• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie OD

The idea of Bryan not being on the Mania card is making me laugh.

But the sad fact is, it's entirely possible he won't be. It's unbelievable.

Remember when Ziggler was the star of the Raw after Mania 29. Fast forward one year later and he was jobbing to Ryback on Superstars the night after Mania 30. The fall is quick.

Remember when Ziggler was the star of the Raw after Mania 29. Fast forward one year later and he was jobbing to Ryback on Superstars the night after Mania 30. The fall is quick.

I wonder how far Roman will fall next year at Mania?

Probably in the main event against The Rock.

Marvel

could never
Almost every time I wake up a motherfucker from here is banned. What Freck do this time and is it perm?

About to watch FL.

Hasney

I wonder how far Roman will fall next year at Mania?

Probably in the main event against The Rock.

QTFgj8q.png

Watched Inspire Pro's Relentless show from last August, this was my first event from the promotion. I've heard nothing but good things so far and am glad to find it lived up to expectations, this was a real solid indie card with a bit of everything and no match outstaying its welcome or trying to do too much. There were a number of screwy endings throughout which detracted a bit from the ending angle, but that's a minor nitpick as there were a lot of things to enjoy on this show. The first big highlight was Athena vs Barbi Hayden. My first time seeing Barbi and she impressed. A bit rough around the edges, but she's only 24 and already has a great character for wrestling that she Playstations up to very well. Athena is without a doubt one of the top women wrestlers in the world, she's so damn crisp in her execution and always a pleasure to watch perform. I also LOVED the Jojo Bravo vs Jordan Jensen match, these two clearly know each other well and put on a real enjoyable back-and-forth contest. Bravo is super impressive, already I'm a fan. He's got some unique offence in his bag, everything's executed well and he's got a lot of innate charisma that the audience obviously responds to. The main event was well done and I was very impressed with Matthew Palmer, looks like a future indie star in the making. Andy Dalton was solid as hell too, great shitheel of a character. Elsewhere, two dudes had a crazy street fight that I probably would have enjoyed more with the benefit of backstory and I found Jax Dane to be pretty good when he's not visibly shitting himself because he's wrestling in front of thousands of fans in Japan. Also, if you like the sound of Lance Archer abusing Brandon Stroud, this is the show for you. Have some gifs;

8VJt4j8.gif

Ff1GORC.gif

eqpUXGL.gif

Glad to see you got a chance to watch some Inspire. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Inspire Pro is very "continuing storyline"-heavy by indies standards (it's part of trying to honor the tradition of Texas wrestling, which is traditionally very storyline/character development heavy) which is tricky, but if you stick with the product, it usually pays off in a statisfying way for the fans. Relentless was kinda a transitional card in terms of some angles/characters too. So I can see a first-timer finding some of the finishes screwy, especially the angle with The Holleywood Knives, which probably made no sense to you, but was actually kinda a big deal. (Steve O Reno is actually now probably the most over young babyface in the company.)

That's a totally fair point. But I hope you'll stick with it.

Another thing I think you'll like if you keep watching is the XX Division. inspire Pro does a great job, with like every second or third show being really heavily focussed on women. Not "women's shows," like its a gimmick, but just shows that happen to have like around half the matches being women. We are blessed to have some really good women as regulars--Athena, Jessica James, Kat Green, Barbi, ect. And then we get a ton of out-of-state talent coming in--Veda Scott, Leva Bates, (multiple times) Mia Yim, and recently Angelus Layne, Nicole Savoy (who tore it DOWN with Athena last week and was AMAZING for a woman who's only been wrestling like a year) and The Mountain, Vanessa Kraven.

Everybody loves Jojo Bravo. The dude oozes entertainment. I can't wait for you to see his tag team match with ACH vs. Silver Ant and Fire Ant of The Colony from BattleWars. I also can't wait for you to see Keith Lee, who is my current favorite monster/"hoss" on probably the entire planet.

Matthew Palmer has been a great worker in Central And North Texas for a number of years. Glad more people are finally getting to see him through Inspire Pro sorta breaking out on a more national-exposure level and with a few recent spots he's had in Beyond. Dude is great and needs to be seen by everybody.

The "two dudes in the street fight" were Mr. B and Scotty Santiago. Scotty is currently on a long tour of Mexico (been there a number of months) and I personally can't wait until he returns to Texas.

So cool that people thousands of miles away can see my favorite local promotion, and vice-versa.

I think Meltzer's perspective is kind of in-line with my own on the whole Reigns situation. They are determined to put this guy on top, and everyone in power except the guy making the decision knows it's a bad idea. So the entertainment will be derived from watching them screw it up so blatently. But in the end it might not matter because WWE is in a position where the brand is more over than any of the guys, so the ratings and revenue will never shift too dramatically irrelevant of what they do.

Xater

So I don't really follow WWE but I am watching Fastlane out of curiosity. So I hear what the Paige/Nikki storyline is and I can't believe it. Did they seriously do a body shaming storyline with Paige? Ugh...

Jamie OD

She might get fired but she'll get hired somewhere else and they'll try to turn it into an angle. Remember, this is the same industry that turned Misawa's death into an angle and involved a suicidal wrestler in it. And truthfully, Joshi have always been worse than mens wrestling about trying to permanently injure someone they don't like. Keep in mind the women who trained the last generation. It has only just recently gotten to be a safe promotion to work for now that the drawing power isn't there so MOST PEOPLE aren't so paranoid about their spot.

Get ready for Yoshiko to do a run-in at Oz Academy.

I actually did have a thought this morning about Yoshiko getting blacklisted only to come back in a few years time and become the joshi Brock Lesnar. Something like DDT out of the blue announces Saki Akai Vs Yoshiko and everyone's reaction is Akai's gonna get killed!

On a side note I don't think DDT will bring in Yoshiko nor do I want them to. DDT has a decent relationship with Stardom so I think they'd be on their side of the matter.

Xater

Also this main event is not that great. I am kinda bored by it. Roman not even able to have a great match with Bryan.

According to Meltzer, some of the names that are penciled in for the Hall of Fame this year are The Bushwhackers, Ray Stevens, Kevin Nash, and Medusa.

So how was the Reigns reaction?

I cannot muster up a single ounce of enthusiasm for WrestleMania, which is just fucking sad. This is going to be the first one since XIX I have no plans to watch.

Hasney

Raw should be good tonight. And Lesnar's on too!

Yup! We'll likely have Roman Reigns with a microphone! Daniel Bryan getting kicked in the face by a ginger Irishman! John Cena letting Rusev know he could have beaten him if he hadn't wanted to touch his genitals with his foot because he swings that way! Seth Rollins looking like a pussy because that's what heels do!

And much more after the Authority takes up 20 minutes of the opening of the show!

So how was the Reigns reaction?

I cannot muster up a single ounce of enthusiasm for WrestleMania, which is just fucking sad. This is going to be the first one since XIX I have no plans to watch.
The crowd seemed pretty split at the beginning, but by the end they seemed like they were behind Bryan. Reigns got some boos at the end but honestly the crowd was dreadful and was fucking dead the entire night.

Yup! We'll likely have Roman Reigns with a microphone! Daniel Bryan getting kicked in the face by a ginger Irishman! John Cena letting Rusev know he could have beaten him if he hadn't wanted to touch his genitals with his foot because he swings that way! Seth Rollins looking like a pussy because that's what heels do!

And much more after the Authority takes up 20 minutes of the opening of the show!

And Bray Wyatt with another cryptic promo!

I feel like WWE would be missing out if they dont do a Bray Wyatt + Stardust program in the near future. I bet those two could

I guess it depends on what the plan is for Cody after this Goldust feud is done. Since Vince loves his trademarked characters I cant see him going back to using his actual name again.

Cody in general is kind of underrated as a worker. Last nights promo kind of reminded me of his Dr Doom phase which as also great. The stardust stuff has hit its peak. Its time for another change.

Also I damn. Cody has had so many gimmicks now that I think about it.

Cody Rhodes. CAW template #2 as part of The Legacy
Dashing Cody Rhodes.
Undashing Cody Rhodes.
Mustache Cody Rhodes
That guy who hangs around with Gold dust
And Stardust which has also had its own character arch as its progressed.

Its kind of cool to see a character with actual development and stuff.

Xater

Such exciting timezzzzzzz.....

Seriously WM is pretty uninteresting to me this year. Looks like WM of wasted opportunities.

Striker

Cody right as he was starting to team with Goldust was great. His match with Randy was one of the better ones that I can remember in 2013. Cody can go. Booking has never been on his side in those 'big' matches sans that one particular one.

I suppose I'll watch Fastlane out of curiosity since this is the Free month.

Cody right as he was starting to team with Goldust was great. His match with Randy was one of the better ones that I can remember in 2013. Cody can go. Booking has never been on his side in those 'big' matches sans that one particular one.

I suppose I'll watch Fastlane out of curiosity since this is the Free month.

I remember his wrestlemania feud with Rey Mysterio was pretty decent. Or maybe it was just the sweet delayed superplex from that match making me forget the build.

I think thats what was started him wearing the mask? Rey 619'd him in the nose or something.

kiguel182

Fastlane was a pretty good Raw episode.

I could comment the whole show but it really isn't needed. The main event was, in isolation, a good match. Bryan really can make anyone shine.

But yeah, WWE won't see my money in April. I probably won't even stay up to watch it. I guess that's what I took from this event.

I think Meltzer's perspective is kind of in-line with my own on the whole Reigns situation. They are determined to put this guy on top, and everyone in power except the guy making the decision knows it's a bad idea. So the entertainment will be derived from watching them screw it up so blatently. But in the end it might not matter because WWE is in a position where the brand is more over than any of the guys, so the ratings and revenue will never shift too dramatically irrelevant of what they do.

This is sort of where I am. It's actually kind of hilarious at this point to watch their ineptitude on display. Not hilarious enough for me to want to continue paying for their product however.

Striker

Six man tag was ok. Felt like all the six man tags you'd frequently see on Raw/Smackdown.

Cody-Goldust was also fine, albeit longer than it should've been. Lol the ref pin botch.

Alucard

Banned
Not sure if I'll be watching Raw tonight. I've accepted that my WWE viewing habits will be pretty sporadic. I doubt I'll ever say "I'm NEVER watching again," but my watching will mostly be indifferent and irregular with the current direction.

The sad part is Reigns could be what they want him to be but the "Cena-Too" cocky asshole face booking he has been getting since Summerlam just makes him unlikeable to a large chunk of the audience.

Its a big reason why most faces in recent years have fallen flat. WWE books them all to be total dickheads.

Huh. Now that I think about it Reigns is totally the next Sheamus.

My friend said he needs to take a break from wwe for a while after that ppv last night :lol

Fuck it I'm still watching mania though. How bad can it be?

Aiii

So not worth it
Sure I'll watch Mania, it's only 9,99 and I'm keeping the Network for the Hall of Fame Ceremony anyways.

Besides, live commenting on Mania with GAF is always a good time.

All I hope is that they have Rollins cash in at Mania and don't wait until Raw, I'd like a cash-in at Mania for once.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sure I'll watch Mania, it's only 9,99 and I'm keeping the Network for the Hall of Fame Ceremony anyways.

Besides, live commenting on Mania with GAF is always a good time.

All I hope is that they have Rollins cash in at Mania and don't wait until Raw, I'd like a cash-in at Mania for once.
Protip: Wait until March 28th to renew your sub. You'll get the ceremony, Wrestlemania, and Extreme Rules for $9.99.

I still don't like how he uses the shield theme :(

That should've been retired until the inevitable shield reunion
He took the shields theme, kept their signature ring attire, and even uses a modified version of their catchphrase. They took the shield's popularity, and tried to associate it all with Roman.

He's gotten the rub from the rock, and daniel Bryan.

All of this and he still gets his ass boo'd quite a lot.

Could they push him any more? Could they be more tone deaf in terms of fan response?

Alucard

Banned
Reigns and Bryan was a solid 3.5/5 match for me last night. The forearm strikes were a nice touch. I'm almost positive they were Bryan's idea. I have insider knowledge.

Brock vs Reigns
Cena Vs Rusev
Triple H vs Sting
Bray vs Undertaker
Orton vs Rollins

Divas match
Ambrose vs BNB
Tag Title Match
Bryan vs Ziggler most likely with the possibility of it being Sheamus or even a triple threat.
Miz vs Mizdow
battle royal

-Brock can't carry Reigns. I expect a dull brawl
-CenawinsLOL
-Sting is old, average brawl. Hopefully tshirt Sting doesn't show up.
-Undertaker is broken. Should be fun to watch though.
-Rollins is on another level compared to Borton. He'll probably job too..ugh
-piss break
-most likely forgettable
-see above
-MOTN that has no story nor a good build
-piss break
-won't live up to last year.

Minus 5 stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom