• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Actually on this point of five-star teams, based on the previous league I would much rather that these teams be used and given to players who have finished worse in the past. Neither Chelsea nor ManU nor Arsenal nor Barca etc. etc. etc. even made the semis in the last league, so I'm not really as motivated to artificially restrict the league and I actually think it would be counterproductive.

Magicked

AstroLad said:
Actually on this point of five-star teams, based on the previous league I would much rather that these teams be used and given to players who have finished worse in the past. Neither Chelsea nor ManU nor Arsenal nor Barca etc. etc. etc. even made the semis in the last league, so I'm not really as motivated to artificially restrict the league and I actually think it would be counterproductive.

This time, however, I will NOT be picking the Crew. I still did pretty well with them last time, but it made things a lot more difficult.

I like the idea of doing the premiership. I also don't think you should restrict any teams. It wouldn't be the premiership without the top 4.

God I hope I get West Ham United!!!!!

Thats my love.

I'm forever blowing bubbles.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here's the playoff format. We'd like to get this started ASAP so please finish your games.

Playoffs
Conference Semifinals will be #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs #3 of course.

Round 1-2: Play home & away games. Lower seed is first home team. OT does not count. PKs do not count. Feel free to quit out after regulation if you are tied at the end of either of the first two games.

If aggregate score at end of both games (180m) is tied, play third game with higher seed hosting, in this game OT and PKs count.

Write down stats and goalscorers and post here as usual.

Finals: One game, with OT and PKs, winner take all.

woodchuck

also, for the playoffs, there's no need to record shots and stuff. just goal scorers.

and, we're NOT doing the away-goal tiebreaker

When do yall expect to launch the next season so I can start brushing up on my skills with shitty teams....... as I haven't been a member of the league I bet I will be getting the last pick available.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
probably do sign-ups early April start mid-April or something.

on the w/l regular season is over so any subs we need will just be picked from people who didn't make the playoffs. your enthusiasm is noted however.

N.A

Banned
Well played Magicked. I thought it was a close game before the horror own goal. I had to push up which I've never had to do before with Galaxy and it really cost me. I missed 3 sitters though...

Not the best note on which to end my final game, gonna practice more before the playoffs.

Magicked

RSL 3 - 0 LAG

Shots: 10 - 8
SOT: 2 - 1

Goals:
Morales
Movsisyan
Klein - OG

GG N.A. I gave Buddle and Gordon a lot more attention this time since they were so difficult for me last time. My forwards made some great runs for me this time as well and I was able to find some good shooting opportunities. There was also nothing you could have done about the Klein OG. If he didn't put it in, Movsisyan would have. You're still top of the league though. :)

N.A

Banned
Magicked said:
You're still top of the league though. :)

I've only won 1 of my last 4, not a good sign going into the playoffs.

Edit: I'm also not top if woodchuck wins his last game as our goal difference is now equal. I wish I had tried to limit the damage a bit more now.

woodchuck

argh. i was hoping Galaxy would win and keep the top spot. if RSL gets #1, i'll most likely have to play galaxy. i dont think i can get #1 since i'd have to beat chivas by more than 3 goals.

edit- woops. it looks like the GD is the same now with the 3-0 defeat. so all i have to do is beat chivas and hope cornballer can beat magicked last game

i match up terribly against galaxy. i like to play my backline high which puts me in tough situations against buddle and gordon

N.A

Banned
woodchuck said:
argh. i was hoping Galaxy would win and keep the top spot. if RSL gets #1, i'll most likely have to play galaxy. i dont think i can get #1 since i'd have to beat chivas by more than 3 goals.

i match up terribly against galaxy. i like to play my backline high which puts me in tough situations against buddle and gordon

Nope, after my loss our goal difference is equal, so any win will put you top.

Edit: You edited. I'd prefer to play you, I haven't beaten Magicked yet :p.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
It works for the best. Have magicked win the last game then I can play him if I finish in
4th place.

edit-damn if he loses I guess he'll be 4th place and I'll be 3 if I can beat Daigoro

Things are looking interesting

woodchuck

i remember magicked scored a great goal against me from outside the box with beckerman.

i need to shoot more with richitti from long range. i scored an awesome goal with him against qvt as well as against astro the other day. i think the ball got deflected and came to him outside the box and he fired a rocket to the top corner that goalie got a hand on but it went in anyway

...of course, i cant save my online goals even though you can in nhl and madden

Magicked

woodchuck said:
i remember magicked scored a great goal against me from outside the box with beckerman.

i need to shoot more with richitti from long range. i scored an awesome goal with him against qvt as well as against astro the other day. i think the ball got deflected and came to him outside the box and he fired a rocket to the top corner that goalie got a hand on but it went in anyway

...of course, i cant save my online goals even though you can in nhl and madden

Yea, that was a sweet one. Nice avatar btw. :D

Daigoro

Tf53 said:
Cornballer and Daigoro, I have a deadline on Thursday, and I'm out of town on Sat (returning on Sunday). In addition to that, I have to help my in-laws move (closer to us as well, eek :p). So I'm kinda packed. I'll try to find some time to play the matches, so let me know when is a good time for you.

i think mornings for me would be best for you from what i remember. im -5 GMT. and i dont see you around in the evenings that much (i think...). ill PM you on LIVE.

and Chris im sure ill see you around shortly. i just need to tear myself away from RE5 long enough to get our game in. we'll get that done soon im sure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn own goal. Might as well get it all out of my system now when it doesn't matter.

NY - COL
0 - 1
Shots: 12-6
SOG: 4-4
Goal: Boyens 65' (OG)

woodchuck

ugh, played like shit in the 1st half. kept turning the ball over which led to goals by chris. did score a nice goal in the 90th minute from just outside the box.

but don't worry chris. karma will come back to bite you in the ass for doing the robot after you scored your goals!

woodchuck

ChrisGoldstein said:
I foul clean son. That header after the chip warranted a robot though....lol

if any goal warranted a robot, it was my last goal. all your goals were sooooo lame. don't worry. you'll get your comeuppance in the playoffs.

woodchuck

haha, i'm just playing.

yeah, i noticed you were drunk when you were trying to invite me. :lol

but you'll still get your comeuppance.

comeuppance.

woodchuck

also, if you already know you're in the playoffs, please do not wait till the last minute to finish your games. let's get the playoffs started asap

Magicked

1st place is mine to take. Both of you shouldn't worry though, because I'm going to take one of you out of the picture in the first round. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
strike if you are around at night let's play our game. grkazan and sneaky if you play your last games then we can have the playoffs all set on the EC side

unrelatedly, we're gonna have to figure out with the next league the best way to do it. i don't want people quitting out b/c they are banned and if we have a full 20 chances are at least a couple will be. sucks that the online forum can't be viewed but tbh we have all the info in google spreadsheets anyway

Magicked

CB and I should be playing our last game tonight, then we can begin the eastern playoffs. If I play woodchuck, I'm going to have to think about my tactics. He gave me a hard time when we played the second time.

Magicked

GG, CB. Almost had my hat trick with free kicks. :p I'm not usually that good at putting free kicks on target, much less in the back of the net. :lol

Edit: BTW, goals were Morales (2) and Movsisyan (1). Not sure if you were going to update with those or not.

article-1135510-033258D3000005DC-113_468x376.jpg

Good luck in the playoffs.

Top Bottom