• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez |OT| Vita/PS3/PS4

Tizoc

Really enjoying the game but I wish the map wasn't so confusing to use. While I know where the
hub is
, Backtracking to find areas you missed out on is difficult when there are so many doors and you gotta remember which ones don't lead into a room.

StuBurns

Banned
Isn't that the
Monolith Room
?
Just googled it, apparently yeah.

It's just funny because
I've been flying to the top of rooms lots, and this is the only one I know of that's seemingly infinite (except the joke repeating tetris blocks one). Usually you fly for maybe twenty seconds then it just ends.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Really enjoying the game but I wish the map wasn't so confusing to use. While I know where the
hub is
, Backtracking to find areas you missed out on is difficult when there are so many doors and you gotta remember which ones don't lead into a room.
That's part of the games "adventure". It would've been boring if you could just fast-track anywhere.

Ridley327

Just googled it, apparently yeah.

It's just funny because
I've been flying to the top of rooms lots, and this is the only one I know of that's seemingly infinite (except the joke repeating tetris blocks one). Usually you fly for maybe twenty seconds then it just ends.

It's fitting that room is infinite, given the reference that the puzzle alludes to in there.

megalowho

hub is
It's helpful to pay attention to the background as you rotate - you will see the next location that a door on your current plane will take you to. If you don't see anything and there is still a door it will likely take you to an indoors area. Doesn't solve everything but helped me with navigation for sure.

StuBurns

Banned
It's fitting that room is infinite, given the reference that the puzzle alludes to in there.
I guess so.

Anyway, I've had a great time, got to 160%ish, but I think I'm done.

I was translating some of the puzzles, but it's so hard on the eyes, and such a time sink, I don't think it's worth it.

I had a great time, and I'd be interested in a Fez 2 if he ever made it.

Majmun

This game is soooooooooooooooo good. Can't believe I only payed €7.99 for it. And I can play it of three platforms. Such a steal.

K' Dash

Can anyone please tell me how to bring up the world map, please?

I'm 50% in the game and for the life of me I can't figure out how to see it, I've been memorizing everything so I don't get lost :(

mstevens

I knew I would like this game, but I'm blown away so far. So peaceful, charming and beautiful.

It's also the perfect palate cleanser for inFamous.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty subjective but how hard are the puzzles in the game? From some people I've heard it's incredibly difficult and the path to progression can be very obscure, but a lot of people seem to be able to play it just fine.

StuBurns

Banned
This is pretty subjective but how hard are the puzzles in the game? From some people I've heard it's incredibly difficult and the path to progression can be very obscure, but a lot of people seem to be able to play it just fine.
To get to 160% I really didn't have to think at all.

One puzzle's solution is so absurd there's practically no way an individual would solve it, but it's probably safe to assume it was built knowing people would build a community around solving its mysteries.

K' Dash

I love the ZERO hand holding there are some things that still don't understand, I haven't found artifacts yet, don't know for the life of me how to read those trasure maps, and various stones I've found seem to do something, but your companion don't know (or remember) shit about them.

Definetly the best game I've played on my PS4 tied with Res0gun.

Dragnet

So, I've found 35 cubes now (29 normal, 7 anticubes), is anything supposed to happen? Have I technically beaten the game? Nothing in particular happened, Dot mentioned something but I was super tired and I didn't pay attention, just feeling super lost and stuck right now I guess. Try keep any hints fairly vague if I'm heading into spoiler territory!

StuBurns

Banned
So, I've found 35 cubes now (29 normal, 7 anticubes), is anything supposed to happen? Have I technically beaten the game? Nothing in particular happened, Dot mentioned something but I was super tired and I didn't pay attention, just feeling super lost and stuck right now I guess. Try keep any hints fairly vague if I'm heading into spoiler territory!
There's a door you should go through...

http://i.stack.imgur.com/ioESG.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I heard this game is really complicated and, like, not fun unless you're willing to take a ton of notes and make spread sheets or something? I don't really remember what I heard, lol. Anyways, is that at all true? If so, it's probably better that I skip this game.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
sorry to say this but.. I feel this game is better than inFamous SS

I heard this game is really complicated and, like, not fun unless you're willing to take a ton of notes and make spread sheets or something? I don't really remember what I heard, lol. Anyways, is that at all true? If so, it's probably better that I skip this game.

No, that's only if you want to solve the optional mysteries. The core of the game is fairly simple platforming and puzzling, and you can get to the end without doing the other stuff (well, you can get one ending that way).

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So I'm at the Frog Waterfall and I have
the button input codes
translated on paper.
I found the glowing door that only illuminates around sunset but I have no idea where to input my code. I know about the cave behind the waterfall but I assume that'll reveal itself when I finish something else.
Do I have the wrong code? Or do I need to be a specific place?

Ridley327

So I'm at the Frog Waterfall and I have
the button input codes
translated on paper.
I found the glowing door that only illuminates around sunset but I have no idea where to input my code. I know about the cave behind the waterfall but I assume that'll reveal itself when I finish something else.
Do I have the wrong code? Or do I need to be a specific place?

You might have the wrong code, since that one is a bit tricky to read because of how close together some of the symbols are, potentially making them look like something else.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
You might have the wrong code, since that one is a bit tricky to read because of how close together some of the symbols are, potentially making them look like something else.
So the silliest thing happened. Because I wrote the pattern sideways instead of vertically like I told myself I'm supposed to, my translations were
180 degrees off
.Here's my worksheet if anyone cares. This current puzzle is the bottom one.

Does Fez ever get really picky where you input your codes?

I got 3 anti cubes including one totally by chance
two of them in a room with a puzzle based on blocks and perspective, and the other one by doing "R R L R R L L L " in the tower with the bell, I saw the achievement name and I've been doing this regularly -_-
Are the other anti cubes much harder to get ?

Siaynoqq

Finished it for the first time tonight with about 125%. I think I got like 3 anti-cubes purely by accident.

Played it almost every spare minute I had these last few days. Amazing game - haven't been hooked like this in a long time.

For everyone who is afraid to get it or just started and is overwhelmed: Stay with it. Just go at your own pace and enjoy the ride. You don't need to solve any mind-bending puzzles to finish the game once. I had almost zero issues first time around, but there is still a lot to be discovered. I really love how the game doesn't force the crazier puzzles on you -- not fully knowing what exactly it is you missed contributes to its mysterious vibe.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I managed to solve the Telescope one, my mind is BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN.

What helped me was the room with the Rosetta Stone that tells you what each of the Tetris shapes represents

Fucking in love this game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Glad people seem to be enjoying it, and super happy that the vita version gave me an excuse to replay it, even though I've completed it before :)

system11

I'd ignored the game when it came out on 360, just seemed a bit ridiculous to be dropping frames even during the intro 'pan down the column while rotating'. Enjoying it a lot on the PS4 though, what a great little game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
new game+ spoiler question
can you use the vitas gyroscope to look around in first person?

-PXG-

I bought this on 360 and PC but haven't actually played it until now, on the PS4. This game is utterly brilliant. The puzzles, the art and the ambient music. Everything is wonderful and pure genius.

Please, Phil, come back and do Fez 2.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No, that's only if you want to solve the optional mysteries. The core of the game is fairly simple platforming and puzzling, and you can get to the end without doing the other stuff (well, you can get one ending that way).
Sweet, thanks for clearing that up.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Only played 15 or so minutes since buying it, but im reallying enjoying this

worth the 7 quid

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
new game+ spoiler question
can you use the vitas gyroscope to look around in first person?

Don't think so.

So the silliest thing happened. Because I wrote the pattern sideways instead of vertically like I told myself I'm supposed to, my translations were
180 degrees off
.Here's my worksheet if anyone cares. This current puzzle is the bottom one.

Does Fez ever get really picky where you input your codes?

Generally no
there is an exception that you don't need to worry about at the time being.

-PXG-

I finished my first play through. Even though I got this game on the launch days on Xbox 360 and PC, I haven't bothered to actually play Fez until now on the PS4. This is easily one of the best, most refreshing, and technically and artistically sound games I've played in ages, or at least since Puppeteer.

This game was made by people who really love games and are truly inspired by them. It was made by people who have had a fondness for gaming their entire lives. You can just tell. The puzzles and level design are both engaging and thought provoking while the art and music are simplistically whimsical and soothing.

This is everything I want from a game. I want to escape. I want to get lost and explore. The head scratching and a ha moments, plus endless smirks and smiles solidifies and proves Fez is one of those truly special games that actually gets it. It encompasses what a game is and how to make it fun and memorable. I would love to make something like this. Not the same game, but one that evokes the same emotions and feelings I get from playing it.

Fez is a real treat. I implore Phil Fish to come to his senses and make Fez 2. If he is really that smart and talented, his drive and sheer urge to create will consume him. No artist or designer should ever deprive themselves of what they love and what they are meant to do. It would be an utter shame if we never see a sequel or at least something new.

Kaiken

Banned
I cant remember the last game I played where I got so involved and jotted notes and deciphered codes. Just got 209.4%. Although I got a lot of help from the internet I did at least put effort in trying a lot of these puzzles which became so rewarding when you figured them out yourself. Damn good game.

Number45

Enjoying this, but predictably stuck fairly early on. So that I don't bang my head against a wall unnecessarily - are there any bits that I won't be able to get early on, but will be able to reach later? There's one piece that seems like it should be easy but I can't work out how to get up to it.

StuBurns

Banned
Enjoying this, but predictably stuck fairly early on. So that I don't bang my head against a wall unnecessarily - are there any bits that I won't be able to get early on, but will be able to reach later? There's one piece that seems like it should be easy but I can't work out how to get up to it.
There are things you can't do first time you get to them, it's one of those games you should approach very stress free, if something doesn't click, move on. The deeper you go, the easier it is to traverse the world and the clearer it is where you've missed things.

Man, I can't get into this game. It feels like a casual-like game to me. I neven been able to like these types of games regardless of how good everyone say they are. Just aint my taste.

Number45

There are things you can't do first time you get to them, it's one of those games you should approach very stress free, if something doesn't click, move on. The deeper you go, the easier it is to traverse the world and the clearer it is where you've missed things.
Cool, thanks. Once I realised it was easy to see if you've completed a level (gold border on the map) I thought I'd just go through them one by one but if there are some I can't get now then I'll just move on if a solution doesn't present itself within a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not the best at puzzle games, so brick walls often see me putting them down.

Man, I can't get into this game. It feels like a casual-like game to me. I neven been able to like these types of games regardless of how good everyone say they are. Just aint my taste.
What makes you say that?

I wouldn't peg Fez as a casual game. It harks back to classic 8 bit titles albeit without lives. A million miles away from candy crush, flappy bird and the like.

wouwie

I finished my first play through. Even though I got this game on the launch days on Xbox 360 and PC, I haven't bothered to actually play Fez until now on the PS4. This is easily one of the best, most refreshing, and technically and artistically sound games I've played in ages, or at least since Puppeteer.

This game was made by people who really love games and are truly inspired by them. It was made by people who have had a fondness for gaming their entire lives. You can just tell. The puzzles and level design are both engaging and thought provoking while the art and music are simplistically whimsical and soothing.

This is everything I want from a game. I want to escape. I want to get lost and explore. The head scratching and a ha moments, plus endless smirks and smiles solidifies and proves Fez is one of those truly special games that actually gets it. It encompasses what a game is and how to make it fun and memorable. I would love to make something like this. Not the same game, but one that evokes the same emotions and feelings I get from playing it.

Fez is a real treat. I implore Phil Fish to come to his senses and make Fez 2. If he is really that smart and talented, his drive and sheer urge to create will consume him. No artist or designer should ever deprive themselves of what they love and what they are meant to do. It would be an utter shame if we never see a sequel or at least something new.

My sentiments exactly. It took me a while to fully appreciate the game but once i understood how to play and learned how to use the map, i absolutely loved it. I'm not finished yet (luckily) so i can't wait to continue playing tonight. An absolute highlight in my game collection (up there with games like Braid and Limbo).

I never followed the controversy surrounding the creator of this game but he definately has a talent to make games. It's a shame Fez 2 was cancelled.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
you can pick up blocks?? I was stuck in a room with little tetris symbols, desperately trying to get them to line up. Eventually gave up and googled it, and it turns out you can pick blocks up. I don't remember the game ever telling you that?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
you can pick up blocks?? I was stuck in a room with little tetris symbols, desperately trying to get them to line up. Eventually gave up and googled it, and it turns out you can pick blocks up. I don't remember the game ever telling you that?
YOU CAN PICK UP BLOCKS? Goddamn.

Top Bottom