• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Cartman86

Banned
I just beat the game for the first time. I want to be eased into what to do next without everything spoiled. Is figuring out what the tetris pieces are for a good place to start? Someone wanna spoil tag it in a response for me?

I'm curious what the answer to this question would be as well. I said fuck it and looked up some stuff, and in hindsight I couldn't see myself solving some of that without going into every area of the game, and no doubt missing something because I thought I couldn't get passed a puzzle yet. I wish I had the patience.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm curious what the answer to this question would be as well. I said fuck it and looked up some stuff, and in hindsight I couldn't see myself solving some of that without going into every area of the game, and no doubt missing something because I thought I couldn't get passed a puzzle yet. I wish I had the patience.

I looked a lot of it up as well. I have to admit, after hearing Jeff ramble on about how mindbendingly awesome the revelations are, I'm extremely let down by this second half of the game. I wanted something far more clever than this. Instead, what I'm doing now doesn't feel satisfying. I did enjoy the first half of the game though.

If you explore, and experiment, the answer to the above two posts will come clear.

If you want the short answer:
I'd say yes
If you want a hint:
explore near the octopus
If you want the answer:
there is a rosetta stone which tells you what the tetris pieces mean, but you still have to work out how to decode them
If you want a hint to that:
check the classrooms

The world is so big and non linear, I think that's the problem. Solutions are in alternate universes and trawling across the world for a hint is undesirable. The game claimed to want to recreate the feeling of Wind Waker but forgot to add the god of wind.

They did originally try that but it was too hard to do the offset for them for every one of Gomez's animations so they didn't bother.

I'll be honest, the more I look at this game, it's pretty clearly something they should've figured out. Big missed opportunity, where
the final unlock could've been an eyepatch
. In fact
all of the eyewear could've shared the same masking.

Okay, it's not that big a deal. But it just seems like a strange thing to say "we were going to do it, but it would've been too hard." Especially for the sunglasses, they could've just been a goofy flat overlay most of the time.

Zomba13

I'll be honest, the more I look at this game, it's pretty clearly something they should've figured out. Big missed opportunity, where
the final unlock could've been an eyepatch
. In fact
all of the eyewear could've shared the same masking.

Okay, it's not that big a deal. But it just seems like a strange thing to say "we were going to do it, but it would've been too hard." Especially for the sunglasses, they could've just been a goofy flat overlay most of the time.

Yeah. It would have been a nice thing to have in NG+.

Story stuff:

So what happened, exactly? Owls are alien gods that visited Gomez's world, granted a race technology (and presumably the ability to see all dimensions) and were overthrown or died or something? I've just been picking through what I've seen in the game, not been reading much online - other than some amazing translations.

Cube translation spoiler:

HI THERE HOW ARE YOU
I WILL BE YOUR
HEXAHEDRON TODAY
SO THIS IS JUST
ROUTINE PROCEDURE
BUT I DO NEED
SOMETHING HERE JUST
GOES WRONG
IF SOMETHING DOES
GO WRONG YOU ARE
GOING TO HAVE TO
CLEAN UP THE MESS
HEY WAIT A MINUTE
CAN YOU EVEN
UNDERSTAND
WHAT I AM SAYING
AND WHAT IS WRONG
WITH YOUR HEAD
OH WELL YOU ARE
HERE NOW MIGHT AS
WELL DO THIS THING
PREPARE TO HAVE
YOUR MIND BLOWN
ALL RIGHT
WELCOME TO THE
CLUB ENJOY YOUR
FREE HAT
I KIND OF THOUGHT
MAYBE THIS WOULD
NOT WORK BECAUSE
OF YOUR WEIRD HEAD
BUT EVERYTHING LOOKS
AOK FROM OVER HERE
THANKS FOR THE HAND
YOU CAN GO HOME
NOW IT WAS VERY NICE
TO MEET YOU

Fucking hilarious. The Giantbomb forums have quite a few people working on some translations, it's all really goofy and awesome.

Story stuff:

I think the Octopus things were "the visitors", the Owls perhaps just there to bare witness... maybe? And the Geezer-is-Gomez thing is amazing and never even crossed my mind!

blamite

Story stuff:

I think the Octopus things were "the visitors", the Owls perhaps just there to bare witness... maybe? And the Geezer-is-Gomez thing is amazing and never even crossed my mind!

I figured that Geezer was Gomer almost right away, mainly because of the fez and the fact that he says something along the lines of "it's your turn now" when you talk to him after the cube explodes.

Also, music nerds, help me out here with something (32 cube ending spoilers):

What is that music that plays during Gomez's 2001 a Space Odyssey mind trip? It's a piece of classical music but I can't remember what it is and I'm having a hell of a time digging through my library. It's a Chopin piano concerto, right?

clav

Also, music nerds, help me out here with something (32 cube ending spoilers):

What is that music that plays during Gomez's 2001 a Space Odyssey mind trip? It's a piece of classical music but I can't remember what it is and I'm having a hell of a time digging through my library. It's a Chopin piano concerto, right?

Chopin's Piano Prelude No. 4 e minor

Zomba13

Story stuff:

So what happened, exactly? Owls are alien gods that visited Gomez's world, granted a race technology (and presumably the ability to see all dimensions) and were overthrown or died or something? I've just been picking through what I've seen in the game, not been reading much online - other than some amazing translations.

Here is what I think from the stuff I remember:
Gomez's kind used to be purely 2D beings (in the 'prehistoric' place with the flat rooms etc but eventually they were visited by the Squids from another world and were given the power of the cubes or the star gate (or both) and became more advanced with kings getting crowns and higher ups (maybe the religious members) getting Fezes (as seen with all the Fez wearing statues).
I think the civilisation fucked up at some point and that is why the town is destroyed when you explore and why the stargate is destroyed. I think the doors you enter in the place with all the cube doors lets you travel through time (as you see the town before the disaster with the working stargate).
I think the true gods are the 4D cube things like dot. I also think the geezer is Gomez and he left all the hints for himself to follow.
I think the owls are like, messengers of the hypercubes or whatever. They seem to know a lot and are seen to be worshipped. Maybe the owls are also aliens?
I think everything messed up because of Gomezs head. I think the cube intended to do his thing to someone from Zu.
Also I think the whole game does take place in a single pixel on a TV with static. It's like, there are universes and worlds in everything, in every cell or pixel there are worlds within worlds and it goes both ways, zooming in and out.

I really like the 'story' of the game. It's there and there is enough to get a good idea and be able to see the intent but vague enough for there to be interpretation. There are still unanswered questions that I hoped the final puzzle would answer or hint at but I don't really mind too much.

blamite

Anyone have a hint for
the room with six cubes, and a stone wall showing 10 different configurations? I tried building a few of them, but nothing seemed to happen, and some of them don't seem possible, like they's require floating cubes or something.

nvm, just got it. not exactly 100% sure how though...

blamite

Alright, so I need 3 more
anti-cubes, two of them are from the clock, and I'm assuming the third is from the observatory, since the map still says there's a secret there (I already got the red heart cube thing). I thought that that anti-cube was the glitched 33rd one, but as far as I can tell that's the only other non-cleared room besides the clock and the 64 cube door. Should I go looking for that anti-cube then? I'd like to avoid the glitched one.

Cranzor

Well, I just finished doing everything you can possibly do. It was a fantastic game overall, definitely my favorite this year so far. I almost did everything myself except for a few things that I'll spoiler tag below.

Anything relating to numbers. I translated the whole language myself and figured out the tetronimo button input system, but I never could find any clues as to how to figure out the numbers. I think about 3 puzzles used the numbers.

I had no idea how to do the clock puzzle. I got 3 of them by pure accident but read about how to get the 4th one and changed the clock on my 360. Also, I figured out what I was supposed to do for the telescope room but I guess I was pressing the buttons wrong or something so I looked that up.

The security question was way too hard for me. I would've never gotten that anyway.

Obviously, I didn't solve the monolith myself. I discovered it myself though! Just didn't know what to do once I found it.

I got a few hints (that didn't completely spoil me) for some of the harder ones, like the pillars and the U shaped things. I didn't have rumble on so obviously I wouldn't have figured that second one out.

And that's it. I played a ton of it so I had time to figure out most of the puzzles. I've never played anything like this game. I went in expecting a great platformer and I got something completely different. I hope other games take inspiration from this one. Maybe Fez will create the "insanely hard puzzle" genre.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just figured out what the Tetris blocks mean. I feel smart.

Anyone got any general hints on what to do to solve puzzles? I've got 16 cubes and have been stumped for hours, every room I can go to is empty, secrets are shown as being present on the map but WTF can I do with an empty room? Also I just got this writing artifact, no idea what it does. I found a door that glows at a certain time of day, no idea how to open it, tried bombs.

Feep

Banned
Nice article! There were only a few hundred of us who were really actively working on this stuff, so I'd imagine it's a fascinating read for the outsiders. :)

So I could really use some help. Will spoiler tag just for the heck of it.

I just unlocked the 16 cube door. It's the fourth door in the first hub. I go through and I'm in a level that's basically a building with a bunch of neon lights and signs. And I can't find anything at all. I don't know what to do, where to go, nothing.
Any tips would be great.

Kind of off-topic, but what is the name of the rainbow cube that gives you information in the demo? It's a cube within a cube, basically. That type of object has a real name, but I can't remember it right now, and it's bothering me. :/

rbanke

So after beating the game I left it at the 'new game, new game+, options, etc' menu. I had to do a few things around the house. My wife came over to the TV with my 2yo son and he picked up the controller and started hitting things. I'm guessing he hit new game because it was at the beginning. I realized what happened and quit to the menu and it seems my fear was justified as the New Game+ option is gone. Anyone know if it's completely lost or is there a way to start a new game+ still. I think I'm fucked though. :( I'm not sure i have the will to replay the entire game just to get back to where I was.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Got the game. Got pretty far.. then started reading this thread.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. These puzzles are insane. Fucking insane. No way am I smart enough for this shit. It's just WTF upon WTF after reading you guys deduce the most obscurely-related stuff.

Just, wow. I'm not sure whether to marvel this or be upset ATM.

So am I limited to just one game-in-progress at a time? Would like my fiancé to try it but...yeah.

Couldn't you just set them up an account?

Also, halp - I'm at
198.3%
and I haven't the foggiest what else I have to do. I have:

3D glasses
All three red cubes + entered the 64 cube door on that island pyramid
Every map node complete
All artifacts
etc, etc

So... what now? Someone on my friend leaderboard is
209.something
% and I dunno how.

RedSwirl

For some reason I CANNOT get the infinite climb room anti-cube to appear. I read the code hidden in the level like three different ways. I even looked up the code on a guide and it still doesn't work for some reason. Do I have to be standing somewhere?

I bought the game a few days ago, going in completely blind. I just figured out what I assume will be the easiest part of the game's secret language, felt pretty good.

So am I limited to just one game-in-progress at a time? Would like my fiancé to try it but...yeah.

Signing in to/making another account should do the trick I'd assume?

RedSwirl

Found the Rosetta Stone and wrote all the symbols down as well as the sentence they translate too, but I still can't figure out the letters. I never learned ciphers or pangrams in school or anything.

If you're not connected to Xbox Live when you get something, your percentage doesn't get updated until the next time you get something while connected. So if you finished getting everything possible while unconnected, you can never get your completion percentage to update on the leader boards. You should have the same percentage as the friend you mention.

Wow, really? That's incredibly lame.

Wondering the same thing.

Not sure why I pre-ordered a digital album. Should have just waited until now.

Heh, yeah, seems kind of redundant to pre-order most things digitally, I guess I just wanted to show my support because I adore the soundtrack. Shame my current fave tune is also the shortest.

Got the game. Got pretty far.. then started reading this thread.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. These puzzles are insane. Fucking insane. No way am I smart enough for this shit. It's just WTF upon WTF after reading you guys deduce the most obscurely-related stuff.

Just, wow. I'm not sure whether to marvel this or be upset ATM.

To be honest, the puzzles aren't that difficult. It's just about assembling clues from different places. At least two out of the three sets of glyphs have a blatant Rosetta Stone once you know to look for it. The last set is a little trickier to piece together, since it requires putting together knowledge from a few different places.

The game becomes a little too hung up on "find the symbols, turn the symbols into buttons list, put in a button code, get cube." There's a few tricky puzzles that involve moving blocks around, and some really late-game stuff that's supposed to be insanely challenging (except one most people beat by accident, and another we can't even find what the clue for it is supposed to be). But I would say Braid had harder puzzles, tied much more closely into the gameplay.

Fingers crossed for a second quest none of us know about.

Top Bottom