• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Edge's first big feud with Cena was pretty bad for him

> wins title with MITB
> loses it to Cena in their first match for the title
> loses a return match that leads to getting sidetracked into the Foley feud
> is unsuccessful in a triple threat for the title
> is sidetracked again into a feud with ECW alumni
> screws Cena out of the title to give it to RVD, who he then loses against in a title match
> wins title in triple threat
> beats Cena with brass knuckles
> is FU'd into the Long Island Sound
> loses title to Cena in a TLC match
> knocked down into Rated RKO for like a year until he gets the MITB from an injured Kennedy, cashes in on Taker, and only then does he get something resembling main event booking.

It was painfully obvious that management didn't have much faith in him.

There is a fuck hhh involved in this btw.

Sephzilla

If Cena is the main guy and they are challengers and not ready to be the main guy in the opinion of Vince, that's not on Cena. Like it or not, Cena is popular, sells a shit ton of merch and works harder for the company than anyone. Maybe some of these so called talents should take a look at what Cena has done and try to copy it

It is on Vince to a certain degree, probably more than Cena, because he does seem to lose interest in characters after they get fed to Cena. Cena could also speak up and try to help put over some of his coworkers though. By the time the Nexus/Rusev/Wyatt stuff was all happening, Cena was well past the point where wins/losses would actually going to damage his merch numbers or status in the company. Which is why Cena getting wins over every up and coming talent is stupid because it ultimately doesn't help the product.

Ithil

Bray_ProTitle--c93f60d49eee7150a97846f772f82a3d.png

It is on Vince to a certain degree, because he does seem to lose interest in characters after they get fed to Cena. Cena could also speak up and try to help put over some of his coworkers though. By the time the Nexus/Rusev/Wyatt stuff was all happening, Cena was well past the point where wins/losses would actually going to damage his merch numbers or status in the company. Which is why Cena getting wins over every up and coming talent is stupid because it ultimately doesn't help the product.

I think what doesn't help is that the feuds don't last long enough. There isn't any build up or any longevity to 90% of them. I was listening to Storm & Cyrus's podcast the other week and I totally agree with what they were saying on this subject - there isn't the build to get people to really care, everyone is in a fucking angle / feud and moves from one to the next. Rather have 3 or 4 main angles, let them develop, let a villain become a challenger people believe might beat the champ, do it over several months before you pay it off etc etc. Part of the reason these people go into relative obscurity is because the main event feuds don't last long enough.

Nekofrog

Banned
I had stopped watching by the time the edge cena stuff happened (and the majority of edges main event runs), but before I was lapsed I remember them pouring huge amounts of effort into making edge a main eventer. Did a better option (cena) take off and he was deprioritized?

I had stopped watching by the time the edge cena stuff happened (and the majority of edges main event runs), but before I was lapsed I remember them pouring huge amounts of effort into making edge a main eventer. Did a better option (cena) take off and he was deprioritized?

Cena was just gaining steam as THE GUY just a hair before Edge (won the title at 21, Edge wins MITB at the same event).

But Cena was the big babyface, so he gets the priority.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If Cena is the main guy and they are challengers and not ready to be the main guy in the opinion of Vince, that's not on Cena. Like it or not, Cena is popular, sells a shit ton of merch and works harder for the company than anyone. Maybe some of these so called talents should take a look at what Cena has done and try to copy it

I mean, they're all on steroids, dude.

CALM YOUR FUCKING TITS FIGHT CLUB

C4u_Xe5WMAIldBc.jpg:small
C4u_Xe6WEAETxYW.jpg:small

tournament guys are:

Moustache Mountain
FSU
Bruiser Cats (Dunne & Callihan)
LDRS
Penta & Fenix
Two TBD teams
Evans & Angelico

Can we talk about how much of a great shoot Be a man Hulk is

https://youtu.be/dG7jTAGliyY

Hip-Hop feuds are a work, though. That being said...

They call you Hollywood (hugh hugh) don't make me laugh
Cuz your movies and your actin' skills are both trash
Your movies straight to video the box office can't stand
While I got myself a feature role in Spider Man

wow.png
Hulk gon have to hold this L forever.

This song is surprisingly good...

They call you Hollywood (hugh hugh) don't make me laugh
Cuz your movies and your actin' skills are both trash
Your movies straight to video the box office can't stand
While I got myself a feature role in Spider Man

wow.png
Hulk gon have to hold this L forever.

Feature role is a bit of a stretch there, Bonesaw.

raw

Jobbing to a vanilla midget like Tobey Maguire.

CALM YOUR FUCKING TITS FIGHT CLUB

C4u_Xe5WMAIldBc.jpg:small
C4u_Xe6WEAETxYW.jpg:small

tournament guys are:

Moustache Mountain
FSU
Bruiser Cats (Dunne & Callihan)
LDRS
Penta & Fenix
Two TBD teams
Evans & Angelico

Stoked I'm going to the first day of this. Wolverhampton on Friday (pretty much purely for BSS vs Elite), then back up to Glasgow to go to ICW Barramania on the Sunday. Poor bastard Trent is gonna be needing to do double duty on Easter Sunday too, since he'll likely be defending the ICW title at that show.

Stoked I'm going to the first day of this. Wolverhampton on Friday (pretty much purely for BSS vs Elite), then back up to Glasgow to go to ICW Barramania on the Sunday. Poor bastard Trent is gonna be needing to do double duty on Easter Sunday too, since he'll likely be defending the ICW title at that show.

I am very jealous. London leg should still be a good time.

somedevil

Smackdown Viewership:

Tuesday’s WWE Smackdown Live averaged 2.626 million viewers for USA Network, according to Showbuzzdaily.com. The number was essentially the same as the 2.627 million count from last Tuesday’s edition.

Sephzilla

Spider-Man wouldn't exist without a Vince McMahon-esque last minute creative-rewrite.

The Human Spider wouldn't have gotten over. Spider-Man did.

Anth0ny

peter parker, like many young workers of the day, didn't know it was a work until he was passed the curtain. bonesaw, a veteran of the business, know how to work a work even if the other worker tried to shoot.

successful in his shoot, parker was later worked by the promoter. however, he was later shot on the hardest by a shooter who legit shot his grandfather, resulting in one of the greatest works in american history.

Harley race body slaming Andre the giant in 1979
image.gif

Strong Kobayashi doing it in 1972 :p

JbX9un3.gif

As far as I can tell, that's the earliest known footage of Andre getting slammed, as he'd only been wrestling in Europe before he toured Japan for IWE. I think it goes Kobayashi > Butcher Vachon > Race > Kamala > Hogan.

That promoter after his match was carny as fuck. He was lucky Peter didn't slap him in a front headlock, give him the ol crankarooskie, Richard Belzer gimmick brother.

Sephzilla

peter parker, like many young workers of the day, didn't know it was a work until he was passed the curtain. bonesaw, a veteran of the business, know how to work a work even if the other worker tried to shoot.

successful in his shoot, parker was later worked by the promoter. however, he was later shot on the hardest by a shooter who legit shot his grandfather, resulting in one of the greatest works in american history.

5 star post

Spider-Man wouldn't exist without a Vince McMahon-esque last minute creative-rewrite.

The Human Spider wouldn't have gotten over. Spider-Man did.
Bruce's character knew what was best for business.

That heel run didn't last long after that legit shoot. Spidey is the greatest face in the industry, hands-down.

Parker was right to let the robber go. He had no way of knowing Uncle Ben would get capped for it

Imma go ahead and say her morals were shitty and he should've stopped him. He's actually a kind of a shitty person when he puts on the mask, like, constantly, 90% of the time. But I love him, fave Superhero.

Sephzilla

That heel run didn't last long after that legit shoot. Spidey is the greatest face in the industry, hands-down.

He had a more successful heel run later on in his career that also became the launching pad for another up and comers career who had previously fizzled out in the journalism field

latest

Fox318

Shoot

Top Bottom