• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

So my favorite stages so far have been the one under the bell with the messed up graphics all around and the stage by the waterfall with the disappearing pink blocks. The songs playing are my favorites as well.

Marco1

I really wish they would fix the boxart for the my games section.
I have a few games that don't have it yet other people do such as iron brigade and x-men arcade.
I would love to know why this happens, it differs for people.

I have a few games that don't have it yet other people do such as iron brigade and x-men arcade.

I don't have it for Fez and that seems to be a widespread problem. But for Iron Brigade it shows up. Had no idea there was even an issue there.

aku:jiki

Fez is only the second game I know not to have a cover on XBLA, the other one being Bionic Commando 2. But, yeah, it looks pretty bad with a poorly blown-up icon in place of a pretty cover. :/

I don't think there is because it's inconsistent. Different users have different problems with this.
I'd call anyone claiming to see a Fez cover a liar, considering Polytron has confirmed that there's an issue with it and they're trying to fix it. Saw it on their Twitter when I was looking for Monolith clues.

Marco1

There's a definite issue with the Fez cover but I was explaining that with other games I think it's a server issue within certain regions.

see5harp

The cover art is server dependant, AFAIK, because sometimes when I lose connection to xbox live I'll go into quicklaunch and everything is tiny icons. The main reason I think the UI is slow at times is because the cover art is downloading every time. They should really just force a download of the cover upon install.

Fantastic Fez review in The Guardian (sorry for the sloppy link, I'm on the train):

http://m.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/apr/17/fez-game-review?cat=technology&type=article

Simon Parkin, same dude who reviewed the eye-opening Uncharted 3 review for Eurogamer. He's all good in my books.

Great argument in bringing up the nods to old classic games, but instead of being a crutch, Fish seems to use these inspirations as stepping stones to create his own world.

I love it when a great review just makes me want to get a game not just because of the praises they speak of the game but how they word it, too.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I really love this game but I must admit I'm starting to get a little stuck. I've got about 23 cubes and there don't seem to really be many places I can go. I've got a few visible connections on the map but in those areas I've searched pretty thoroughly and found no new doors.

Zomba13

The worst part of this is that apparently nothing happens in that 64-cube room when you collect the final red cube. SOMETHING SHOULD HAPPEN, FISH.

I really don't care anymore. I'll come back in a week when someone has randomly brute forced the solution. = P

Maybe something happens when you complete the game again. A new, third ending?

0 HP

The worst part of this is that apparently nothing happens in that 64-cube room when you collect the final red cube. SOMETHING SHOULD HAPPEN, FISH.

I really don't care anymore. I'll come back in a week when someone has randomly brute forced the solution. = P

that should probably be spoiler tagged?

Riposte

Didn't you give this game a +1 score because of this, lol?

Cranzor

I've gotten all of the regular cubes and about half of the dark ones. I translated the language by myself and figured out everything so far by myself. I only have a few rooms I haven't figured out still and I've spent hours on them. If anyone can give me hints without completely ruining the secret, can you help me out? I'll spoiler tag what I'm stuck on.

There are some pillars that I cannot figure out at all. Every room with a pillar has a question mark on it. I also have no clue what the U shaped things are, but I've found 4 of them. I have no idea what the bell and the clock are for either.

Those are the main ones. I almost feel like some of the puzzles are just too hard sometimes, but I'm glad that at least one game did it. I don't think I've ever played a game with harder puzzles.

Zomba13

I've gotten all of the regular cubes and about half of the dark ones. I translated the language by myself and figured out everything so far by myself. I only have a few rooms I haven't figured out still and I've spent hours on them. If anyone can give me hints without completely ruining the secret, can you help me out? I'll spoiler tag what I'm stuck on.

There are some pillars that I cannot figure out at all. Every room with a pillar has a question mark on it. I also have no clue what the U shaped things are, but I've found 4 of them. I have no idea what the bell and the clock are for either.

Those are the main ones. I almost feel like some of the puzzles are just too hard sometimes, but I'm glad that at least one game did it. I don't think I've ever played a game with harder puzzles.

Try looking around by the pillars. Maybe use an ability you gain upon completing the game once.

Try standing on the U shaped things and just feeling the beat for a bit.

The bell has numbers on it. Try and work out what the numbers the symbols are.

The clock is time based, real time based. Red should be the fastest then a pretty big jump to blue then a jump to green and then grey.

Those should help you out with what to do without spoiling things.

No new ending, sadly. All the monolith is ultimately good for is 3.125%.

Hmmm....

Monolith solved on video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYC_jnKmzzE

Don't worry, it's a massive fucking troll.

It's already marked private, anyway.

So a bit of spoiler thoughts, probably confirming something you've already thought of:

Geezer is probably Gomez.
Okay, that's pretty obvious, with the name, the fez, and everything, but there are a few clues that may be a little less obvious.

1. He knows exactly where and when the Hexahedron will appear.
  2. The eyepatch stops him from seeing in 3D. It'd be funny if it was the final "unlocked" eyewear. Maybe he didn't actually lose an eye?
  3. The boiler room nearby is filled with sketches of things you encounter later in the game, including the alien skull, the writing, etc, as if he's still puzzling on it. There's other foreshadowing in the game, like the portraits in the monocle guy's room, but the boiler room looks more like a "collecting my notes" place.

And here's the big one, I saw pointed out by someone on GameFAQs... normally in the game, when you start a game and get your rotation power, first thing you do is check out your room. On one of the walls is some torn wallpaper, and bridging another corner is a spiderweb. When the Hexahedron sends you back in the ending after repairing it, it you look around your room, your wall doesn't have the torn wallpaper, and there's no web. So presumably, you were sent back in time. Now, you still see the same NPCs when you go outside, so it's unclear why Geezer (who's not present during the ending I believe) is so old in comparison when the game starts. And there's a chance that when the programmer made a copy of the room for the ending, he used an older version that didn't have the extra wall details. But it could very well be an intentional clue to Gomez's fate.

I need some help with a couple of rooms.

The clock is the first one. I've gotten a yellow cube and anti-cube. What else is there and how do I get it?

Second room is close to it. The one with a block that lights up with whatever button you push. What do I do there?

saunderez

I need some help with a couple of rooms.

The clock is the first one. I've gotten a yellow cube and anti-cube. What else is there and how do I get it?

Second room is close to it. The one with a block that lights up with whatever button you push. What do I do there?

The clock has 4 sides. You'll notice each side moves at different rates. If you can figure out what triggers the fastest side to give you a cube you can use that logic to determine when the other sides are going to.

The second thing....don't think of it as something you need to do. Think of it as trying to show you something. Try pressing different buttons near the light up grid. Once you figure it out you'll feel like a moron for not realizing it straight away.

Cranzor

Try looking around by the pillars. Maybe use an ability you gain upon completing the game once.

Try standing on the U shaped things and just feeling the beat for a bit.

The bell has numbers on it. Try and work out what the numbers the symbols are.

The clock is time based, real time based. Red should be the fastest then a pretty big jump to blue then a jump to green and then grey.

Those should help you out with what to do without spoiling things.

Awesome, those should help out a bit. Thanks!

Oh, one more I forgot. This is one I haven't been able to figure out since I started the game.

In the starting area, there is a room with a bunch of symbols on it that appear throughout the game. It says I am missing something but I have no clue what. I've entered the tetrominoes on the wall as button presses but it didn't do anything. There are 8 so I thought for sure that was it. Since you said those are numbers on the bell, maybe there is a numerical order. I think all of the tetrominoes have symbol on them, they must be numbers. Hmm... I'll have to go look around there again.

The clock has 4 sides. You'll notice each side moves at different rates. If you can figure out what triggers the fastest side to give you a cube you can use that logic to determine when the other sides are going to.

The second thing....don't think of it as something you need to do. Think of it as trying to show you something. Try pressing different buttons near the light up grid. Once you figure it out you'll feel like a moron for not realizing it straight away.

Thanks, I got a second anti-cube but the other two sides don't appear to move at all?

saunderez

Thanks, I got a second anti-cube but the other two sides don't appear to move at all?

They most certainly do but they're considerably slower than real time.
I disconnected from Live and messed around with my system clock in order to find out their movement rates. Move your clock 4 or 8 hours and see what happens to the hands

They most certainly do but they're considerably slower than real time.
I disconnected from Live and messed around with my system clock in order to find out their movement rates. Move your clock 4 or 8 hours and see what happens to the hands

Ah, gotcha. I'll play around with it until it works. Thanks again.

Zomba13

Awesome, those should help out a bit. Thanks!

Oh, one more I forgot. This is one I haven't been able to figure out since I started the game.

In the starting area, there is a room with a bunch of symbols on it that appear throughout the game. It says I am missing something but I have no clue what. I've entered the tetrominoes on the wall as button presses but it didn't do anything. There are 8 so I thought for sure that was it. Since you said those are numbers on the bell, maybe there is a numerical order. I think all of the tetrominoes have symbol on them, they must be numbers. Hmm... I'll have to go look around there again.

If it's the boiler room (room with lots of notes and stuff on the wall and a big boiler) Then the symbols next to the tetriminos are numbers, you need to work out what order they should be in.

Cranzor

I'm an idiot. I've had rumble off the whole time I've been playing and just realized it.

EDIT: Thanks for the help Zomba. I'm going to
try to figure out the numbers and pillars
tomorrow. Shouldn't be too hard now.

Nert

Best game soundtrack in a while, annoyed that we have to wait until the 20th for the whole thing though.

The wait is definitely rough... I'm loving what has been posted so far, though. It's so soothing and haunting. I'm reminded of Blocks That Matter while listening (one of my favorites from last year).

With Fez, Journey, and Skullgirls, 2012 is already another notable year for indie game soundtracks.

Got this today and am up to 40%. I like it a good amount but it plays so slow. Sometimes I want to just zip through a stage.

Playing Fez makes me want to replay Knytt. They've got the same go-anywhere mentality with the random atmospheric music floating in and out. Both cool games.

Immensely clever crowd-sourcing thing to brute-force it:

http://fez-monolith.heroku.com/

It gives you a set of 10 codes to test, the catch is that you enter the first one fully, then you can just press the final button on each line to test out the other nine (since they continue from the previous code).

Person who got the code from the programmer also said:

treyher ‏ @treyher Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
@cutterbups Hint: net effect of one turn. Several sets of doubles.

Just played the game for a half hour. Or maybe it was an hour? I lost track of time.
Anyway, my point is that I think I'm head over heels for this game so far.

The theme of seeing things from a different perspective and what it means both in the game world, and in the grander scheme of things feels so fresh. I really haven't experienced anything like it in this medium. Wow!

The platforming is well done, too. And the music is aces.

Diamond

The wait is definitely rough... I'm loving what has been posted so far, though. It's so soothing and haunting. I'm reminded of Blocks That Matter while listening (one of my favorites from last year).

Fantastic soundtrack, I agree. And each track really helps to build the mood of the place you're visiting.

Don't know if everyone saw that a good amount of tracks can be listened to on Disasterpeace's site >>> http://disasterpeace.com/album/fez

Some standouts for me :

Adventure
Legend
Compass
Memory
Knowledge
Home

Person who got the code from the programmer also said:

RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT, RT?

LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT ?

RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT ?

LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT, LT, RT ?

Something?

ANYTHING? :(

Top Bottom