• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 Club of Gentle Lovers |Xbox 360|

Meier

Played some games tonight with drop-ins.. had a 2 goal, 1 assist, 9.5 MOTM game not get counted. Was gutted. :( Up way too late but at 77 now.. my guy is so freaking slow, dying to get some extra speed and stamina.

woodchuck

I've been playing drop in matches. Do goals and stats count if the other player drops? This is ridiculous if I've scored 3 goals in a match, the other person rage quits, and none of my stats count.

Meier

I've been playing drop in matches. Do goals and stats count if the other player drops? This is ridiculous if I've scored 3 goals in a match, the other person rage quits, and none of my stats count.

I dunno, in my case it was a decent-sized team match.. 7-6 to start I think and the other team was mostly still there till the end because they somehow came back and won 5-4 after we went up 4-1, lol. I am not sure if there is an issue where the initial "host" quits, if it doesn't track the result or what.. that is the only time I've noticed it out of I think 10 matches.

Meier

We've got 4 on right now.

Edit: Amazing batch of games tonight with woodchuck, Kampfers, hov and free radicals. Nice work fellas. Only 1 loss and it was in a 1-0 game where they got a total bullshit goal.

I wanted to share my thoughts on the approach we and others generally take when playing Clubs. For various reasons, especially when there are more people involved, we see this style of play. The midfield, wingers and strikes effectively all run forward, each hoping for a pass. This puts extra pressure on individuals when they do finally get the ball. The quickest way to get to the opponents box is through the sidelines as such below.

20121003-qa5ysrtcp4demh2iurd7nw5u4t.jpg

The problem with this is that when we lose the ball, we have 4 or 5 players up the field who now need to chase back. Those in central midfield will not see much of the ball in general, so what happens?

20121003-qdytadinb5d6gr8xesy6e6kwwm.jpg

We then see one flank populated with too many players and not enough space. This has been happening since Fifa introduced Clubs. If everyone stayed in their position, and was to play a more possession orientated style, whereby they would pass sideways, even at the halfway line, we'd get a more Head to Head type of experience.

The incentive is, beyond everyone being more involved, is that because opposition Clubs are themselves undisciplined tactically - which sees several of their players swarm towards you whenever you get the ball, you create more space to be exploited than you would see normally in Head to Head games.

Example

20121003-qq57q18ikcbr26k1ftww7et18g.jpg

The RB moves forward. Immediately the other team get drawn towards the right side of the pitch, and I'm betting this includes one of their central midfielders. This leaves our own CM with space. The RB then passes to him. The opposition then get drawn to ours CM, leaving the right flank less occupied. Meanwhile, our RW - who began running forward the moment our CM got the ball - is free. The CM then passes to him. The winger now has the ball and has two options.

1. Cross the ball into the box.
2. Cut it back to the same CM, who ran forward but stopped his run outside the box.

Either option sees us create a potential goal scoring opportunity whilst keeping our formation intact.

Example 2

20121003-mitfa7rqy2d4gqkxie3qrd5npr.jpg

The DM gets the ball and passes it to a wide midfielder. The opposition get drawn to the winger, leaving our advanced CM with more room. He then passes it back to the DM who had remained in his position. He then passes it to the CM, who with more space, can either play through a ball forward, our pass to the winger to get a cross in

In effect, players will be running only on cue and not by default whenever we get the ball. I think we can do this. People will need a mic, and call for it. We just need to trust them and pass the ball to them unless we ourselves have a goal scoring opportunity.

I agree with most of what Meus says. I noticed it a lot last night when, while playing as striker I would end up facilitating the offense and never end up in the box. We need the midfielders to be playing mostly box to box, not box to endline. Otherwise you just end up gassed. This is especially important when we are playing with four AI players in the backline.

Meier

Here's one of my goals from last night (great service, fortunate finish): http://www.ea.com/soccer/videos/ugc/137594362

We scored a few crackers including one chipped throughball to the far post from 50 yards out that got slammed home by freeradicals. Hov scored a few glorious goals and Kampfers was drilling them from distance. Pretty stuff!

Here's one of my goals from last night (great service, fortunate finish): http://www.ea.com/soccer/videos/ugc/137594362

We scored a few crackers including one chipped throughball to the far post from 50 yards out that got slammed home by freeradicals. Hov scored a few glorious goals and Kampfers was drilling them from distance. Pretty stuff!

The whole time that the pass was coming in, I was praying that I don't put it into Row ZZZ! That was an insane cross/pass though, top level stuff.

As far as tactical goes, I don't know how successful playing through the middle would be. Based on the games I played in yesterday, a lot of them were playing 5-4-1, with high pressure tactics. This meant that the middle was incredibly crowded with opposition players. The best way to counter this is to get behind the fullback and exploit the space when they push up. However, this also means that the 2 strikers up top will have to play much wider than usual (something I was forced to do since there was no space in the middle).

Playing through the middle requires a lot of good ball control, and our VPros haven't leveled up to the point where we can control the first pass into the CAM without first touch botching it. I think our best option to get balls into scoring positions is crossing it in from the wing, and from diagonal aerial through balls. Possibly long shots from 40 yards out as well. While I would love to score goals like Barca with intricate passes in and around the box, I don't think we have the stats to do that yet =(

My only point is that our midfielders need to stop acting like Strikers. They spend as much time trying to break the offside trap as our strikers do. Our 4-2-2-2 turns into a 4-0-2-4 and we get burned on the counter because we have five people in the box.

My only point is that our midfielders need to stop acting like Strikers. They spend as much time trying to break the offside trap as our strikers do. Our 4-2-2-2 turns into a 4-0-2-4 and we get burned on the counter because we have five people in the box.

gotcha

so it's still OK for centre-backs to act like strikers though... right?

When we were playing last night, we tried 4-1-2-1-2 (a.k.a 4-4-2 Wide Diamond in game). That formation seemed to work much better for us in terms of the AI players tracking back .

It was just the three of us, and when we tried 4-2-2-2, there were a lot of the AI players out of position. But the wide diamond seems to guarantee cover for the wings and have a player in the hole (*giggle*) for building up the attack. Might be something to consider for future club matches.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
does the ANY/GK matching simply NOT WORK for you guys?

Those options seem to have no effect whatsoever on our matchmaking. We play without an ANY and we hate facing an ANY but almost every game has one. Annoying!

Meier

I got on last night and played some drop-ins since there was no one on. Fuck me if it isn't so frustrating especially when you get a douchebag any who refuses to pass and then does stupid shit while he is the keeper. Everyone was raging.

That is the best part about clubs. People are in it for the team to win rather than their own stats. Going that route rarely works out in the end.

I haven't got an invite yet posted the necessary info?

I haven't had time to go through the invites recently. A lot of random people invite, and the UI is so slow it is a chore. And of course their web features don't work either. I think Cornballer or Ragnar Lodbrok can approve as well. Try asking them if you see them on.

I haven't had time to go through the invites recently. A lot of random people invite, and the UI is so slow it is a chore. And of course their web features don't work either. I think Cornballer or Ragnar Lodbrok can approve as well. Try asking them if you see them on.
I'll try and run through the queue tonight if I have time. Hopefully, I'll be able to play a bit this evening and tomorrow.

Does anyone know who "sweltering" is on XBL? They requested to join the club. Wasn't sure if it's someone's friend or what.

k0ji-wd

We were just talking about you the other night. I was wondering if you were going to play again and woodchuck (or maybe hov) mentioned he thought you just did FUT at this point.

haha, yeah, i'm back for clubs. . .i'll try and catch you guys soon.

Top Bottom