• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fastlane OT is a draw because it's in OT and not the community gulag. AH DOY!

hey plywood

Qj7sF.gif

What's also weird about early 97 RAWs is that they have the classic AE intro (explosions, siren, grungy warehouse, THORN IN YOUR EYE) but the shows themselves still have shit like The Godwins and fancy HHH

Ultratech

I think the tradeoff of making other OTs for other aspects of wrestling (Like a LU thread, for instance) would ultimately be negative, as people would have even less awareness of what's going on elsewhere in this thread, and it's an uphill battle to find people interested in LU from just an OT. I really think how we have things are most optimal. The GAF approval process probably stops us from growing like we could, but there's plenty of good reasons why that exists anyhow. Kideo games are their bread and butter.

Good points.

Speaking of Lucha Underground though, it's become my new favorite wrestling show along with NXT (I keep missing NXT due to reasons, though I've watched the last couple or so).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'll say this: I have no understanding on how other promotions work week to week and month to month. I don't seeing myself buying random ippv's. I want to watch the buildup if there is any.

snk2's post anout NJPW World turned me off as well. I want full shows. Tho, is there even promo translations or English announce teams on the newest content?

I don't think there should be different OTs. I think that would just make it to where the people who like a particular niche are insulated. Less discovery for others. But then again, I put effort into those SHINE gifs and saw no response, so maybe separating things is the right way to go.

Make no mistake about it. Looking at WWF back in that time period and comparing how the WWE is like now it's becoming clear the WWF during the New Generation days is Vince's ideal wrestling organization. The difference was that the WWF was bleeding money and from an in ring standpoint most of the people are either really good but underexposed (except if you're Bulldog and Owen), aggressively mediocre, or the drizzling shits. When the Attitude era is in full swing, it feels so different because Vince was desperate and willing to try anything that could get over, which is why these RAWs have random lucha libre matches with no build, and why Shamrock's entire character at first was "he's dangerous because he does UFC, and UFC is dangerous."

How similar do you think Today's Product (and their Top Guy) (Cena), New Generation (Shawn Michaels/Hart) and Mid 80's WWF (Hogan) are? I've never really thought about it before, but you've got me wondering now.

In the spirit of broadening the thread to random Indies, I'm on the way to Rev Pro in Marylebone (things happen in Marylebone?)

Headline matches are Doug Williams vs Marty Scurll and Will Ospreay vs Rocky Romero. Jimmy Havoc is also debuting, and I hear Big Damo will be there too, looking forward to checking him out.

Kaladin

I watched a 2011 match with PAC / Neville from Dragon Gate USA. A lot of PAC's style carried over to WWE....he really only had to really change his match pacing which is a good thing for a lot of indie guys.

FACT:

NXT kills any desire or need a casual fan would have to seek out indie promotions.
This is pretty much it, along with Lucha, 2 hours a week of great wrestling is all I need.

Per Data's request, I am here to open your minds to the wonderful world of SHINE. Here I'll show some highlights from one of my favorite matches from last year, Allysin Kay vs. Evie. Both of these women should be in WWE and this match shows why. Quick offense from Evie and power work from Kay. Forgive my gif making skills, as I know they are not the best.

Fun sequence to start the match

ExcellentEllipticalKid.gif

Kay recovers with a big boot

FriendlyMagnificentAmericanbittern.gif

-snip-

I would tell you to seek this match out, but a lot of WWN stuff is hard to find online as they are very vigilant about taking it down quick. So you'd have to buy the show it's from legitimately (SHINE 22). The whole show is great, so I'd recommend it overall. Their next show is coming up on March 6 and the main event features one of the best women's wrestlers in the world, Mia Yim, and in my opinion the best women's wrestler in the world, Ivelisse. The shows are pretty cheap at ten bucks for the iPPV live viewing and they are always fun. I'll probably do gif recaps of the shows going forward if there is any interest. If you read all this, thanks!
But I'm so high off the fatal 4 way at Rival I'd like some more women's wrestling, and I'll try and see a couple shows of this promotion as well.

This is pretty much it, along with Lucha, 2 hours a week of great wrestling is all I need.

But I'm so high off the fatal 4 way at Rival I'd like some more women's wrestling, and I'll try and see a couple shows of this promotion as well.

It's worth a shot. Low entry price, and like I said the shows are usually always fun. Most of the women are pretty good, and the ones at the top of the card are consistently great.

Best high flyer in the world;

Neville or Ibushi?

I'm going to have to echo what everyone else said and go with Ricochet. I think he's more versatile than either Ibushi or Neville and, on his best day, more spectacular. Ibushi's the bigger star, however, and has bigger potential. Plus, he's kinda nuts, which is always a good trait for a high flyer. Neville is also fantastic and I think he's probably the more sympathetic character and sells better than the other two, but his matches can often be more formulaic.

In the spirit of broadening the thread to random Indies, I'm on the way to Rev Pro in Marylebone (things happen in Marylebone?)

Headline matches are Doug Williams vs Marty Scurll and Will Ospreay vs Rocky Romero. Jimmy Havoc is also debuting, and I hear Big Damo will be there too, looking forward to checking him out.

Nice, glad to see Jimmy debut in RevPro and Ospreay vs Romero should be ace. Looking forward to watching this whenever they get it up for download.

i feel like separating threads would stifle discussion further. but idk.

I don't think there should be different OTs. I think that would just make it to where the people who like a particular niche are insulated. Less discovery for others. But then again, I put effort into those SHINE gifs and saw no response, so maybe separating things is the right way to go.

I appreciate those gifs, I was asleep when they were posted i think. SHINE is one of those things i'd get into with more time and money, 'cause i do wanna get more into indie wrestling and women's wrestling. Maybe on a good payday!

How similar do you think Today's Product (and their Top Guy) (Cena), New Generation (Shawn Michaels/Hart) and Mid 80's WWF (Hogan) are? I've never really thought about it before, but you've got me wondering now.

Each guy had to put up with such radically different circumstances. Hogan had extremely natural charisma, and he was a great promo man. But the WWF didn't have nearly as much weekly exposure back then so it's not hard to see why the crowd didn't get tired of him when the most they saw of him outside of the big time matches were crazy coke filled Hogan promos, and everyone loves those. But once the roster filled out with guys like Flair, Savage, and Warrior, that's when you can see the start of making the champ look strong. Difference was, this was still around the time of the territories, and as a result guys had way bigger egos.

Michaels/Hart had more exposure, but were on top during a time period where the WWF was struggling financially, and some of the big names like Hogan, Warrior, and Savage had left. They had to deal with an incredibly thin roster, and as a result could be pushed extremely hard because they were the only guys at the top of the mountain. But just like before the roster filled out with guys like Taker (no longer a rookie) Austin, and eventually all the big Attitude era names. The AE had a lot of bad things, but it had a wealth of main event talent.

Now the circle starts again. The Rock and Austin move away from wrestling. The stage is set for new talent. But something is different now. Now the WWE is a billion dollar publicly traded organization. Now the WWE stands at the top of the mountain. And this time we have HHH, a man with direct ties to the McMahon family and able to capitalize on Attitude era nostalgia. The early 00s were DOMINATED by HHH and some Attitude era guys who couldn't get as big as Austin or Rock start rejuvenating themselves.

Examine the main event scene in the ruthless aggression era, right before Cena. You have:
  • HHH
  • Angle
  • Biker Taker
  • Lesnar
  • Goldberg
  • Big Show
  • Eddie Guerrero

Lesnar is the only one on that list who didn't make his name during the late 90s, and that's because Brock was/is a fucking monster with Heyman's booking mind behind him. So what about Cena? Cena gets a over and wins the title from JBL at WM 21. The crowd doesn't give a shit. Cena moves to RAW and steamrolls over EVERYBODY and has an awful feud with Edge. He essentially has Hogan/ Michaels era booking but the roster is too stacked. Why isn't Cena getting over? Because after a near decade of the Attitude Era scene, fans are rejecting the manufactured push because there are still AE guys on the roster.

This lasts pretty much until 2007/2008, which is when Cena REALLY got over. Why?
  • HHH - injured
  • Taker - injured
  • Benoit - dead
  • Jericho - gone
  • Angle - gone

Just like before, the roster was thin, and the audience starving for main event talent get the guy returning early from a horrific injury while all of their Attitude era favorites are no where to be seen. But just like before, the roster is starting to fill up just a bit more...

Bowser

Ricochet had a WWE tryout right? Can't believe they didn't sign him. He could have been the next gen Mysterio, they would have sold a ton of merch with him.

appreciate those gifs, I was asleep when they were posted i think. SHINE is one of those things i'd get into with more time and money, 'cause i do wanna get more into indie wrestling and women's wrestling. Maybe on a good payday!

Thanks. I'll try to post more of them in the future.

Ricochet had a WWE tryout right? Can't believe they didn't sign him. He could have been the next gen Mysterio, they would have sold a ton of merch with him.

Their reasoning was that they didn't need him at the moment because they already have Neville and the two are similar. Which I guess I can sort of see. But I'm sure his time will come. He's young, he'll get signed sooner or later.

Xater

I don't know. They basically don't have a cruiserweight division. Who would he even wrestle with except potentially Neville so he can shine with his style?

I don't know. They basically don't have a cruiserweight division. Who would he even wrestle with except potentially Neville so he can shine with his style?

I think he can adapt to opponents more than Neville, and Neville is already pretty good at that now. And if not, that's what the performance center and NXT is for

Owen/Bulldog vs LOD was such an overbooked cluster. First Hawk and Animal pin Bulldog and seem to win the tag titles, but it turns out Bulldog wasn't the legal man so the referee continues the match, and then Bret comes out to interfere for Bulldog and Owen to retain by dq.

BearPawB

Banned
How much active rehearsal goes on in the WWE today (ever)?

Like, would undertaker and mankind rehearse the throwing off the cage thing?

Did the wrestlers on Fastlane tonight work out beats throughout the week? And actively get in the ring and try it out? Or is it more improv than that?

Got up and surfed some wwe vids what do you guys think was more of a shock taker streak ending or hogan turning heel ? I feel the taker thing felt Crazier but wrestling didn't really play to the fan reactions back then .

Did the wrestlers on Fastlane tonight work out beats throughout the week? And actively get in the ring and try it out? Or is it more improve than that?

They usually go over one or 2 big spots and the rest is called in the ring

Did the wrestlers on Fastlane tonight work out beats throughout the week? And actively get in the ring and try it out? Or is it more improve than that?

Most is improvised. But some guys, Undertaker is a big example, want everything laid out and practiced. Anyone who works with Taker for Mania the past few years has had to go down to his home and train with him and go over the match step by step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom