• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

I know it is old hat at this point. But as someone who didn't watch wrestling as a kid, and just recently got into it. Just started watching Monday Night War and it has been extremely illuminating. It makes so much more sense why people believed this was "real". Also it is a fun way to catch up on years of storylines. I think almost anyone could watch this series and find it super engaging. Just a well made documentary series.

A word of warning, it's very biased/inaccurate. WWE tends to portray themselves in a glowing light while misrepresenting WCW.
Make no mistake, WCW was terribly run, and caused its own demise, but not really in the way WWE tends to portray it.

JavyOO7

Suzuki wrecked that poor guy in that NOAH match. I did like the story it told with the dude actually jumping Suzuki before the match even started... but of course the song for him wouldn't die before the audience belted out the lyrics, lol.

Alucard

Banned

Ithil

142460379808631rjb.jpg

Simply what the hell?

My kids both shake their heads in incomprehension when I turn on wrasslin'. My wife scorned it at first, but has slowly gotten interested, mainly due to enjoying Steph's character. It's weird.

Before I married my Wife she had never seen wrestling in her life. One night I put the 'From the Vault' Shawn Michaels DVD which had a collection of his best matches. She sat and watched the entire thing and really got into his character (HA!). I never thought she'd get into wrestling, but she'll watch it if it's on and has been to a few House Shows and TV Tapings with my over the years. So while people are a little jaded with WWE in general they've still done a good job over the years of having 'likable' characters to get new people hooked.

I know it is old hat at this point. But as someone who didn't watch wrestling as a kid, and just recently got into it. Just started watching Monday Night War and it has been extremely illuminating. It makes so much more sense why people believed this was "real". Also it is a fun way to catch up on years of storylines. I think almost anyone could watch this series and find it super engaging. Just a well made documentary series.

Welcome to the party!

So I've currently reached April 1997 in my Attitude Era binge. Here are things I've noticed.
  • Stone Cold really was the best guy on the show
  • Canadian Hero Bret Hart is great
  • I think from an in ring stand point Owen and bulldog are the best guys on the roster
  • Rocky Maivia was the most boring guy ever. Doesn't even get any mic time.
  • HHH wasn't over; Chyna was over
  • Mankind does great promos
  • WWF really did try to put Lucha Libre and UFC over
  • Jerry Lawler is a fucking sociopath
  • Undertaker puts everybody he faces off with over. Every single one.
  • Shawn was treated exactly the same as Cena.
  • The following people are overexposed and should fuck off: Honky Tonk, Headbangers, Nation of Domination
  • 90% of non ppv matches end in dq

I can't believe this list was no sold, some good observation and discussion points in here. I'd be interested to know how you feel like Shawn Michaels was booked Cena-esque, as I never picked up on that back in the day.

The Jerry Lawler point is great too, I used to think he was amazing back in the day but in hindsight he was just a hyperactive Jesse Ventura with less class and wit. I do miss the days of having a heel-biased co-commentator though. JBL tries, but he never puts the heels' cheap tactics over, just seemingly bullies the faces for various things.

I'll never understand why Honky Tonk man was ever used past 1992 though the Rockabilly and Roadie thing was sort of campy interesting, I guess. As for The Headbangers... I liked them back in the day >.<

WrassleGaf, I'm going to be honest with you here. I've been purveying other wrestling message boards recently to find some matches, some news, some older stuff that's hard to find and things like that. And I've come to a conclusion that hurts me to say. Other than SquaredCircle(which is the worst) and a couple of those boards that I know I won't touch, every other community I checked has much more variety of wrestling promotion discussion.

More European, Lucha Libre, Japanese, territory stuff. I'd like to see more of it and I'd like to see more than two people discussing it. Obviously no one should feel obliged to do anything, but it's really hard to see when we have intelligent people who only want to watch one or two products. I really enjoyed when Lambda posted wrestlers doing MMA stuff, for instance. I don't like a lot of European indy stuff, but I appreciate that people like to talk about it from time to time. I wish there was more lucha libre discussion even if it's not my kind of thing.
I think we need a serious OT overhaul that needs to include things like where to find these other promotions and ways to see it.

I don't think the format of this suits more fringe discussion. On a dedicated wrestling forum or Reddit, everything is split into topics so it's easy to find what you want to talk about. Here, if someone posts about something fringe and noone is on at the time to discuss it as well, it can easily be missed with how fast the forums goes. That out then also discourage people from coming here that like wrestling and don't watch WWE because without a split of topics, it looks like 100% WWE talk in here.
I don't like the idea of having a dedicated OT for non-WWE stuff, but Freckle's idea of overhauling the OT format is a good one and I'll write-up a list with links and info for all the relevant promotions that can just be copy & pasted into each OT.

A combo of all these things would be great, and I'd like to see whoever makes the OT keep an active update of the opening post to update it with links of good discussion points that develop throughout the month. I agree it's easy to miss things as so much is posted when you're away, which is a shame as there are some good WWE (Modern, Retro & Network) and Non-WWE discussions/posts here. So I can understand why some people feel a little unenthusiastic to post thoughtful bits as sometimes they go unnoticed due to timing.

I'll make an active attempt to post more CHIKARA and Early Day TNA stuff, and maybe some updates from the North-East wrestling scene (all 3 promotions of it)...

Kaladin

When I did OTs I included every promotion you'd want to read about.

90% of the discussion was still WWE, with 5% being New Japan, 4% being TNA and 1% being other.

When I did OTs I included every promotion you'd want to read about.

90% of the discussion was still WWE, with 5% being New Japan, 4% being TNA and 1% being other.

I'm sure that reflections wrestling in general though based on this forum's primary language and demographic (from I can gather).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd just like to see more people give more things a chance. Some discussion that lasts longer than 2 seconds about anything other than modern day WWE or NXT. Lucha Underground and NJPW are just barely there but even that compared to said WWE products. Thank god for the NJPW OTs because sometimes I feel like it's the only place we can really discuss things outside of the 2015 WWE bubble. I don't care if people know about it, don't know about it, or want to know more about it. Either way, ideally someone is going to learn something.

Post about Shawn Michaels in Baywatch, post about Billy Gunn on Sabrina the Teenage Witch, post about SHIMMER, post about Mexican Womens Wrestling(if you can, that shit's near impossible to find), post about WWWF or Prime Time Wrestling. I loved, loved looking up Prime Time Wrestling stuff and discovering new things. Going out and trying to find something new. I always knew about it but never really got to dig into it because it was before my time rather than 'here is what the WWE is serving me this week.' If the Network posts a bunch of old nitros, just mention if something cool happened on it or if you remembered an old favorite you forgot about. I know we have the Network thread and you can put more thoughts there, but I'd like to hear a brief summary of it because the Network thread is less active.

The hard part is because it's a catch-all thread, we don't focus on a niche so people don't seek us out when they're into something that is considered niche (read: anything non-WWE) - Certainly up for making more of an effort. However my big dilemma is I actually DO like most of what WWE is doing now. My biggest gripe is their continuity issues, but the rest is a lot of fun, and I don't think it was until Survivor Series last year that I realized I was totally invested in what they're doing.

I'm dry heaving right now. This is so disgusting.

Woah, wtf? Apparently the main event of today's STARDOM show ended in a shoot as things got ugly and Yoshiko badly broke Act's orbital bone;

9LWSfyg.jpg

ls6uKJz.jpg

Saw that this morning. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Act, goddamn I can't help but think nobody deserves that shit. Fuck. Yoshiko is hoss tier, but this is proof.

Kaladin

I'm sure that reflections wrestling in general though based on this forum's primary language and demographic (from I can gather).

I'm just saying you can do anything you want with the OT. People will ignore the content of the post after day 1 when we move on to page 2.

XenoRaven

In the near future I want to make a Wrasslin OT that makes literally no mention of WWE in the OP. I'm waiting until after WM though.

I still think the majority of discussion will be on WWE, but maybe we can shift the focus to something else a little more often.

Xater

In the near future I want to make a Wrasslin OT that makes literally no mention of WWE in the OP. I'm waiting until after WM though.

I still think the majority of discussion will be on WWE, but maybe we can shift the focus to something else a little more often.

Does WWE even need a big presence in the OP? I mean it's so easily accessible that lots of information about that seems like a waste of time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Does WWE even need a big presence in the OP? I mean it's so easily accessible that lots of information about that seems like a waste of time.

That's why beyond their upcoming PPV I just kinda leave it out. Could you imagine if people treated WWE's product like they do RoH's? Schedule slots and availability? It's just so pervasive, though.

I'm just saying you can do anything you want with the OT. People will ignore the content of the post after day 1 when we move on to page 2.

I guess so, but I'm one of those people who always read through the opening post of community threads when I'm interested in reading or joining another community group. The Metal Gear Solid Community thread has a great Opening Post, which totally hooked me (even if I don't post).

Kaladin

Trust me, you can do whatever you want with the OT. You can post every indie iPPV happening that month and watch them all. Chances are, it will be you and maybe one other person talking about it in the thread.

What I find interesting is that there always seems to be a bunch of 'new' people who post in the random OT Threads created about wrestling news and events who never seem to post in the Community Threads.

Even the Fastlane OT thread has people I have rarely (if ever) seen post in a WrassleGAF Monthly thread. So, perhaps if an OT Thread is made it has a link to the monthly community thread to help people find us?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What I find interesting is that there always seems to be a bunch of 'new' people who post in the random OT Threads created about wrestling news and events who never seem to post in the Community Threads.

Even the Fastlane OT thread has people I have rarely (if ever) seen post in a WrassleGAF Monthly thread. So, perhaps if an OT Thread is made it has a link to the monthly community thread to help people find us?

Some people don't want a community experience. People come to different forums for different reasons. That said, it's worth making sure it's as easy as possible to find us, but don't expect a big conversion rate.

RBH

I honestly believe that part of the reason for that is due to the thread titles that we use for the monthly threads.

When people see "WWE" in the title of random OT threads, it's easier for them to gravitate towards that than to a thread where the thread title says "Wrasslin", as silly as that may sound.

Vylash

wow, sickening

I honestly believe that part of the reason for that is due to the thread titles that we use for the monthly threads.

When people see "WWE" in the title of random OT threads, it's easier for them to gravitate towards that than to a thread where the thread title says "Wrasslin", as silly as that may sound.

No, I was thinking along the same lines. If you're searching for Wrestling or WWE via thread titles you're not really going to find our community threads. Clearly this doesn't help create a more diverse range of views and wrestling fans within the community, if people are generally search for WWE but it's a start.

Xater

There also seems to be a big group that only shows up to live complain about RAW. At least that's the impression I get when I stay up for that long on Monday.

Also for the guys here that don#t regularly visit the gaming side: Feep is handing out free copies of his game There Came an Echo for the next 48 hours.

Link to the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997097

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So you guys would be ok with being called "WrestlingGAF"? I can't say it rolls off the tongue.

I can't believe this list was no sold, some good observation and discussion points in here. I'd be interested to know how you feel like Shawn Michaels was booked Cena-esque, as I never picked up on that back in the day.

The Jerry Lawler point is great too, I used to think he was amazing back in the day but in hindsight he was just a hyperactive Jesse Ventura with less class and wit. I do miss the days of having a heel-biased co-commentator though. JBL tries, but he never puts the heels' cheap tactics over, just seemingly bullies the faces for various things.

I'll never understand why Honky Tonk man was ever used past 1992 though the Rockabilly and Roadie thing was sort of campy interesting, I guess. As for The Headbangers... I liked them back in the day >.<

Context is important, but basically what you have to understand is around this point it's not fair to say Shawn is "booked" any particular way because this is post "I lost my smile michaels" so depending on who you believe he's either out from knee surgery or selling a fake knee injury they had to make up because he didn't want to drop the belt to Bret.

But let's use the booking slightly before that, when he was feuding with Sid. Vince on commentary absolutely FAWNS over Michaels every chance he gets. It is almost 1:1 with how Lawler and Cole treat Cena. It's always "Michaels is the underdog, Michaels is the most charismatic, the most flamboyant champion ever." But Shawn is the same old cocky asshole who laughs off everything, never looking threatened. So when Sid has to get heat leading up to their match, Sid has to powerbomb Lothario's son because it can't be Michaels in the feud, no he has to fight for the little guy. Now that he's out with a knee injury he still comes in, and every single promo he cuts is always "they can cheer me, they can boo me it's great that the WWE Universe the fans are allowed to do this.

Let's compare to two other big names and their treatment: Stone Cold and Taker. Stone Cold says the same thing Michaels does, except Austin is still a tweener by this point, so he always emphasizes that he doesn't care, he's going to get the job done. This makes him seem more like a person who has agency in his own storylines instead of the product that Michaels feels like.

Taker is strangely different. Taker puts EVERYBODY over. Every Taker promo of this era has him always mentioning how "x is dangerous, x is a formidable opponent, x should not be underestimated." Taker is an undead zombie man, but he's the only guy I can see cutting promos talking about how he has no greater advantage than the people he's fighting. And the people LOVE him, they go nuts for him.

And this is the fundamental difference in how the WWF/E treats those guys vs their "top guys." Those guys WANT the title. It drives them. Guys like Cena/Michaels always seem to just EXPECT that they'll win the title, and it's hard to like them because in a way, they aren't treating this seriously. They're products whose sole purpose is to have the belt slapped on them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Here's some pics of the Harlem Heat reunion. Stevie looks better than expected, after having come out with a sweatshirt initially I feared the worst:
tumblr_nk5wnibiTt1sg99p0o3_540.jpg

tumblr_nk5wnibiTt1sg99p0o5_540.jpg

tumblr_nk5wnibiTt1sg99p0o8_540.jpg

tumblr_nk5wnibiTt1sg99p0o9_540.jpg

Vylash

you guys are severely overestimating how many people give a shit about wrestling enough to join a community about it on this site, everyone who knows about wrestling on here knows about us, nobody's searching for wrestling and not finding us, people aren't not posting here because they can't find the thread, they're not posting here because they're super casuals who only pay attention during ppvs and don't follow the weekly product, or don't care enough to constantly talk about it, doing some impact wrestling style rebranding isn't going to accomplish anything

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But seriously, last time I wrote up something I wanted to discuss, I got banned because of it.

Did you want to discuss Lana? NSFW obviously.

No really though - Freckle what were you thinking? I was like nooooo

XenoRaven

If this is really a concern and enough people care about it, I think the solution is to have a theme to certain monthly OTs and people that are generally sick of WWE discussion can be in on it. We wouldn't do non-WWE themed OTs during WM month, Summerslam Month, or Royal Rumble month. Anything else is fair game. People will be encouraged to discuss the theme of the OT, and the OT creator will expected, but not required to take charge and make sure there's something to talk about. WWE discussion wouldn't be going away during these months, and wouldn't be expected to. This is just an attempt to encourage discussion about ANYTHING else.

A "theme" is pretty general, which is OK. It could be about a promotion like NJPW or Lucha Underground, it could be about 80's tag teams in the US, it could be about Johnny Saint's best matches, etc. Whatever the OP thinks would make for a good discussion.

For example, I'd like to make an OT about Minoru Suzuki. I'd go into detail about his history and such, and then at least twice a week I'd post a match or one of his MMA fights with a mini-review.

The two main issues are 1) this is work and 2) is this community large enough and are people's interests diverse enough to keep this alive? I'm leaning towards no, but I'm willing to give it a shot if people really want to make it happen.

But let's use the booking slightly before that, when he was feuding with Sid. Vince on commentary absolutely FAWNS over Michaels every chance he gets. It is almost 1:1 with how Lawler and Cole treat Cena. It's always "Michaels is the underdog, Michaels is the most charismatic, the most flamboyant champion ever." But Shawn is the same old cocky asshole who laughs off everything, never looking threatened. So when Sid has to get heat leading up to their match, Sid has to powerbomb Lothario's son because it can't be Michaels in the feud, no he has to fight for the little guy. Now that he's out with a knee injury he still comes in, and every single promo he cuts is always "they can cheer me, they can boo me it's great that the WWE Universe the fans are allowed to do this.

Man, you're right. As soon as I read this bit I could hear McMahon's commentary in my head again. I never picked up on this as a kid, which when I think about probably explains why the kids love John Cena so much - someone is telling them too (the exact same reason most adults don't like Cena).

If this is really a concern and enough people care about it, I think the solution is to have a theme to certain monthly OTs and people that are generally sick of WWE discussion can be in on it. We wouldn't do non-WWE themed OTs during WM month, Summerslam Month, or Royal Rumble month. Anything else is fair game. People will be encouraged to discuss the theme of the OT, and the OT creator will expected, but not required to take charge and make sure there's something to talk about. WWE discussion wouldn't be going away during these months, and wouldn't be expected to. This is just an attempt to encourage discussion about ANYTHING else.

A "theme" is pretty general, which is OK. It could be about a promotion like NJPW or Lucha Underground, it could be about 80's tag teams in the US, it could be about Johnny Saint's best matches, etc. Whatever the OP thinks would make for a good discussion.

For example, I'd like to make an OT about Minoru Suzuki. I'd go into detail about his history and such, and then at least twice a week I'd post a match or one of his MMA fights with a mini-review.

The two main issues are 1) this is work and 2) is this community large enough and are people's interests diverse enough to keep this alive? I'm leaning towards no, but I'm willing to give it a shot if people really want to make it happen.

I like the idea of Monthly Themed OTs with well thought out Opening Posts to guide the discussion and introduce people to the topic. I feel like I'd want to do one about Paul Orndorff, Owen Hart, CHIKARA, etc

Bowser

If I'm being honest, the people that want to make an effort and care to seek out alternative wrestling are already in this community. Renaming the thread to "WrestlingGAF" or "WWEGAF" is only going to bring in those lapsed WWE fans. Which is by no means bad, new blood would be welcomed in the community. I just think those people who are really, really into wrestling (even just WWE) to the point that they would seek out alternative wrestling are already here.

I've lately gotten into Lucha Underground and NJPW, but I don't post too much about it (NJPW especially) because I don't know enough yet to feel I can intelligently comment on it. NJPW on AXS has been a god send. Having English commentary has really made me enjoy it, to the point where I do want to seek out the best matches, even if they're not in English.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the tradeoff of making other OTs for other aspects of wrestling (Like a LU thread, for instance) would ultimately be negative, as people would have even less awareness of what's going on elsewhere in this thread, and it's an uphill battle to find people interested in LU from just an OT. I really think how we have things are most optimal. The GAF approval process probably stops us from growing like we could, but there's plenty of good reasons why that exists anyhow. Kideo games are their bread and butter.

Kaladin

Real Talk:

Continuing with my viewing of this season of Total Divas. Holy shit the Bellas are dumb asses. Brie goes behind Daniel's back and asks Nikki for a $100,000 loan to buy a bed and breakfast Daniel already said no to? John actually came across as the voice of reason in this, and when John is the voice of reason.....damn. Nikki and Brie are the biggest heels on the show, forget Summer Rae or Eva Marie.

Kaladin

I'd be all for a brand split. WWE drives the monthly push of these threads and the Wrestling GAF Community can be yearly or like MetalGaf or NetflixGAF and go till it reaches 20k. As long as WWEGAF links to the alternative, I think it wouldn't be a negative impact.

Man, you're right. As soon as I read this bit I could hear McMahon's commentary in my head again. I never picked up on this as a kid, which when I think about probably explains why the kids love John Cena so much - someone is telling them too (the exact same reason most adults don't like Cena).

Make no mistake about it. Looking at WWF back in that time period and comparing how the WWE is like now it's becoming clear the WWF during the New Generation days is Vince's ideal wrestling organization. The difference was that the WWF was bleeding money and from an in ring standpoint most of the people are either really good but underexposed (except if you're Bulldog and Owen), aggressively mediocre, or the drizzling shits. When the Attitude era is in full swing, it feels so different because Vince was desperate and willing to try anything that could get over, which is why these RAWs have random lucha libre matches with no build, and why Shamrock's entire character at first was "he's dangerous because he does UFC, and UFC is dangerous."

Xater

Real Talk:

Continuing with my viewing of this season of Total Divas. Holy shit the Bellas are dumb asses. Brie goes behind Daniel's back and asks Nikki for a $100,000 loan to buy a bed and breakfast Daniel already said no to? John actually came across as the voice of reason in this, and when John is the voice of reason.....damn. Nikki and Brie are the biggest heels on the show, forget Summer Rae or Eva Marie.

Don#t you worry, soon you will also see how incredibly dumb Eva seems to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom