• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

I wonder if WWE commentary would improve if they didn't know the finishes? Maybe they would be more invested in the match or get excited for big spots.

I think if they didn't know the finishes and called matches on the fly Cole would probably become confused and trip over himself.

Zach

Okay, two things on this beautiful Monday morning:

1. Having seen footage now, the Act vs. Yoshiko thing looks like a stiff work to me.
2. Seeing people say "Daniel Bryan should have kicked out of the spear because Roman Reigns kicked out of the Shining Wizard" makes me realize that WWE has conditioned their audience very well with their terrible 50/50 booking style in which nobody really looks strong because everyone gets a chance to win.

This made me think of something I find irritating, and it's really nothing, but whatever. I hate when there's, like, a four-way match for a belt, right? And the commentators are like "the champion only has a 25% chance of winning!" Uhhh... Why? Because all of these guys are exactly the same and everyone has the same chance of winning? What? Why am I watching this then? I dunno. It just cheapens everything and everyone -- namely the champion -- ends up looking like a bum.

I just hate the commentary in WWE. Almost as much as I hate the shaky zoom cam.

dream

I'm just imagining Sting showing up in his TNA bandleader outfit and Undertaker taking a 25 min stroll to the ring wearing his super shredder outfit... maybe the direction they took for this year is better.

Don't forget the promo, where Stinger kills the entire gimmick by telling everyone that "the Stinger is going to take care of that big, stinky, nasty Undertaker because it's showtime folks! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

I think if they didn't know the finishes and called matches on the fly Cole would probably become confused and trip over himself.

Do you REALLY want to hear the current commentary team improvise that much?

Good points.

Maybe with a better commentary team.

I honestly don't believe they do. They're supposed to call it as they see it with guidance from the back on what to spend more time on and enhance and put over.

Interesting. I have always just assumed they knew.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A task they fail regularly.

Do they? You just mentioned how Cole was crafting the narrative he was told to make - sounds like they're doing it successfully. Whether or not your jaded WWE hating heart wants to believe it though...

RP912

Banned
Why do surfer sting gets so much hate around these parts :/?

Yall tearing me apart. Surfer sting had the better matches and can cut reasonable promos. Don't get me wrong Crow Sting was amazing, but to shit on the gimmick that made him a household name is just plain wrong.

I'm not ashamed to say I liked pre return jbl on commentary for smackdown, when he told wrestling stories and put over guys like regal and Taylor

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He beat Lesnar at 29 which is actually the last match I remember him winning.

Shit, that was at 29? For some reason I thought he did that at Summerslam, but that was something else.

Well hell besides that one! I think his Mania record is pretty heavy in the L section as of late.

I didn't think it was possible, but I've finally found a reputable indie that runs in a dingier shithole than AIW do;

Sp2PXhS.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yall tearing me apart. Surfer sting had the better matches and can cut reasonable promos. Don't get me wrong Crow Sting was amazing, but to shit on the gimmick that made him a household name is just plain wrong.

Some people have no taste. Count me among the Surfer Sting Is The Best Sting household.

My first comment of it that you quoted was literally my first negative comment I've made about HHH at all during the Sting feud. Did I accidentally trigger a Hiatch fan?

For the record, I don't think HHH vs Sting will be any better than what Taker vs Sting would be mostly because HHH wouldn't be able to use the same arsenal of moves he used against Bryan last year because Sting is easily more fragile than Taker. I actually think Taker's offense compliments what Sting can take and dish out more than HHH. And from a storyline and general "awesome hype moment" perspective, I feel like the cool Sting stuff they've done has been wasted on HHH. All of the cool multiple-Stings and HHH having face paint stuff would work better in a Taker feud because Taker could then turn around and try to one-up it.

Did you miss the part where I said I'm all for hating on Triple H when he deserves it? I've openly criticized Hunter for a lot of dumb shit he's done in the past, but this is not one of those scenarios. Being mad because Triple H is proclaiming that he is the "heartbeat of WWE" is what's supposed to happen. He's a heel. He says ridiculous and unbelievable stuff. And if you honestly think Triple H and Sting won't have a better match than Taker and Sting would, then you are deluding yourself. Of all the Mania matches to complain about, this is not one of them.

kiguel182

This made me think of something I find irritating, and it's really nothing, but whatever. I hate when there's, like, a four-way match for a belt, right? And the commentators are like "the champion only has a 25% chance of winning!" Uhhh... Why? Because all of these guys are exactly the same and everyone has the same chance of winning? What? Why am I watching this then? I dunno. It just cheapens everything and everyone -- namely the champion -- ends up looking like a bum.

I just hate the commentary in WWE. Almost as much as I hate the shaky zoom cam.

That's not exclusive to the WWE. There are a lot of people that say "every team has a 50 per cent chance of winning the match".

A lot of people just don't know how probability works.

Cagey

Banned
I'd be a lying little smark if I pretended to have cared for Sting in WCW.

He was the guy with the face paint who stole Bret Hart's move and then he became the guy with the face paint who showed up with a baseball bat for some reason. Later he became the guy with the face paint in TNA. I can't recall a single match of Sting's I remember watching in the past 15 years, though I'm sure I watched some.

I've never felt strongly enough about Sting to have an opinion about Sting.

Not likely to start now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I honestly think the only reason they didn't do Sting/Taker is because they don't want to Taker to lose 2 years in a row or for Sting to lose his debut. Sting beating HHH this year and jobbing to Taker at 32 is probably a better option from his standpoint.

Guys, I want to let you know that I greatly enjoyed Ziggles getting the Kane and Show combo, might've been the best part of the PPV.

I didn't have high hopes for that Fastlane (well who did?) but man I've got to admit, I did at least have expectations for the Dust Duo and IC title match, they just didn't come together and both ended like they were booked for an episode of Smackdown. I'd honestly go for WM rematches without the shitty endings and better build but I think they'd have a hard time getting on the card with all those video packages and comedy segments that use the extra hour.

I wonder if WWE commentary would improve if they didn't know the finishes? Maybe they would be more invested in the match or get excited for big spots.
I thought the commentary was fine last night for the most part, can't say I was paying attention to it 100% all the time but I don't recall anything very painful.

Wait, I think King might have said something lame but that's par for the course.

Don't forget the promo, where Stinger kills the entire gimmick by telling everyone that "the Stinger is going to take care of that big, stinky, nasty Undertaker because it's showtime folks! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

This is EXACTLY what he would say, lol.

RP912

Banned

He was the guy with the face paint who stole Bret Hart's move and then he became the guy with the face paint who showed up with a baseball bat for some reason. Later he became the guy with the face paint in TNA. I can't recall a single match of Sting's I remember watching in the past 15 years, though I'm sure I watched some.

Not likely to start now.

So you mean to tell me that his matches with Rude, Vader, and even Flair didn't get passed the conception of "the guy with the facepaint".

Sure the scorpion deathlock is a poor man's sharpshooter but he still had some five star matches.

Surfer Sting is objectively the best Sting, as far as I'm concerned. Better matches, better promos and the best of the 'superman' wrestlers of that era. Also, best theme;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MHQ69yLVGI

"I just...I don't know. I don't know what they're doing. Maybe they're trying to...I mean if that's the direction they're going, but...I don't know."

Spot on Melty impression, I love it Maggle.

Scottify

The announcers today are too neutral to me. JBL will sometimes stick up for the heel, but also tends to praise the face too.

As a three-man team I think that Cole should be the neutral party, JBL the heel side and Booker the face side. That would make it so much more interesting.

I loved it when Jesse Ventura praised all the heels no matter what they did, same with Bobby Heenan.

Sephzilla

Did you miss the part where I said I'm all for hating on Triple H when he deserves it? I've openly criticized Hunter for a lot of dumb shit he's done in the past, but this is not one of those scenarios. Being mad because Triple H is proclaiming that he is the "heartbeat of WWE" is what's supposed to happen. He's a heel. He says ridiculous and unbelievable stuff. And if you honestly think Triple H and Sting won't have a better match than Taker and Sting would, then you are deluding yourself. Of all the Mania matches to complain about, this is not one of them.

*Shrug* I really don't think HHH vs Sting is going to be a good match, or at least anything better than what Taker vs Sting could deliver in its place.

Cagey

Banned
So you mean to tell me that his matches with Rude, Vader, and even Flair didn't get passed the conception of "the guy with the facepaint".

Sure the scorpion deathlock is a poor man's sharpshooter but he still had some five star matches.

I was 7 in 1993 and I didn't watch WCW until Nitro. I didn't care about Crow Sting, I just knew he existed and would pop up on TV from time to time and interact with nWo. I've never actively wanted a Sting v. Taker match because I never cared about Sting.

My only fond memory of Sting is having a Sting action figure I found at a garage sale with my grandfather when I was a little kid, and learning who it was after getting it.

I'm not saying Sting was bad. I'm saying he never mattered to me. At this point, his relevancy is "he never went to WWE".

The announcers today are too neutral to me. JBL will sometimes stick up for the heel, but also tends to praise the face too.

As a three-man team I think that Cole should be the neutral party, JBL the heel side and Booker the face side. That would make it so much more interesting.

I loved it when Jesse Ventura praised all the heels no matter what they did, same with Bobby Heenan.

See but Ventura and Heenan justified why. Lawler on commentary did the whole "warping reality to suit the heels" thing and it just got super annoying. That and heel Lawler was a psychopathic sadist

Sephzilla

Basically that Vince is making a mistake and everyone around him knows he is making a mistake but he is so goddamn determined to make that mistake that we might as well enjoy watching him make a bad decision.

If everyone knows its a mistake then they collectively need to find their nuts and tell Vince it's a mistake. Right now they're as much a part of the problem as Vince.

RP912

Banned

this...

The thing about heel announcers back in the day was the fact that they had logic out of the ass. It used to be funny when Gorilla would overly praised the faces despite them being dickish in the matches and Jesse would expose the fact that the faces were cheating, yet Gorilla would say some shit like "would you stop that!".

I miss that. A perfect exchange and good storytelling compared to shilling and making the wrestlers look like C plus students trying to get recognition.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Not likely to start now.
I have very fond memories of him in WcW. I would have listed him as my #2.

I didn't give two shits about his TNA run though. I don't believe I watched more than 15 minutes of it.

I can't say I cared about Undertaker growing up. I was team WcW during the attitude era and disliked his American Badass gimmick. I definitly have respect for him these days and looking back though.

Heroman

Banned
*Shrug* I really don't think HHH vs Sting is going to be a good match, or at least anything better than what Taker vs Sting could deliver in its place.

While I want sting vs taker it makes more sense to have next year since thye got to fill 100000 seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom