• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

Daigoro

woodchuck, i sent you a FR on LIVE.

let me know when you want to get our game in. im available early afternoons and after 10pm EST weeknights.

Daigoro

Colorado 0 (4 shots, 0 on)- Dallas 1 (11 shots, 6 on)

25 minute J. Cunningham. GG woodchuck. you could have had a few more easily.

i am SO bad at this game. its pretty pathetic.

woodchuck

good game. i was fucking scared at the end there. also, wtf, your goalie is terrible. he couldn't catch that lob pass :lol. at least your defenders were there to steal it from me.

just based on that game, it seems like you're pretty aggressive on defense which opens up opportunities for through balls. i was having the same problem but then changed my Defense either to a lower press or "contain" in the cusotm tactics

also, when i control my defender, i hold left trigger to "strafe" so i can keep the defender in front of me. also, it seems like your team is weak in the air. do you hold left trigger to "jostle" for position on headers?

Left trigger jostles when the ball is in the air? I didn't know that. I usually just try and shove the opposing player out of the way manually by moving the left stick.

Let me know when you want to play this week, woodchuck. I should be home after 5pm PT most nights. I'm up for it whenever.

Daigoro

woodchuck said:
good game. i was fucking scared at the end there. also, wtf, your goalie is terrible. he couldn't catch that lob pass :lol. at least your defenders were there to steal it from me.

just based on that game, it seems like you're pretty aggressive on defense which opens up opportunities for through balls. i was having the same problem but then changed my Defense either to a lower press or "contain" in the cusotm tactics

also, when i control my defender, i hold left trigger to "strafe" so i can keep the defender in front of me. also, it seems like your team is weak in the air. do you hold left trigger to "jostle" for position on headers?

yeah, that was a close one at the end, but it went predictably wide. too bad.

on D i double team a lot, i am very aggressive. it actually works pretty well for the most part, but last night was a bit much and i could see the very large gaps opening as i took defenders out of position.

also by the end i was on all offense just to try and get some damn shots off.

that fact that i handt played in about 4-5 days was helping me either :/

didnt know about L trigger for getting position on headers, ill try that. thanks.

SJ 1 - 1 FCD
3 shots 12
3 sog 6

Van Den Bergh 37'
Denton 59'

We experienced the curse of the invisible player towards the very end of the match, so we called it a draw in the 85th minute.

Tried the jostling thing, but I can't quite get it to work yet.

Magicked

Magicked said:
Yea, like you won't be able to predict how badly I'm going to destroy you!

<3

It was a good match. Lots of end to end stuff. I felt like I was fighting pretty hard at the end to defend that 1-0 lead.

And the goal was Movsisyan. :D

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Magicked said:
<3

It was a good match. Lots of end to end stuff. I felt like I was fighting pretty hard at the end to defend that 1-0 lead.

And the goal was Movsisyan. :D

Yeah I missed a couple of key chances early on and then you scored. I suck if I concede an early goal it messes up my game plan.

You're really good with those mls teams man, my game revolves around spamming special moves and I cant do any with these teams =( It's more of great passing when you have a lower tier team.

You outplayed me but when you beat me at street fighter that made me even more mad.

we got to play some more street fighter 4 we're pretty even I think, I couldnt beat the computer on easy either I tried.

I havnt liked a fighting game since the 90's this is really good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'm tempted to get it but i've always been terrible at fighters even in my days as a kid when i'd run to 7eleven with pocketfuls of quarters to play sf2ce with my friends and the weird teens that hung out there all day playing the game. i would wind up giving up right in the middle of trying to learn my first combo (over a decade later and i still haven't learned one). plus i'd need to buy a stick for it.

the sad/funny thing is that even though i love games of all types i could probably get by with ONLY fifa for the entire year. the key is to just pick different leagues and do random matches. i played with my brother for like three hours on sunday and probably could have played for another five like that

AndresON777

shooting blanks
i got the sf4 game pad, it's 40 bucks and it makes your xbl arcade games easier imo. I sucked really bad at N+ but with this dpad I'm much better...it's kind of like that old genesis 6 button pad. I never had a saturn so I cant compare it to it.

funny you say that because yeah I hardly played it in the arcade games when I was a kid because I'd get rocked so bad. I got into it a lot when it came out on the genesis.

It's a very pretty game too, me and magicked were laughing pretty hard playing it the matches get really intense.

if you're getting beat up there's a revenge meter that fills up and you can do the special moves they showed in the trailers which focus in on your characters face.

this is just like street fighter 2 I think that's why older players like myself are really digging it....a lot of old players did not like SF3

woodchuck

oh also, i think to prevent the invisible player glitch:

1) don't sub in multiple people at the same time
2) watch the entire cutscene that introduces the player

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
one thing i've noticed so far in the new league: no huge blowouts yet. we were getting some genuinely weird ones last season (even in games where the teams were balanced)

AndresON777

shooting blanks
all and all I think it makes the game different since you really have to play smart with mls teams, one dumb mistake can cost you a game...where as with the 5 star teams you're always in it

N.A. when do you want to play dude? I think you're euro so we have to hook that up. I generally play at night eastern time, although if you're available on sunday I'm home all day...or friday I think I dont work

Yeah only one blowout and that was strike villain beating fivehorizons 5-0. If he scores early on you it's hard to stop him.

Magicked

ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah I missed a couple of key chances early on and then you scored. I suck if I concede an early goal it messes up my game plan.

You're really good with those mls teams man, my game revolves around spamming special moves and I cant do any with these teams =( It's more of great passing when you have a lower tier team.

You outplayed me but when you beat me at street fighter that made me even more mad.

we got to play some more street fighter 4 we're pretty even I think, I couldnt beat the computer on easy either I tried.

I havnt liked a fighting game since the 90's this is really good.

I love passing the ball around in FIFA. I really feel like I can open up defenses and make the game flow really well if I'm doing it correctly. Also, the fact that with auto-shooting for this league turned on, I can shoot from distance somewhat reliably and get the ball on target. Even if the keeper makes the save, it still becomes a threat and your opponent has to be ready to deal with that too.

Since we're doing MLS, it plays towards my style. I'm terrible at the dribbling moves and I can be pretty bad at defending them too, so I'm glad others can't exploit that very well against me. :lol

And our SF4 games were great. I'm debating whether I want to pick up a fightpad tonight on my way home from work. We'll have to do some more matches, because almost all of them were really close.

I really enjoy how SF4 plays like SF2. It seems like it relies a lot less on you being able to pull of special moves and crazy combos to get the win. Sure it helps to know that stuff, but you can get by pretty well by just using all the different regular attacks (for now at least). It's some good stuff! I need to unlock more characters.

N.A

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
all and all I think it makes the game different since you really have to play smart with mls teams, one dumb mistake can cost you a game...where as with the 5 star teams you're always in it

N.A. when do you want to play dude? I think you're euro so we have to hook that up. I generally play at night eastern time, although if you're available on sunday I'm home all day...or friday I think I dont work

Yeah only one blowout and that was strike villain beating fivehorizons 5-0. If he scores early on you it's hard to stop him.

I'll probably play you Sunday then as I very rarely play my 360 at night.

I'm a little hesitant to play more games as I want to keep my 100% record :D .

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Magicked said:
I really enjoy how SF4 plays like SF2. It seems like it relies a lot less on you being able to pull of special moves and crazy combos to get the win. Sure it helps to know that stuff, but you can get by pretty well by just using all the different regular attacks (for now at least). It's some good stuff! I need to unlock more characters.

Yep. That's what makes it so awesome. The special moves look amazing but really dont inflict as much damage as in other games (sf3 mainly) where special moves take away the whole life bar.

I'd recommend the fight pad man it makes playing the game a lot easier.

Of course my problem is I only know how to do the special moves lol, I suck using the regular attacks.

That's the reason I can win with blanka because that was always my favorite character, I need to learn his ultra and special moves

edit---cool N.A. we'll play sunday that's the best day for me since I work mornings us time

I'm done with my league games for the week, so let me know if anyone wants to scrimmage sometime.

I'd also be interested in having a large group of us play the 10v10 against other people. Could be fun to combine our skills.

Magicked

Cornballer said:
I'm done with my league games for the week, so let me know if anyone wants to scrimmage sometime.

I'd also be interested in having a large group of us play the 10v10 against other people. Could be fun to combine our skills.

Yup, we need to get on this.

sneaky77

I just picked up ST4 as well so if anyone wants to beat me up, you're all welcome to.

Also, I am glad we are doing mls because it seems the update has way overpowered some players like Cristiano Ronaldo

sneaky77 said:
Also, I am glad we are doing mls because it seems the update has way overpowered some players like Cristiano Ronaldo
You also don't want to play against woodchuck controlling Messi - it's kinda scary.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Cornballer said:
You also don't want to play against woodchuck controlling Messi - it's kinda scary.

I want to see that.

Valencia is actually really good after the transfer update. Silva and Villa are awesome

woodchuck

all i did with messi was run straight and no one can stop him :lol. yeah, good thing we're doing mls.

still gotta figure out custom tactics. i'm still using arsenal's tactics but i have this shitty midfield

AndresON777

shooting blanks
woodchuck said:
all i did with messi was run straight and no one can stop him :lol

good I was afraid you had turned into one of those guys that uploads you tube videos doing all of the tricks like it's easy

:D

What time are people typically available on weekdays for 10v10? I usually schedule bicoastal meetups at 7pm PT / 10pm ET and that seems to work for most, but if anyone has other preferences let me know.

I suppose we might as well use the original team that QVT/Astro put together, eh?

woodchuck said:
all i did with messi was run straight and no one can stop him :lol. yeah, good thing we're doing mls.
I was trying to strafe and keep up, but it wasn't happening. Gallas is no spring chicken.

woodchuck

messi is freaking strong in the game too. i was playing tf53 the other day as arsenal, and messi kept knocking adebayor off the ball. wtf. in the game, messi would probably be arsenal's best defender.

he'd also be arsenal's best goalie too :lol. dude can jump like nate robinson in the game

All right, I'll be on at 10pm ET. I'll try and get QVT to play. Anyone else from this thread is welcome, too. I guess we'll meet up in the dressing room, eh?

Daigoro

id be up for some co-op teams too. havent done that since the first week 09 came out (we'll probably never get that 10v10 achievement, what a bitch that one is). im not available until around 10:20 ps EST though.

maybe ill jump in the second game with you guys.

hey! anyone have tips for Manager Mode? after like the first 5 games all of my guys are buried in the red and exhausted and their stamina bars are about 2 cm long.

i just tried upping the staff fitness level. so hopefully that works. i just wonder if im doing something wrong...

We'll look for you 10:20ish, daigoro. Just sent one of us a message.

Which team are you playing with in Manager mode? MLS players get the shaft when it comes to stamina in FIFA09. I don't have too much trouble as long as I rotate the players a bit and check the calendar to make sure I don't have too many matches stacking up.

Daigoro

yeah, im using MLS.

it seems like the other teams are fatigued as well, just not as much. my 5th or so game, all of my players except my keeper were almost dead before the game.

Hmmm, it might be problematic that you're using MLS teams. Woodchuck and I were talking last night about how quickly they fatigue in-game. When playing w/ my EPL team, usually a striker or winger who goes the full 90 will dip into the yellow, but the defense doesn't usually. Guess you need to spend some money on the fitness coach and keep rotating players. The one thing to keep a close eye on is scheduling snafus that can screw you - oftentimes (at least in the EPL simulations) they schedule two games (cup + league) on the same day, but you can't tell that they did that until you exit the first match and all of your players are gassed. It isn't very apparent from the calendar function, either.

Daigoro

hm, thanks. ill just keep at is and see how it goes. so far ive had to be pretty creative with rotating playings and putting guys in different positions. and im only like 5 games in! :lol

should be tough. im going to try to spend more on fitness and see how it goes.

It's always a little rough going when you start, but it gets easier and easier as you continue. Don't worry,you'll be steam-rolling people soon enough. I started in a lower division which made the initial part a little easier for me, then got promoted to the EPL.

Magicked

Daigoro said:
id be up for some co-op teams too. havent done that since the first week 09 came out (we'll probably never get that 10v10 achievement, what a bitch that one is). im not available until around 10:20 ps EST though.

maybe ill jump in the second game with you guys.

hey! anyone have tips for Manager Mode? after like the first 5 games all of my guys are buried in the red and exhausted and their stamina bars are about 2 cm long.

i just tried upping the staff fitness level. so hopefully that works. i just wonder if im doing something wrong...

I just started a League 2 game in England, and I've had the same issues. The first thing I did though is blow all my money on a few transfers, and upgrading my fitness coach to 4. That has helped a lot! You will definitely have to rotate players, but when you get your fitness coach up there, players can recover very quickly. Also, I had the problem of playing about 2 games a week for a little over a month. That was a problem too. :lol

Can't wait to try some 10v10 tonight (even though I'm sure we won't get 10). I'm sure we'll run into some guys that have figured out exactly how to exploit the game and we'll get all pissed. :p

Good games of FIFA Clubs, everyone. Guess we should work on our teamwork a bit. :lol

It was a lot of fun, so maybe we can make it a weekly thing.

N.A

Banned
Any chance of playing a 10v10 game at the weekend seeing as most people are on Saturday/Sunday afternoon?

Top Bottom