• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

C4mNEbBUYAA4ZG9.jpg

I have to point out something that was brilliant long term booking and that all helped making this moment so meaningful.

And it is something I believe even some of WrestleGAF may have made fun of: taking the List of Jericho seriously.

When it started sure it was a funny silly thing, sure it was goofy but almost right away no one acted like it was. So kudos to all the guys who got put on the list and sold being put on the list. Elsworth comes to mind immediately. By treating something so naturally goofy as something serious, as something you didn't want to be put on, it made it matter. It made it mean something. The list was still allowed to be funny but they resisted the need to make it goofy in the storyline. That allowed Goldberg putting himself on the list last week to be a badass moment and it was that decision to treat the list seriously that made tonight work.

Jericho is a fucking genius.

A silly goofy catchphrase and prop was directly responsible for one of the most genuinely emotional and genuinely sad moments in Raw and frankly WWE history. All because everyone treated it seriously.

shanafan

I have to point out something that was brilliant long term booking and that all helped making this moment so meaningful.

And it is something I believe even some of WrestleGAF may have madd fun of: taking the list of Jericho seriously.

When it started it was a funny silly thing. It was goofy but no one acted like it was. So kudos to all the guys who got put on the list and sold being put on the list. Elsworth comes to mind immediately. By treating something so naturally goofy serious it made it matter. It made it mean something. The list was still allowed to be funny but they resisted the need to make it goofy in the storyline. That allowed Goldberg putting himself on the list last week a badass moment and it was that decision to treat the list seriously that made tonight work.

A silly goofy catchphrase prop was directly responsible for one if the most genuinely emotional and genuinely sad moments in Raw and frankly WWE history. All because everyone treated it seriously.

Beautifully said.

And The List of Jericho will go down as the best way to explain why I love wrestling... because where else could something like that work so brilliantly on every level.

Like this is why I love wrestling.

ReiGun

And it is something I believe even some of WrestleGAF may have made fun of: taking the List of Jericho seriously.

When it started sure it was a funny silly thing, sure it was goofy but almost right away no one acted like it was. So kudos to all the guys who got put on the list and sold being put on the list. Elsworth comes to mind immediately. By treating something so naturally goofy as something serious, as something you didn't want to be put on, it made it matter. It made it mean something. The list was still allowed to be funny but they resisted the need to make it goofy in the storyline. That allowed Goldberg putting himself on the list last week to bs a badass moment and it was that decision to treat the list seriously that made tonight work.

A silly goofy catchphrase and prop was directly responsible for one of the most genuinely emotional and genuinely sad moments in Raw and frankly WWE history. All because everyone treated it seriously.

Totally agreed. Beautiful storytelling all the way through.

Jericho really is a living legend. We better appreciate him while he can still go.

ShadyK54

When it started sure it was a funny silly thing, sure it was goofy but almost right away no one acted like it was. So kudos to all the guys who got put on the list and sold being put on the list. Elsworth comes to mind immediately. By treating something so naturally goofy as something serious, as something you didn't want to be put on, it made it matter. It made it mean something. The list was still allowed to be funny but they resisted the need to make it goofy in the storyline. That allowed Goldberg putting himself on the list last week to be a badass moment and it was that decision to treat the list seriously that made tonight work.

Well put.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

I definitely agree with this but reading it made me think. Why does this makes sense for KO from a kayfabe standpoint? The dude is going against Goldberg in a few weeks, and he takes out Jericho right now? I'm not sure the timing makes sense, unless somehow Samoa Joe comes into the picture to maybe help KO? Not sure that makes sense either. Interested to see where they take it. Hopefully they don't fuck it up.

I definitely agree with this but reading it made me think. Why does this makes sense for KO from a kayfabe standpoint? The dude is going against Goldberg in a few weeks, and he takes out Jericho right now? I'm not sure the timing makes sense, unless somehow Samoa Joe comes into the picture to maybe help KO? Not sure that makes sense either. Interested to see where they take it. Hopefully they don't fuck it up.

I mean the obvious is he made a deal with HHH (we saw hints of that on Raw. Turning on Jericho was probably part of the deal. The look on Owens face showed sadness when he killed Jericho) and remember is Jericho put him in that position in the first place.

His conversation with Triple H earlier in the evening could mean several things.

1. Maybe Triple H is calling in some sort of favor on Owens, and they're tying it into Samoa Joe's current storyline where he's grateful for the opportunity Triple H gave him. Triple H is just deciding to finally get all of his chosen NXT people together, and in return for getting rid of Jericho, Owens will have Joe in his corner at Fastlane.

2. Owens is told that he will be given Lesnar as backup at Fastlane, but only if he gets rid of Jericho. Lesnar has agreed to this arrangement because it means that he gets a chance to beat up Goldberg before Wrestlemania. Triple H wants Jericho out because 1. he finally wants to give Owens his full support on-screen, 2. the top champion Owens shouldn't be wasting his time with dead weight like Jericho, and 3. Triple H never liked Jericho anyway.

3. The same as #2, but it was Owens' idea to take out Jericho because he was sick of him.

Triple H inserting himself into the Owens/Jericho storyline means that they're probably spinning the whole "Triple H has a bunch of NXT grads that he brought into the company" thing into a bigger angle beyond just Joe and Rollins. It can incorporate Balor coming back in a few weeks, and rejecting Triple H's help, leading to a match with Joe. Then you have Rollins as the "original" Triple H NXT guy fighting Triple H at Mania (assuming he's healthy in time).

EDIT: Side note: Jericho put Friendship the Magician on the List of Jericho earlier in the segment. However, assume that he just wrote "Friendship" on the List. Thus placing the very idea of "friendship" on the List and foreshadowing/leading to the destruction of JeriKO minutes later. It's like a less-fatal version of a Death Note.

Anth0ny

in an ideal world, jericho/owens is absolutely the main event of mania

instead owens is about to do the job for the real main eventer

Lothar

Banned
It's pretty brilliant

In a just world it would be the main event at Mania for the title

Coupd you imagine this segment during the Attitude Era?

It would be the hottest thing ever

Perhaps it will be. What deal could Owens have made with HHH unless it's a promise to help with Goldberg? HHH had to say he didn't need Jericho because he had him.

If Jericho starts to become popular and turns into the #1 face on Raw, he has to tell Fozzy to fuck off, right?

It's pretty brilliant

In a just world it would be the main event at Mania for the title

Coupd you imagine this segment during the Attitude Era?

It would be the hottest thing ever

Yeah it would have been crazy hot.

It sucks KO is jobbing to Goldberg and everything. I just really, really hope they dont fuck it up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Perhaps it will be. What deal could Owens have made with HHH unless it's a promise to help with Goldberg? HHH had to say he didn't need Jericho because he had him.

If Jericho starts to become popular and turns into the #1 face on Raw, he has to tell Fozzy to fuck off, right?

He already did it once since he came back this time.

in an ideal world, jericho/owens is absolutely the main event of mania

instead owens is about to do the job for the real main eventer

And Jericho/Owens might be like, third match on the main show of Mania. Unless the preshow is five hours, which considering last year's was four isn't out of the question

Yeah I just worry that they introduce HHH to justify KO lasting longer against Goldberg than a squash while ultimately still losing the belt.

That said maybe the reason this segment was so well done is that there is a change of plans... here's hoping because Jericho/Owens is now easily the hottest feud in wrestling and deserves to be for the Raw's main title.

UberTag

Yeah I just worry that they introduce HHH to justify KO lasting longer against Goldberg than a squash while ultimately still losing the belt.

That said maybe the reason this segment was so well done is that there is a change of plans... here's hoping because Jericho/Owens is now easily the hottest feud in wrestling and deserves to be for the Raw's main title.
It would be wise of the WWE to take the US title off of Jericho before Fastlane just to invite the possibility of that happening.

I would actually love the HHH NXT Mafia to get fleshed out for Mania and then continue into the new year.

Have Owens/Balor/Joe, hell bring up Bobby Roode too.

Have a core group of dudes walking around in nice business attire just fucking people up

Lothar

Banned
I legit think Owens vs Jericho WILL be the main event.

Yeah, Goldberg/Lesnar can't be. Even in Goldberg's prime, a WM main event would have been a bad idea. He wasn't capable of a WM main event caliber match in his prime. Now it would be insanity. Will the WM main event be 2 minutes? There's no reason to think a 50 year old Goldberg can do more than that.

I legit think Owens vs Jericho WILL be the main event.
It may have been shot down as BS, but wasn't there a thing from Meltzer's podcast where they said they heard about something awesome but didn't want to say anything for fear of them changing it?

Owens/Jericho as main event for the title could fit that description. (wishful thinking, of course. fully expecting Goldberg to win but I'm feeling the fuckery coming)

Barrage

Only fear I have about Owens/y2j main eventing is that Owens s for sure winning that. And if Owens is winning, then Wyatt ain't.

LOL this is what being a dirtsheet reading WWE fan is all about... you hear about the shit you don't want to see and hope and pray and look for signs that they changed their minds or that the sheets are wrong lol...

Top Bottom