• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Russo's thoughts on the NXT main event;

en9hcqA.png

I'm sure a bunch will agree with the first point, but the second...lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

LOL. It'll get people talking.

I really wish there was a week-to-week WWE Continuity podcast where they try to make sense of things from a storyline only perspective, rooted in the real world rules.

Kacho

Gold Member
I can't think of one AJ Lee match that stood out. She's always come across as an average wrestler who got lucky with her crazy girlfriend gimmick. Once that was over she slowly faded into irrelevancy. I remember being somewhat excited for the AJ/Paige rivalry and it just came and went without a single noteworthy thing about it.

Seeing so many Wrasslegaffers down on Nintendo brings a tear to my eye. Today is a great day. Please don't poopoo on it. :(

Cagey

Banned
I can't think of one AJ Lee match that stood out. She's always come across as an average wrestler who got lucky with her crazy girlfriend gimmick. Once that was over she slowly faded into irrelevancy. I remember being somewhat excited for the AJ/Paige rivalry and it just came and went without a single noteworthy thing about it.

Seeing so many Wrasslegaffers down on Nintendo brings a tear to my eye. Today is a great day. Please don't poopoo on it. :(

She lucked out with the gimmick, though she did very well speaking for extended periods when most other men and women alike couldn't have held their own, and she had The Look (TM) which guaranteed a segment of the audience would be behind her.

Aiii

So not worth it
Russo has proven he doesn't know shit about booking a wrestling show.

I still can't believe there are people out there actually paying the guy to hear his opinions on booking.

Kacho

Gold Member
She lucked out with the gimmick, though she did very well speaking for extended periods when most other men and women alike couldn't have held their own, and she had The Look (TM) which guaranteed a segment of the audience would be behind her.

She does deserve credit for improving her mic skills incredibly fast. She was a little shaky when she became RAW GM but soon after became a pro.

Scottify

You can add me too, on Steam if you like. I don't have PSN or Xbox Live or anything.

Steam name: EclecticFinn or Scottify, I forget which. I think Scottify is my display name

Raw64life

AJ is as overrated as it gets. She got popular by spending the better part of 2 years being put into romance angles with every main eventer on the roster. Her finisher makes it impossible for you to suspend disbelief because it so blatantly involves the opponent doing all the work and then inexplicably not just falling backwards. Her shining wizard sucks. Her voice is painful to listen to. Her matches are every bit as uneventful as any Bella match.

Sephzilla

The reason AJ is so popular is because she at least tries to put on wrestling matches and can hold her own on a microphone. If Natalya didn't have the charisma and enthusiasm of a piece of cardboard she'd be ruling that division.

jmdajr

AJ is as overrated as it gets. She got popular by spending the better part of 2 years being put into romance angles with every main eventer on the roster. Her finisher makes it impossible for you to suspend disbelief because it so blatantly involves the opponent doing all the work and then inexplicably not just falling backwards. Her shining wizard sucks. Her voice is painful to listen to. Her matches are every bit as uneventful as any Bella match.
She's an everyday cool girl that's into videogames and stuff.

Cagey

Banned
The reason AJ is so popular is because she at least tries to put on wrestling matches and can hold her own on a microphone. If Natalya didn't have the charisma and enthusiasm of a piece of cardboard she'd be ruling that division.

If AJ looked like Natalya or Naomi, she'd never have gotten over.

Her nerdqueen girl next door persona is what gave her the pre-breakthrough following and smark fan support.

EDIT: and that's not a bad thing; look matters.

Scottify

Part of the problem, as I see it, with the Women's division is that they're just not given any real time to shine. The WWE obviously sees them as the lowest of low-tier and therefore won't give them good stories and matches. Hopefully NXT changes that but I'm not too hopeful.

imBask

Banned
why do people use :lol ?

from what I can understand it used to be an emoticon, but it's gone so why do people keep using it, it's annoying

Sephzilla

There are people actually defending Peter Molyneux on gaming side. Unbelievable.

If AJ looked like Natalya or Naomi, she'd never have gotten over.

Her nerdqueen girl next door persona is what gave her the pre-breakthrough following and smark fan support.

EDIT: and that's not a bad thing; look matters.

I don't even think Natalya is bad looking, at all. It's just that she's boring as fuck, even by Hart family standards. When she talks she sounds like a 3rd grade teacher. She doesn't do anything during her intro to get pumped up or get the crowd going, she just walks down to the ring and smiles, and she even makes wins boring. Considering her family ties, she should be getting the Diva equivalent to a Roman Reigns push.

Kacho

Gold Member
Part of the problem, as I see it, with the Women's division is that they're just not given any real time to shine. The WWE obviously sees them as the lowest of low-tier and therefore won't give them good stories and matches. Hopefully NXT changes that but I'm not too hopeful.

Which divas on the main roster are capable of putting on great matches though? Maybe Paige, but I can't think of another diva that she could work with that would turn into anything worthwhile.

Ithil

en9hcqA.png

He's not thinking long term on the first point. The finish is new to the audience and obviously isn't going to get over the first time. But next time, it will, because now they know ref stoppage is a thing, and that titles change hand with it.

The second point is just dumb.

Aiii

So not worth it
There are people actually defending Peter Molyneux on gaming side. Unbelievable.

For once, a member of the gaming press actually acts like a journalist instead of an extension of a publishers PR department and half the thread is complaining about how the got was being too hard for poor Moleyneux. It's weird.

Ithil

Which divas on the main roster are capable of putting on great matches though? Maybe Paige, but I can't think of another diva that she could work with that would turn into anything worthwhile.

Paige, Nattie, sometimes AJ.....yeah. Some of them can do ok in their 2-3 minute matches, but you put an Alicia Fox or a Bella in that NXT fatal four way, or the previous Takeover singles matches and they'd be lost.

Sephzilla

For once, a member of the gaming press actually acts like a journalist instead of an extension of a publishers PR department and half the thread is complaining about how the got was being too hard for poor Moleyneux. It's weird.

I actually think the RPS guy was a tad too harsh. But Molyneux absolutely deserved it because he's been spouting nothing but snake oil shit for almost too decades and riding entirely from the glories of games that are 20+ years old now. There's an entire generation of younger gamers who know nothing of his actually-good games and only know him for his shitty ones.

Scottify

That's a fair question. Maybe Alicia Fox? She seems to be good in the ring and has lots of personality. Also I think Emma could too, if not for her little transgression.

Kacho

Gold Member
I think Naomi's just as good as Paige. Cena Bella isn't that far behind either.

I guess I could maybe see Naomi. Thikki though? I just don't get the hype with her. I mean, she has improved in the ring a little but she still can't put on an interesting match to save her life. Her idea of connecting with the crowd seems to be raising her championship belt repeatedly every time she goes out.

He's not thinking long term on the first point. The finish is new to the audience and obviously isn't going to get over the first time. But next time, it will, because now they know ref stoppage is a thing, and that titles change hand with it.

The second point is just dumb.

I think UFC has been a thing long enough that people understand a referee stoppage.

Cagey

Banned
I don't even think Natalya is bad looking, at all. It's just that she's boring as fuck, even by Hart family standards. When she talks she sounds like a 3rd grade teacher. She doesn't do anything during her intro to get pumped up or get the crowd going, she just walks down to the ring and smiles, and she even makes wins boring. Considering her family ties, she should be getting the Diva equivalent to a Roman Reigns push.

It's not Natalya is ugly. Naomi is fine as a MFer. AJ has a girl-next-door appearance, she dresses like a Hot Topic gamergurl nerdqueen chick, and her looking Asian helps a lot for this package (I know she isn't). The whole combo creates a look for AJ that gave her a guaranteed fan base: us (guilty as charged).

When she shows up to Raw dressed like a Mortal Kombat character, her on twitter talking about Metal Gear Solid or w/e? Only helps.

AJ wouldn't have had the initial popularity or the building popularity if she was a generic looking diva with a generic background. However you can build a fan base, it matters that you do.

jmdajr

Listening to Shawn and Jericho on Talk is Jericho chat about their feud.

One of their matches ended in stoppage and they REALLY has to fight to get that finish approved.

It's an acceptable finish.

I guess I could maybe see Naomi. Thikki though? I just don't get the hype with her. I mean, she has improved in the ring a little but she still can't put on an interesting match to save her life. Her idea of connecting with the crowd seems to be raising her championship belt repeatedly every time she goes out.
I'm not familiar with her work prior to WWE (and I don't mean basement videos) but to me Paige doesn't seem worth the hype. I look at her similar to a female Roman Reigns except she doesn't get as much backlash, she just has a great look and that's about it.

MC Safety

Game fans get angry with Molyneux for all the wrong reasons. He talks, they write it down in their notebooks for later, sharpening their knives for when -- surprise! -- game development occurs exactly as game development does.

Sephzilla

I'm not familiar with her work prior to WWE (and I don't mean basement videos) but to me Paige doesn't seem worth the hype. I look at her similar to a female Roman Reigns except she doesn't get as much backlash, she just has a great look and that's about it.

Getting promoted to Raw was the worst thing that happened to her. She was entertaining as fuck when she was in NXT. She's the Diva's Big-E Langston.

Game fans get angry with Molyneux for all the wrong reasons. He talks, they write it down in their notebooks for later, sharpening their knives for when -- surprise! -- game development occurs exactly as game development does.

Except Molyneux has been doing this shit for 20 years and perpetuates the cycle himself by shitting on his previous game to hype up his new game.

Kacho

Gold Member

I don't think Paige has delivered at all on the main roster. I'm just going off of what I've heard about her here and other places online. I guess I just believe that given the right person to work with she could put on a stellar match. Like, out of all of the divas who are currently on the main roster, I would be most interested in seeing a match between Paige and Charlotte/Banks than anyone else.

I just can't catch a break today. First my MH4 N3DS XL order gets canceled and now I missed the 50% deal on the Playstation TV. Dammit!

scabro

its more that this time he went through kickstarter to not deliver his promises.

so it probably pisses people off alot more than if he had just under delivered another game again.

and he still ended up with a publisher post kickstarter fund anyway, and fucked it all up.

you can make the point that people should be wise to kickstarter shennanigans by now, but that doesn't excuse molyneux.

in the words of the eternal matt serra

TzCBaNM.png

Ithil

I think UFC has been a thing long enough that people understand a referee stoppage.

Clearly not, because most of that NXT crowd didn't know it was a ref stoppage, they thought it was a DQ, or if they didn't, they didn't know the title changed hands until the ref handed Owens the belt. But they know now, in future.

Emma, Paige and Summer Rae were all mutilated when they got promoted to the main roster. Same thing for Big E and Woods.

And won't change till Vince retires so HHH can get rid of the problems involved at upper levels.

MC Safety

Except Molyneux has been doing this shit for 20 years and perpetuates the cycle himself by shitting on his previous game to hype up his new game.

That doesn't seem like Molyneux. He's critical, to be sure, but I've never heard of him taking potshots on his previous titles.

Top Bottom