• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

adelante said:
you were having issues with THAT?? Lol fuckin jockey and teammate press that bitch.

If you want to see fancier/more creative passing plays, either turn up the difficulty or play around with the sliders. A lot of issues that are brought up here or that I've come across myself were EASILY alleviated with slider/difficulty settings.
I wasn't having a particular issue with that case, I stayed off him on purpose because he was doing that the entire game and I wanted to capture a video. It just so happened to be the most ridiculous effort yet. I generally play on World Class. That video was taken on Pro although the video info says Amateur for some reason. However, you can jockey and secondary jockey players doing that all day, it doesn't stop them doing it. Trying to defend against it is hectic, they can turn on on a 2p. Yet when you try and pull the same moves with your players, they're janky as fuck and need about 10 touches and have the turning circle of a bus. Plus, more so than anything, it's the most unrealistic bollocks you've ever seen in your life.

adelante

Kylehimself said:
I wasn't having a particular issue with that case, I stayed off him on purpose because he was doing that the entire game and I wanted to capture a video. It just so happened to be the most ridiculous effort yet. I generally play on World Class. That video was taken on Pro although the video info says Amateur for some reason. However, you can jockey and secondary jockey players doing that all day, it doesn't stop them doing it. Trying to defend against it is hectic, they can turn on on a 2p. Yet when you try and pull the same moves with your players, they're janky as fuck and need about 10 touches and have the turning circle of a bus. Plus, more so than anything, it's the most unrealistic bollocks you've ever seen in your life.
It is indeed stupid, and thankfully I haven't ran into many situations like that. Although again, playing on World Class/Legendary and using custom tactics/sliders for more chance creation, better player runs (fabio putting himself near the line didnt help the cpu, in your case) could have something to do with it. Also, have you tried using pace control modifier? It lets your players do acute turns and cutbacks, especially with a highrated dribbler like Ashley young.

adelante said:
It is indeed stupid, and thankfully I haven't ran into many situations like that. Although again, playing on World Class/Legendary and using custom tactics/sliders for more chance creation, better player runs (fabio putting himself near the line didnt help the cpu, in your case) could have something to do with it. Also, have you tried using pace control modifier? It lets your players do acute turns and cutbacks, especially with a highrated dribbler like Ashley young.
To be honest I haven't played with the sliders much. I wouldn't even know where to begin tweeking them, and stupidly, it sort of feels like cheating to me. I don't even mind higher rated teams like United being somewhat ridiculously hard. It bothers me more when like 2-3 star teams pull the same shit.

adelante

Kylehimself said:
To be honest I haven't played with the sliders much. I wouldn't even know where to begin tweeking them, and stupidly, it sort of feels like cheating to me. I don't even mind higher rated teams like United being somewhat ridiculously hard. It bothers me more when like 2-3 star teams pull the same shit.
Well for starters, I thought cpu player acceleration wasn't realistic enough in its defaults settings, especially when you have cases where defenders are able to catch up on you after you do a knock on and sprint. So I had that dialed down just by a bit. Increased the passing error as well and its led to a realistic frequency of misplaced long/through balls made by the cpu. I'm gonna experiment with other slider settings once I'm not too busy with H2H/Pro Clubs...can't wait to dive into CM.

adelante said:
Well for starters, I thought cpu player acceleration wasn't realistic enough in its defaults settings, especially when you have cases where defenders are able to catch up on you after you do a knock on and sprint. So I had that dialed down just by a bit. Increased the passing error as well and its led to a realistic frequency of misplaced long/through balls made by the cpu. I'm gonna experiment with other slider settings once I'm not too busy with H2H/Pro Clubs...can't wait to dive into CM.
You wouldn't mid posting your current slider settings? Do you keep the player sliders all at 50?

sixghost

Kylehimself said:
Beat United 5-1 a few games ago. Now in the League Cup final they are impossible. I've retried about 5 times now, and every time they've scored some bizarre fucking goal where my keeper or defenders spaz the fuck out and allows them to go for a tap in. I would never restart this often, but I'm just doing it now to see how many times they can score bullshit nonsense goals. 4 on the trot now.

As for the pen issue mentioned above, I have a few replays of the many times it's happened to me.

Edit: so who's getting bored of this same turn the AI pulls every 2 seconds?

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/96785063
That's my big problem with the game. There are times where I just feel helpless on defense. They will just dribble the ball around for 15 seconds while I jockey them, then they cut it past me the second I go in the for the tackle regardless of player skill.

In a weird way it adds a lot of tension to the career mode. When I'm up 1-0 with 20 minutes left I start freaking out and get a total siege mentality.

CozMick

Banned
Just bought Live Seasons.....

Stoke are now a 4 and a 1/2 star team chewing up Serie A teams with no trouble at all.

Crouch is seriously gifted in this game :lol

Iztli said:
I cant launch Fifa 12 through Steam:( all it does is open Origin and the fifa launcher... anyone know how?

Not really possible. You can put it in as a non Steam game but it will only load Origin by executing it as such. You do get the Steam overlay from doing that though.

- Comprehensive multi-part review of FIFA12 over on FIFA soccer blog

The relevant bit for me on Clubs this season.
FIFA 12 Clubs

While it’s all change with the Head 2 Head Seasons, Online Friendlies, and the Match Flow, it’s all the same when it comes to Clubs. Unfortunately, it has to be said that Clubs in FIFA 11 was simply not a mode which could be released again unchanged, and the result will be that Clubs will denigrate to the same mess that it has for the last few years, but this time around it will happen even faster.

I will not use this opportunity to go over the problems with Clubs, as I quite recently wrote about them in a Xaor’s Corner post. Unfortunately, the issues talked about there recur almost in their entirety. It has to be said that so far it seems the servers are holding up considerably better than they did in FIFA 11 launch, but that really is a bare minimum. Worst of all, it seems that the 100% VP hack which only appeared in the last few months of FIFA 11’s lifespan, has already been replicated in FIFA 12. Even for those not willing to go as far as explicit hacking, boosting your VP is easier than ever thanks to the gameplay sliders making even the hardest accomplishments extremely easy.

All of this put together probably means one thing: those who still tolerated Clubs last year will probably continue doing so, albeit with even more gritted teeth, but those who couldn’t tolerate it last year certainly won’t be able to this year – a dreadful disappointment for FIFA’s cleverest, most unique, and most potentially brilliant feature.
I didn't know that there's already a 100% VP hack floating around. That's disappointing.

T Ghost

Are people posting their sliders settings? I'm interested on seeing what are you guys trying.

I found the game to be very unrealistic and unfair without sliders use. So sliders is a must on single player mode.

Menelaus

Banned
Cornballer said:
I didn't know that there's already a 100% VP hack floating around. That's disappointing.
And now with no way to see their skills!

One step closer to selling my copy. Come on, Amazon trade in, give me more than 29 bucks!

sneaky77 said:
but not surprising lol
Nope.
Menelaus said:
And now with no way to see their skills!
:(
One step closer to selling my copy. Come on, Amazon trade in, give me more than 29 bucks!
At least wait for the patch. You'll be able to get ~$30 in trade in on it up through the end of the year, judging on what happened last year. I got about ~$25 in April.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Cornballer said:
- Comprehensive multi-part review of FIFA12 over on FIFA soccer blog

The relevant bit for me on Clubs this season.I didn't know that there's already a 100% VP hack floating around. That's disappointing.

Yeah it doesn't take long. NBA 2k has the same issue. It's worse there tho. They ended up just removing all methods to play My Player online. Dudes had it hacked before it even came out. They need to store characters on the servers. It cant be defeated otherwise. But i guess they don't give three fucks in the first place so...whatever.

Bumhead

Banned
My problem with FIFA 12 is pretty much the same problem I've had with the series for years. Playing against the AI is so laborious.

Football is a very human sport. People make mistakes. FIFA 12 doesn't. I'm currently going through a career mode with the team I support, Sheffield Wednesday, and competing against the AI just feels like a constant chore. Other teams don't make mistakes. They are first to every second ball. Their defence is always in the right place at the right time. Every wicked deflection, every 50/50 decision, every pass.. it all goes the way of the AI. Occasionally the Ai will misplace a through ball if you're lucky, but that aside it's almost faultless. It's all very mechanical, like playing against a well oiled machine.

Another thing that annoys me is that the game makes no concessions for the standard of football you're playing at. I can tell you now, League One football is not intricate tippy-tappy passing, or accurate through balls, or quick turns of pace, or Cruyff turns. Apart from the players' first touch and the general pace of the game, there's no difference to playing against Brentford or Barcelona in FIFA 12. Everything is still a very clinical passing game on the deck. That's not how football looks or plays in England's third tier, I can tell you that much.

It's disappointing because I obviously want to play as my home team, but the idea of playing several seasons of lower division football before I can reach a "fun" standard in career mode bores me to tears. I feel almost forced to play the career mode with top division teams to get any enjoyment out of it.

Mat C said:
My problem with FIFA 12 is pretty much the same problem I've had with the series for years. Playing against the AI is so laborious.

Football is a very human sport. People make mistakes. FIFA 12 doesn't. I'm currently going through a career mode with the team I support, Sheffield Wednesday, and competing against the AI just feels like a constant chore. Other teams don't make mistakes. They are first to every second ball. Their defence is always in the right place at the right time. Every wicked deflection, every 50/50 decision, every pass.. it all goes the way of the AI. Occasionally the Ai will misplace a through ball if you're lucky, but that aside it's almost faultless. It's all very mechanical, like playing against a well oiled machine.

Another thing that annoys me is that the game makes no concessions for the standard of football you're playing at. I can tell you now, League One football is not intricate tippy-tappy passing, or accurate through balls, or quick turns of pace, or Cruyff turns. Apart from the players' first touch and the general pace of the game, there's no difference to playing against Brentford or Barcelona in FIFA 12. Everything is still a very clinical passing game on the deck. That's not how football looks or plays in England's third tier, I can tell you that much.

It's disappointing because I obviously want to play as my home team, but the idea of playing several seasons of lower division football before I can reach a "fun" standard in career mode bores me to tears. I feel almost forced to play the career mode with top division teams to get any enjoyment out of it.
Good luck with top tier teams. I was playing with Chelsea and even on a few decent winning streaks on world class and I still felt exactly the same way about all the issues you mentioned in your post.

Bumhead

Banned
Aye, I'm not sure how many of the issues I mentioned will be alleviated by playing as a top division side, but at least the constant playing the ball around on the deck will be a little easier to stand from a realism point of view.

If League One football is as good as it apparently looks in FIFA 12 then I've no idea what turgid nonsense I've been watching for the last year and a bit. I can't recall Yeovil stringing 23 passes together in real life.

T Ghost

Got the Shakes said:
I was too. I came here to ask the same question.
I read some articles on the net about an update within 2-3 weeks. Nothing about to be release "at any moment". Interesting.

T Ghost

Menelaus said:
I got out of my game, restarted from dash, and got no update. You guys are high!
Funny thing is that interrupted me in between matches in tournament mode prompting me for the mandatory update. I was not prompted while loading the game from dash as usual. Weird...

T Ghost

Hieberrr said:
Anyone got good sliders for Semi-pro?

Here's what I'm using:

CPU Game Customisation:

Sprint Speed - CPU: 45
Acceleration - CPU: 45
Shot Error - CPU:45
Goalkeeper ability - CPU: 45

Everything else at standard 50.

I didn't mess with my own sliders.

I was taking beats from pro and hard to win on semi-pro. I started with these sliders but at 30 instead of 45 and positioning: Marking - CPU to to zero. Then as I started to consistently beat CPU by more than 3 goals margin I kept raising in 5 points increments. When I reached everything at 50 I switched to PRO at all 50 settings. Then I decided to decrease sprint, acceleration, shot error and goalkeeper to 45. Now I'm beating CPU on PRO consistently above 2 goals, one or another defeat by 1 goal margin.

My tip is try to figure out what is CPU doing that you think that it shouldn't do. But in order to do this you got to have a strong notion about players stats not only for your 11 but for the CPU 11. Easiest to do by playing a league that you are extremely familiar with. My case is the Brazilian league: I watch this league since before I start walking almost 40 years ago. My biggest gripe was that CPU players have acceleration and sprint speed way above of my players who have stats on these abilities higher than CPU's. Also CPU players got too much more shots on target and out of my goalie's reach than my players with great finishing ability. Finally, I felt that CPU goalies were way better than mine even when their stats where lower than my keeper's.

Hope this all help somehow!

Calcaneus

What's with the odd mouth animation in this game? Its hilarous. Everything else in the game looks amazing, except for this one thing.

JWong

Banned
Calcaneus said:
What's with the odd mouth animation in this game? Its hilarous. Everything else in the game looks amazing, except for this one thing.
Facial animation is always very stiff. You should see their eyes.

NoRéN

Calcaneus said:
Players keep doing the Wolverine O face after i score. It's weird.

Are all the slider settings defaulted when playing online? I don't really want to practice with certain slider settings then they're completely different when I have an online game.

EDIT: found out.

mil6es

I still cant play UT WTF EA, game still crashes at match loading screen, I brought the special edition as well.....

jonno394

Will have my copy in next couple days, any word on a patch to stop online opponents just pressing select and switching to GK mode and thus having the CPU do all their defending and tackling for them until they get the ball back and they switch back?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
i had absolutely the stupidest game ever before. Trying the H2H cup mode out, I was in the semi and using Napoli against PSG.

I went 2-0 up and I'm coasting. I've dominated the game, had loads of attacks and I look to close the game out as it reaches the 85th minute. I'm not the type to just pass it round my defense and waste time so eventually I concede possession and he gets his tricky winger and somehow jinxes past all my defenders who've turned into a mess and scores a goal in the 86th minute. Fine. Still 1 goal up, I can pass it about for the last 3 minutes.

From the kick off I pass it back but due to lag or something I must've screwed something up. I have no idea what happened. My team kicks off, and a string of first time passes go from kick off -> CM -> LB -> GK who's run to the edge of his box, does a 180 sprint turn pass into his own goal. I'd stopped pressing any buttons for awhile so I was just holding the pad pressing nothing watching this all unfold in disbelief.

I've just lost a 2-0 lead in the most pathetic way.

From the kick off I somehow manage to score straight away. Justice is done! But then in like the 93rd minute of injury time he gets into my box, I close him out and he shoots harmlessly wide but he somehow clips one of my defenders and goes down just as the ball is rolling past my post. Ref gives a penalty! I was raging so hard at this point.

He scores and we go into extra time with the most pathetic 3 goals I've ever seen.

Luckily I manage to keep it together and score another to win after extra time. But that has got to be the stupidest game I've ever had in the history of football games.

elsk

Banned
I'm finally enjoying -and winning- in Career Mode 20+ matches winning streak so far. I'm using good old Southampton in the english 2nd division, Championship. But yeah, I'm still playing in professional, I'm still nervous about fighting in World Class in this game. Most teams give me a hard time in pro-level, I can't imagine how good they would be in world class :/

kaizoku

what teams does everyone use for H2H?

I tend to avoid 5 star teams cos I don't want to face Barcelona/Madrid etc. I used Napoli in my cup run and they're really solid but I've also been using a lot of Fulham.

Also had a go with Santos and they're ok with Neymar and Ganso but defence sucks.

What are the best 4 star teams do you reckon? Are there any 3 star teams that you like to use?

zou

kaizoku said:
what teams does everyone use for H2H?

I tend to avoid 5 star teams cos I don't want to face Barcelona/Madrid etc. I used Napoli in my cup run and they're really solid but I've also been using a lot of Fulham.

Also had a go with Santos and they're ok with Neymar and Ganso but defence sucks.

What are the best 4 star teams do you reckon? Are there any 3 star teams that you like to use?

Doesn't really matter, half of the time you are going to be playing against 5 star teams. I got matched up with Barcelona, England, Real, Spain, ManU and Arsenal as Schalke 04 or Stoke City. In fact, in over 20+ games I played less than five 4* teams..

zou

NaughtyPrawn said:
Are all the slider settings defaulted when playing online? I don't really want to practice with certain slider settings then they're completely different when I have an online game.

EDIT: found out.

Hate these sort of posts. Mind sharing with the rest of us?

This is my first Fifa game (loved the demo) big football....errr soccer...fan. So I'm playing this as a person who's never played Fifa but knows about the sport very well with that said.

Dear CPU.....I am NOT offsides! Fucking A...FUCK YOU!

Also when playing in virtual pro mode, I decided to start out strictly as a player first then move up...worst mistake EVER. The CPU manager is completely oblivious to my SEVERELY LIMPING VP who's CLEARLY injured. I got injured in the first half of the game...and was never replaced the entire game. What in the fuck?!

Game is awesome though, lovin it. Tying Tiffany = OMG best soundtrack EVER.

kaizoku

zou said:
Doesn't really matter, half of the time you are going to be playing against 5 star teams. I got matched up with Barcelona, England, Real, Spain, ManU and Arsenal as Schalke 04 or Stoke City. In fact, in over 20+ games I played less than five 4* teams..

That's not been my experience at all, I've been mostly controlling Fulham and they've gotten me to Div 8 and I've managed to avoid all the 5 star teams. If they pair you with a 5 star team you can just quit before it starts anyway without any penalty. I think the penalty only kicks in after 5 in game minutes.

Record so far is 9-1-2. I get so angry with the game though, I absolutely smash teams, hit the bar and miss sitters and everything then the other team scores some jammy goal and makes it seem more tense and closer than it should be.

Top Bottom