• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Uh, what else. Fin Balor should obviously beat Adrian Neville because Adrian Neville is fucking terrible.

There was someone in here earlier claiming Neville's a superior wrestler to Bryan, which just blew my mind that anyone could think that. I'm a fan of Adrian's ability but don't see him as a singles guy and the only real highlights of his title reign came from working with Sami, who did a great job of forcing Neville to change up his match-structure. Incidentally, that's also why Sami's miles better than anyone else Neville faced for the title, or Neville himself.

Friend Bootaaay (and any others who would like to answer), what do you think about wrestlers dipping into their opponent's warcrate while facing them?

dream

I'm actually fascinated by the way Fin Balor has an aura of someone who is not only too big, too talented, and too compelling for NXT, but he seems like he's too good for WWE too. I look forward to seeing how WWE drops the ball on him.

Friend Bootaaay (and any others who would like to answer), what do you think about wrestlers dipping into their opponent's warcrate while facing them?

I think you have to be real careful about it. It used to be done more in the attitude era, although only Rock and Austin really did it sparingly.

I like it when it's an insult, which you often see in Japanese wrestling - Shibata hitting a slingblade on Tanahashi just to be a dick and provoke a reaction, for instance, or Tanahashi sending a message to AJ Styles by putting away one of his team mates with the Styles Clash. Also, it allows the guy to show some good fire when, in spite of the punishment he's taken, he kicks out at one because he can't abide the insult of being hit with his own move.

When it's a finisher trade sequence, as you occasionally see in WWE PPV matches, then I couldn't care less. "Oh, you hit me with my finisher and I'll kick out, then I'll hit you with your finisher and you kick out, then we'll hit our own finishers on each other two, maybe three times before we finally end this shit". Very rarely will a match have the grandeur behind it to warrant such treatment. Rock/Austin at Mania comes to mind, but not many others.

Kornflayx

I always found it entertaining when Rock used the Angle Slam or the Stunner. But it can only be used on special occasions of course.

Alucard

Banned
Also, dropping my name into the "hell no" hat for whether Neville is a better wrestler than Daniel Bryan. And I really like Neville.

I think you have to be real careful about it. It used to be done more in the attitude era, although only Rock and Austin really did it sparingly.

I like it when it's an insult, which you often see in Japanese wrestling - Shibata hitting a slingblade on Tanahashi just to be a dick and provoke a reaction, for instance, or Tanahashi sending a message to AJ Styles by putting away one of his team mates with the Styles Clash. Also, it allows the guy to show some good fire when, in spite of the punishment he's taken, he kicks out at one because he can't abide the insult of being hit with his own move.

When it's a finisher trade sequence, as you occasionally see in WWE PPV matches, then I couldn't care less. "Oh, you hit me with my finisher and I'll kick out, then I'll hit you with your finisher and you kick out, then we'll hit our own finishers on each other two, maybe three times before we finally end this shit". Very rarely will a match have the grandeur behind it to warrant such treatment. Rock/Austin at Mania comes to mind, but not many others.

I always found it entertaining when Rock used the Angle Slam or the Stunner. But it can only be used on special occasions of course.

What about the Triple Threat between Angle, Rock, and Undertaker? TBH that was the first match that came to mind when I thought of the question.

dream

I don't know if the Lucha Dragons are any good or not. I'm sure they're a fine, El Matadors-level tag team. But dear god is their theme song some repugnant pandering bullshit.

Alucard

Banned

The way WWE has been abusing this is bordering on ridiculous, but I think it's the kicking out of each other's finishers that really makes WWE matches boring and predictable.

I'm actually fascinated by the way Fin Balor has an aura of someone who is not only too big, too talented, and too compelling for NXT, but he seems like he's too good for WWE too. I look forward to seeing how WWE drops the ball on him.

I don't see it. His face after a match or anytime he makes an expression of intensity has a look akin to that of a new-born baby's, covered in afterbirth.

Am I alone in thinking this?

He just has this disgusting, gross look. Also with Fin Balor, I think low-rise trunks are now officially dead and wrestlers should revert back to their trunks hitting just below the navel. Pick up your damn trunks, Balor, I don't want to see that sh*t.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey, Sunny Mac! I am calling you out, brother!

To thank you for recommending Life Is Strange. Thouroughly enjoyed the first episode.

This is a great poster;

nKKXNtm.jpg

I like how the promoter's made a clear distinction between "guys I'm paying way too much for" and "guys I'm paying in hotdogs".

What about the Triple Threat between Angle, Rock, and Undertaker? TBH that was the first match that came to mind when I thought of the question.

I don't think I've ever actually seen that match (I quit watching WWE in 2002), worth a watch on the Network?

I don't know if the Lucha Dragons are any good or not. I'm sure they're a fine, El Matadors-level tag team. But dear god is their theme song some repugnant pandering bullshit.

Kalisto's the next Rey if they manage him right, but he's going nowhere attached to Sin Hunico.

Alucard

Banned
I don't see it. His face after a match or anytime he makes an expression of intensity has a look akin to that of a new-born baby's, covered in afterbirth.

Am I alone in thinking this?

He just has this disgusting, gross look. Also with Fin Balor, I think low-rise trunks are now officially dead and wrestlers should revert back to their trunks hitting just below the navel. Pick up your damn trunks, Balor, I don't want to see that sh*t.

You're alone on this one, friend bean. Balor is pretty rad, but I do wonder how he'll come across on the larger WWE stage.

Kornflayx

It was a really good match, but not important enough to warrant that kind of finisher stealing. I thought it was more fitting when Brock hit the Rock Bottom at SummerSlam.

Agree 100%

I wish more people had rare finishers that they only pull out once a blue moon. Hell I wish wrestling in general had less of a reliance on finisher moves.

Edit: One of the reasons I liked Stardust so much in the beginning was that almost every week he was using different moves to end a match.

dream

I'm also starting to believe, Bootaaay, that it's not a matter of being overshadowed by Fin Balor. Kenta just never had a chance in WWE. It's just a very bad fit for both parties, and I expect maybe one or two attempts at repackaging, leading to Kenta ultimately being released by Summerslam.

He has aura, bean breath. You can't teach aura. Fin Balor is WWE's version of Mark Wahlberg.

Also, I don't like his poses.

There seems to be this Spider-Man/ninja type of pose that I suppose is quite popular with indie wrestlers. I base this solely on the animated gifs I've seen posted here, I don't watch indie wrestling.

If you've ever seen that gif of Kaval (I forget his other name) KO-ing some guy with a spinning kick, then afterwards he crouches down, spreads his arms out to his sides, and swings his head from side to side like a velociraptor from Jurassic Park.

It's just really juvenile and dumb looking.

Well, it seems like Balor does this pose about 10 times throughout his ring entrance. Also, Neville seemingly does it after every big spot move he hits.

It's just really off-putting to me.

dream

I agree with you on the pose, bean breath, and it's even more repugnant because the inbreds all mimic it every time Balor does it (which, as you astutely pointed out, is about 10 times per minute). I keep hoping that one of the inbreds will hit another in the face while doing the pose, causing a chain reaction where everyone falls, hits their heads, and ambulances are called en mass, but "Full Sail University" is a for-profit university that does not offer a program in medicine, forcing the EMTs to take even longer to get the inbreds to a hospital.

Top Bottom