• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

My post? Just dicking around, but I'll spoiler tag it in any case, lol.
No overall, everyone has got so far that the earlier stuff doesn't matter apparently. I know the map explains roughly where things are but eh. I'm pretty far behind collecting anti cubes and finding secret areas.

Hmm, so I have
one anti-cube left and the only rooms that are left that are white are the monolith room and the room with the tree and the lowering water level. Any ideas on how to get the last anti-cube. I already have the glitched one from the observatory.

mrplaid

Hmm, so I have
one anti-cube left and the only rooms that are left that are white are the monolith room and the room with the tree and the lowering water level. Any ideas on how to get the last anti-cube. I already have the glitched one from the observatory.

I believe the two rooms you have left are red "heart piece" cube rooms. I had an issue where I input the "unlocking achieved" anti-cube code in the Monacle Room in the village, and the room showed up as gold/complete on my map. I went back and actually did the Monacle Room puzzle and got another anti-cube even though that room was marked as complete. I would suggest going back to wherever you might have input the "unlocking achieved" code and seeing if there's still a puzzle there to be solved. Worked for me, anyway.

Also, I totally brute forced the
telescope/observatory hidden red cube
. I feel like I cheated. :)

Zomba13

Immensely clever crowd-sourcing thing to brute-force it:

http://fez-monolith.heroku.com/

It gives you a set of 10 codes to test, the catch is that you enter the first one fully, then you can just press the final button on each line to test out the other nine (since they continue from the previous code).

Person who got the code from the programmer also said:

Doesn't work for me. Whenever I click the 'No
red cube
' button it tells me there was an error.

So I got a hint about the tetris blocks that finally helps do stuff. Really obscure. I don't think I would have got that without help.. but I'm glad I've done it because some of the new areas are so fun! So if you're at the 30/10 sort of state, don't hesitate to ask for a hint on that. It would not give me much satisfaction to waste time hitting walls on that one.

For the more yellowy world with the
windmill and spinning blocks, does anyone get a Sonic vibe from it? something about the music and the pace just feels very Sonic platformer to me, more so than the rest which feels Mario

Ridley327

Also, I totally brute forced the
telescope/observatory hidden red cube
. I feel like I cheated. :)

That's a weird puzzle since the logic behind how you're actually supposed to arrive at the solution is sound, but if you go into it assuming that you just need to repeat the flashing patterns as you see them, then you will stumble across it "accidentally."

Grisby

Been having fun just exploring. Got about 26 cubes just looking around. A lotta rooms that I have no clue how to 'solve' (?) and no idea where to get a start.

Good times.

RedSwirl

This last gold cube is driving me crazy. I'm looking at all the rooms left connected to unaccessed rooms that don't have question mark signs, and I'm getting nothing. Does the puzzle in the library with all the landscapes have anything to do with it?

mrplaid

This last gold cube is driving me crazy. I'm looking at all the rooms left connected to unaccessed rooms that don't have question mark signs, and I'm getting nothing. Does the puzzle in the library with all the landscapes have anything to do with it?

My advice would be to not worry about it and focus on collecting anti-cubes instead. The room with the last gold cube you're looking for should show up as white on your map, so you'll probably stumble across it while you're collecting anti-cubes.

I'm at 31 Yellow Cubes and 29 Anti-Cubes. I have to say, overall, a lot of the game's magic is lost post-game. I dunno, to me, the game is at it's peak when I'm in its brilliantly creative platforming sequences and solving the less ridiculous puzzles. Some of the input puzzles are annoying and obtuse, because any little fidget fucks them up. I just like the platforming and exploration in this much more than the puzzle solving, really. Some puzzles are great and super clever, while others are just kinda shitty and annoying. It's leaving a bit of a bad taste in my mouth after such a phenomenal experience, which is a shame because I LOVE the atmosphere and game on its own, the extra stuff is just tedious.

conman

I'm at 31 Yellow Cubes and 29 Anti-Cubes. I have to say, overall, a lot of the game's magic is lost post-game. I dunno, to me, the game is at it's peak when I'm in its brilliantly creative platforming sequences and solving the less ridiculous puzzles. Some of the input puzzles are annoying and obtuse, because any little fidget fucks them up. I just like the platforming and exploration in this much more than the puzzle solving, really. Some puzzles are great and super clever, while others are just kinda shitty and annoying. It's leaving a bit of a bad taste in my mouth after such a phenomenal experience, which is a shame because I LOVE the atmosphere and game on its own, the extra stuff is just tedious.
My thoughts exactly. I've been stubbornly committing myself to discovering the anti-cubes on my own (I'm now on New Game+) and have found five.

But I can guess that most of the rest are going to depend on ridiculously obtuse
directional inputs
. And, to me, that breaks the whole tone and world of the game. Where some of the puzzles use the world and the mechanics (like the treasure map stuff and the few block puzzles), the rest just seem like a lazy hodgepodge of decoding exercises with a long string of
control inputs
. There's no logical or thematic coherence there.

It's just being obscure for the sake of being obscure. Even some of the most ridiculous stars in Braid still held true to the world of the game and made sense in context. I love everything else about the Fez. I just wish it was smarter and more "fair" about most of its puzzles.

RedSwirl

My thoughts exactly. I've been stubbornly committing myself to discovering the anti-cubes on my own (I'm now on New Game+) and have found five.

But I can guess that most of the rest are going to depend on ridiculously obtuse
directional inputs
. And, to me, that breaks the whole tone and world of the game. Where some of the puzzles use the world and the mechanics (like the treasure map stuff and the few block puzzles), the rest just seem like a lazy hodgepodge of decoding exercises with a long string of
control inputs

It's just being obscure for the sake of being obscure. Even some of the most ridiculous stars in Braid still held true to the world of the game and made sense in context. I love everything else about the Fez. I just wish it was smarter and more "fair" about most of its puzzles.

I think it's kinda drawing back on oldschool adventure games, but I can't be sure since I haven't played many.

directional inputs
control inputs

This. I loved the first half of the game, and a bunch of the Anti-Cubes were actually a lot of fun, like the ones that required exploration and clever puzzle solving such as finding the owls, the room that operated based on the musical tone, etc. The input ones just feel like padding and filler. It was really cool when I finally figured it out for myself, but doing them all the time is just annoying.

Zomba13

I can confirm the code works. It didn't change my % though (I have the glitched 33rd cube)
Just completing it again to see if my % changes. I still have the bad ending though.

I'm assuming the solution was brute forced, so we still won't know for sure yet the why of it.

Yep, we all NEED to know this after the lengths some people went to to try and solve it.

Incredible that it's almost been EXACTLY a week since the game came out, don't recall anything in a game going unresolved in so long, especially with the internet around.

209.4%, shot up about 1K spots on the leaderboard;
shame that nothing happens when you get the heart :(

milesdm

Slipped down to #25, what a tragedy.

Kinda sucks that there was nothing to these last three pieces, but oh wel-- we should petition Phil to change the ending.

Havok

Awesome, save was damaged when the game crashed just now. I don't know that I feel like plowing through three hours of game again to see what all the fuss is about. I don't suppose there's a way to fix it?

Zomba13

When you rotate the room, where the door would be. Unless my game is bugging out, lol.

I didn't notice that. I did go back after I solved it though in a new game+.
Also, I found it funny that you could keep entering the codes for the 0 and 1 bits and still get the puzzle solved sound.

I didn't notice that. I did go back after I solved it though in a new game+.
Also, I found it funny that you could keep entering the codes for the 0 and 1 bits and still get the puzzle solved sound.

You can always do that, though. At least 2 different puzzles I repeated codes and still got the music as if I just did it the first time.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just beat the game for the first time. I want to be eased into what to do next without everything spoiled. Is figuring out what the tetris pieces are for a good place to start? Someone wanna spoil tag it in a response for me?

Of course the code was found about five seconds after I walked out the door. Slipped down another 100 places on the leaderboard by the time I could enter it. All well, not like any of us figured it out legitimately. We can't even find the puzzle to figure out in the first place, if there is one.

Although I have one small suspicion where that is, if it's actually in the game.
When I was watching the ending with 3D glasses on, I thought at one point I pretty clearly read "Up" during the zoom-out. But I know it's so easy to "see" things in a visual mess like that.

Top Bottom