• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

Magicked

AstroLad said:
fifty is best buy and the rest of the league is circuit city. ON NOTICE

YOU OFFEND, SIR.

We should seriously roll with the MLS in FIFA clubs. It'd be hysterical to see a MLS team get normalized to an 85. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Shinobi: So have you not been able to get on at all? If you're not able to get your games in this week we may have to just switch you out. Sucks but that's the hazard of relying on EA servers I suppose.

sneaky77

what time did you guys play last night? I was on till almost 10pm

edit: I had the same problem shinobi and fifty are having with the servers at the end of last season, I dont know if it had to do with the wireless, but I hadnt had the issue since I set the 360 with a ethernet cable

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i wasn't even able to join up until about 11 or something? i hopped on at 10 but there were like 2 other fifa players on on my entire friends list, both at varying different points in games.

you didn't miss much, the clan matches were pretty terrible. 2v1 was pretty fun though

Magicked - what time do you want to play our league match?

Also, what time are people free on Saturday for FIFA Clubs? Last time we started at about 2pm PT / 5pm ET. Let me know if that works for everyone.

Magicked

Cornballer said:
Magicked - what time do you want to play our league match?

Also, what time are people free on Saturday for FIFA Clubs? Last time we started at about 2pm PT / 5pm ET. Let me know if that works for everyone.

I will probably be able to get on later tonight. I have dinner at my parents, then I'll be back for some FIFA. If not then, we can probably play tomorrow after the Arsenal match. I may also be able to get in on the clubs action.

All right, let's shoot for 10am PT / 1pm ET tomorrow. Should be able to get a decent sized group going for that.
Magicked said:
I will probably be able to get on later tonight. I have dinner at my parents, then I'll be back for some FIFA. If not then, we can probably play tomorrow after the Arsenal match. I may also be able to get in on the clubs action.
Not sure if I'm on tonight, but I'll look for you if I get the chance. Otherwise, we can go for it after the Arsenal match tomorrow.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
cool see you guys there, would be great if we can get 6 or so. rs,ls; rm, lm; rcm, lcm; cornballer. i'd be happy to try my hand at any/defense if you wanna mix things up cornballer

Lemme play a few and see how it goes. If I'm stinking up the joint, we can switch it up a bit. Or if you just want to give it a shot. I prefer playing ANY because my positioning is poor if I'm a single player, but that might not be a big deal if I'm out on the wing.

Btw, your defensive help from center-mid was very helpful last night - you bailed me out a couple of times.

QVT says he's up for it tomorrow, so he should be there.

Magicked

AstroLad said:
cool see you guys there, would be great if we can get 6 or so. rs,ls; rm, lm; rcm, lcm; cornballer. i'd be happy to try my hand at any/defense if you wanna mix things up cornballer

I'm really starting to get used to my role as RCM, so I'll play there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cornballer said:
Lemme play a few and see how it goes. If I'm stinking up the joint, we can switch it up a bit. Or if you just want to give it a shot. I prefer playing ANY because my positioning is poor if I'm a single player, but that might not be a big deal if I'm out on the wing.

Btw, your defensive help from center-mid was very helpful last night - you bailed me out a couple of times.

QVT says he's up for it tomorrow, so he should be there.
oh nah that's cool i quite like playing at lcm. but if you get tired of it back there i got a little time in as any in our games yesterday (had been a while).

the only thing we have to make sure is to sub out whoever is at lcm at the half ecause i run my guys absolutely ragged up and down the pitch

Nice, sounds like we can get a good group together tomorrow.
AstroLad said:
oh nah that's cool i quite like playing at lcm. but if you get tired of it back there i got a little time in as any in our games yesterday (had been a while).
Cool. Just let me know if you ever want to play it, otherwise I'll continue to hog the ANY.
the only thing we have to make sure is to sub out whoever is at lcm at the half ecause i run my guys absolutely ragged up and down the pitch
We can throw Diaby, Song, or Ramsey on there at HT. Just depends what style of player you want (defensive, offensive, passer, dribbler, etc...)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yep 5-6 is the sweet spot imo. 3 just SUCKS and is boring. 4 is ok but it still is tricky for the ANY imo because you're being switched to players all over the pitch rather than being able to focus on one area.

as to subs i'll have to look at bizarro arsenal's roster again. all i really need is a good tackler and a good long passer as it's pretty rare that i make audacious forays forward

Is there any way for us to check the adjusted stats other than in-game? I'm just curious how a couple of the players stack up with the scaling.

Magicked

Cornballer said:
Is there any way for us to check the adjusted stats other than in-game? I'm just curious how a couple of the players stack up with the scaling.

If not, is there anyway we can do club friendly matches against each other so we can pause it and get the stats for a few teams? I'm pretty sure we are at somewhat of a disadvantage because we are Arsenal, but we may be able to find some players we can sub in on the team to have a big impact.

woodchuck

i might have been confused when i was looking at the club-player stats. it could be that everyone has the same exact attributes, but in-game, they only show the non-club attributes for each player.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
all i can think of is you can maybe check some of that stuff on the team page. not aware of any ability to do friendlies either

the whole thing is stupid confusing. who cares if every scrub picks manu? the better team would usually win anyway barring a huge mismatch. i really hate the stupid system as the teams and players completely lose their individuality. there's no system like that for regular ranked matches and no need for it here.

i understand it was well-intentioned but instead of wasting time with that they would have been better off tuning up some of the silly obvious things missing from the online play or just plain wrong (e.g., pause anytime is dumb as fuck, should have just ripped off PES where ANYONE can pause when the ball is out of play and NO ONE can pause when it is in play; this is not rocket science. don't even get me started on the lack of options and the various bugs)

woodchuck said:
i might have been confused when i was looking at the club-player stats. it could be that everyone has the same exact attributes, but in-game, they only show the non-club attributes for each player.
You might be right. It's confusing. Here's a quote from the FIFA peeps:
Q) What kind of strength will the CPU controlled players have? Will a Rooney be stronger than a Pantelic or will all CPU players have the same strength?

A) All players are levelled to an 85 overall. The individual attributes have all been set to relative strengths of the player’s preferred position. So all CBs will have the same set of stats and all RWs will have the same set of stats, but their attributes will be different based on the needs of their position. If a user moves a player out of their preferred position, their overall rating may drop.
Still seems like Henry and Benzema are stupid fast, and I don't know how they're adjusting for height differences.
AstroLad said:
the whole thing is stupid confusing. who cares if every scrub picks manu? the better team would usually win anyway barring a huge mismatch. i really hate the stupid system as the teams and players completely lose their individuality. there's no system like that for regular ranked matches and no need for it here.
Right. I would have preferred a system where they give everyone the same generic players and allow you to tweak the lineups, formations, and tactics before entering games, or just let everyone play with whoever they want like you said. One way or the other would be nice since this halfway solution does render picking specific players somewhat useless.

I do agree that most of the times we win or lose it's based on our level of play versus the other teams rather than the teams selected. However, tactically I think we match up better against some teams.
e.g., pause anytime is dumb as fuck, should have just ripped off PES where ANYONE can pause when the ball is out of play and NO ONE can pause when it is in play; this is not rocket science. don't even get me started on the lack of options and the various bugs
Yup, the pausing thing is infuriating. For a game that's consistently in the Top 10 XBL titles for online play, you'd think they would've patched some of that crap out by now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Still seems like Henry and Benzema are stupid fast, and I don't know how they're adjusting for height differences.

Exactly, I was somewhat hopeful about the apparent recalibrating of each player's individual stats rather than the creation of generic stats for each position. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if even the EA guys didn't know specifically. The height thing is a big issue if the mode really is as they present it. Obviously you're going to want the taller player all things being equal. smh

A couple of things from perusing the EA Forums (abandon hope ye who enter here blah blah blah)

- Apparently a number of clubs play with no one on ANY. It can enhance defense in some cases, but it's a pain getting the ball back from the AI players sometimes which can stifle counter attacks and offense in general. The general assumption is that AI players play at the 'Professional' level.
- There was some talk that the captain is the only person who can bring the keeper out, but I have no idea if that's true. We should test it.
- Some people said the club players were scaled to 85 keeping their individual stats to some extent (e.g. Henry's still fast, but not quite as fast) whereas others were convinced that all forwards are exactly the same. I probably tend to believe the former rather than the latter.
- It was also noted that there's a glitch where sometimes teams won't get scaled at all heading into a match which means you're out of luck playing with an MLS team, but it's not a bad deal if you're Barca/ManU. Seems like in any case the player ratings accessed when in a FIFA Clubs game are typically kind of glitchy and not necessarily to be trusted.

That's about all I can divine from this time around.

woodchuck

Cornballer said:
- It was also noted that there's a glitch where sometimes teams won't get scaled at all heading into a match which means you're out of luck playing with an MLS team, but it's not a bad deal if you're Barca/ManU. Seems like in any case the player ratings accessed when in a FIFA Clubs game are typically kind of glitchy and not necessarily to be trusted.

oh EA

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can't even imagine the amount of cheesing that goes in in the high level Clubs play, but I have to say most of our games are pretty close and fun regardless.

TDG

Banned
Second goal was from Schelotto, actually.

Good game. Finally I broke out of my offensive slump. Everything went right for me. You scared me with a few of your corners and crosses in the second half, though.

N.A

Banned
I'll be on later today for some clubs around 5:30-6-00pm GMT, I also have to fit my league match with woodchuck into that at some point.

And I finally have a working mic!

Magicked

Cornballer said:

This happened to us last night when we first started. I was subbing in Altidore, and I noticed that the stats were normal (as in not 85). Fortunately, the other team forfeited that game.:lol

The next game I captained the stats were all 85 when I looked. I guess we should check to make sure they are adjusted before every match.

Might not be a bad idea to stick with Arsenal if that keeps on happening. At least we wouldn't be at that much of a disadvantage. I wonder if it's an issue of the way the stats display or whether they actual change. Might be some of each.

Magicked and I are going to hop on now and play our league game. After that we'll be up for some FIFA Clubs whenever you guys are ready.

woodchuck

i dont think i can play any Club matches after my league match at 1pm est. the quest for .500 will have to continue without me

woodchuck

good game NA. your crosses were really good. i dont think i won a single ball in the air. i need to adjust my tactics. arsenal's tactics aren't working for fc dallas :lol

but that first goal pissed me off so much where the goalie just stood there like a dumbass even though i was holding Y to bring him out and control the ball after i knocked the ball away from you.

N.A

Banned
LA Galaxy 2 - 0 FC Dallas
Shots 10 - 10
On Target 9 - 5
Scorers: Gordon (45') Buddle (53')

Good game woodchuck.

I'm very happy with that game. The first goal was fortunate but I enjoyed the second. I should of scored 2 more later on as well. Ever since I learned to use LT when jostling (from this thread) I seem to be a lot better at defending crosses.

RSL 1-0 SJ
16 Shots 17
14 SOG 5

Movsisyan 109'

Ridiculous number of shots for both of us. The goal that went under Cannon in injury time was a knee to the groin. Then I had those two chances right after that. Oh well. Good game.

Top Bottom