• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Foggy

I definitely don't think Okada's selling was a problem. When it happened it was believable and added weight to the moment. The problem was the submissions were so long and so drawn out out that no reasonable amount of selling could justify it. Gedo would've had to run in there, amputate his leg, and shove a table leg in his bloody stump. In Okada's position with that booking, he did what he should have done.

Besides if SOMEHOW the selling matched the limb work, then it'd be absurd that Suzuki could possibly lose to Okada with a rubber leg. If you have an issue with the match, which I certainly do, it's with the booking. Not Okada.

Nekofrog

Banned
Y'all bumming me out on the NJPW event. I can't tell if it was a bad event or a bunch of people new to NJPW and expecting another WK11

there was good stuff on the show, but okada overcoming that kind of leg work was more absurd than the concrete DDT cena took imo. that doesn't mean it wasn't worth watching.

there was good stuff on the show, but okada overcoming that kind of leg work was more absurd than the concrete DDT cena took imo. that doesn't mean it wasn't worth watching.

i guess I was just hoping for more discussion beyond the main. I didn't expect Okada to drop the belt now and to Suzuki

My money's on Boots, he must have a decent Lariat.

Watching ICW's (most recent?) London show with Jimmy Havoc on commentary, very dry, enjoying him.

Boots's entrance is like Sandman's, just replace the can of cheap beer with a bottle of Buckfast. Ain't no choice but to use Buckfast to get you fucked fast when you're deep in the pro graps gif game like Boots.

Did that OTT show land on the FloSlam gimmick?

LIJ.gif

Swag

I definitely don't think Okada's selling was a problem. When it happened it was believable and added weight to the moment. The problem was the submissions were so long and so drawn out out that no reasonable amount of selling could justify it. Gedo would've had to run in there, amputate his leg, and shove a table leg in his bloody stump. In Okada's position with that booking, he did what he should have done.

Besides if SOMEHOW the selling matched the limb work, then it'd be absurd that Suzuki could possibly lose to Okada with a rubber leg. If you have an issue with the match, which I certainly do, it's with the booking. Not Okada.

I fully agree that most of my issues are with the booking which makes Okada more analogous to Reigns than Cena but I absolutely yake issue with how little Okada factored seimg his literally fucked up knee into all of his offense. When he was being worked on his selling was great when he was on offense you'd never know his knee was fucked

Y'all bumming me out on the NJPW event. I can't tell if it was a bad event or a bunch of people new to NJPW and expecting another WK11

This was my first full NJPW show. I'm hooked because the whole show was a freaking blast.

Even if I'll talk forever about the main event I still enjoyed it. I just love deconstructing it.

Heroman

Banned
I fully agree that most of my issues are with the booking which makes Okada more analogous to Reigns than Cena but I absolutely yake issue with how little Okada factored seimg his literally fucked up knee into all of his offense. When he was being worked on his selling was great when he was on offense you'd never know his knee was fucked
It totally impacted his offense, he was running like a half speed.

Foggy

i guess I was just hoping for more discussion beyond the main. I didn't expect Okada to drop the belt now and to Suzuki

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't noteworthy(still worth watching). Jr tag title was ok, tag title was ok for what it was, NEVER title was good, main event was divisive. Also the LIJ match was fun.

I respect that, but I just can't look past the catch 22. Sell it properly and Suzuki looks like a geek for not beating a clearly hobbled Okada who can't do 80% of his moves properly. Handle it this way where he conveniently ignores selling to make the finish believable, then Suzuki looks like a geek for appearing literally incapable of submitting Okada. Both are bad options and while a happier medium exists, I think Okada is closer to that medium than people are giving him credit for.

It totally impacted his offense, he was running like a half speed.

I impacted zero of his moves. He no sold the knee everytime he did a lift, a dropkick, a literal move where he dropped Suzuki's head hard on his fucked up knee and acted like nothing happened.

A knee that badly fucked should allow you to deadlift with ease, throw dropkicks with ease.

Okada's offense should have been strikes with the upper body and non lifting drops and shit... or lifting moves should have been extremely difficult and 90% in effective. There was not once where he had trouble lifting... not once.

The knee should have factored in to the finish and I don't just mean he couldn't pin on the first Two Rainmakers. Bret/Diesel is the perfect template for a injured wrestler gets the win finish.
I respect that, but I just can't look past the catch 22. Sell it properly and Suzuki looks like a geek for not beating a clearly hobbled Okada who can't do 80% of his moves properly. Handle it this way where he conveniently ignores selling to make the finish believable, then Suzuki looks like a geek for appearing literally incapable of submitting Okada. Both are bad options and while a happier medium exists, I think Okada is closer to that medium than people are giving him credit for.

I disagree sell it properly and it looks like Okada was a guy who wouldn't quit and just got the lucky ko.

Instead it was Okada is the guy who just won't quit because he's fucking superman.

That said given Okada was going over. I'd have just done away entirely with the before the show attack and either had the knee injury happen in the match or have a completely different match

Heroman

Banned
I impacted zero of his moves. He no sold the knee everytime he did a lift, a dropkick, a literal move where he dropped Suzuki's head hard on his fucked up knee and acted like nothing happened.

A knee that badly fucked should allow you to deadlift with ease, throw dropkicks with ease.

Okada's offense should have been strikes with the upper body and non lifting drops and shit... or lifting moves should have been extremely difficult and 90% in effective. There was not once where he had trouble lifting... not once.

The knee should have factored in to the finish and I don't just mean he couldn't pin on the first Two Rainmakers. Bret/Diesel is the perfect template for a injured wrestler gets the win finish.
Agree to disagree, caise I thought did enough to sell the knee, the moment where Suzuki did the Irish whip and Okada fell.down or the moment where he jumps over Suzuki and dude knee was fantastic . Could he have done more sure, you can say that about any match. I have never ever seen anyone sell that much and that good.

Agree to disagree, caise I thought did enough to sell the knee, the moment where Suzuki did the Irish whip and Okada fell.down was fantastic. Could he have done more sure, you can say that about any match. I have never ever seen anyone sell that much and that good.

Yeah but that's a classic knee spot and it happened exactly once. I've seen that spot literally in most matches where an injured leg is in play.

I'm just saying he sold it exactly zero times when, imo, it is most important, when you're on offense. It's easy to sell when you're taking a beating, and that irish whip was part of the beating not Okada's offense. It's just as, if not more, important to sell when you're on offense and there was zero of that. Like his offense was super leg based (lifting is super leg based) and there was no sign of his fucked up knee in those offensive spots except the in retrospect meaningless kip up.

Yeah but it isn't really main stream yet, it's why most of it tastes like shit
Well I'll have you know, Cali's bbq is basically pulled pork compared to the Carolina's bbq. They do the pork and put bbq sauce on it. I don't know how they eat that shit. I've never had pulled pork as far as I can remember. But spending most of my time in the south, I'm sure I've had it.

The area where you're located, do you all get fresh catch food a lot?

somedevil

WWE is going to update its hidden gem collection tommorrow with these matches:

Dallas Wrestling 04/29/1952 – A Killer Challenge

Killer Kowalski is faced with some deadly double duty when he takes on Mr. Moto and Duke Keomuka in a Handicap Match in the famous Dallas Sportatorium.

Dallas Wrestling 11/08/1966 – Legends of Texas Rasslin’

In this rarely seen battle, Joe Blanchard teams with Cowboy Bob Ellis and Duke Keomuka to face Bob Geigel, Gary Hart, and Waldo Von Erich in the famous Dallas Sportatorium.

WWWF 07/29/1970 – Bruno Battles a Caged Animal

Within the hallowed grounds of Madison Square Garden, Bruno Sammartino takes on George ‘The Animal’ Steele in a Steel Cage Match.

Championship Wrestling from Florida 06/15/1972 – A Moving Demonstration

Strengthen your knowledge of wrestling maneuvers demonstrated by the likes of Danny Hodge, Harley Race, and other legends of the ring.

Mid-South Wrestling 11/27/1975 – The Cowboy and a Texas Bronco

Two western legends go head-to-head when ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts defends the North American Championship against Terry Funk.

Stampede Wrestling 08/17/1979 – Inoki Faces The Lariat

The legendary Antonio Inoki travels North of the Border to Stampede Wrestling to take on Stan ‘The Lariat’ Hansen.

NWA Mid-Atlantic 11/22/1979 – Battle of The Nature Boys

Witness a true wrestling rarity with the only known footage of ‘The Nature Boy’ Buddy Rogers taking on ‘The Nature Boy’ Ric Flair.

NWA Big Time Wrestling 06/07/1981 – Big Cat vs Modern Day Warrior

In this classic confrontation, ‘The Big Cat’ Ernie Ladd goes one-on-one with ‘The Modern Day Warrior’ Kerry Von Erich.

Mid-South Wrestling 09/01/1983 – The Size of a Giant

Andre the Giant makes his way to Mid-South Wrestling, Bill Watts shows the fans the extraordinary size of ‘The Eighth Wonder of the World’.

Global Wrestling Federation 01/06/1992 – Cruiserweight Pioneers

Witness The Lighting Kid defend the GWF Light Heavyweight Championship against Jerry Lynn in an incredible 2-Out-of-3 Falls Match.

Stu Hart 50th Anniversary Show 12/15/1995 – The Funks Make Bad Company

The Funks look to bring some Texas Justice to Stampede Wrestling’s Showdown at the Corral in a battle against Brian Pillman and Bruce Hart.

WCW 01/27/1999 – Festival De Lucha

Konnan, Rey Mysterio, Hector Garza, and Silver King face a team led by Chris Jericho in a bout from WCW’s unaired pilot ‘Festival de Lucha’.

Ultimate Pro Wrestling 04/25/2001 – An Ultimate Encounter

Edge and Christian journey to Ultimate Pro Wrestling to take on the evolutionary duo known as Nova and Frankie Kazarian.

OVW 07/28/2001 – The Beast Meets Leviathan

Prior to Batista’s evolution into The Animal, Leviathan clashes with Brock Lesnar in this memorable battle from Ohio Valley Wrestling.

FCW 02/05/2012 – Gold Before Justice

Long before fighting for justice, the future members of The Shield battled each other for a shot at gold in this Triple Threat Match.

The ric flair vs buddy rogers is only 5 minutes but the only footage so far in existence of them wrestling each other.

Hasney

Ultimate Pro Wrestling 04/25/2001 – An Ultimate Encounter

Edge and Christian journey to Ultimate Pro Wrestling to take on the evolutionary duo known as Nova and Frankie Kazarian.

Oh shit, can't wait for this.

Festival de Lucha sounds fun too.

Top Bottom