• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Caderfix

Could someone please explain to me what the hell was with the Emma to Emmalina to Emma transformation thing this week? It makes no sense to me as an angle for a character's return. I thought she was a heel doin heel things before. What the heck is this character supposed to be and how is it relevant?

I don't understand this writing.

Apparently the Emmalina idea was canned because the person behind it left the WWE and the remaining people didn't know how to handle it AND the backstage people weren't impressed with Emma's performance on the role, so they went back to the previous gimmick.

Fox318

That no where as bad as Enzo.

That was a match on the 2nd biggest PPV of the year in defense of the top title in the company.

Against somebody whom he shouldn't even be selling for in the first place.

There's a reason why after Dean finally won the belt people soured on him quickly. He slacked off and nobody is clamoring for him to have a match or program at mania.

shaowebb

Apparently the Emmalina idea was canned because the person behind it left the WWE and the remaining people didn't know how to handle it AND the backstage people weren't impressed with Emma's performance on the role, so they went back to the previous gimmick.

So...is she back to a heel who underhook suplexes girls into the turnbuckle that does indian deathlocks? Because I really have no idea what in the hell creative could do with someone coming out and just showing vacation slides of themself and acting like a model. Being pretty is just a general thing in that division. Its not gonna work as an angle by itself with so many magazine like girls all there with her.

Caderfix

We'll never know what the Emmalina thing was all about, but as far as I remember, people said the original idea was actually cool. I doubt it though.

By the way, I'm just repeating stuff I read a few pages ago, I didn't actually read the report or anything like that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with "being hot" as a gimmick is that every on screen female in WWE is hot, from the wrestlers to the ring announcers to the interviewers. That's not even a gimmick.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Linda McMahon's inclusion in the Trump administration even in the limited role she has is the clearest example of pay to play in politics.

The people didn't want her. Twice. And now she is in a position of power.

Fuck the McMahons, fuck Trump.
We're playing with the biggest carnies of them all now. Washington carnies.

Caderfix

The problem with "being hot" as a gimmick is that every on screen female in WWE is hot, from the wrestlers to the ring announcers to the interviewers. That's not even a gimmick.

But those are now more "respectable", having someone actually behaving like a model could be. Maybe not a good one, but one still.

Beefy

I missed this yesterday

Ahaha even fucking Josh Mathews knows it������

I remember when he got:

tt8xN.gif

And:

DUITY.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But those are now more "respectable", having someone actually behaving like a model could be. Maybe not a good one, but one still.

They've done that like a million times and it never works because being one hot person in a crowd of a dozen hot people doesn't do anything.

Pikma

Banned
How come a guy like Jericho is always able to have great interactions/feuds with everyone else, and even when he goes over in the ring he always makes sure to help everyone else look great during promos, AJ, KO, E&C, Jack's umbrella spot during RR, there's a lot of examples, yet John Cena can never make someone else other than himself look good? Like, I don't remember the last time a feud with John Cena benefited someone else, he always has to come out on top no matter what, even when he loses in the ring...

I'd understand it if Jericho's job was to be just a jobber, but he is not even a jobber...

Caderfix

They've done that like a million times and it never works because being one hot person in a crowd of a dozen hot people doesn't do anything.

It should be that she was going to try and take the female wrestlers back to the Diva's era, trying to ruin the revolution, then Kelly Kelly shows up and they become a tag team, leading to the creation of the Women's Tag Team division.
lol

How come a guy like Jericho is always able to have great interactions/feuds with everyone else, and even when he goes over in the ring he always makes sure to help everyone else look great during promos, AJ, KO, E&C, Jack's umbrella spot during RR, there's a lot of examples, yet John Cena can never make someone else other than himself look good? Like, I don't remember the last time a feud with John Cena benefited someone else, he always has to come out on to no matter what, even when he loses in the ring...

I'd understand it if Jericho's job was to be just a jobber, but he is not even a jobber...

Ego and the fact that Jericho doesn't need the job. Guy has wrestled for 25+ years he doesn't need titles or a big contact guy clearly just wants to have fun and wrestle all the indy darlings

Angry Grimace

How come a guy like Jericho is always able to have great interactions/feuds with everyone else, and even when he goes over in the ring he always makes sure to help everyone else look great during promos, AJ, KO, E&C, Jack's umbrella spot during RR, there's a lot of examples, yet John Cena can never make someone else other than himself look good? Like, I don't remember the last time a feud with John Cena benefited someone else, he always has to come out on to no matter what, even when he loses in the ring...

Because Jericho gets a lot more choice in the direction of his character Cena's being directly booked by Vince to be the Top Guy.

Jericho's an upper-midcarder who has Vince's ear (if you read Jericho's book its pretty clear Vince likes Jericho) so he takes a lot more of an active role in what he's doing and can make sure he's in roles with lots of other guys he thinks are up-and-comers. He basically invented the 2008 Heel Jericho character himself and came up with a lot of the stuff in the angles with Edge and CM Punk.

Barrage

...You really think Cena's feud with Styles didn't benefit AJ? Really?

Angry Grimace

The argument that Cena doesn't put anyone over seems pretty suspect in the last couple of years. He got pinned by Bray Wyatt clean twice in 3 days, he lost to AJ Styles a couple of times, got pinned clean by Dean Ambrose on an episode of SmackDown.

We're past the point where AJ Styles needs to "look good."

Sephzilla

AJ benefited from it, but lets see how Styles floats now that he's out of the Cena crosshairs and out of the main event picture for now. That's when the true post-Cena effect takes hold

Cena coming to "get his win back" against AJ and simply be a purely transitional champion for Bray I think ultimately hurt AJ a bit and also hurt Bray a bit too

Angry Grimace

AJ benefited from it, but lets see how Styles floats now that he's out of the Cena crosshairs and out of the main event picture for now. That's when the true post-Cena effect takes hold

Cena coming to "get his win back" against AJ and simply be a purely transitional champion for Bray I think ultimately hurt AJ a bit and also hurt Bray a bit too

The difference between Rusev/Nexus guys and AJ Styles is pretty clear.

AJ Styles is one of the signature stars of the company.

Pikma

Banned
Because Jericho gets a lot more choice in the direction of his character Cena's being directly booked by Vince to be the Top Guy.

Jericho's an upper-midcarder who has Vince's ear (if you read Jericho's book its pretty clear Vince likes Jericho) so he takes a lot more of an active role in what he's doing and can make sure he's in roles with lots of other guys he thinks are up-and-comers. He basically invented the 2008 Heel Jericho character himself and came up with a lot of the stuff in the angles with Edge and CM Punk.
So you're telling me Vince allows Jericho to do whatever he wants but Cena can't? What?

Again, I'm not talking about booking tho, I'm talking about the general interactions they have with other guys

Barrage

He was "out of Cena's crosshairs" the last four months he was WWE Champions.

Other guys that managed to "benefit" from running into Cena: Punk, Bryan, RVD, and now Wyatt. He also put over Dean, Sheamus, and Del Rio, but i'm sure it's Cena's fault they blew it.

He's given other guys more clean wins then maybe any top guy in WWE history.

Angry Grimace

So you're telling me Vince allows Jericho to do whatever he wants but Cena can't? What?

Again, I'm not talking about booking tho, I'm talking about the general interactions they have with other guys

I'm saying that the direction of Cena's character is to just go over all the time and do the same exact schtick of burying them on the mic and being superman because it sells T-shirts and house show tickets. It's a pretty flat character and doesn't lend itself to the varied stuff someone like Jericho can do.

If anything, Cena's done a great job of burying the "you can't wrestle" shit that he used to get because he's a great wrestler. AJ Styles gets all the credit for the great matches they did, but its a ridiculous assertion that AJ Styles "carried" Cena to a 4 1/2 star match.

Sephzilla

He was "out of Cena's crosshairs" the last four months he was WWE Champions.

Other guys that managed to "benefit" from running into Cena: Punk, Bryan, RVD, and now Wyatt. He also put over Dean, Sheamus, and Del Rio, but i'm sure it's Cena's fault they blew it.

He's given other guys more clean wins then maybe any top guy in WWE history.

Bray squandered in the midcard for 2 years thanks to Cena. I don't remember RVD really getting much benefit from Cena either. Also, I remember when Cena put over Dean in a match where the loser (Cena) got a better reward than the winner (Dean) did

Cena also completely killed Del Rio's gimmick when they first feuded, and Del Rio never truly recovered from that.

Beefy

I'm saying that the direction of Cena's character is to just go over all the time and do the same exact schtick of burying them on the mic and being superman because it sells T-shirts and house show tickets. It's a pretty flat character and doesn't lend itself to the varied stuff someone like Jericho can do.

Yep Roman is the new "over guy". Everything is built to make Roman look strong, even Braun getting built as being strong just for Roman.

And made the number 16 useless. What a joke. Its a real slap in the face to everyone who ever stepped into a ring.
Sorry Ill get off my high horse. They should have had Brey beat AJ, and that be the next hot feud. AJ V Brey.

I wish Hollywood cam knocking on Cena's door hard. How many more years??

Everything you hear about Cena makes him sound like a robot that you just tell him what to do.

Jericho is clearly autonomous

Sephzilla

Here's the list of people I'd say ultimately benefited from a Cena feud
- CM Punk
- Daniel Bryan
- AJ Styles

Here's the list of people I'd say were hurt from a Cena feud
- Bray Wyatt
- Damien Sandow
- Ryback
- Alberto Del Rio
- Shaemus
- The Nexus
- Rusev

Angry Grimace

I think the reason they had Cena go over wasn't just so AJ would look like a geek, but so that Cena could tie the record without a bunch of dumb fanfare because breaking the record is a much more interesting storyline than tying it because Cena has to lose the title to break it later on.

There's also the fact that Cena came off of a weak year in which he barely appeared and did a lot of laying down for the more regular guys on the roster.

I have no problem whatsoever with Cena going over, particularly not when he put on a great match in the process. That said, should that match have been the main event of WrestleMania? Absolutely. Putting Cena in the main event against an indie darling who was going to lose but do a match like that would have been completely epic. They just straight-up squandered it, and I knew it was going to be squandered the moment they booked it for RR instead of WM because Styles and Cena work insanely well together.

Barrage

Bray squandered in the midcard for 2 years thanks to Cena. I don't remember RVD really getting much benefit from Cena either. Also, I remember when Cena put over Dean in a match where the loser (Cena) got a better reward than the winner (Dean) did

Cena also completely killed Del Rio's gimmick when they first feuded, and Del Rio never truly recovered from that.

Thanks to Cena? CENA ISN'T THE BOOKER.

Wyatt's feuds with Jericho and Ambrose were both underwhelming,which has nothing to do with Cena (Wyatt won the Ambrose feud btw, definitively).

RVD didn't get much "benefit" because he blew a drug test. He went over Cena cleanly, in front of a super-hot crowd. That was every opportunity for RVD to stay a main eventer.

It seems like anti-Cena marks think he should lose every feud he participates in,or has ever participated in. Him-again- putting over more people than any top guy in the history of WWE isn't enough. He still has to pay for 2005's sins, apparently.

miserable

- CM Punk
- Daniel Bryan
- AJ Styles

- Bray Wyatt
- Damien Sandow
- Ryback
- Alberto Del Rio
- Shaemus
- The Nexus

you forgot about Rusev

Bronx-Man

Banned
- CM Punk
- Daniel Bryan
- AJ Styles

- Bray Wyatt
- Damien Sandow
- Ryback
- Alberto Del Rio
- Shaemus
- The Nexus
Don't forget Umaga and Lashley.

Angry Grimace

Thanks to Cena? CENA ISN'T THE BOOKER.

Wyatt's feuds with Jericho and Ambrose were both underwhelming,which has nothing to do with Cena (Wyatt won the Ambrose feud btw, definitively).

RVD didn't get much "benefit" because he blew a drug test. He went over Cena cleanly, in front of a super-hot crowd. That was every opportunity for RVD to stay a main eventer.

It seems like anti-Cena marks think he should lose every feud he participates in,or has ever participated in. Him-again- putting over more people than any top guy in the history of WWE isn't enough. He still has to pay for 2005's sins, apparently.

He put over every main eventer on SmackDown (other than Randy Orton and who cares, its Orton) in the last year. Styles, Ambrose and Wyatt all have clean wins over John Cena in the past year.

Pikma

Banned
The argument that Cena doesn't put anyone over seems pretty suspect in the last couple of years. He got pinned by Bray Wyatt clean twice in 3 days, he lost to AJ Styles a couple of times, got pinned clean by Dean Ambrose on an episode of SmackDown.

We're past the point where AJ Styles needs to "look good."
Oh don't worry, he'll get his win back, he already said he hasn't earned the title despite pinning clean both AJ and him in one night.

- CM Punk
- Daniel Bryan
- AJ Styles

- Bray Wyatt
- Damien Sandow
- Ryback
- Alberto Del Rio
- Shaemus
- The Nexus
- Rusev

Add HHH, Batista, JBL and Rock to benefit

imBask

Banned
yo the story on reddit about Braun getting yelled at for saying "title shot" instead of "title match"

Vince sure is sane guys, he did nothing wrong, it's all HHH!

Top Bottom