• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

I'm also very confused as to why they did Reigns/Bryan at all. It didn't help either guy and it probably pissed people off Re: Roman more

Did you listen to Cole's commentary after the match? "Reigns has redeemed himself, proved he is the one to main event WM, etc". If you want to know the intended reaction, the commentary always spells out out how you are "supposed" to react.

Basically they somehow thought this would satisfy everyone that thinks Reigns is rubbish and make them fans.

Sephzilla

Okay, two things on this beautiful Monday morning:

1. Having seen footage now, the Act vs. Yoshiko thing looks like a stiff work to me.
2. Seeing people say "Daniel Bryan should have kicked out of the spear because Roman Reigns kicked out of the Shining Wizard" makes me realize that WWE has conditioned their audience very well with their terrible 50/50 booking style in which nobody really looks strong because everyone gets a chance to win.

If one person is allowed to kick out of finishers then I want both people to be allowed to kick out of finishers. Otherwise there should be no kicking out of finishers, period.

kiguel182

Yeah, I think that was the idea. The reality was that it showed that Roman can be carried through a decent match. Lesnar/Roman is going to stink.

They aren't doing that match because HHH needs his ego fed, probably.

Nah, I don't buy that.

If Taker wanted the match it would happen. Taker is Taker after all.

I really feel that they want the biggest matchups for next year since it's on that gigantic stadium. Even if Sting and Undertaker will be even older by then. It's also in Takers hometown so it's a good place to retire.

Vestal

Okay, two things on this beautiful Monday morning:

2. Seeing people say "Daniel Bryan should have kicked out of the spear because Roman Reigns kicked out of the Shining Wizard" makes me realize that WWE has conditioned their audience very well with their terrible 50/50 booking style in which nobody really looks strong because everyone gets a chance to win.

I have no problem with someone kicking out of a finisher as long as the match is BOOKED right and it makes sense.. If the offense had been 50/50 last night I have no problem with it.

However last night, Bryan was the one beating on Reigns for most of the match looking like the better man, set him up for the Knee and he kicks out.

Flip over to the spear, and it was an out of no where spear boom done and done.

Scottify

If one person is allowed to kick out of finishers then I want both people to be allowed to kick out of finishers. Otherwise there should be no kicking out of finishers, period.

I agree with this. It really weakens the one person if his finisher is kicked out of and he can't kick out of his opponent's. Personally, I think kicking it of finishers should be a very, very rare occurence anyway.

Did you listen to Cole's commentary after the match? "Reigns has redeemed himself, proved he is the one to main event WM, etc". If you want to know the intended reaction, the commentary always spells out out how you are "supposed" to react.

Basically they somehow thought this would satisfy everyone that thinks Reigns is rubbish and make them fans.
Is there anything that would really satisfy anyone though? They're not telling you how you're supposed to react, they're telling you the reason they're having the match.

XenoRaven

It's one thing to be proud of yourself for winning a fight. It's another thing entirely to just start punching a person in the face who is considerably smaller than you when they're not really expecting it. Pathetic.

Either way I fully believe Roman does not leave WM31 with the title. Either Brock is going to win (if he re-signs) or Roman will beat Brock and then Rollins will immediately cash on and beat him.

No chance. If Roman is the next guy, then Mania is his "big moment", and there is no way he walks out of Mania looking like a chump.

They aren't doing that match because HHH needs his ego fed, probably.

Also, give this shit a rest. Taker-Sting isn't happening because it doesn't make any sense to do it this year. Who wins that match? Does Sting lose his debut, or does Taker lose two in a row? If Taker is 21-2, then both guys that beat him are less valuable than if it is just one. Next year, that match will make sense. This year, it doesn't. Get the dumb ego argument out.

RP912

Banned
The biggest wtf last night was a dq for the Ambrose/BnB match. WTF??

Remember when dq's were used at minimum during title matches?

Scottify

I didn't see the show last night. I went to go see Roseanne do stand up. Overall, how was the show? Worth watching some of the matches on the Network?

Sephzilla

Also, give this shit a rest. Taker-Sting isn't happening because it doesn't make any sense to do it this year. Who wins that match? Does Sting lose his debut, or does Taker lose two in a row? If Taker is 21-2, then both guys that beat him are less valuable than if it is just one. Next year, that match will make sense. This year, it doesn't. Get the dumb ego argument out.

WWE has hyped up the idea of Sting vs Taker multiple times in the past and built the two up as huge cornerstones of their respective companies (there's even a Monday Night War episode dedicated purely to those two), Sting has also said he wants to face Taker. Suddenly HHH comes in and starts a WWE vs WCW feud with Sting and proclaims that he is the absolute embodiment of WWE. This has HHH ego masturbation all over it.

Sting vs Taker is the absolute best match to have as a follow up for Undertaker's first Mania loss because of the massive unpredictability of it.

dream

But then match finishes become a matter of luck, not toughness. And it sets up a weird logic where someone like RKO would be unbeatable because he can hit his finisher before you can hit your finisher.

I agree with this. It really weakens the one person if his finisher is kicked out of and he can't kick out of his opponent's. Personally, I think kicking it of finishers should be a very, very rare occurence anyway.

But in a one-on-one contest, one wrestler SHOULD be weaker than the other wrestler. That's how pro wrestling worked before WWE conditioned their audience to have an "any given night" mentality. That's how you make stars. Hawk no-selling Lawler's piledriver is a good example.

Scottify

But in a one-on-one contest, one wrestler SHOULD be weaker than the other wrestler. That's how pro wrestling worked before WWE conditioned their audience to have an "any given night" mentality. That's how you make stars. Hawk no-selling Lawler's piledriver is a good example.

That's fair. You're right, one wrestler should be strong and one should be weak. I'm still of the mind that kicking out of someone's finisher should still be very rare and saved for special & important matches.

dream

Two more things:

1) nobody ever gave a shit about Undertaker vs. Sting until idiot fans misread a vignette and worked themselves into believing they want that match.
2) I guarantee you that Yoshiko will get "fired," then Act will campaign to rehire her so that she can get her revenge in a no ropes barbed wire match.

Sephzilla

Two more things:

1) nobody ever gave a shit about Undertaker vs. Sting until idiot fans misread a vignette and worked themselves into believing they want that match.
2) I guarantee you that Yoshiko will get "fired," then Act will campaign to rehire her so that she can get her revenge in a no ropes barbed wire match.

L O FUCKING L

dream

That's fair. You're right, one wrestler should be strong and one should be weak. I'm still of the mind that kicking out of someone's finisher should still be very rare and saved for special & important matches.

Don't you think that Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan was a special and important enough match to do that?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody in their right mind would think Sting vs Taker would be a match worth a shit.

WWE has hyped up the idea of Sting vs Taker multiple times in the past and built the two up as huge cornerstones of their respective companies (there's even a Monday Night War episode dedicated purely to those two), Sting has also said he wants to face Taker. Suddenly HHH comes in and starts a WWE vs WCW feud with Sting and proclaims that he is the absolute embodiment of WWE. This has HHH ego masturbation all over it.

Sting vs Taker is the absolute best match to have as a follow up for Undertaker's first Mania loss because of the massive unpredictability of it.

I'm not saying the match doesn't make sense. It just doesn't make sense for this year. It would be bad booking. And probably a terrible match. It makes way more sense to do it next year in Dallas as a retirement match for both. Stop with the dumb Triple H hate. I'm all for tearing him down when he deserves it, and this is absolutely not one of those times.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
My predicted Mania card so far

Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar (c) - WWE Title
Sting vs HHH
Seth Rollins vs Randy Orton
Undertaker vs Bray Wyatt
The Usos vs Cesaro/Kidd (c) - Tag Titles
Dean Ambrose vs Bad News Barrett (c) - Intercontinental Title
John Cena vs Rusev (c) - US Title
Daniel Bryan vs Shaemus
Stardust vs Goldust
Paige vs Nikki Bella - Divas Title
Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal #2

I want to put Miz vs Mizdow on here but I think that might be a Raw after Mania type thing

That's also very possible.

How far back do you have to go to find a 1 v 1 Divas match on a Mania card?

Scottify

Don't you think that Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan was a special and important enough match to do that?

I dunno. It was important in that it was a chance at a WrestleMania main event, but something like that should be saved for the WM main event itself, IMO.

RP912

Banned
I seriously hope Sting's hip is ready for Trips spine buster :(. Dude going to be ultra safe to put over the Stinger.

I seriously can't believe this match is really happening and on what grounds and purpose?

Sting hitting Trips at SS because???
Sting pointing at Trips why?
Trips wanting to wrestle Stinger on different grounds other than the punch?
Monday Night War bullshit in 2015 is a good storyline?
WCW mentioning but fuck that dead company right?

this is why I went heel and just read the reactions. If it wasn't for my wife wanting desperately to see the last two matches...I would have continued to try to understand what Togi was saying during that hour long special on NJPWorld.

Sephzilla

I'm not saying the match doesn't make sense. It just doesn't make sense for this year. It would be bad booking. And probably a terrible match. It makes way more sense to do it next year in Dallas as a retirement match for both. Stop with the dumb Triple H hate. I'm all for tearing him down when he deserves it, and this is absolutely not one of those times.

My first comment of it that you quoted was literally my first negative comment I've made about HHH at all during the Sting feud. Did I accidentally trigger a Hiatch fan?

For the record, I don't think HHH vs Sting will be any better than what Taker vs Sting would be mostly because HHH wouldn't be able to use the same arsenal of moves he used against Bryan last year because Sting is easily more fragile than Taker. I actually think Taker's offense compliments what Sting can take and dish out more than HHH. And from a storyline and general "awesome hype moment" perspective, I feel like the cool Sting stuff they've done has been wasted on HHH. All of the cool multiple-Stings and HHH having face paint stuff would work better in a Taker feud because Taker could then turn around and try to one-up it.

I wonder if WWE commentary would improve if they didn't know the finishes? Maybe they would be more invested in the match or get excited for big spots.

Xater

so, does HHH beat Sting to complete the burial of WCW?

Does anyone really care? I kinda don't give a shit what the result of that match is going to be. It's kinda just there. Also thought the thing on Fastlane was so lame. In the past that would have been a segment on RAW.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if WWE commentary would improve if they didn't know the finishes? Maybe they would be more invested in the match or get excited for big spots.

I honestly don't believe they do. They're supposed to call it as they see it with guidance from the back on what to spend more time on and enhance and put over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom