• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

I'm not going to say that Miyahara vs. The Bodyguard was better than it had any right to be, but it was a solid match that allowed The Bodyguard to play fan favorite in front of the Osaka crowd. It was a solid title defense for Miyahara, who was able to work with someone who's much more limited in the ring than the other challengers to his Triple Crown Championship during this reign.

Zach

Nope

j2DcQc0.jpg

Austin/McMahon was great. Imagine the Attitude Era without it. The Grind after The Grind.

Dave Meltzer just broke someones heart:

:D

Lothar

Banned

1. Attitude Era
2. Golden Era
3. New Generation
4. PG Era
5. New era
6. Reality Era
7. Ruthless Aggression Era - the time that was so shitty it killed off the wrestling boom. 19% voted for that? There must be more Katie Vick fans than I thought.

1. Attitude Era
2. Golden Era
3. New Generation
4. PG Era
5. New era
6. Reality Era
7. Ruthless Aggression Era - the time that was so shitty it killed off the wrestling boom. 19% voted for that? There must be more Katie Vick fans than I thought.

Most of the big stars were still there at that point.

Syder

1. Attitude Era
2. Golden Era
3. New Generation
4. PG Era
5. New era
6. Reality Era
Hey, there was a lot of good shit about Ruthless Aggression. I remember RA the most vividly and Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Angle were all great.

Also, you'd put the era of Punk & Bryan below the current era?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ruthless Aggression is also by far the juiciest era of WWE. Buckets of blood for years and years as HHH pretends to be Ric Flair while pretending to look like Harley Race.

Lothar

Banned
Most of the big stars were still there at that point.

Yeah, but how were they used? Booker T loses his big feud to the racist. Jericho and Christian were used so horribly they left. Benoit and Guerrero are just depressing to think about. Guerrero felt that he had to turn into a huge steroid monster. I hate seeing him in his post 2002 form and he wasn't as good as a wrestler bulked up. I'd rather watch him in 2000. This is the time of Katie Vick, new ECW, the Boogeyman, Cryme Tyme, Mexicools, and worst of all, Evolution. I see this as the HHH and friends era. Sure he was on top in 2000, but he deserved it then.

My favorite Kurt Angle period was 2000-2001 also. I wanted funny Kurt not serious Kurt.

I feel like Jericho, Benoit and Eddie will be forever underrated because of when they came into WCW/WWE. HHH, Rock, HBK, Austin, etc will always be thought of first.

Lothar

Banned
I feel like Jericho, Benoit and Eddie will be forever underrated because of when they came into WCW/WWE. HHH, Rock, HBK, Austin, etc will always be thought of first.

Yeah, and it's all the the fault of the writing. Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Angle (he should have been bigger), Booker T, RVD should have been the next HHH, Rock, HBK, and Austin but the writing wasn't there for them.

WWE told us it was all about HHH, Orton, Batista, and everyone else was nothing.

Lothar

Banned
Hey, there was a lot of good shit about Ruthless Aggression. I remember RA the most vividly and Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Angle were all great.

Also, you'd put the era of Punk & Bryan below the current era?

That picture called the PG Era 2008-2013. Well that would be Punk & Bryan. CM Punk left in Jan 2014. I put that above current.

Anth0ny

where's that really long post I did where i worked a shoot

oh here it is

these fucking names suck wwe

this is the correct naming

The Golden Era (1984-1994)

Begins with Hogan winning the title, enter the 80s Wrestling boom. Ends with Hogan going to WCW.

The New Generation (1994-1997)

With Hogan gone by June of 1994, a new era of main eventers begins in WWF. Enter the rise of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart and Kevin "it's fuckin fake" Nash. WWF suffered its worst ratings ever, until

The Attitude Era (1997-2001)

The greatest era begins with the greatest match ever at Wrestlemania 13 between Bret Hart and Stone Cold Steve Austin. On that night, Austin solidified himself as the future of the wrestling business. The era definitively ended with the death of WCW in 2001 and the greatest PPV of all time, Wrestlemania X7.

The Invasion Era (2001-2002)

At Mania X7, Stone Cold turned heel and WWF stopped trying because they no longer had any competition. Enter the Invasion era. The Invasion Era ended at Wrestlemania X8 when the greatest invaders of all, the NWO, were defeated by the best of the WWF. The next night on Raw, a new mother fucker would appear and powerbomb this shit era to a close.

Ruthless Aggression (2002-2004)

The debut of Brock Lesnar and rise of WORK RATE with Paul Heyman's Smackdown. This era ended when Brock left, and aggression within the company became instantly less ruthless.

The Dark Era (2004-2008)

With Lesnar gone, WWE needed to find a new "GUY". Enter the rise of John Cena. Eddie drops dead. Nothing memorable really happens during this era. ECW made a brief comeback and was subsequently fucking DESTROYED by Vince Mcmahon. Then Benoit kills his wife and kid and himself. Enter...

The PG Era (2008-2011)

WWE responded to Benoit by making their product more family friendly. And by family friendly, I mean goofy and kiddy and stupid as fuck. John Cena is the guy. Michael Cole as a heel. R Truth and Miz in the main event. Guest hosts. Even less happened during this era than the Dark era.

The Reality Era (2011-Now)

CM Punk drops one of the greatest promos of all time, leading to one of the greatest matches of all time at Money in the Bank 2011. Combined with the return of The Rock, lapsed fans begins to tune back into the product. More and more part timers return to WWE, bringing back more and more older fans. Hardcore fans begin to hijack shows with inappropriate chants, booing the lame ass characters that got over in the PG era. Enter the rise of Daniel Bryan. Divas become women. The rise of NXT: WWE raids New Japan Pro Wrestling, TNA and ROH for the greatest WRESTLING talent in the world. There is a clear change in philosophy from the prior era, and this can mostly be attributed by the buzz Punk brought to the product with that promo.

gun_haver

I can really only take an interest in wrestling if it's happening now or is the most recent show. Well, that and occasionally I'll watch old promos on youtube, but never matches.

It's just the nature of being live, there's always a chance that something unexpected and interesting could happen. It almost never does - but only almost never. Every once in a while, maybe once a year or twice if you're lucky, something happens that is really fun and that's why you keep an eye on the thing even though 90% of it is boring bullshit.

I think a lot of it is - sure, X match from 1991 or 2008 might have been very good, but I know where the road leads, and the reality is, the road always leads to the same few places. We're here now, and wrestling is more or less the same as it ever was, except a bit worse for how corporate and produced it is (and therefore more predictable).

Zach

Jericho and Eddie are far better in WWE and I love their final heel WCW characters.

I preferred them in WCW.

I preferred them in WCW.

I preferred them in WCW.

I preferred them in WCW.

I preferred them in WCW.

I preferred them in WCW.

dean and saturn are far worse

What fool would dispute that? Ha!

Yeah, and it's all the the fault of the writing. Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Angle (he should have been bigger), Booker T, RVD should have been the next HHH, Rock, HBK, and Austin but the writing wasn't there for them.

WWE told us it was all about HHH, Orton, Batista, and everyone else was nothing.

So then not much has changed. WWE still leans on older, established (and legend deal) guys while putting the core talent in circles story wise. That said a few guys are making the most of it and turning it into bigger things (New Day, KO, Jericho).

Zach

I did prefer WCW. But that doesn't make me a blind jerk who loves WCW for the sake of its WCW-ness. There was so much hilarious trash in WCW. But I would totally rather watch WCW Eddie/Benoit/Jericho over their WWF/E stuff. There's probably someone I liked more in WWF/E.

Like.

I dunno.

Jake the Snake. >_>

Jashobeam

watching less and less WWE nowadays, have so much more free time lol, can clear out some of vg backlog. so happy to get that monkey off my back.

Zach

I am, as the young kids like OwensIsNow would say, pulling your chain.

I'm actually curious about WCW vs. WCW careers for wrasslers. Do you think there's anyone out there that preferred Austin in the dead company?

I thought I did before my chrono-journey. But pre-neck injury Stone Cold is hard to beat. I'll take Stunning Steve over post-neck injury Stone Cold, though.

Syder

All better in WCW. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. I just think that's why these key Ruthless Aggression Era guys don't elevate the era for me; I preferred them in WCW.
At the time I only knew them in their WWF incarnations because I could only watch wrestling that was taped for me and never saw any WCW because the family friend that taped all my wresting only taped WWF, so naturally I view their WWF runs with a tint of nostalgia.

That picture called the PG Era 2008-2013. Well that would be Punk & Bryan. CM Punk left in Jan 2014. I put that above current.
Fair enough. All I know is after Eddie & Benoit died 95% of WWE programming was completely unwatchable for me until the rise of Punk. I wouldn't rate '14 and '15 that poorly because of Bryan and The Shield. If Punk was what brought me back in Bryan was what kept me watching.

I thought I did before my chrono-journey. But pre-neck injury Stone Cold is hard to beat. I'll take Stunning Steve over post-neck injury Stone Cold, though.
I was going to toss some shade, but then I remembered that you stopped the gradez after X7 so you missed most of hugging lunatic Austin.

Still... shame! Shame!

Top Bottom