• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

GorillaJu

Meier said:
I started the FUT for the first time tonight. In my 2 packs, I got Gervinho and Lucas amongst others. I didn't have rime to play a match..how does it work? And what do consumables and stuff do? Very little direction is provided.
Gervinho is worth some $$. Don't let him go for cheap. Sorry for double post :(

leng jai

This game still feels like it clearly riggs results with ridiculous rebound goals and strikers miraculously getting the ball back 3 tackles in a row.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
First few club games yesterday for my club Sporting BBC.

We struggled, but scored some awesome goals! Less shit defending, but that could be down to use not facing so many 90 rated cheaters so far. We don't play with an ANY so when we run into teams who do it's so hard.

Can't do the whole "let the AI defend for you", dont even know what this means at this stage as I literally just booted it up, made a pro and jumped into clubs.

As club captain how do I control my AI players the same way as last year? Do I just have to not press a thing and let them do it on their own? Pressing RB makes them contain but doesn't make them tackle...

bolbronx

Meier said:
I started the FUT for the first time tonight. In my 2 packs, I got Gervinho and Lucas amongst others. I didn't have rime to play a match..how does it work? And what do consumables and stuff do? Very little direction is provided.

I could use a few pointers on Ultimate Team as well. I'm highly confused

sneaky77

kaizoku said:
First few club games yesterday for my club Sporting BBC.

We struggled, but scored some awesome goals! Less shit defending, but that could be down to use not facing so many 90 rated cheaters so far. We don't play with an ANY so when we run into teams who do it's so hard.

Can't do the whole "let the AI defend for you", dont even know what this means at this stage as I literally just booted it up, made a pro and jumped into clubs.

As club captain how do I control my AI players the same way as last year? Do I just have to not press a thing and let them do it on their own? Pressing RB makes them contain but doesn't make them tackle...

The CPU AI for club players has been much improved this season. Last yr we always played with an ANY but this season is really not needed, at least for now.

SHarris78

Previous to my earlier post rubbishing this game, i would just like to confirm and add to it.

Trying the daily challenge kicks me out to desktop, there are NO players online whatsoever apparently, and my live season tells me i cant take part in any more matches as i'm currently up to date with the fixtures despite the fact that i'm not.

Combine this with an awful game engine and we're still waiting for a decent footy game.

But then again, EA is all about presentation, and in that regard its top notch. Shame thats all they give a shit about.

JWong

Banned
SHarris78 said:
Previous to my earlier post rubbishing this game, i would just like to confirm and add to it.

Trying the daily challenge kicks me out to desktop, there are NO players online whatsoever apparently, and my live season tells me i cant take part in any more matches as i'm currently up to date with the fixtures despite the fact that i'm not.

Combine this with an awful game engine and we're still waiting for a decent footy game.

But then again, EA is all about presentation, and in that regard its top notch. Shame thats all they give a shit about.
Sounds like an issue with your PC more than anything because there are players online.

Menelaus

Banned
JWong, holding it down for FIFA.

07-minister.jpg

Someone needs to tell the dev team that there's no advantage law in penalties... lol

Just saw the advantage icon pop up after a handball in the penalty box, referee only called the faul after a while.

sneaky77

Metalmurphy said:
Someone needs to tell the dev team that there's no advantage law in penalties... lol

Just saw the advantage icon pop up after a handball in the penalty box, referee only called the faul after a while.

There is if the play results in a goal..

sneaky77 said:
There is if the play results in a goal..

I was under the impression that if there was a fault in the penalty box then the fault must be called immediately, instead of waiting to see what happens.

Namius

leng jai said:
This game still feels like it clearly riggs results with ridiculous rebound goals and strikers miraculously getting the ball back 3 tackles in a row.

Nah, don't think so. The game feels pretty legit in terms of competition IMO. I think unlike Nintendo games, which give a huge boost to losing players to keep things fun, these 'simulation' games don't really give advantage to losing players.

Metalmurphy said:
I was under the impression that if there was a fault in the penalty box then the fault must be called immediately, instead of waiting to see what happens.

Depends on amount of time passed, I believe if the foul still leads to an immediate goal that would be fine up to the discretion of the referee of course.

Goddamn this AI. Like seriously, fuck it in the ear. So fucked up. Hopefully next year all they do is fix it. Make the offense make better runs, make the defense hold its line and actually not be retarded. Oh, and for the love of God, help each player to not act as if they just shit themselves when a loose ball is 2 feet in front of them. Goddamnit.

adelante

sneaky77 said:
The CPU AI for club players has been much improved this season. Last yr we always played with an ANY but this season is really not needed, at least for now.

Yea they've really improved the AI for clubs this year, although not to a point where I can comfortably leave the ANY slot empty but that's probably cos I'm just obsessive in holding down my defence line (and controlling every player), despite the CPU doing a good job of that this year especially in tracking runs.

Links to online threads for those who missed them (added a couple to the OP):

Son of a bitch. I think my Career mode save is corrupted. I can't load the quick save, nor the regular save I've made.

Does anyone know where I can go and reset my "saved formations" data? My first guess it that my old formations & tactics carried over helpfully from FIFA using their feature has bollocksed things up.

adelante

Fuckin hilarious reading through all the complaints on TD in the official forums. Anyway, came across these fan-made manuals made a by certain john_wisdom over there (click on thumbnails to download pdf):

And a neat video on how to defend effectively for those who are still struggling:

JWong

Banned
adelante said:
Fuckin hilarious reading through all the complaints on TD in the official forums. Anyway, came across these fan-made manuals made a by certain john_wisdom over there (click on thumbnails to download pdf):

And a neat video on how to defend effectively for those who are still struggling:

I find the constant switching pretty strange.

I'm able to defend on Legendary, but I can't score. I don't do crazy switching like that. I just contain, take away passing lanes, and force the AI to make mistakes.

Then I win in PK shootouts =3

adelante

JWong said:
I find the constant switching pretty strange.

I'm able to defend on Legendary, but I can't score. I don't do crazy switching like that. I just contain, take away passing lanes, and force the AI to make mistakes.

Then I win in PK shootouts =3
I'm used to constantly switching around in previous FIFAs because player positioning was pretty shit in those games that I have to do it manually, which often meant not selecting the player nearest to the ball. But his point on maintaining line and structure carries more weight for online modes so I find frequent switching of players very useful there.

wtf? I just bought this for my son ( birthday ) and there is no manual?
There is a little ingame tutorial, but there must be a real manual somewhere right?
Someone know?

edit: just read it. What a joke that there is no manual included :(

CozMick

Banned
Steve McQueen said:
There is a little ingame tutorial, but there must be a real manual somewhere right?
Someone know?

It's a little white leaflet which is to be known as the worst instruction manual in video game history...

Ezduo

Banned
I can defend decently enough, my problem is offense. I constantly get in a position where I should be scoring (one on one with the keeper) but my balls always go screaming off into the stands. When should I be using the finesse shot? How long should I hold the power button down?

Penalty kicks also make no sense to me. Is the little meter that pops up how far left or right I'm going to kick it?

Steve McQueen said:
Someone know?

Sames with Gears 3. Fucking what is gaming coming to if you CAN'T GIVE US A 10 PAGE GODDAM MANUAL

Bumhead

Banned
Menelaus said:
Both games suck major dong this year, just in different ways.

This has been my problem all gen. I don't either have come close to PES6 (or 5 or 4..). FIFA 12 is my personal favourite of this generation but there are already things creeping into the experience that annoy me. Going to persist with it though.

Is there enough of a PC community on GAF for this to get a PC league going?

Lead Based Paint said:
Sames with Gears 3. Fucking what is gaming coming to if you CAN'T GIVE US A 10 PAGE GODDAM MANUAL

Yeah, noticed that too :/
In case of FIFA it's really annoying....there are many moves ( 7 pages pdf ) so how will you be able to master this game without the manual? Beats me...

Hixx

Got to grips with it now, playing well on world class. Bendtner and Sessegnon tear apart all but the best defences.

CPU loves to score straight after I make a sub, tho... you can always tell when they're going to score too, they all turn into Messi on the edge of the box...

sneaky77

Steve McQueen said:
Yeah, noticed that too :/
In case of FIFA it's really annoying....there are many moves ( 7 pages pdf ) so how will you be able to master this game without the manual? Beats me...

all the moves are listed in the game.

Iztli

adelante said:

wow thnx for this :D

Menelaus

Banned
adelante said:

And this is why I don't play ANY any more in clubs. Playing in this style for several hours is exhausting.

JLG-

Steve McQueen said:
Someone know?

There is a manual. It's in the game.

Gibbo

adelante said:

Oh Shit. Anyone who is complaining that they suck at defending should watch this youtube video. The 'tap contain' method of defending is working wonders for me. I just came back from 6 online matches- and have been letting in less silly goals by avoiding the standing tackle button

ElyrionX

Every single AI player can dribble like fucking Messi. And I'm only playing on Professional, ffs. It makes TD so much more frustrating than it should be.

JWong

Banned
Steve McQueen said:
Someone know?

That's how it is going to be with future games.

Everyone is switching to ingame manuals. All EA sports titles were already announced to do so. Button Help in the settings menu is all there is for you.
ElyrionX said:
Every single AI player can dribble like fucking Messi. And I'm only playing on Professional, ffs. It makes TD so much more frustrating than it should be.
No one has Messi's speed but Messi. He has the highest speed/acceleration stat.

I've been playing and beating World Class pretty handily now, but I don't see this kind of speed you're talking about.

JWong said:
That's how it is going to be with future games.

Everyone is switching to ingame manuals. All EA sports titles were already announced to do so. Button Help in the settings menu is all there is for you.

But the ingame manuals are a joke...

JLG- said:
There is a manual. It's in the game.

Nope. There are no full manuals. The ingame manuals suck donkey balls. A decent manual for a sports game should have a manual with all moves explained. Ingame manuals don't work, I can't see myself goin out of the game, to look up a move.

It's for people/kids with no experience a really dumb decision EA

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
leng jai said:

you should play clubs with the east coast gaf club.

We have a rule, don't score two goals before the half. They always fuckin' come back. The game doesn't give us a chance.

JWong

Banned
Steve McQueen said:
Nope. There are no full manuals. The ingame manuals suck donkey balls. A decent manual for a sports game should have a manual with all moves explained. Ingame manuals don't work, I can't see myself goin out of the game, to look up a move.

It's okay to say ingame manuals suck, but to say that there isn't a full manual in the game (that lists everything) when there is one is a lie. I don't even think you tried looking for it before posting.

There's like 20+ pages of controls in the game. Yes, it sucks, but it's there. Realistically, even previous FIFA game manuals didn't list all the moves in the game, so you'll be complaining regardless.

SHarris78

Damn this fucking game. Football it certainly isnt.

Playing on Pro, live season as Swansea, first 4 games -

Man City 3 - 0 Swansea
Swansea 0 - 0 Wigan
Swansea 0 - 0 Sunderland
Arsenal 4 - 0 Swansea

Not ONE fucking goal. Not one freekick to my side. Their keepers save everything, and i've got Wigan defenders 360'ing around me on the wings.

Jeezus.

Maybe PES will be better.

SumGamer

Steve McQueen said:

While I agree with you, I reckon Youtube is better than move lists in the manual. Lots of the stuff should only be used at certain situation until you are really confident as well.

I played H2H online a game today. Was early in the 2nd half and I'm 5-2 up, the rest of the games either me passing around between my defenders and midfielders keeping possession. Tactical Defend alright, the guy's so pissed because he couldn't pressure me enough to take the ball. All he could do was "containing" until I misplace a pass (which only happen once in 10 minutes). Once I scored the sixth goal, the guy was so pissed that he keep kicking the ball into his own net. The game ends 14-2. I'm not a jerk, I only tried this in this game to see if I can pull it off. People think ping pong passing is bad. While they didn't really fix that now they make it even harder to fight for the ball. Same people are gonna be even madder this year.

Tactical Defend. Sounds good on paper, feel interesting to begin with but you cant force the ball from opponent if they know it well. When the scoreline is still a draw, it's all good, back up and keep containing until they miss. Two goals down and you are almost fucked unless you have the ball, just like what I mentioned above.

In real life, some game you see two or even three players closing down the dribbler when they really need the ball. Say UCL final and you are two goals down in the last 10 minutes. I'll bet you cash that they wont be containing any more.

I'm starting to hear people complain about AI pin-point crossing to the header, which is also result from the fact that you can't pressure the crosser while positioning to defend the header. CPU AI is too perfect at this while player-side AI is a dumb ass at defending. This is very clear when you play lower side.

To me lots of changes done right in FIFA 12, love the new creation centre. But some changes just made something feel wrong (or even more wrong). Overall, I like the game but I'm not happy to play with AI. If I want this level of stress, I'd play Dark Souls instead of FIFA. Another case of over thinking and too much realistic that it will eventually kills the game for some people.

I only play World Class level tho, Legendary would be a big NO.

SumGamer

Sorry for db post, kinda wanting to separate this post from that big lump of text.

Has anyone tried this: playing with CPU at World Class or Legendary. Attempt sliding tackle, at obvious or bizarre situation. How successful are you out of ten times? I found AI react to the tackle AFTER I press the button but BEFORE the animation even start.

Ezduo said:
I can defend decently enough, my problem is offense. I constantly get in a position where I should be scoring (one on one with the keeper) but my balls always go screaming off into the stands. When should I be using the finesse shot? How long should I hold the power button down?

Penalty kicks also make no sense to me. Is the little meter that pops up how far left or right I'm going to kick it?
You have to try and stop the moving line in or as close to the green area as possible.
The longer you hold down the shot button, the harder the kick.
While doing this, aim with the left stick but I always try to not hold the stick all the way in whichever direction as this will cause the shot to go wide.

sixghost

SumGamer said:
Sorry for db post, kinda wanting to separate this post from that big lump of text.

Has anyone tried this: playing with CPU at World Class or Legendary. Attempt sliding tackle, at obvious or bizarre situation. How successful are you out of ten times? I found AI react to the tackle AFTER I press the button but BEFORE the animation even start.
Yeah, it's really hard to get the ball back on Legendary. But really that's how it is in real life. The defending in 11 was so ridiculous and unrealisitic, you just held A/x+sprint and your defender would home in like a cruise missile and take the ball every time.

I usually play as Everton and I think it really results in much more realistic games. When I play teams like Arsenal or United, they dominate the game and most of the possession because I have trouble taking the ball away, where as playing against Wigan or Wolves it tends to be the opposite.

When it works properly I think it adds the appropriate tension and feel to certain matchups. That said, there are times where it's fucking infuriating, where they will pass the ball around in my penalty area for 25 seconds, then slow dribble through 2 defenders and score, even with mediocre players.

It's still only the 2nd week the game has been out though, so it's probably too early to judge.
SHarris78 said:
Damn this fucking game. Football it certainly isnt.

Playing on Pro, live season as Swansea, first 4 games -

Man City 3 - 0 Swansea
Swansea 0 - 0 Wigan
Swansea 0 - 0 Sunderland
Arsenal 4 - 0 Swansea

Not ONE fucking goal. Not one freekick to my side. Their keepers save everything, and i've got Wigan defenders 360'ing around me on the wings.

Jeezus.

Maybe PES will be better.
It's funny because those were almost the exact scores of their first 4 matches this season in real life.

JLG-

Steve McQueen said:

Uh.. All the moves are in the ingame manual..

adelante said:

Oh shit, between learning how to attack and that defence tut I can actually play the game now. Mostly getting wins on world class.

Top Bottom