• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) World Cup Tournament Thread

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sneaky77 said:
If help is needed for the next tourney I don't mind offering help to try to keep standings updated and such
very cool. i think we should do sign-ups in the near future. i'd like to do a full 20-person premiership but part of me thinks this is asking for trouble.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
20 people is a lot. Although yall are good enforcers lol.

Strike let me know when you want to play our games dude. I'll be working all day today but I'm free all weekend. I rather not play sunday tho

AndresON777

shooting blanks
lol

yeah man tomorrow or saturday is good I'll hit you up I see you on quite often.

woodchuck said:
Playoff Rules
Round 1-2: Play home & away games. Lower seed is first home team. OT DOES NOT COUNT. Quit out after regulation if you are tied at the end of either of the first two games.

If aggregate score at end of both games (180m) is tied (THERE IS NO AWAY-GOALS TIEBREAKER, JUST GO BY RAW SCORE), play third game with higher seed hosting, in this game OT and PKs count.

Write down stats and goalscorers and post here as usual (home team writes down stats, so feasibly one person could have stats for two games to post).

Finals: One game, with OT and PKs, winner take all.

will be posted in the op

I'm lower seed so I'll send the invite, no ot is cool

AstroLad said:
It's like we're living parallel FIFA lives, as I RROD'd right before my MLS playoff match with Strike.
Just let me know next time you red ring, so I can prepare for mine to lock up. :p I need to call tonight and get my system sorted out. Always such an annoyance and they always find new and creative ways to misspell my name.
AstroLad said:
i think we should do sign-ups in the near future. i'd like to do a full 20-person premiership but part of me thinks this is asking for trouble.
That'd be awesome, but 20 people is probably too large of a group to handle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We did, what, 30 with the Champions League I think? And that felt like about ten too many (being nice). I'd be happy limiting it to just 10 or whatever too. If we're not going to do 20 I'd rather not do a sign-up thread at all and just go with people we know.

woodchuck

I think 20 is too many also.

I think you guys should just ask the people in this thread + magicked who wants to play. the nice thing about doing a single table/double round robin league is that it doesn't matter if you have an odd number of teams.

The only downside may be the length of the league. if people can commit to something with summer fast approaching.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
I think 20 is too many also.
You highly underestimate the level of commitment among random people on GAF. Especially random Juniors. These are people who are looking to prove themselves to the league, and ultimately to GAF, and this desire is manifested through almost-insane dedication.

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
You highly underestimate the level of commitment among random people on GAF. Especially random Juniors. These are people who are looking to prove themselves to the league, and ultimately to GAF, and this desire is manifested through almost-insane dedication.

like the guy that picked greece? lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think he was advised by his psychiatrist to just quit cold turkey because his obsession was literally ruining his life.

Fifty

I'd rather have 12 people that care than have 12 + 8 who we have to work with to play their games, just to have a bigger league.

Fifty

Plus, really, if even *I* forget to read the rules (and quit in OT, instead of playing it)..how can we expect the junior members who post once in this thread, before going off to join 6 other leagues and eat Cheetos to read them?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, let's just embrace our idealism of creating a Virtual Rainbow Coalition of GAF FIFA fans because some of those people might (read: might) require constant messaging every week to remember to play their games.

It's like people have forgotten what this league stood for in the first place, and the Founding Principals behind it. Hint: It's not just about winning trophies and everything that comes with being a Champion.

smh

Daigoro

dont forget me bitches.

my dedication to losing game after game in these FIFA leagues is unparalleled.

someone PM me when the next league is getting started up (do i get to pick first again? :lol )

also, send me a message on LIVE if anyone wants to scrimage. im up for a quick few games mostly any time.

Fifty

Daigoro gets extra points for having been part of the WE league. Right? Man, that was fun. Except for playing Socreges' Chelsea. West coast lag + boring as sin play style. I hated that guy. And since he's no longer part of our little community, I can bad mouth him now, behind his back..like I will when Astrolad finally kicks the bucket.

woodchuck

you and fifty going to play tonight? get that capture card ready!

FIFA 09 Online services will be down for approximately 1 hour on both PS3 and Xbox 360 this morning. Specific time by platform:

PS3: 6am GMT - 7am GMT
Xbox 360: ~7am GMT - 8am GMT (start/end dependent on PS3 completion)

Downtime is to update components on the Clubs/Leagues features, as well as some updates for Ultimate Team.

Thanks

heads up to anyone playing tonight

Daigoro

right on guys. i remember getting stomped by Socreges a few times back then.

but those were the dark ages when we had to play WE on our PS2's. now its all high tech, and shiny, and Fifa.

see ya next season (or next friendly match).

k0ji-wd

i'm a stat whore so i'd like to see more emphasis on stat keeping if we're going to be doing a smaller league (the ore dedicated players won't have a problem keeping stats right)

and i'd be down to do some work on the league management side of things also, maybe in areas you guys won't cover, like a little graphics? maybe stat keeping, etc.

woodchuck

k0ji-wd said:
i'm a stat whore so i'd like to see more emphasis on stat keeping if we're going to be doing a smaller league (the ore dedicated players won't have a problem keeping stats right)

and i'd be down to do some work on the league management side of things also, maybe in areas you guys won't cover, like a little graphics? maybe stat keeping, etc.

if you want to make a nicer looking world cup bracket, go for it

Tf53

Props to Exypher for honesty and integrity. He scored off a goalie glitch in the first game, and because the result would've been a tie without it, we'll play a third game. I salute you, sir.

England - France 3 - 2

Rooney 3
Benzema 2

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
Props to Exypher for honesty and integrity. He scored off a goalie glitch in the first game, and because the result would've been a tie without it, we'll play a third game. I salute you, sir.

England - France 3 - 2

Rooney 3
Benzema 2

what goalie glitch?

Tf53

As I was putting the ball back into play, Henry decided to get up and block the kick.

Anyhoo, Exypher went through. I lost my interest in the third game after 59 minutes, when I assisted him in his 3-0 goal and got Joe Cole sent off in a blind rage tackle. Oh well, I'll have more time to do something else.

manuel_fernandes_eve_92484a.jpg

39E0B48C-C852-A4D0-87F5FF941BF44EFC.jpg

Wayne-Rooney-Manchester-United-Liverpool-Prem_2003621.jpg

Exypher

France 2 - 1 England

Henry 2
Rooney 1

France 5 - 0 England

Malouda 2
Henry 1
Benzema 1
Ribery 1

Good games Tf53, that late goal in our second match really saved me. Yeah my first goal was just really weird, I wouldn't have wanted to go through based on that.

Last game wasn't really 5-0, when the score was 3-0 Tf53 stopped trying and we just started goofing around a bit :) For the top scorers you can deduct a goal from Malouda and Benzema if you want, since they weren't genuine goals imo.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
you guys have more honesty and integrity, as those words have been defined here, than me that's for sure. i would have and will be like SUCKA

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fyi, fifty and i are playing our playoff games tonight for anyone who wants to watch
the score update on live.xbox.com lol

Ruud_Van_Nistelrooy_-_Pleased_To_Beat_You.jpg

woodchuck

Germany 6 - 2 Italy

Podolski (2)
Klose (2)
Ballack (2)

Toni (2)

First game with NA was a very cagey affair. Very defensive with few legit chances until the last 20 minutes. NA scored a beautiful goal where Di Natale made a diagonal run across Mertesacker's body. NA made an inch perfect lob through pass to Di Natale. I brought my keeper to retrieve the ball, but Di Natale headed it past my goalie's outstretched arm. Fantastic play.

Then I was given a gift when Buffon threw it short to a defender, but Podolski was standing right next to the defender. I stole the ball and scored the easy goal.

For the game winner, Podolski made a lob through ball to Marin (my LM) from the half-line. It reached Marin near the touch line. Zambrotta tried to head it out but I got the ball around him. With lots of time to make the cross and the Italian defense staggered, I made a cross to the far post where Podolski had made the run all the way from the half-line.

2nd game was entirely different. Way more open since Italy needed a couple of goals. Ballack with two free kicks from 30-35 yards out. Klose and Podolski both had great goals from the edge of the 18 yard box.

I think the primary reason I advanced is because Germany is excellent in the air. I can prevent most crosses because Mertasacker is 6'6, and then Ballack/Podolski/Klose are monsters in the box. Also, Frings and Ballack controlled the midfield on any goal kicks.

good games NA.

woodchuck

AstroLad said:
fyi, fifty and i are playing our playoff games tonight for anyone who wants to watch
the score update on live.xbox.com lol

Ruud_Van_Nistelrooy_-_Pleased_To_Beat_You.jpg

looks like i play the winner of your match.

hmmm...who would i rather face? i think i want to play whoever has the shorter players.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Showdown of the commishes would be epic. And it's not like I'm going to let some Croat carpetbaggers get in the way of that.

N.A

Banned
woodchuck said:
good games NA.

Well played.

First game I went 4-1-2-1-2 and was pretty solid at the back until I threw the ball straight to you.

Second match I used Italy's default 4-3-3 and was much too narrow so you could easily get down the wings.

I hope I get Aston Villa for the Premiership, I seem to do better with the slower/more patient teams.

Tf53

N.A said:
I hope I get Aston Villa for the Premiership, I seem to do better with the slower/more patient teams.
You also know how to play like an asshole with more defensive-minded teams. :D

Daigoro

N.A said:
Well played.

First game I went 4-1-2-1-2 and was pretty solid at the back until I threw the ball straight to you.

Second match I used Italy's default 4-3-3 and was much too narrow so you could easily get down the wings.

hope i dont get first pick then. ive been playing with Villa lately and they seems to really suit my style somehow. maybe its just their tactics, but ive had great success with them in the last few weeks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Game 1: Netherlands 2 Croatia 3
Goals: RVP, VDV; Eduardo and some real Croatians

Game 2: Croatia 0 Netherlands 6
Goals: no Croatians (not even fake ones); RVP 4, Babel, VDV

woodchuck

AstroLad said:
Game 1: Netherlands 2 Croatia 3
Goals: RVP, VDV; Eduardo and some real Croatians

Game 2: Croatia 0 Netherlands 6
Goals: no Croatians (not even fake ones); RVP 4, Babel, VDV

no explanation as to the lopsidedness of the 2nd game?

the battle of the commishes in the next round. epic. netherlands-germany. it's taken so much restraint not to make a tasteless WWII joke.

Fifty

I threw the game because Astrolad paid me money.

Actually, I threw the ball away with my GK because I'm stupid, and the other time I sent out my GK too far on a fast-moving ball, and he couldn't control it with his feet so it bumped to one of his guys. If you subtract those two purely user error goals, it's like he only won by two, which is to be expected when these two teams match up.

Top Bottom