• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

korly

I was going to come in here and write a post about how I don't understand how Okada did all of the jumping/running/etc with that jacked up knee but it looks like we've already covered that.

Carry on.

korly

Oh Bootaaay, since you're up and also since I just remembwred, I wanted to get your take on probably my favorite match: Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy in a ladder match on Raw in 2002.

I'm afraid to go back and watch that again because I LOVED it, and I don't know if it would hold up outside of that time & place.

I never liked anything Kurt did in TNA tbh.

VydGp.gif

Zach

Carlito should've won. Instead it's Cena... until McMahon comes out, sucks the excitement out of Edge's surprise challenge, and Edge beats Cena. But he looks like a weakling in doing so. Cena's all beaten and bloodied from the Chamber, yet kicks out of Edge's crummy spear. So it takes two. But whatever.

klonere

Banned
OTT was unreal last night.

Watched NJNB after the fact, without twitter and enjoyed it a lot. Pleased to see Okada win in the main, not as good as Suzuki's match with Nakajima though.
Which had even more egregious no selling of the leg

miserable

Carlito should've won. Instead it's Cena... until McMahon comes out, sucks the excitement out of Edge's surprise challenge, and Edge beats Cena. But he looks like a weakling in doing so. Cena's all beaten and bloodied from the Chamber, yet kicks out of Edge's crummy spear. So it takes two. But whatever.

It's not a spear, it's a RUNNING HUG! get it right Zachnuts

Yeah, that Okada/Suzuki match was ridiculous. Pretty much as bad as any "CENAWINSLOL" booking ever.

Also LOL at Meltzer saying this match had "more selling than any match he can remember".

I'm torn on the main event. On the one hand, Okada going another 40 minutes just a month after his 45-minute battle with Omega is insane, and he deserves props for that. My problem is that Suzuki did a lot of the work, and Okada didn't change things up any on the occasions he did get offense, just went with his typical array of moves. I like Okada, dude has a world-class look and is definitely the best choice for New Japan's ace, but the storyline looked to be really building up to Suzuki winning as he had just made his return. It didn't even need to be a long reign - Okada wins the New Japan Cup and wins the title back at Sakura Genesis.

That said, the New Japan Cup just became super unpredictable. Okada asking Tiger Mask W to be a part of it got me very excited.

Jojo from VoW who goes to tons of shows from all the Japanese promotions says Shingo's lariat is the hardest out of anyone's right now. He just leans his whole body into them. Shingo da bes

This is why I wish Shingo got out of Dragon Gate more, need to see him vs Sekimoto again. It's been about a decade since their singles match.

Okada losing wold have made sense after how brutal the dome match was.

And how injured his knee was. And with the potential for a screwy Suzuki-gun finish. And the tease of Gedo throwing in the towel. They certainly had a lot of 'outs' to get the title on Suzuki while keeping Okada strong.

Okada losing wold have made sense after how brutal the dome match was.

It seems they are building to the rematch with Kenny

I'd say that's the likeliest scenario, Omega winning the NJ Cup and winning the title at Sakura Genesis. I could see Okada vs. Tiger Mask W being a special attraction match, likely to tie into the anime.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Suzuki not winning his first big match back pretty much predicts the future of Suzuki in NJPW. Enjoy your 6 man tags with the old timers and maybe a NEVER run cause that's the most you're getting

I see so many people praising the "story" of that match and how it elevates both guys, but I just don't see it. To me, the story looked like "Suzuki does literally everything he can to win (attacks Okada at NYD, attacks Okada at the press conference, gets interference from his guys, etc.) and still loses" and "Okada has his knee destroyed but wins anyways".

Like I hope to god Suzuki never beats anyone with that kneebar, because goddamn would that make them look weak.

I see so many people praising the "story" of that match and how it elevates both guys, but I just don't see it. To me, the story looked like "Suzuki does literally everything he can to win (attacks Okada at NYD, attacks Okada at the press conference, gets interference from his guys, etc.) and still loses" and "Okada has his knee destroyed but wins anyways".

Like I hope to god Suzuki never beats anyone with that kneebar, because goddamn would that make them look weak.

The "story" of the match was Okada's resilience in the face of Suzuki's viciousness. Maybe they went too far for you, and that's fine, but that doesn't invalidate the story they were trying to tell. One thing no one seemed to pick up on was the fact that Suzuki went to the well too many times - he used that rolling kneebar 3 times and on the 3rd occasion Okada got wise, dumped him on his head and hit the rainmaker to win. Suzuki's story was that he was one step ahead of Okada throughout the match, except when it counted most. Everything after the sleeper spot was Okada in pure desperation mode, meanwhile Suzuki made a mistake and paid for it.

Also, Suzuki will never beat anyone other than young boys with that kneebar, he'll use his finishers, the Saka Otoshi and Gotch-style piledriver. Neither of which he was able to hit in his 40 minute match with Okada, I might add.

klonere

Banned
Christ people would have burnt the thread down if NOAH was the lead promotion and they'd witnessed the Nakajima/Suzuki match. At least Okada's finisher doesn't involve his leg whereas Nakajima's entire offense is based around fucking kicking and you know what, him firing up after 30minutes of having his leg destroyed by Suzuki ruled.

Mahonay

Banned
Nah, they train to get thrown in their necks and shit.
Of course. Just look at Sasha Banks who has mastered the art of bumping directly onto your neck.

Ibushi is someone who actually seems to land on his neck purposefully a lot of the time. I'm always curious about the state of his neck after watching one of his matches.

The "story" of the match was Okada's resilience in the face of Suzuki's viciousness. Maybe they went too far for you, and that's fine, but that doesn't invalidate the story they were trying to tell.

It does though. When you are "resilient" to that much of a degree, it crosses the line into being ridiculous.

Of course. Just look at Sasha Banks who has mastered the art of bumping directly onto your neck.

Ibushi is someone who actually seems to land on his neck purposefully a lot of the time. I'm always curious about the state of his neck after watching one of his matches.
Lol! Nah in the states, their necks aren't prepared as they are across the seas. There is definitely something in the water.

Top Bottom