• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feds: Gang membership up as crime alliances grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

WASHINGTON (AP) — The gang problem in the United States is growing and there are an estimated 1.4 million members in some 33,000 gangs, the federal government said Friday.

Gangs are collaborating with transnational drug trafficking organizations to make more money and are expanding the range of their illicit activities, engaging in mortgage fraud and counterfeiting as well as trafficking in guns and drugs, according to the national gang threat assessment for 2011.

Gang membership "continues to flourish" and gang leaders are striking new alliances with other criminal organizations for profit, FBI agent Jayne Challman told reporters during a briefing at FBI headquarters.

The gang member estimate of 1.4 million was up from 1 million two years ago, a 40 percent increase, but the report attributed the rise in part to improved reporting by law enforcement agencies.

White-collar crime is an increasing focus for gangs. The report cited the arrest of a member in a Los Angeles gang called Florencia 13 for operating a lab that manufactured pirated video games.

A member of the East Coast Crips in Los Angeles co-owned a clothing store, using it to sell counterfeit goods and traffic in drugs, and members of the Bloods in San Diego were charged with racketeering and mortgage fraud, said the report by the National Gang Intelligence Center, a multiagency effort led by the FBI.

In an example of an alliance, the Nine Trey Gangster Bloods worked with the Lucchese organized crime family in New Jersey to smuggle drugs and cell phones into a prison.

On the West Coast, law enforcement officials in the state of Washington suspect that some
Asian gangs are involved with Asian organized crime and marijuana cultivating groups.
In southern California, 99 members of the Armenian Power gang suspected of ties to crime figures in Armenia, Russia and the nation of Georgia were charged with kidnapping, extortion, bank fraud and drug trafficking.

Gang membership is increasing most significantly in the Northeast and Southeast regions of the country and many communities are experiencing an increase in ethnic-based gangs such as African, Asian and Caribbean gangs, said the report, which is based on federal, state and local law enforcement data.

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-gang-membership-crime-alliances-grow-180417395.html

Bread

Banned
blame space said:
I think I could be in a gang.. what gang is the best to join?

Hey gangs, I'm available ;)
I'm starting a gang, and I'm looking for young rambunctious teens to cause trouble around my neighborhood. Would you be interested in a temp position?

Jenga

Banned
Bread said:
I'm starting a gang, and I'm looking for young rambunctious teens to cause trouble around my neighborhood. Would you be interested in a temp position?
can i join?

we can call it

the rambunctious peddling rapscallion internet brigade

JGS

Banned
A member of the East Coast Crips in Los Angeles co-owned a clothing store, using it to sell counterfeit goods and traffic in drugs, and members of the Bloods in San Diego were charged with racketeering and mortgage fraud
Greedy banker Crips...

Angry Fork

Your local police department is the best gang you can join.

30+k a year and goes up by 5-10k every year.
health/dental etc. benefits
if you fuck up on the job nothing happens, everyone's got your back no matter what
you have complete control over other people so they're all afraid and listen to whatever you say
retirement/pension at something like 45 i think? I don't remember but I know it's young
tazer old/mentally ill people if you're bored and feel like having some fun
break all traffic laws with or without putting your siren on, doesn't matter.
beat the shit out of teenagers/young people in interrogation rooms when you want some boxing practice, write it up later on that you brought him in like that, nobody's going to believe a criminals word over an officers
get a fast car that you can joy ride in if you want in the name of justice
you have to wear a shitty uniform for the first few years but if you're good you get to be a plain clothes detective and that's when the real fun begins

NYPD: Courtesy, Professionalism, Respect™

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Angry Fork said:

if you fuck up on the job nothing happens, everyone's got your back no matter what
you have complete control over other people so they're all afraid and listen to whatever you say
retirement/pension at something like 45 i think? I don't remember but I know it's young
beat the shit out of teenagers/young people in interrogation rooms when you want some boxing practice, write it up later on that you brought him in like that, nobody's going to believe a criminals word over an officers
you have to wear a shitty uniform for the first few years but if you're good you get to be a plain clothes detective and that's when the real fun begins

Tell us how you really feel.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Angry Fork said:

NYPD: Courtesy, Professionalism, Respect™
yBax7.gif

Jenga

Banned
Angry Fork said:
you can be the quiet anarchist dude of the gang who eventually loses it in the heat of a gunfight and kills everyone before turning the gun on himself

we'll post memorials on myspace for you and everything it'll be sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom