• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Misguided

Banned
Man, the technical issues are really starting to wear on me. I went through a door and the screen moved toward an area in the background; it literally looked like a Powerpoint, and then the structure Gomez was about to walk out of disappeared, triggering a loading screen. This is not Zen-esque.

As well, the controls just are not a joy to play with. I really don't like the feel of Gomez; for me, this is integral to a platformer, especially a game like this which relies heavily on creating the right atmosphere.

To be fair, I still haven't sunk my teeth into the anti-cube puzzles; I know the game really gets going there. Tried a few of them, had trouble. But I feel like in the end my opinion of the game may lay on Feep's side, where the hidden wealth of material is more interesting and better designed than the "main" game.

Plissken

Played through the demo... Can't say I was real impressed by any of it. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this kind of game.

I just finished the trial, and feel the same. Didn't really impress me that much; the climbing felt slow and ledge shimmying/hanging felt off to me. I just got home from a long day of work though, so I might not be in the right state of mind for this. I'll give it another go tomorrow, see if it grows on me.

I'm starting to lose patience with Fez. After the first 15 minutes or so, there's really no learning curve: it just starts throwing cryptic shit at you that's not properly explained. I'm going past area after area with stuff I have no idea what to do with, and the way they're just plopped in with no context does not make me want to figure them out.

I'm also really struggling with world navigation. Between the world map and the travel methods, I have no idea how to get back to places I want to return to. I just sort of wander.

Some great ideas and presentation here, but the execution is beginning to wear thin.

I understand what you mean about the navigation. When you're trying to get somewhere that's a lot of rooms away, it's a bit annoying and confusing to navigate through each level trying to find the door that leads you to the next room on your path. I know you can warp between the main areas, but it can still take about 5 minutes to get to where you want to be.

The demo/trial is a travesty - it cuts out the entire opening section of the game, which has the real pizzazz and charm needed to sell it. Starting the game in a kind-of boring section, was a misstep in my opinion. I almost didn't buy it because of the trial, but a friend convinced me, saying the full has a much more convincing start. He was right.

Dunno if anyone has said this, or if it's just that obvious, but when climbing up ladders or around vines, you don't have to do it all slow. Just let go of the stick, jump, move, then be sure to hit up where you want to reattach to the vines/ladder. You can jump up and down vine sections really quickly this way.

Originally I didn't like Gomez' movement, but it's grown on me. I think it fits the measured pace of the game, but perhaps that's because I'm playing Fez more like it's Myst, than any other genre.

I don't have any problems with the map system, I actually find it very useful, especially since it makes logical sense - the direction a zone connects to another, is translated into how the map links them. It just takes time to get used to it. When you start knowing where all the
"infinity symbol"
shortcuts are, it gets a lot easier too.

Dreweyes

I made a parody & homage Fez t-shirt. :)

http://www.redbubble.com/people/drewwise/works/8725304-indie-dispenser

(buy an official Fez shirt here first! Very cool! http://polyshop.store-08.com/browse/polyshop/)

jSYhD.png

It's a Fez PEZ!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have been booted to the dashboard 4 times in a row and have to keep redoing this puzzle...

Make that 5.

Feep

Banned
Mind giving a non-spoiler hint, just to throw me in the right direction? :p (Man, I miss the UHS - Universal Hint System)
You need to figure out what symbol is what number, and what symbol is what input on a controller. You need to figure these things out in rooms other than the boiler room.

And also use the analog stick because goddammit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, does anyone know offhand the solution to
the room with the L tetris block on two sides and the middle piece on the other two...I already solved it but I need the least amount of moves possible because sometimes when gomez goes between two blocks he poses in the middle and I get booted to the dashboard. I am literally afraid to move in this room and need to do it in as few moves possible.

Nevermind, got it. 7 fucking dashboards later.

gururoji

Well, crap, after reading all the weird stuff you guys were mentioning I took the leap and bought the game despite finding the demo underwhelming. I must like it, I got 21 cubes and 8 anticubes in the first sitting! Hit kind of a slow patch after a massive first streak of exploring to many various corners of the world, found a new nook or two and things took right off again.

I can easily see how this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I happen to love the cryptic stuff and the lack of handholding, I haven't enjoyed puzzles like this for a long time.

I've hit some glitches, framerate trouble and occasional long load times, but it doesn't kill the enjoyment by any means. Though if it were perfectly smooth it'd be that much better.

Overall, I shouldn't jump to conclusions while I'm still in such a HYPE mode but it feels pretty easily like one of my favorites this generation.

Feep

Banned
If you beat the game after obtaining all sixty four cubes, you can a slightly different ending and
stereoscopy mode
!

Woooooo! If only I had the
red-and-blue 3-D glasses

This game is pretty great. I don't know if I find it awesome or really annoying that you need to use a cell phone to solve some of the games puzzles. I guess it's kind of cool.

Resilient

This game is pretty great. I don't know if I find it awesome or really annoying that you need to use a cell phone to solve some of the games puzzles. I guess it's kind of cool.

I just did this, thought it was kinda neat, if you don't have a QR reader you can't finish it though :(

So there are more than 32 anti-cubes, huh? I have 31 and know of 2 that I don't have, not counting all the puzzles no one solved yet.

Or maybe those give more cubes that are like the red one.

In the room with the big telescope I thought I was supposed to be charting the two blinking red stars.. I tried to and got this LT, LT, LT, RT, LT, LT, RT, LT. It gave me a weird red cube but I don't know if it was related to this room, though.. What does the red cube do?

In the room with the big telescope I thought I was supposed to be charting the two blinking red stars.. I tried to and got this LT, LT, LT, RT, LT, LT, RT, LT. It gave me a weird red cube but I don't know if it was related to this room, though.. What does the red cube do?

It's a mystery to everyone. No one knows yet, I think.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
20 cubes in. 17 regular, 3 blue. Absolutely loving it. How can something feel so nostalgic and yet so modern at the same time?

Most of the secrets have me SO lost. I don't even have an inkling...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my second sitting. Game is incredible. It's hard but obvious, ran into some puzzles with great aha moments. And I think I just went on a big secret/tangent path for like half an hour. Not really sure though I'm pretty out of it. I *think* Im kind of understanding the treasure map. I found a place that looks like the treasure map.

Phil fish if ur readin' this, thanks.

Feep

Banned
Regarding the blinking stars, most people are getting that crazy red cube by chance...which sucks. The real solution is quite interesting.

The stars do not show a repeating pattern. They pause for a moment just as full night begins, then run 96 flashes, then stop just as dawn begins. If you transcribe those and translate into 0's and 1's, and then separate into twelve groups of eight, you get ASCII code for "RTLTLTRTRTLT". What Fish SHOULD have done was have an ASCII pattern that involved more than RT and LT, so people wouldn't get it by chance.

Regarding the blinking stars, most people are getting that crazy red cube by chance...which sucks. The real solution is quite interesting.

The stars do not show a repeating pattern. They pause for a moment just as full night begins, then run 96 flashes, then stop just as dawn begins. If you transcribe those and translate into 0's and 1's, and then separate into twelve groups of eight, you get ASCII code for "RTLTLTRTRTLT". What Fish SHOULD have done was have an ASCII pattern that involved more than RT and LT, so people wouldn't get it by chance.

Then the difficulty would have been in line with the other puzzles that are not solved yet, true. Only that you solved this one, which is pretty ingenious.

It's a mystery to everyone. No one knows yet, I think.

I wonder how long it'll take people to figure out what they do.

Wow. How long did it take you to figure this out? That's pretty impressive.

I just thought the star on the left indicated the LT and the one on the right meant RT.

Feep

Banned
I wonder how long it'll take people to figure out what they do.

Wow. How long did it take you to figure this out? That's pretty impressive.

I just thought the star on the left indicated the LT and the one on the right meant RT.
A few minutes. Sequence actually used a similar trick, so I thought of it pretty quickly. = D

And if anyone wants to to know what the red cube "does":

MAJOR POST 64 CUBES SPOILER:

Beyond the 64-cube door, there's a floating bit that requires three additional cubes. The red cube is one of the three. The other two presumably come from the Security Question riddle and the Black Monolith.

I honestly thought the star puzzle was a total troll,
I wrote all those flashes down as L or R for like 5 minutes, only to get the cube after a few hits. Then the cube isn't even useful, I love the line "I don't even know what this is." from your little cube buddy

Daeda

Feep, any hints on how you figured out the first seven numbers? Its clear that you need them for the bell tower and boiler room, but id like to know how you got to them in the first place..

saunderez

Feep, any hints on how you figured out the first seven numbers? Its clear that you need them for the bell tower and boiler room, but id like to know how you got to them in the first place..

There's an artifact that will help you decode the numbers.

Laugh count: 3 or 4 times.

Dot is well written. For what it's worth the last times I laughed at games were Portal, Jak and Daxter and probably the Puzzle Agent games.

This is a guess on my part, but one of the artefacts sort of resembles a
dice
so I'm going to use that as a starting point. Could be wrong, but seems like an easier start to the language.

edit. beaten.

Daeda

Im actually sort of doubting that.. I saw the solution for the bell tower and I know the treasure map has numbers 1-4 on it, and if it was, you'd expect the opposite sides to sum to seven, which doesnt match either of those.

Feep

Banned
The first three were obtained pretty easily from EITHER classroom (in the day-night flicker city, or the final city with the 32-cube door). The number 4 was obtained from the treasure maps by process of elimination. 5, 7, 10, and
alternate 3
were obtained from the classroom in the final city. Six was obtained from the bell (I knew the other three, and simply kept ringing the final side until it worked). 8 was obtained after I completed the boiler room. 9 was obtained via process of elimination.

ThankeeSai

I managed to find 2 anticubes last night the
the RTLT etc one that gives you the RTLT achievement and the one from the monocle portrait room

Do most anticube puzzles centre around this type of solution and it's a case of deciphering codes to see what order you press them in, or is there a bit of variety?

Daeda

The first three were obtained pretty easily from EITHER classroom (in the day-night flicker city, or the final city with the 32-cube door). The number 4 was obtained from the treasure maps by process of elimination. 5, 7, 10, and
alternate 3
were obtained from the classroom in the final city. Six was obtained from the bell (I knew the other three, and simply kept ringing the final side until it worked). 8 was obtained after I completed the boiler room. 9 was obtained via process of elimination.

I still dont really get how you figured the 5 7 and 10 out, but I think I've found the complete structure of the numeric system.

If you look at it, it starts with a square, but then removes a line and rotates untill all are accounted for (like 1 through 4). Then it removes another line (leaving dots) and does the rotation again. However, we know from the number three that numbers can overlap, and we should actually apply this. The numberic sstem then is:

1) U
2) C
3) Mirrored U OR Single Dot in TR corner
4) Mirrored C OR Single Dot in BR corner
5) Single Dot in BL corner
6) Single Dot in TL corner OR to lines facing sides
7) Two lines facing up OR Smily (from the boiler room it is derived that it starts with the eyes up)
8/9) Rotated smiley
10) Rotated smiley OR four points

Im not entirely sure whether it fits yet, but it seems plausable

Dabanton

This game kept me up until 3.00am this morning. Once it grabs you it grabs you.

Loving how creepy some of the environments are.

Daeda

Just a thing about the throne rooms, as they are gold for me but I never got any anti-cubes there:
Could it be that they are the alternative answer to the QR-codes?

clockpunk

I must admit that I haven't really paid attention to the media hype or buildup around Fez - I knew the title had experienced a fairly problematic and chequered development, but... I downloaded the dmoupon coming in from work. 3 minutes with that was enough to convince me to snap up the full game at once.

PSN has Journey, XBLA has Fez. And some critics say games can not be considered art.

Wonderful experience thus far - I hope it surpasses sales expectations by a long margin.

Think I could just explore a couple of areas as a means of relaxation. The music, the graphics, the ambience... this is what I want from a game.

I started getting a lot of messages on XBL, even though my friends list is almost empty and I haven't turned my console on for a year before playing FEZ.

Thought that was weird until someone asked my how I am 8th on the leaderboard with 200%.

I'm not even sure how that's possible, I still only have 31 anti-cubes. Seems bugged?

What the hell are the small stone pillars that have a hole up the top with a small cube in it dotted around the place?
You can't solve those things until you've beaten the game.

And if you already did:
Look at the floor in the vincinity of the pillars.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Not many secrets left to do. 3 anti-cubes left. I think.

The clock still hides one, no idea. Hope its not time sensitive.
The classroom with all the symbol notes in the 'other' town, since I just noted stuff down in there rather than trying anything.

Daeda

I started getting a lot of messages on XBL, even though my friends list is almost empty and I haven't turned my console on for a year before playing FEZ.

Thought that was weird until someone asked my how I am 8th on the leaderboard with 200%.

I'm not even sure how that's possible, I still only have 31 anti-cubes. Seems bugged?

You can't solve those things until you've beaten the game.

And if you already did:
Look at the floor in the vincinity of the pillars.

I am 8th now, so dont worry ;)

Daeda

Yeah I saw you up there. :)
Still, doesn't seem right.

You have the
Red cube
right, so that probably counts as an anti-cube, making it a round 200%. There arent that many people who've found near that amount of cubes, so I think its about right.

Top Bottom