• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Verendus

Banned
There we go
You were supposed to be my friend!

ixIqZye.gif

Ideally, Brock will win but then Triple H throws the entire fucking roster at him (saying whomever pin him is champion) until he is so worn out that Rollins can hit Piece of Mind and cash it in. WrestleMania should end with bodies everywhere and Seth Rollins being carried by J&J on their shoulders with the title around his neck, confetti falling from the skies. Then Reigns can chase that to SummerSlam and Bryan can be "Way over guy gets NXT talent over when they hit the main roster" guy.

Lesnar NEVER SHOWS UP AGAIN. No explanation. No quitting. Lesnar just never shows up again and Heyman moves on.
I like this but my version would be
Brock wins title, walks out of WWE to accept new challengers at UFC, TNA or any other company ala RYU. Just for shits and giggles

And second part Brock should go in the Hall next year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
quiet storm is better than honma.

those young lions in the opening ajpw match i watched are better than honma.

Rob Conway also, better than Honma

quiet storm is better than honma.

those young lions in the opening ajpw match i watched are better than honma.

Rob Conway also, better than Honma

I can understand you not liking the guy, but all three of these statements are ridiculous. Fucking Conway, c'mon. Tenzan circa-2015 dragged him to the best match of his career, whereas Honma won last year's G1 MVP award.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can understand you not liking the guy, but all three of these statements are ridiculous. Fucking Conway, c'mon. Tenzan circa-2015 dragged him to the best match of his career, whereas Honma won last year's G1 MVP award.

I don't see how you think Honma is any better than Quiet Storm. Aside from the fact that he won a G1 Award for the fans cheering on his continued attempts to get brain damage from doing the same spot

Conway might have been too far. Though I don't know. I get the same feelings from most Conway matches that I do from Honma. I bet Ibushi could carry Conway through a match of the same quality of the match with Honma. The only difference would be that the crowd like cheering on the future vegetable.

And this isn't some 'everyone likes him, i hate him' thing. I watched his match with Funaki against Laughter7 and he dragged the whole thing down. He made a match that felt like a big deal no longer feel like one. I dreaded every time Funaki tagged him in and even in that match, he served the glorified stuntman role. Get kicked by Shibata, ok tag Funaki back in. And then suddenly he's in NJPW.

I don't see how you think Honma is any better than Quiet Storm.

Physical charisma, Honma has it in spades.

Aside from the fact that he won a G1 Award for the fans cheering on his continued attempts to get brain damage from doing the same spot

I think it's disingenuous to suggest the fans are only cheering for the kokeshi when he's put on numerous exciting, well regarded matches that the kokeshi attempts are only a part of. He gets great reactions for everything else he does in his matches, lets not ignore that, whether he's showing off his surprising strength, standing up to a much tougher opponent or trading strikes, the crowd are into it, they buy into his near-falls and they chant for him over almost everyone on the roster.

And this isn't some 'everyone likes him, i hate him' thing. I watched his match with Funaki against Laughter7 and he dragged the whole thing down. He made a match that felt like a big deal no longer feel like one. I dreaded every time Funaki tagged him in and even in that match, he served the glorified stuntman role. Get kicked by Shibata, ok tag Funaki back in. And then suddenly he's in NJPW.

Dude, I'm pretty sure that was Kono, who is indeed shitty. Honma was only ever gone from New Japan because of those alleged yakuza connections.

RP912

Banned
So I was listening to AJ Styles TNA theme where he was Crow AJ and it made me realize that TNA really dropped the fucking ball on that gimmick. It's like every time they do something cool, they pull back at the very last second. It's ridiculous.

JavyOO7

That WK9 main... Tanahashi spammed his finisher like no tomorrow. I guess he put over that Okada is super stronk so he had to perform a half of dozen frog splashes to put him away?

That Sin Cara/Cesaro match from Main Event is pretty damn good. Cesaro puts the rest of the roster to shame when it comes to providing a base for high flyers.

That WK9 main... Tanahashi spammed his finisher like no tomorrow. I guess he put over that Okada is super stronk so he had to perform a half of dozen frog splashes to put him away?

Yeah, that was done to protect Okada, as so much of the match had been about Tanahashi having Okada scouted, repeatedly stopping him in his tracks and just generally frustrating him to show that he isn't yet 'the ace of New Japan' as he thought. The limited move-set is one of Tanahashi's bigger weaknesses. He has a bunch of moves at his disposal, but only the High Fly Flow is really over as a finisher these days.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You might be right about the Kono thing then I must have watched a Honma match immediately afterwards or something because I vividly recall a diving headbutt to the outside.

But my point still stands that I don't think he's anything special, and I don't get why he's so cheered except for the fact that he's been with the promotion for a while. Which is a lame reason to cheer someone. Maybe I don't see the quality of his matches as anything special because I'm used to seeing good matches in NJPW and I don't think having a good match with any of the 'main' NJPW guys is much of a feat. I haven't seen him have an amazing match with like Karl Anderson or Makabe.

For example, Makabe/Ishii was my third favorite match of WK9, but I don't think Makabe is a very good wrestler. Sometimes it's a combination of right people, right place, right time and lots of external factors. I'm saying that the crowd is the only good thing about Honma to me.
That Sin Cara/Cesaro match from Main Event is pretty damn good. Cesaro puts the rest of the roster to shame when it comes to providing a base for high flyers.

That's because they haven't let any work Bork yet.

God, Bork throwing around flippy dudes....can't imagine how awesome that would be.

But my point still stands that I don't think he's anything special, and I don't get why he's so cheered except for the fact that he's been with the promotion for a while. Which is a lame reason to cheer someone.

I think it's a combination of factors; his aforementioned physical charisma (including his selling, which he gets good sympy for and isn't at all the stoic type in spite of often competing in more hard-hitting matches), the ridiculousness of the kokeshi (yet the fans buy it as a legitimate finisher if he actually connects with the top-rope version), his crushed vocal chords and just the fact that he's been a perennial jobber ever since leaving BJW. Yeah, he's a figure of fun for the audience, but everything about him conspires to make him one of the best underdogs in wrestling.

I get your point about him not having great matches outside of the top-tier New Japan talent and can't really argue it, but I'm not suggesting he's on those guys level - he's a solid, dependable undercard guy who can always be relied upon to get a reaction.

y'know as much fun as every brock appearance generally is, i really do wish he had integrated a fourth move into his repetoire.

he seriously only does germans and vertical suplexes, and F5s. he can get a lot of mileage out of punches and kicks but a power bomb or something every once in a while wouldn't have gone a miss.

not for the summerslam match - that match was about german suplexes, but for his appearances henceforth.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Speaking of selling, have you noticed Kenou's? I never noticed it in M-Pro, but it's something I immediately picked up on in his NOAH matches. He's very good at it. So is Hayato, actually. Not exactly the thing I expected to be taught well in Michinoku Pro.
b7RKlbx.gif

Kenou's attitude and work in general has been pretty great since joining NOAH - it's strange, because I never thought much of him in M-Pro, but I guess the change of scenery has helped him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ohara has been a huge boon for him. I thought Hayato should have gotten signed by NOAH instead of Kenou when it happened(and I still kind of do) but his team up with Ohara has worked out tremendously as they complement one another very well. Ohara has that 'physical charisma in spades' you were talking about and it makes Kenou more likeable instead of 'stern kicky young guy' that he was in M-Pro.

It's hard to believe people pay money for the taped TNA PPVs. Do they sell the rights internationally as a TV show or is there something else I'm missing that make these profitable? They all look considerably worse than episodes of impact.

Time to get back into the Attitude era. Sid has ended Bret Hart's one day reign, and is now on the road to WM to face Taker for the title. What will be the fallout between Bret and Steve Austin. Find out tonight on MONDAY NIGHT RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

The John Cena Rivalries documentary on The Network is pretty funny. It's all the feuds John Cena thinks helped him become who he is today. The vast majority of them the fans are booing him haha

It's hard to believe people pay money for the taped TNA PPVs. Do they sell the rights internationally as a TV show or is there something else I'm missing that make these profitable? They all look considerably worse than episodes of impact.

TNA is (or was) pretty popular in the UK as it was available on one of the lesser channels on Sky, so for fair few it was the only wrestling they could see. Before that, back in the weekly PPV days, TNA was available for free on The Wrestling Channel too, so it has a decent following. Not sure of Challenge (which is primarily a Quiz Show Channel) pays for the PPVs or not, or if it's bundled in as part of the TNA's International TV Package).

Carnby

Time to get back into the Attitude era. Sid has ended Bret Hart's one day reign, and is now on the road to WM to face Taker for the title. What will be the fallout between Bret and Steve Austin. Find out tonight on MONDAY NIGHT RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

The road To one of the worst WrestleManias ever. Bret v Stone Cold saved the show from being as bad as WM 27.

Alucard

Banned

I don't get it either. I never read anything on wrestling boards or sites about the One Night Only deals. Who's watching these things?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Masada really blows. I feel for Kasai in their matches because Kasai will take like 50 big spots where as cunty Masada is like 'eh i took 2 good enough'

Top Bottom