Bryan throughout the show in order to keep Punk's chants to a minimum. Batista will get tons of heat on him and he might engage in heelish behavior as a way to maximally benefit from current turn of events. The rest of the raw will be same as ever but again, its all up to the crowd in how much they are going to hijack the show.

strobogo

Banned
Heel Batista vs Heel Orton sounds a lot more interesting than face Batista vs Heel Orton. They should go all in on it. Make it seem like the fans shitting all over the match was intentional heel heat. Bad reactions are better than no reactions. Also, fucking lol at these Smackdown pops. They don't even try. Worse than TNA's sound machine.

Also also, I got really annoyed at Cole asking JBL if he would have done to Ron Simmons what Titus just did to Darren Young. And instead of saying, "Yes, Maggle, that's exactly what I did and then I become the longest reigning champion in Smackdown history", JBL said "Ron Simmons is a former world champion, Darren Young isn't comparable". So JBL had the chance to compare Titus to himself, a nearly year long world champion, but declines and makes Darren Young sound like a loser in the process. So dumb. How hard is it to make people sound good on commentary?

Kaladin

Heel Batista vs Heel Orton sounds a lot more interesting than face Batista vs Heel Orton. They should go all in on it. Make it seem like the fans shitting all over the match was intentional heel heat. Bad reactions are better than no reactions. Also, fucking lol at these Smackdown pops. They don't even try. Worse than TNA's sound machine.

Still wouldn't salvage the match. They would shit on it with chants as much as boos.

Also also, I got really annoyed at Cole asking JBL if he would have done to Ron Simmons what Titus just did to Darren Young. And instead of saying, "Yes, Maggle, that's exactly what I did and then I become the longest reigning champion in Smackdown history", JBL said "Ron Simmons is a former world champion, Darren Young isn't comparable". So JBL had the chance to compare Titus to himself, a nearly year long world champion, but declines and makes Darren Young sound like a loser in the process. So dumb. How hard is it to make people sound good on commentary?

That's just JBL being JBL. I'm surprised Cole didn't call him out on it forcing JBL to change what he said, and then call him out on changing his mind.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Curious: Is anyone looking forward to the past couple of RAWs because of how much of a shit show it could potentially be? Last week with the Royal Rumble/Daniel Bryan thing... now CM Punk this week. I can't help but look, even in a time when I shouldn't be giving WWE attention.

I guess controversy does create cash.

Mr. Sam

Don't understand heel versus heel. Face versus face, whoever wins, we all win. Heel versus heel, whoever wins, we lose. Where's the fun in that? It was like when Sheamus and Orton had that match devoid of any tension prior to Orton turning face.

strobogo

Banned
It really bugged me. Cole was upset and thought Titus shouldn't have done what he did and could have handled that in the back without violence. JBL thought it was great and Titus was doing what he needed to do. Cole A. Not knowing that JBL did the same thing to Ron Simmons about a decade ago on a show he called and B. JBL not even acknowledging it, just saying that DY isn't comparable to Ron Simmons so Cole's question didn't matter anyway were both terrible.

JBL should have mentioned him turning on Simmons and HBK turning on Marty both led to them being world champions. Ron Simmons may have been a former WCW Champion, but he wasn't dick in WWE, so to flatly state that Darren Young can't compare to Ron Simmons was just about the worst way JBL could have taken that exchange.

Don't understand heel versus heel. Face versus face, whoever wins, we all win. Heel versus heel, whoever wins, we lose. Where's the fun in that? It was like when Sheamus and Orton had that match devoid of any tension prior to Orton turning face.

Because the crowd will shit on that anyway, so if they do heel vs heel, they can play it off as dudes getting heel heat, which will continue onto Raw and after for a few weeks at least. Hopefully. And heel Batista is way better.

Kyoufu

Curious: Is anyone looking forward to the past couple of RAWs because of how much of a shit show it could potentially be? Last week with the Royal Rumble/Daniel Bryan thing... now CM Punk this week. I can't help but look, even in a time when I shouldn't be giving WWE attention.

I guess controversy does create cash.

Eh, you'll probably get one Punk chant somewhere but then the crowd will get bored and start chanting YES! for 2 hours.

People will move on and latch onto other guys.

Aiii

So not worth it
I doubt it will be one CM Punk chant lol.

If I was WWE Raw tonight would be one big Daniel Bryan show.

jred2k

It really bugged me. Cole was upset and thought Titus shouldn't have done what he did and could have handled that in the back without violence. JBL thought it was great and Titus was doing what he needed to do. Cole A. Not knowing that JBL did the same thing to Ron Simmons about a decade ago on a show he called and B. JBL not even acknowledging it, just saying that DY isn't comparable to Ron Simmons so Cole's question didn't matter anyway were both terrible.

JBL should have mentioned him turning on Simmons and HBK turning on Marty both led to them being world champions. Ron Simmons may have been a former WCW Champion, but he wasn't dick in WWE, so to flatly state that Darren Young can't compare to Ron Simmons was just about the worst way JBL could have taken that exchange.

JBL and Cole concentrate way too much on trying to come off like pundits on Fox or MSNBC. A lot of time people blame the commentary being shit on Vince being in their ears, but I think they'd be just as bad without any interference. The worst is their cyclical arguments, especially when it has something to do with Zeb.

"What do you have against free speech, Michael?"
"I'm not against free speech, but why does he have to say that?"
"You're infringing on his rights."
"I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to say it, but I have the right to disagree."
"Why are you trying to silence him, Michael?"

Another thing that really bothers me is JBL chanting "Whats Up?" along with R Truth's entrance. Why is a supposedly heel commentator rapping along with a face's music?

I'm able to tune them out for the most part, but it would nice to not have to and for the commentary to actually add to a show instead of making it worse.

I doubt it will be one CM Punk chant lol.

If I was WWE Raw tonight would be one big Daniel Bryan show.

Their solution will be to put soldiers, cancer patients, and bullied kids in the ring for the entire 3 hours.

strobogo

Banned
JBL is way too inconsistent on who he likes and who he doesn't. Either he's the heel suck up that thinks everything HHH does is good, or he's dancing and singing with R Truth and marking out for Los Matadors. Dude needs to pick a side and stick with it. At least King is uniform in his completely lack of interest in the shows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait until this CM Punk stuff is done so all the fairweather fans can go back to doing whatever they do.

Who IS tuning in to Raw tonight? #ABA #askbootaaayanything

Pizoxuat

If the company still hasn't told the talent how PPV bonuses are going to work with the Network, I could see the disrespect eating up Punk. Or the continued lack of planning spilling over from creative and over into how the business is run generally.

jred2k

The new Totino's marketing campaign should be based around people eating pizza rolls by themselves in their shitty apartments while "ITS A SHAMEFUL THING" blares out on a loop.

Verendus

Banned
I can't see how anyone who has been handed so much like CM Punk can complain. Dude comes across as a bitch/twat/tosser/plonker etc.

Raw today, will watch tomorrow for news that Lesnar destroyed someone and officially entered the match. I still can't believe they'd waste his limited PPV date on the Big Slow. The horrific truth is not acceptable. There is light at the end of this tunnel I'm sure.

jmdajr

I wonder if Vince comes out at the start of the show....

Or if HHH comes out in a giant semi truck holding the world's largest shovel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom