• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

iqubal

Banned
after a week with this game , i'm trading it in. AI sucks and the through pass works 99% of the time. Thank god for nba 2k12 as my sports game fix lol.

JWong

Banned
Thank God FUT doesn't kill your tourney progress if you disconnect in a match.

I was gonna flip out if my entire tourney ended up as a loss because that would mean I wouldn't be able to continue my current FUT club. Everything was riding on it since I gambled a lot of coin away.

GorillaJu

SumGamer said:
While I agree with you, I reckon Youtube is better than move lists in the manual. Lots of the stuff should only be used at certain situation until you are really confident as well.

I played H2H online a game today. Was early in the 2nd half and I'm 5-2 up, the rest of the games either me passing around between my defenders and midfielders keeping possession. Tactical Defend alright, the guy's so pissed because he couldn't pressure me enough to take the ball. All he could do was "containing" until I misplace a pass (which only happen once in 10 minutes). Once I scored the sixth goal, the guy was so pissed that he keep kicking the ball into his own net. The game ends 14-2. I'm not a jerk, I only tried this in this game to see if I can pull it off. People think ping pong passing is bad. While they didn't really fix that now they make it even harder to fight for the ball. Same people are gonna be even madder this year.

Tactical Defend. Sounds good on paper, feel interesting to begin with but you cant force the ball from opponent if they know it well. When the scoreline is still a draw, it's all good, back up and keep containing until they miss. Two goals down and you are almost fucked unless you have the ball, just like what I mentioned above.

In real life, some game you see two or even three players closing down the dribbler when they really need the ball. Say UCL final and you are two goals down in the last 10 minutes. I'll bet you cash that they wont be containing any more.

I'm starting to hear people complain about AI pin-point crossing to the header, which is also result from the fact that you can't pressure the crosser while positioning to defend the header. CPU AI is too perfect at this while player-side AI is a dumb ass at defending. This is very clear when you play lower side.

To me lots of changes done right in FIFA 12, love the new creation centre. But some changes just made something feel wrong (or even more wrong). Overall, I like the game but I'm not happy to play with AI. If I want this level of stress, I'd play Dark Souls instead of FIFA. Another case of over thinking and too much realistic that it will eventually kills the game for some people.

I only play World Class level tho, Legendary would be a big NO.
Lol, similar thing happened for me. Was super raging after getting matched up vs Barça, Spain and Real and losing all three because of the overpowered players they have. The next match I get put up against Newcastle. The guy was really good, but I got ab early goal because of a defending error. I spent the next 75 minutes of game time passing it between my mf and defense. Felt sorry for him but fuck it.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Passing it about at the back was possible in FIFA 11 too but only losers are gonna play anti football like that! Why play a game if you're actually going out there to not play? Please don't be like that unless the other guy is a dick.

Once played clubs against a team of hacked giants so we just kept the ball in defence and scored own goals, just so they couldn't get the ball. If you're not here to play some football then don't play! Pointless!

I do worry about teams being impossible to tackle for looooong periods if they just want to pass it about but hopefully teams are rarely that negative.

SumGamer

kaizoku said:
Passing it about at the back was possible in FIFA 11 too but only losers are gonna play anti football like that! Why play a game if you're actually going out there to not play? Please don't be like that unless the other guy is a dick.

Once played clubs against a team of hacked giants so we just kept the ball in defence and scored own goals, just so they couldn't get the ball. If you're not here to play some football then don't play! Pointless!

I do worry about teams being impossible to tackle for looooong periods if they just want to pass it about but hopefully teams are rarely that negative.

Totally agreed, but there will be lots of people doing it once they learn about it. Just like I said, this is the same problem with pingpong passing in FIFA10. That's my point. Im playing it for the fun, not the fame, hence I hate that ridiculous World Class AI.

Another small AI complaint here. Anybody ever contain and secondary contain an AI player at the sideline. You effectively push them back down in to their own half because they have nowhere to pass. On occasion, and realistically you'll eventually push them so far down the touchline, that they'll just kick it out for lack of options. I've also noticed though, more often than not, they'll just clear the ball. As anybody knows, when you do this it's just a big hoof out of the box to safety. When the AI clears though from the sort of position I mentioned or box, it's nearly always an inch perfect cross. I can sort of let it go from the box. But the situation I mentioned would be virtually impossible. Doing a complete 180 with two players on you, humping the ball right down the pitch ad landing a perfect pass.

GorillaJu

Kylehimself said:
Another small AI complaint here. Anybody ever contain and secondary contain an AI player at the sideline. You effectively push them back down in to their own half because they have nowhere to pass. On occasion, and realistically you'll eventually push them so far down the touchline, that they'll just kick it out for lack of options. I've also noticed though, more often than not, they'll just clear the ball. As anybody knows, when you do this it's just a big hoof out of the box to safety. When the AI clears though from the sort of position I mentioned or box, it's nearly always an inch perfect cross. I can sort of let it go from the box. But the situation I mentioned would be virtually impossible. Doing a complete 180 with two players on you, humping the ball right down the pitch ad landing a perfect pass.
Its so stupid when they do that. They should just back pass to the keeper, no idea why they overlooked that glaring shortcoming in the AI.

odd_morsel said:
Its so stupid when they do that. They should just back pass to the keeper, no idea why they overlooked that glaring shortcoming in the AI.
That, or have a 2nd player run to them for some sort of option.

PaulLFC

sneaky77 said:
Online, you're able to control your team's goalkeeper, leaving the skilled AI to handle the outfield players.

"People seem to be exploiting this," Broad said. "If they're not very good at defending they can use this to get an unfair advantage.

"People who are very good at the game won't have a problem. They'll just be able to pass it around your defenders and you'll find yourself one-on-one with their top strikers every time.

"But that's something we've got under review. If we think the vast majority of people hate it we'll do something about it.

"I can't tell you any more than that. I can't tell you when that might happen, but we're reviewing all the feedback from people. We're looking especially, even harder, at the game telemetry. If you go to our forums and hear everyone saying the same thing, that's great, but you can't just rely on that because the people who haven't got a problem with it aren't talking. So we need to figure out what they're doing as well.

"We're looking at all of that stuff and we're going to make a call on that. But just so you know, if you've got a problem with that, we're looking at it. It's a very serious thing we're looking at."
Good. Glad they're looking into this.

JWong

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Are there really that many bugs and exploits in the game for them to announce a big patch will be available a month after release? Did this happen with FIFA 11?
Uh this happens with a lot of games. It's called supporting the game.

And what other "exploits" are there other than people unable to beat pro level AI?

JWong said:
Uh this happens with a lot of games. It's called supporting the game.

And what other "exploits" are there other than people unable to beat pro level AI?

I don't know about exploits, but there are plenty of things a patch could help with. The fact that speed becomes irrelevant when chasing down a ball against an AI defender. The defender becomes faster than the winger or striker who is chasing the ball. This applies for through balls or any touch played forward.

Fouls are completely fucked. You can't draw a foul at all in this game. You see bizarre, wonky, impact engine inspired collisions all the time, things that should result in a foul that don't. But wait! Once you enter the penalty box, suddenly discreet love taps become penalties. You can't even find what the discretion was in the replay! I've had three, four, even five penalties called in a game.

Offsides calls are still all wrong. It may actually be worse than last year.

It seems that the internal testing that goes on is just simply not enough. There isn't enough exposure to discover all the different things the userbase is going to discover. I don't understand that, for a game this huge, they can't release a beta. Why can't this be something that goes on for the months of July and August, and then at the end of August, closes, and allows the developer to fix what they saw from the beta for a release at the end of September. This would benefit everyone involved. It is abundantly clear that whoever they have playtesting this game sucks at their job.

sneaky77

I haven't had the penalty issue, but it does appear that the fouls have been toned down because the impact engine may result in too many being called.

JWong

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
I don't know about exploits, but there are plenty of things a patch could help with. The fact that speed becomes irrelevant when chasing down a ball against an AI defender. The defender becomes faster than the winger or striker who is chasing the ball. This applies for through balls or any touch played forward.

Fouls are completely fucked. You can't draw a foul at all in this game. You see bizarre, wonky, impact engine inspired collisions all the time, things that should result in a foul that don't. But wait! Once you enter the penalty box, suddenly discreet love taps become penalties. You can't even find what the discretion was in the replay! I've had three, four, even five penalties called in a game.

Offsides calls are still all wrong. It may actually be worse than last year.

It seems that the internal testing that goes on is just simply not enough. There isn't enough exposure to discover all the different things the userbase is going to discover. I don't understand that, for a game this huge, they can't release a beta. Why can't this be something that goes on for the months of July and August, and then at the end of August, closes, and allows the developer to fix what they saw from the beta for a release at the end of September. This would benefit everyone involved. It is abundantly clear that whoever they have playtesting this game sucks at their job.
I never had the foul or offside issue especially offside calls being extremely accurate and right 100% of the time.

And again with the snide "you suck at your job" when it's not my job. The usual Complainers FC is seriously annoying.

Menelaus

Banned
Not to mention that the camera glitch still exists for the what, 4th year? Passing settings that magically revert themselves at will. Offside logic being patently wrong. Same old camera flaw with offside that won't let you see the infraction on long passes. Speed ratings that mean nothing. Finesse shots that are still far too overpowered.

I could go on. Would you like me to?

JWong said:
I never had the foul or offside issue especially offside calls being extremely accurate and right 100% of the time.

And again with the snide "you suck at your job" when it's not my job. The usual Complainers FC is seriously annoying.

I didn't ever say you suck at your job? I didn't even know you worked for EA...What do you do there?

Menelaus

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
I didn't ever say you suck at your job? I didn't even know you worked for EA...What do you do there?
We established this earlier in the thread.

07-minister.jpg

JWong

Banned
Menelaus said:
Not to mention that the camera glitch still exists for the what, 4th year? Passing settings that magically revert themselves at will. Offside logic being patently wrong. Same old camera flaw with offside that won't let you see the infraction on long passes. Speed ratings that mean nothing. Finesse shots that are still far too overpowered.

I could go on. Would you like me to?
Maybe if you post examples of the camera glitch on the EA forums, it probably will get noticed, but I have no idea what you're talking about anyway.

And please go on, since half of your complaints are really just subjective feedback. Or is it QVT's turn?
Awesome Animals said:
You don't even know what QA testers do in the industry to make those assumptions.

And I don't work on FIFA 12 as I've stated many times.

Can't wait for FIFA13 so they'll fix LB+A spamming. :\

Hopefully will rebalance how much benefit a high chemistry gives a FUT team. At the moment you can play with 1 star teams with 100 chemistry and beat people fairly easily online.

Your AI team mates make good runs, and receive boosts that make them almost super human. Most 'lucky' decisions go your way too (or against you if you have a lower chemistry).

I like it as an idea, but the bonus and penalty is too much at the moment.

Beat United 5-1 a few games ago. Now in the League Cup final they are impossible. I've retried about 5 times now, and every time they've scored some bizarre fucking goal where my keeper or defenders spaz the fuck out and allows them to go for a tap in. I would never restart this often, but I'm just doing it now to see how many times they can score bullshit nonsense goals. 4 on the trot now.

As for the pen issue mentioned above, I have a few replays of the many times it's happened to me.

Edit: so who's getting bored of this same turn the AI pulls every 2 seconds?

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/96785063

JWong

Banned
Kylehimself said:
Beat United 5-1 a few games ago. Now in the League Cup final they are impossible. I've retried about 5 times now, and every time they've scored some bizarre fucking goal where my keeper or defenders spaz the fuck out and allows them to go for a tap in. I would never restart this often, but I'm just doing it now to see how many times they can score bullshit nonsense goals. 4 on the trot now.

As for the pen issue mentioned above, I have a few replays of the many times it's happened to me.

I have noticed that important tournament matches, it gets a lot harder to get through.

Lol, that's actually what I do to the AI mixed in with a bit of precision dribbling for turns. Definitely looks weird. If it were to be more realistic, something needs to be put in to have the AI just stop the ball when they're not pressed while waiting for an opening.

JWong said:
I have noticed that important tournament matches, it gets a lot harder to get through.

Lol, that's actually what I do to the AI mixed in with a bit of precision dribbling for turns. Definitely looks weird. If it were to be more realistic, something needs to be put in to have the AI just stop the ball when they're not pressed while waiting for an opening.
I finally beat them 1-0. Took 7 goes. Fucking grim.

Menelaus said:
That is so retarded. Unbelievable they shipped this steaming pile.
It's a joke. I usually play on World Class, but that was on pro. How the fuck do you defend that shit?

Last night and today I had a real good run of games, winning nearly all of them. Getting the 5-1 against United and all. But tonight I've officially decided to fuck FIFA in the ass. If I do go back to it, it will be exclusively online, but I'll wait till it's patched as I've heard people use some GK glitch.

sneaky77 said:
I think if you hit contain + a your player just follows the AI player automatically, but I could be wrong.

For all the shortcomings I think the game is good, better than 11. Is just really frustrating in the stuff that it does wrong, more so than 11.
It does, but they still turn you like that.

JWong

Banned
ShallNoiseUpon said:
JWong sure apologies a whole hell of a lot for a game he had nothing to do with.
I sure haven't apologized for anything that's working fine that people have personal issues with.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
JWong said:

lol if you think fouls and offsides are fine you are crazy. You'll have to give me time to post in detail tho (with videos!!!) A wall of text is boring and i don't even know if i recorded any offsides bullshit. It's been around for so long i felt like it didn't really need to be verified...but i guess i'm wrong.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Sol.. said:
lol if you think fouls and offsides are fine you are crazy. You'll have to give me time to post in detail tho (with videos!!!) A wall of text is boring and i don't even know if i recorded any offsides bullshit. It's been around for so long i felt like it didn't really need to be verified...but i guess i'm wrong.

It's a "personal opinion" that the offsides rule should require a player to be offsides. Personal distaste for literally not being able to foul somebody via slide tackle if you want to, but random bumps mean yellow cards.

Seriously, I get so frustrated with the catch up speed bullshit that I run around trying to slide tackle people and instead of getting red carded it gets ignored. Heaven fucking help you if you try and defend in the box though.

Meier

ElyrionX said:
Every single AI player can dribble like fucking Messi. And I'm only playing on Professional, ffs. It makes TD so much more frustrating than it should be.
Yeah, it's pretty much guaranteed even if I thoroughly outclass my opponent that they will get at least 2 goals against me in my career mode unless I play only as my guy instead of the team. I'm absolutely powerless with TD.. :(

Can someone please re-post the PDF as a picture? I can't access mediafire at work.

Also, I found a few ways to make it less frustrating (for me). I'm not saying this is the solution, but I found a way to make the game acceptable to me, and wanted to share it:

1. Play as Barcelona. Your own player AI seems to get a boost, not sure if it is just because the Barca players are rated extremely high. In any case, the AI on your side plays (or seems to) much better than with a similar top-tier team like Man Utd or Bayern.

2. Play Professional difficulty. As soon as I stepped it up to World Class, people from shitty teams all transform into Xavi/Iniesta and started making pinpoint through balls, turning on a dime and litterally being untouchable. I swear, if I jockey close to them, they do the 360 turn that Xavi does while shielding the ball. There's jack and squat I can do there.

3. Play single matches against 2 star teams. I seem to have stumbled upon the fact that if an AI player doesn't have more than 3 star skill or 2 star skill rating, they don't do ronaldo chops and shit while dribbling. They still do the 360 turn, but they don't skill their way past my defenders as often.

4. Play in Be-A-Pro mode. Your team AI seems to be fine and equal to the opposing CPU AI in the be a pro mode. So there's that, and plus I enjoy being player manager. I also make my Pro a goalkeeper, so that way I can control the whole team, but still get the be-a-pro boost to my own side during career mode games.

Controller fell victim to FIFA's bullshit tonight, so not playing this bollocks any more. Goodbye FIFA 12, you were a fucking woeful game from day one.

besiktas1

Fuck this game lol. I'm addicted to it. First time in years I played games for more than 3hrs. Pisses me off it's so fucking hard on Professional (normal). Always concede every game. Mostly lose due to 90th minute goal. I curse, then on to the next one. My Chelsea is strong though. I bought Ronaldo for 100+mil after selling everyone. Makes me play worse cos I keep feeding it to him and try to go on wonder runs. Probably should stop doing that. I'm rambling, it's late, I gotta get up in the morning...

sneaky77

How are the custom formations still fucking broken in this game? year after year same shit.. damn.
If they are not gonna fix the issue, then just remove them from the online game

Lunchbox

Banned
Kylehimself said:
Controller fell victim to FIFA's bullshit tonight, so not playing this bollocks any more. Goodbye FIFA 12, you were a fucking woeful game from day one.
JWong worked hard on it, dont say those things

JWong

Banned
Lunchbox said:
JWong worked hard on it, dont say those things
Yeah man. Worked hard at the fist fighting system, but it got cut in the end. ;)

leng jai said:
Can you save your starting 11 for head to head matches or do I have to change it everytime?
I'm not too sure about it since I use default Chelsea, but you may be able to go into customize and Edit Team. I don't know if it'll reset after a squad update if it does work.

leng jai

JWong said:
Yeah man. Worked hard at the fist fighting system, but it got cut in the end. ;)

I'm not too sure about it since I use default Chelsea, but you may be able to go into customize and Edit Team. I don't know if it'll reset after a squad update if it does work.

I use Chelsea most of the time but Malouda and Torres are on the bench. Essien is in the fucking reserves!

JWong

Banned
leng jai said:
I use Chelsea most of the time but Malouda and Torres are on the bench. Essien is in the fucking reserves!
I guess that's because Torres is suspended and Malouda was benched last game, and Essien is injured.

It seems like Edit Teams only affected offline, so squad update will most likely reset the online squad settings whenever you go into H2H seasons.

adelante

Kylehimself said:

you were having issues with THAT?? Lol fuckin jockey and teammate press that bitch.

If you want to see fancier/more creative passing plays, either turn up the difficulty or play around with the sliders. A lot of issues that are brought up here or that I've come across myself were EASILY alleviated with slider/difficulty settings.

Top Bottom