• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vylash

1st_reign_as_tna_world_tag_team_champion_r-truth.jpg

WrassleGaf, I'm going to be honest with you here. I've been purveying other wrestling message boards recently to find some matches, some news, some older stuff that's hard to find and things like that. And I've come to a conclusion that hurts me to say. Other than SquaredCircle(which is the worst) and a couple of those boards that I know I won't touch, every other community I checked has much more variety of wrestling promotion discussion.

More European, Lucha Libre, Japanese, territory stuff. I'd like to see more of it and I'd like to see more than two people discussing it. Obviously no one should feel obliged to do anything, but it's really hard to see when we have intelligent people who only want to watch one or two products. I really enjoyed when Lambda posted wrestlers doing MMA stuff, for instance. I don't like a lot of European indy stuff, but I appreciate that people like to talk about it from time to time. I wish there was more lucha libre discussion even if it's not my kind of thing.

I just don't think our community is big enough to have that variety or have more than 2 people talk about it. For example, you bring up Lucha Libre, I believe it is tm24 that has a solid understanding of it but other than that, that is it. I don't partake in it because I don't know enough of it. And I try to watch it when I can, but there are times where I would be a detriment as opposed to being helpful.

I don't always participate but I always try to watch or read what is posted. I love the joshi matches or old puroresu matches that you post or the ones that Bootaaay put up. Learning about the stuff that I didn't get a chance to watch or know about is fun to me. I will try to participate more but I just don't want to come off as a jackass when it comes to stuff that I don't really know.

Continued thoughts on Survivor Series 02. Jamie Noble's gimmick was that he was a redneck. Dumb. His match with Kidman was good though. Victoria and Trish had a Hardcore match for the Women's title. Storyline was kinda dumb, but at least the match was treated kind of seriously and they gave them time.

As for the talk about expanding our horizons, I watch a ton of stuff. WWE, NJPW, some Dragon Gate, SHINE, ROH on occasion. I don't watch much Lucha Underground but I can appreciate it. I'd love for more people to watch different stuff, like SHINE for example. But sometimes the community comes off so insular that if I were to make a post about why it's awesome and talk about the matches or characters, it would just get lost in the shuffle of gimmicks and jokes. The effort it would take to put together a post vastly outweighs the number of people that would give it the time of day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just don't think our community is big enough to have that variety or have more than 2 people talk about it. For example, you bring up Lucha Libre, I believe it is tm24 that has a solid understanding of it but other than that, that is it. I don't partake in it because I don't know enough of it. And I try to watch it when I can, but there are times where I would be a detriment as opposed to being helpful.

I don't always participate but I always try to watch or read what is posted. I love the joshi matches or old puroresu matches that you post or the ones that Bootaaay put up. Learning about the stuff that I didn't get a chance to watch or know about is fun to me. I will try to participate more but I just don't want to come off as a jackass when it comes to stuff that I don't really know.

I'd just like to see more people give more things a chance. Some discussion that lasts longer than 2 seconds about anything other than modern day WWE or NXT. Lucha Underground and NJPW are just barely there but even that compared to said WWE products. Thank god for the NJPW OTs because sometimes I feel like it's the only place we can really discuss things outside of the 2015 WWE bubble. I don't care if people know about it, don't know about it, or want to know more about it. Either way, ideally someone is going to learn something.

Post about Shawn Michaels in Baywatch, post about Billy Gunn on Sabrina the Teenage Witch, post about SHIMMER, post about Mexican Womens Wrestling(if you can, that shit's near impossible to find), post about WWWF or Prime Time Wrestling. I loved, loved looking up Prime Time Wrestling stuff and discovering new things. Going out and trying to find something new. I always knew about it but never really got to dig into it because it was before my time rather than 'here is what the WWE is serving me this week.' If the Network posts a bunch of old nitros, just mention if something cool happened on it or if you remembered an old favorite you forgot about. I know we have the Network thread and you can put more thoughts there, but I'd like to hear a brief summary of it because the Network thread is less active.

I stumbled on that episode of Portland Wrestling completely at random. Other than Davairi, I didn't recognize a single person on there.
rTrIAc9.gif

I LOVED it. I didn't love the wrestling. I loved seeing something completely off my radar. I love to find and learn about new things in wrestling which I feel like doesn't happen much on here anymore. Post about shitty early ass CZW where they wrestled in parking lots, post about BJW and their pirahna matches. It's less 'post less WWE' and just more 'post more of what you're up into' for people who are watching other stuff. Or just a challenge for people to go looking for other stuff. I mean, how long did it take for NJPW to catch on in here? It's not going to be instantaneous, but I sure would like to see some shit I've never seen before or some shit I forgot about. It is a 'wrasslin' thread, but it feels like a Raw thread.

I don't even care if it's mocking the posts if it's some kind of playful mocking that's acknowleding the content of the match like, 'I give this Messiah match 1 1/2 thumbs up'

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also the definition of legit shook.
In 1962, Blassie had a feud with Japanese wrestling icon Rikidōzan that established his reputation in Japan. After Blassie lost the WWA World Heavyweight Championship to Rikidōzan in Los Angeles, the two had a rematch on live Japanese television. Many of the viewers were horrified by Blassie's treatment of their hero. One of Blassie's gimmicks was to file his teeth, and draw blood from his opponents by biting their foreheads. The sight of the Japanese legend covered in his own blood gave several viewers heart attacks, and some reportedly even died.

SS 02 is on pause. And now I am about to make some SHINE gifs.

Edit: What is the most effective way to turn a video clip into a gif of reasonable size? I use gfycat for a lot of stuff, but I can't embed those.

WrassleGaf, I'm going to be honest with you here. I've been purveying other wrestling message boards recently to find some matches, some news, some older stuff that's hard to find and things like that. And I've come to a conclusion that hurts me to say. Other than SquaredCircle(which is the worst) and a couple of those boards that I know I won't touch, every other community I checked has much more variety of wrestling promotion discussion.

More European, Lucha Libre, Japanese, territory stuff. I'd like to see more of it and I'd like to see more than two people discussing it. Obviously no one should feel obliged to do anything, but it's really hard to see when we have intelligent people who only want to watch one or two products. I really enjoyed when Lambda posted wrestlers doing MMA stuff, for instance. I don't like a lot of European indy stuff, but I appreciate that people like to talk about it from time to time. I wish there was more lucha libre discussion even if it's not my kind of thing.
As a fan returning to wrestling after nine years (damn...) I feel that it's time consuming as it is following up with WWE/NXT and one discussion board...unless your super hardcore into or have some sort of profession in the biz, I really don't see the point in dedicating that much time to Wrassling.
Don't get me wrong, I love Wrasslegaf.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As a fan returning to wrestling after nine years (damn...) I feel that it's time consuming as it is following up with WWE/NXT and one discussion board...unless your super hardcore into or have some sort of profession in the biz, I really don't see the point in dedicating that much time to Wrassling.
Don't get me wrong, I love Wrasslegaf.

You seem to be under the assumption that everyone is watching the WWE or that everyone is required to do this. I know there are at least 3 people who don't watch the WWE anymore because they don't like it's direction. Personally, since I stopped, I hate that I haven't much to discuss in here anymore, but I'm not going to watch something I strongly dislike just to have something to talk about.

the goal is just for people to at least glimpse at something else if they want to. There's nothing mandatory. It's just a hope 'if I put something out there, maybe someone will be interested in it.'

BearPawB

Banned
You seem to be under the assumption that everyone is watching the WWE or that everyone is required to do this. I know there are at least 3 people who don't watch the WWE anymore because they don't like it's direction. Personally, since I stopped, I hate that I haven't much to discuss in here anymore, but I'm not going to watch something I strongly dislike just to have something to talk about.

the goal is just for people to at least glimpse at something else if they want to. There's nothing mandatory. It's just a hope 'if I put something out there, maybe someone will be interested in it.'

So why are you talking about talking about it, instead of just talking about it? It's like you are mad other people won't start a discussion for you. If you want to discuss something, bring it up.

Also, you seem to be under the assumption everyone is as jaded about the WWE product as you are. Clearly by my presence in this thread, there are some new fans, who are just discovering the product in general. Let alone some small regional thing.

I understand, I'd like to get more familiar with other products that do focus more on wrestling and the different variations/takes on in ring psychology, but for now I'm liking the network and being able to dig into PPVs I missed or were before my time.

I agree that WWE discussion does take over, but honestly it can be some of best material to talk about for shits and giggles.

Hasney

SS 02 is on pause. And now I am about to make some SHINE gifs.

Edit: What is the most effective way to turn a video clip into a gif of reasonable size? I use gfycat for a lot of stuff, but I can't embed those.

I just use gifcam then throw them up on imgur.

http://blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

I don't think the format of this suits more fringe discussion. On a dedicated wrestling forum or Reddit, everything is split into topics so it's easy to find what you want to talk about. Here, if someone posts about something fringe and noone is on at the time to discuss it as well, it can easily be missed with how fast the forums goes. That out then also discourage people from coming here that like wrestling and don't watch WWE because without a split of topics, it looks like 100% WWE talk in here.

Not sure how to change that. Maybe put "Non-WWE" or "non-American" in the post title maybe? Then everyone who wants to talk about it can easily search for it when they come on.

Per Data's request, I am here to open your minds to the wonderful world of SHINE. Here I'll show some highlights from one of my favorite matches from last year, Allysin Kay vs. Evie. Both of these women should be in WWE and this match shows why. Quick offense from Evie and power work from Kay. Forgive my gif making skills, as I know they are not the best.

Fun sequence to start the match

ExcellentEllipticalKid.gif

Kay recovers with a big boot

FriendlyMagnificentAmericanbittern.gif

Evie with a great uranage backbreaker

AliveBreakableGoldfinch.gif

Great kick exchange

EminentExcitableCapybara.gif

Once again, Kay counters with the boot

BareAssuredFinnishspitz.gif

Another boot from Kay, the best looking of the trio.

FatalWastefulIchneumonfly.gif

Evie with a surprise boot of her own.

DeepLastingFerret.gif

Awesome finishing lariat.

OpenVerifiableAfricanaugurbuzzard.gif

I would tell you to seek this match out, but a lot of WWN stuff is hard to find online as they are very vigilant about taking it down quick. So you'd have to buy the show it's from legitimately (SHINE 22). The whole show is great, so I'd recommend it overall. Their next show is coming up on March 6 and the main event features one of the best women's wrestlers in the world, Mia Yim, and in my opinion the best women's wrestler in the world, Ivelisse. The shows are pretty cheap at ten bucks for the iPPV live viewing and they are always fun. I'll probably do gif recaps of the shows going forward if there is any interest. If you read all this, thanks!

I really would discuss other stuff as I watch/read/listen to a shit ton of wrestling and wrestling related material almost every day since I have so much downtime at work, but I always just assume any shit I would post is just old and a waste of time and someone else has probably posted it before.

Of course I'd like to see more non-WWE discussion around here and appreciate that the single-thread format doesn't lend itself to discussing niche topics, but at the same time I think WrassleGAF is one of the better places to discuss wrestling on the internet. Sure, there's forums where you'll be able to find topics for the most obscure wrestling promotion, but they always feel divided between WWE and non-WWE, at least here everyone mingles and is exposed to posts outside of their wrestling bubble. I don't like the idea of having a dedicated OT for non-WWE stuff, but Freckle's idea of overhauling the OT format is a good one and I'll write-up a list with links and info for all the relevant promotions that can just be copy & pasted into each OT.

Daisuke Harada vs Minoru Suzuki is fantastic but not in the way I expected. In a different way. In a way I really, really appreciate. While the match should have gone on much longer, I understand it was shorter to establish Suzuki's position over the less experienced Harada. Harada REALLY channels his Gotch and Dory Funk tapes in this one and just lays this match out like a good old fashioned hero vs villain. This match has highly raised my opinion of Daisuke Harada, and it had nothing to do with any of his amazing physical ability. He plays the perfect babyface to this invading force in his promotion. Suzuki-gun has constantly been running rampant and jumping members of NOAH. Repaying the favor, Harada jumps Suzuki in the middle of his entrance which I've never seen ANYONE interrupt Kaze Ni Nari. Harada is that young lion and completely takes it to Suzuki in a way I don't think people expected. Pounding him with elbows and forearms, throwing him outside and even countering a kick with a belly to belly on the outside.

Suzuki uses his abilities to finally regain control. The ref has much more of a spine in this match and does his best to stop Suzuki's cheating unlike previous NOAH refs. Suzuki barely lets go of control in this brief match-up, but the one time it does it becomes easy to fall into the hype of Daisuke Harada as he goes for a comeback. Harada is an absolutely perfect babyface in his role against Suzuki's maniacal villain, and the only thing disappointing is that it was just a set-up to Suzuki's meeting with the unlikeable Marufuji.

This was a real fun match, I was shouting "WTF ARE YOU DOING, KID?!?" at my screen when Harada jumped Suzuki at the start. Making MiSu angry generally isn't a great idea. I loved that big strike exchange, Suzuki's so fucking amazing when he turns it on and starts dodging everything, he really is in a league of his own when it comes to open-palm striking these days. Also, Suzuki trying to goddamn tear Harada's leg off with that single-leg crab;

prsegog.gif

Oh, and if anyone has a better transition into a sleeper than Suzuki, I've yet to see it;

vo59yTm.gif

Yeah, that looks so nasty, evidently Yoshiko doesn't fuck around.

Also, FAO European WrassleGAF'ers;

88D4GK7.jpg

Shit, if I had the money I'd be flying out to Germany for this.

Xater

Yeah, that looks so nasty, evidently Yoshiko doesn't fuck around.

Also, FAO European WrassleGAF'ers;

88D4GK7.jpg

Shit, if I had the money I'd be flying out to Germany for this.

I thought about going to this show, but the cheap tickets were already sold out. Going to the final day of 16 Carat Gold instead.

Jesus Christ! What the fuck happened in that match?

No one seems sure if it's a work or a shoot, a reporter for one of Japan's newspapers says he knows Yoshiko and that she was indeed shooting on Act. The match started with Yoshiko physically dominating Act, forcing her to the mat and keeping her there before eventually letting her up and just smashing her face in. The referee was reportedly seen asking the STARDOM owner if he should stop the match, but was told no and eventually Act's second Kyoko Kimura intervened and stopped the match at just under eight minutes, making the official result Yoshiko retains via TKO. A lot of the fans and crew seemed shocked and there's been no official response, other than a blog posts from a few of the senior wrestlers apologising to the fans.

I thought about going to this show, but the cheap tickets were already sold out. Going to the final day of 16 Carat Gold instead.

Nice, the line-up looks pretty awesome this year. Hope Marty does well :)

Alucard

Banned
Watching ROH TV. ACH vs El Patron was a basic, short TV match. Neither guy got to show much but it wasn't bad or anything. Elgin vs Mark Briscoe is next.

That's disappointing to hear. Patron's match against Daniels was also just kind of there, but it was cool for the crowd reaction. I might be unfairly expecting an AJ Styles-like run from Patron.

And Elgin vs Mark Briscoe was also nothing, felt even moreso this time though. The world title feud just isn't clicking with me.

Yeah, I'm not huge on the four-way either, but I'm pretty confident the match itself will be good.

Honestly, ACH vs. AJ Styles should steal the show next Sunday.

Alucard

Banned

I appreciate you posting and trying to get discussions going on NOAH and joshi stuff, but I often have nothing to contribute on those posts and don't always have time to watch your suggested matches between all the other wrestling I try to keep up with. Try being the operative word, as it's damn near impossible to watch everything with my personal schedule.

I do read just about every single post, but with segments of the board shitting on ROH and indie wrestling in general when there's something posted, it's not the most constructive place to discuss some of this stuff. And we just have to accept that a lot of people on here pretty much watch WWE and nothing but. Well, maybe NXT as well.

March OT is coming, so fear not, friend. There will be plenty of representation of other promotions.

Xater

Nice, the line-up looks pretty awesome this year. Hope Marty does well :)

I don't care who wins, I'm just excited for the final day which could be stacked with participants like Ricochet, Zack Sabre Jr., Daisuke Harada and Tommy End. Also taking my GF to the show. Her first ever wrestling event. No idea how I managed to convince her.

Why is sting holding a gun?

That's not his middle finger?

Pizoxuat

We just got around to watching Friday's AXS NJPW show, and I feel like I could watch Ibushi/Nakamura for as many times as those two guys can get into the ring together. I was already impressed with the two of them from Wrestle Kingdom 9, but seeing them again, man they work together well.

RBH

There was a rumor going around this week that Ring Of Honor was negotiating with Spike TV for televised specials, which is not true. Spike TV has no idea where this came from. A source noted that it was ROH that leaked the story to mask some of the budget issues that the company is dealing with.

Dave Meltzer addressed the ROH rumors on the F4WOnline forum, stating to not "read much into the ROH Spike stuff." Meltzer added that "ROH is pitching places but right now nobody is catching."

"Jeff Jarrett being 15 months into the game with no TV deal tells you how much the TV industry is into paying for wrestling these days," Meltzer wrote. "Tho I smell smoke from Jeff's side."

XenoRaven

Of course I'd like to see more non-WWE discussion around here and appreciate that the single-thread format doesn't lend itself to discussing niche topics, but at the same time I think WrassleGAF is one of the better places to discuss wrestling on the internet. Sure, there's forums where you'll be able to find topics for the most obscure wrestling promotion, but they always feel divided between WWE and non-WWE, at least here everyone mingles and is exposed to posts outside of their wrestling bubble. I don't like the idea of having a dedicated OT for non-WWE stuff, but Freckle's idea of overhauling the OT format is a good one and I'll write-up a list with links and info for all the relevant promotions that can just be copy & pasted into each OT.

This was a real fun match, I was shouting "WTF ARE YOU DOING, KID?!?" at my screen when Harada jumped Suzuki at the start. Making MiSu angry generally isn't a great idea. I loved that big strike exchange, Suzuki's so fucking amazing when he turns it on and starts dodging everything, he really is in a league of his own when it comes to open-palm striking these days. Also, Suzuki trying to goddamn tear Harada's leg off with that single-leg crab;

http://i.imgur.com/prsegog.gif

Oh, and if anyone has a better transition into a sleeper than Suzuki, I've yet to see it;

http://i.imgur.com/vo59yTm.gif
Honestly, I enjoy this thread the most when we're not talking about WWE. I'd love to see more diverse discussion, but like Data said I'm not trying to force anyone to watch anything. Personally, I don't have the time or energy to invest in more than one or two promotions at a time. I get that a lot of people fall into the same category.

Suzuki is so quick and agile for a 46 year old man. Dude has taken care of his body despite choosing a career path that gets it beat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom