• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in how the puzzles ended up devolving into the same two things.

"Feel the vibrations next to the tuning fork!" or "button sequence, go!" The music room with the platforms set to the melody and the glitchy room were by far the best.

The work leading up to that stuff was great but actually executing a lot of it New Game+ was a slog,
even after I figured out how to fly

Fjordson

Just got my email for the full soundtrack download!

Heh, yeah, seems kind of redundant to pre-order most things digitally, I guess I just wanted to show my support because I adore the soundtrack. Shame my current fave tune is also the shortest.
Yeah, I love what I've heard so far. Can't wait to listen to the whole thing.

I hope, but doubt, that the OST gets a physical release.
I saw on Disasterpeace's Twitter that a physical release is in the works.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So after beating the game I left it at the 'new game, new game+, options, etc' menu. I had to do a few things around the house. My wife came over to the TV with my 2yo son and he picked up the controller and started hitting things. I'm guessing he hit new game because it was at the beginning. I realized what happened and quit to the menu and it seems my fear was justified as the New Game+ option is gone. Anyone know if it's completely lost or is there a way to start a new game+ still. I think I'm fucked though. :( I'm not sure i have the will to replay the entire game just to get back to where I was.

NG+ keeps all your progress once you've visited the top of your village again. Plus you get that new view on things.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Phil Fish really is a bizzare individual to put a puzzle in the game with no clue to solution. A big "fuck you" just because he can. 'Deliberately Obtuse' is definitely the go to phrasing for everything about the game's B-side. "Oh but you were supposed to collaborate on brute forcing the solution. That was my genius intention all along. Choke on it."

If Fez's anti-cubes and red blocks were supposed to be answer to Braid's secret stars, it sorely failed to reach any of that great game design (IGNORE THE ONE AWFUL ONE, DAMN YOU BLOW).

The best part of Fez is definitely the level that syncs up to the music. A lot more of that would have been appreciated rather than just empty room upon room with ambient chiptune synth pouring in ad nauseum.

I wish the track "Love" was looped a couple of times >_>

Phil Fish really is a bizzare individual to put a puzzle in the game with no clue to solution. A big "fuck you" just because he can. 'Deliberately Obtuse' is definitely the go to phrasing for everything about the game's B-side.

There is a way to solve it, nobody has though. Someone just either figured it out randomly or was told, because they're not providing answers.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
There is a way to solve it, nobody has though. Someone just either figured it out randomly or was told, because they're not providing answers.

They were told, and the same person that told them says theres nothing in the game beyond brute forcing it.

Kritz

Banned
I just finished the game for the first time, and got my new game + on. I don't know if I will bother playing any more on the basis that I am all puzzled out, and I feel like anything interesting to come from playing more of this will just be put up as a text scrawl on a wiki somewhere.

Primary I'm tired out because I spent roughly three hours with a nodepad in hand decrypting the fake language the game uses. And I have to say, that was almost as fun as the game itself. If not more. I didn't access the internet or use any fancy computer technology, just purely based on the occurrence of them.

Spoilers for my train of thought, and general actual spoilers:

So, my first sighting of this language was in the neon signed abandoned world. I had gotten 16 cubes before even going into any of the doors, so I got to see inside those three doors one after the other. I didn't really know what to make of the alphabet, except that from the billboard it seemed to be typed vertically. I got to the forth area, the village with people, and decided that I'd try and work out what the language is on my own. Took a trip back to the neon area, and saw a sign that had four symbols, and when you rotated, it had the same bottom three symbols but the top one was different.

I realised that one of the words was probably FOOD, and deducted that the other word was probably GOOD. So I knew the symbol for O and D, and knew two symbols that could be either F or G. I spoke to quite a few villagers, and noticed one that had three lots of two symbols on the rightmost side. I realised these are probably "HA HA HA". Then found a few villagers that said a really short phrase. And I knew most of the letters.

"??O DO / HO? DO"

This was when I realised that it read right to left, top to bottom and not left to right. It said, or so I guessed, "HOW DO YOU DO". From there it was a lot of changing onto letters. I knew what "H" and "W" were, so "WHAT", "WHO", "WHERE" came very quickly. So I knew the symbol for T, the symbol for E and the symbol for R.

And that's all there is to it, really. From there it was just wheel of fortune phrase guessing.

Embarrassingly I still don't know the number system. 1, 2, 3 and 10 are easy. But I can't work out the logic for how they go together. Kinda looks like a clock or something. I don't really care. I guessed by trial and error the symbol for 6, as the bell puzzle relies on those numbers and I figured I needed to bang the thing 4-9 times (and got it on the third try, thus meaning the symbol was 6).

Sorry for the massive black bar, people in this thread who haven't New Game +'d. Probably not a very interesting post, but I'll say it was really rewarding doing that myself without the help of the internet. A nice healthy bit of deduction as a break from my programming courses.

So I could really use some help. Will spoiler tag just for the heck of it.

I just unlocked the 16 cube door. It's the fourth door in the first hub. I go through and I'm in a level that's basically a building with a bunch of neon lights and signs. And I can't find anything at all. I don't know what to do, where to go, nothing.
Any tips would be great.

Quoting myself because I still need help!

RedSwirl

Can I at least get a hint on how the letters translate? I've already found the stone and gotten the pangram hint, but I'm totally lost as to matching up the letters.

I bought this last night and got about 28 cubes. I'm really enjoying the game so far. I hope they can patch the technical issues. I've had one hard lock and constant hitching when the game autosaves.

Can I at least get a hint on how the letters translate? I've already found the stone and gotten the pangram hint, but I'm totally lost as to matching up the letters.

It reads from top to bottom, right to left. So the top right letter first, moving down, then go to the left row when you're done with the current row.

T L
H I
I K
S E

bananas

Banned
So apparently there are images hidden in the Fez soundtrack:

allaze-eroler said:
well, hello folks, i recently register here because i did discover something that nobody did noticed it :

after i read alot about black monolith, i did some search and i was thinkink of something : what happen if i use sound into spectrum ? which i did follow the youtube video that you can check there :

http://youtu.be/4LP6nDRbDOA?t=2m1s

if you don't believe me, go buying the soundtrack of fez which you can find there : disasterpeace.com/

once done, take the song called "continum" and do follow the video above and then you will normally see this pic :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14183130/we_are_watching.png

as you can see, it's actually the eye ! that explain why the text from tome artifact sound very obscure but in reality, it make very sense because of that part :

"A NEW PERSPECTIVE
THINGS UNSEENS BUT ALWAYS THERE
A NEW DIRECTION"

which it explain why that we haven't though of soundwave instead of to rely on our eyes.

now i wonder what will be the other secret that are hidden in the soundtrack ?

- http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961239-fez/62594884

we_are_watching.png

I was literally thinking the other day.. I wonder if they hid stuff in the soundtrack. Like Aphex Twin used to. But then I thought.. nah, too obscure. How would we tie it to the gameplay. But lo and behold, there it is.

Just hit the credits after getting 32 cubes. Love love LOVE dat ending.

Can't wait to see how the next part of the game plays out. I hope it's somewhat obvious to get me started.

Edit: NO FUCKING WAY AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Deal with it

Edit:
FIRST PERSON VIEW????????????????????????????????? WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Fabrik

Banned
Ok I've got 32 cubes, 26 normal ones and 6 anti-cubes. I have to say I have no desire to find the other ones. From what I gather, most of them are based on deciphering the in-game language and the clues seem really obscure. It's not like it will open new areas, a couple of rooms at best I think. Overall I'm disappointed, the normal puzzles were not that clever, except a few ones like
propagating the explosion around the tower or making the floating platform rest on the turning bridge
. Technically, I found the game really impressive with a really pleasing 8 bits clean look even if there was some slowdowns after about 1 hour of play. I didn't see any bugs. The main quest was quite short and the game world is actually pretty small. I won't remember it very fondly. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Zomba13

Is that a skull in that eyeball. This game has some serious creepiness going on with it.

Yeah. It's Escher's Eye.
esc-e55.jpg

And I find this stuff cool but I just hope that the solution to the monolith puzzle isn't in them. I'm fine if the soundtrack comes with its own puzzle of sorts but not if it is needed to be able to work out the monolith.

Question about tetris, numbers etc:

So how do I actually input the codes? I'm at the waterfall where the golden door lights up, I think I've fiqured out what the tetris etc means but how do I actually input it? And is the same for the numbers etc?

Edit: Ok so I got it...BUT
How was I supposed to know to turn the code 90 degrees anti-slockwise? are all the codes the same? And how do you input the numbers and alphabet? This game man. This fucking game.

blamite

So how do I actually input the codes? I'm at the waterfall where the golden door lights up, I think I've fiqured out what the tetris etc means but how do I actually input it? And is the same for the numbers etc?

If you have the right code, simply pressing the buttons in order anywhere in the room should do the trick.

Kauwn

Neo Member

Edit: Ok so I got it...BUT
How was I supposed to know to turn the code 90 degrees anti-slockwise? are all the codes the same? And how do you input the numbers and alphabet? This game man. This fucking game.

in one of the classrooms there are pictures on the wall showing that you have to rotate it

Falt

Bah! Help... Spoilerings
63 out of 64 cubes. Missing an anti-cube. Everything bar the 64 cube room on the map is gold. What do?

Fjordson

So I'm listening to this Disasterpiece stream...my god. I am going to buy this game now just because of the music alone
It is freaking great. And I'm not even usually a fan of this sort of "chiptunes" music. This album is more like an ambient electronic record or something. Reminds me a bit of Vangelis on certain songs.

I think this is the first time I've ever listened to a game's soundtrack before actually playing any of the game :lol

Falt

Bah! Help... Spoilerings
63 out of 64 cubes. Missing an anti-cube. Everything bar the 64 cube room on the map is gold. What do?

...and I'm an idiot. A casual glance at the achievements and I spot the "Achievement Unlocked". Hurr. Durr. smh.

RedSwirl

I still can't figure out the numbers even though I have all the clues. I figured out 0-3 with the visual clues, but I still don't understand how you arrive at 4 from that system.

Top Bottom