• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, when it comes to Taker/Mankind hell in a cell, the first cell spot was planned because they wanted a good showing to make up for Taker's broken foot. The second spot was, as most people know, not planned and nearly killed Foley.

Those are some cray moves, what with the crowd... They seem uninterested.

I think that's just the Japanese atmosphere. In the on NJPW special I watched, the most striking thing was how reserved the crowd was. Lots of applause instead of cheering and jumping around spilling hot nacho cheese all over yourself. A load of bullshit if you ask me...

Thorakai

Also, when it comes to Taker/Mankind hell in a cell, the first cell spot was planned because they wanted a good showing to make up for Taker's broken foot. The second spot was, as most people know, not planned and nearly killed Foley.

In hindsight its also pretty scary how they lift the cell with Taker still on it. Having any of those chain floorings give out under him would have been really bad.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NXT isn't the end-all be all to wrestling.
So why are you talking about talking about it, instead of just talking about it? It's like you are mad other people won't start a discussion for you. If you want to discuss something, bring it up.

Also, you seem to be under the assumption everyone is as jaded about the WWE product as you are. Clearly by my presence in this thread, there are some new fans, who are just discovering the product in general. Let alone some small regional thing.
What? Do you not see all my posts previously talking about matches from different companies?

I never said everyone was jaded? I literally said that there should be more opportunities for other things not less chances for people to talk about WWE.

BearPawB

Banned
Thanks y'all. That is about what I expected.
I feel like wrestlers don't get enough credit fro their improve skills. Clearly some guys don't have it in the talk, but it is pretty impressive to be able to dynamically make a match.

As a relative outsider, Foley seems like the coolest thing i've seen about the attitude era. Like, what a brave/crazy dude.

The whole DX thing just seems, immature in an attempt to be so mature. It is so funny to see that HHH persona to the current one. I think businessman triple h is much more compelling than a dude just constantly referencing his dick. But what do I know. I feel like the attitude era ushered in a whole wave of bullies shouting "suck it" at nerds like me.

DMczaf

The thing with Neville lately is that his flippy indie bullshit is looking more like he wants to hurt someone instead of looking like a rehearsed dance like I see in those Riccochet gifs.

Probably that Triple H magic at work

dream

Don't forget tonight's Ultimate, BearPawB, headlined by Frank Mir vs. Bigfoot Silva, with the winner fighting Brock Lesnar in October.

Kaladin

I think the live events are supposed to be rehearsal and training for PPVs. Sometimes they even do the exact PPV matches on the live events, and that is supposed to help the wrestlers work things out for the big show.

I think the live events are supposed to be rehearsal and training for PPVs. Sometimes they even do the exact PPV matches on the live events, and that is supposed to help the wrestlers work things out for the big show.

Or if you're HBK circa WM 14, you have Triple H work your opponent and do the exact same match at Mania.

BearPawB

Banned
Don't forget tonight's Ultimate, BearPawB, headlined by Frank Mir vs. Bigfoot Silva, with the winner fighting Brock Lesnar in October.

I used to be hugely into UFC.
But over the past 2 years or so I have almost completely fallen off.

It is funny. The decline of boxing got me into UFC, but i think the decline of UFC is part of what made me seek out wrestling. That and my twitter feed wouldn't shut up about it. And I thought Lesnar was so compelling in the UFC, I started paying attention a bit when he came back to the WWE.

I thought more recent rumors said he didn't want to fight in the UFC anymore do to concussion/injury concerns?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I think Yoshiko is either going to be blackballed from joshi wrestling because this isn't the 80s anymore, or she's going to get a match with Kimura. and by a match, I mean Kimura is going to go Yasuhiro Kojima on her.

Keep in mind what Yoshiko went after. The eye that Act just got fixed. This was as purposeful as you can get.
Started watching the latest DDT show from the Saitama super arena. They drew a pretty big crowd!. Glad DDT is finding success

Takagi found a formula that works. TNA could stand to learn from him that you can be a huge draw, but you need to provide something different.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Apparently it was real morbid after the STARDOM show. No one showed up until Io and Hiroyo did to try to perk things up. Super weird.

I have a trip to Japan planned and was thinking about going to a DDT show. is it worth going to?

Absolutely. It's actually fun and playful not just like 'says it's fun and playful.' And you might get a chance to see Sakuraba.

dream

I don't know, Data West. For starters, we don't know what turned the match into a shootfight. Perhaps Act provoked Yoshiko?

Either way, I think this is a clear example of the Bischoffian tenet of Controversy Creates Cash. You now have a champion who is not just a monster heel, but a shooter who will legitimately hurt you. That is money, and I think a worked shoot rematch could fill the Tokyo Dome.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Didn't worked shoot matches basically turn Japan from the undisputed capital of pro wrasslin to a country of indie promotions? 20% of Japan watched a match with Bam Bam Big Yellow in it and now less than 20 years later NJPW is basically a super indie and everyone else is ROH level or below.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know, Data West. For starters, we don't know what turned the match into a shootfight. Perhaps Act provoked Yoshiko?

Either way, I think this is a clear example of the Bischoffian tenet of Controversy Creates Cash. You now have a champion who is not just a monster heel, but a shooter who will legitimately hurt you. That is money, and I think a worked shoot rematch could fill the Tokyo Dome.

Yoshiko won the fight as soon as she laid the first punch going by reports. She could have put her down and been done with it after the first hit going by reports.

Kimura could legit hurt anyone in that roster, so she'd be a way better choice if they wanted to do that. She has that Brock Lesnar appeal and not that 'hefty pissed off bully who would get killed by someone real' JBL appeal that Yoshiko has.
Jun kasai is disgusting. Imagine dustys head from head to toe

Girls love him. Not even kidding.

dream

Yoshiko won the fight as soon as she laid the first punch going by reports. She could have put her down and been done with it after the first hit going by reports.

Kimura could legit hurt anyone in that roster, so she'd be a way better choice if they wanted to do that. She has that Brock Lesnar appeal and not that 'hefty pissed off bully who would get killed by someone real' JBL appeal that Yoshiko has.

Girls love him. Not even kidding.

Isn't Kimura a real shooter too? I think I remember her working Pancrase. Imagine if Kimura went for revenge on behalf of Act. World of Stardom would have their Wrestlemania-level main event with Yoshiko vs. Kimura for the World Championship.

Until Act fans whine and complain enough to get it changed to a three way, anyway...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Isn't Kimura a real shooter too? I think I remember her working Pancrase. Imagine if Kimura went for revenge on behalf of Act. World of Stardom would have their Wrestlemania-level main event with Yoshiko vs. Kimura for the World Championship.

Until Act fans whine and complain enough to get it changed to a three way, anyway...

I don't know. All the ingredients here capitalizing on this controversy point to Brock breaking Roman's orbital bone. Baby gurl.
Why did I Google him.

tumblr_naybf5BsGY1qf7xjao2_r1_500.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He'd be perfect for Vince actually. Puts his body through hell and never complains.
iBwIHT5KrHKLO.gif

Dude would work with a volleyball sized staph infection.

Thanks for the write up, made for a good read and it was interesting to see the parallels you've pulled between the different eras and their pushed 'The Guy'.

Thanks! I always enjoy examining the things I enjoy.

Also, as someone who doesn't follow joshi this whole situation seems disgusting and unprofessional.

Alucard

Banned
My thoughts on all of the community talk:

-PPV OTs should always mention the WrassleGAF community and link to the latest thread
-I'm against the brand split. I think the talk in here is pretty varied overall, and it's fine
-The name of the thread is fine. Those who care enough to find it are already here or will find it in future
-OPs should be as comprehensive and welcoming as possible
-WWE coverage in the OP should be the first promotion mentioned, but shouldn't be overly long

That's what I've got for now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sakuraba is supposed to be working more DDT shows this year along with Kasai. If I could see both, that'd be better than being that grown man in the Daniel Bryan commercial.

dream

Thanks! I always enjoy examining the things I enjoy.

Also, as someone who doesn't follow joshi this whole situation seems disgusting and unprofessional.

No, no, no, no, no. We can't think that way. That's the sort of thinking that has led us to the pussification of everything. What happened with Yoshiko and Act IS puroresu, an echo of Maeda vs. Choshu. This is wrestling at its best.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No, no, no, no, no. We can't think that way. That's the sort of thinking that has led us to the pussification of everything. What happened with Yoshiko and Act IS puroresu, an echo of Maeda vs. Choshu. This is wrestling at its best.

This was more Meanie vs JBL than Kitao vs Tenta though.

Kimura will probably nail Yoshiko with a chair right to the head at the next show.

Nanae is going to pull some strings. Rousey vs Yoshiko.

dream

This was more Meanie vs JBL than Kitao vs Tenta though.

Kimura will probably nail Yoshiko with a chair right to the head at the next show.

Nanae is going to pull some strings. Rousey vs Yoshiko.

Which is good! Pro wrestling has suffered without unprotected chair shots. Act vs. Yoshiko has given me hope again because I see all sorts of potential for pro wrestling to be tough again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom