• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 Club of Gentle Lovers |Xbox 360|

Booties

Banned
I'd love to get in on some games from time to time. I'm gonna have more time to play in the coming weeks and months.

Booties | Booties | EST (GMT -5) | RW, CM, LB, GK

http://www.ea.com/soccer/images/ugc/147798490

ilAjR.png

Back in late September, I told Awesome Animals that I hoped this year we'd actually play with an idea on how to approach matches. He agreed in principle, but didn't think we could achieve an understanding between all the random members who would join us at the start -- wait a while until we see who the regulars are, he suggested.

We now have our regulars.

And so I ask, when are we going to adopt a style? We each need a responsibility e.g. what positions to not run into, or when to stay behind to offer an option to square a pass or cut it back in midfield. Because of how our attacks breakdown, we tend to rush our passes or look for the most direct way to score. This is because we aren't confident that its what the others would want. For example:

We go on a counter attack and the striker wants a ball over the top, but we also have options to our left and to our right. If we pass to either of them, the striker will feel his opportunity to score was lost. If we pass to the striker and he doesn't score, we lose possession and the midfielders who provided the option will feel as they have wasted their stamina.

When a forward player gets the ball in an advanced position, the first inclination is to pass it forward or get it into the box and not choosing to try play-make by passing it back to midfield so they can create space for the strikers to run into. I call this hit-and-run.

I want to try and change it, not because our results may approve, but because I genuinely think we'd all enjoy the experience far more if we focus on play-making and over-lapping rather than over the top balls.

Who is interested?

We use over the top through balls because our midfield is non-existent. Until we can establish a midfield that doesn't bomb into the box and actual tracks back and plays defense properly we won't be able to do much. Additionally, we as a group aren't disciplined in playing our positions so we don't know where anyone is.

I agree that we play the ball forward too often, but that is because no one goes back towards the ball to receive a short pass. I personally have no problem with the way we play because we don't have enough people to fill a midfield. Today we played with three forwards and a midfielder. We do what we have found is effective against the teams we normally play as, but the moment we play against a team with an ANY or with a few midfielders we suffer because we can't transition the ball.

I think there is too much analyzing of the way we play. I had fun today even if it was a frustrating experience. When I dropped back and played ANY we found to have a lot of success because we had an existent midfield (human controlled players rather than AI). The fact of the matter is that we don't have the numbers to play much differently and the our AI teammates are worthless because they lack a way for us to communicate with them.

Menelaus

Banned
To quote Radical, "I don't want to raid".

I enjoy picking up FIFA and playing balls out. Offline or same-room co-op is a more appropriate arena for doing the things that Meus is suggesting, I think. The moment I get mad at myself because I wasn't standing in the right spot during a FIFA game is the moment I'll stop playing FIFA. I enjoy the wacky plays, the silly spontaneity, and the all around free flowing fun we have when we just hop on and get to playing.

Sorry for all the alliteration.

Meier

I thought we played great today. I would say for the most part we do a pretty good job at playing within the confines of the position we play in. If I were a single guy, I'd play 360 every night but as is I have to pick and choose my battles. Since I was sick this weekend I got a pass but I definitely can't be in any sort of "raid" type schedule even if I'd like to. :)

Meier

Gonna be in DC for a few days due to work and then have an insane next week of work back in town but maybe I can hop on on Saturday night? No promises, but I'd like to!

Kampfers

Neo Member
So I finally got my account approved (yay). I also finally got moved and settled in so I'll probably renew my live subscription in the next few days and be able to club again.

volgihn

I returned this weekend from vacations at Chicago. Ragnar and I are online right now we need more people so let's go.

Meier

I'd love to play on Friday night or sometime this weekend.

My week from hell is mostly over. Had to fly to DC for a conference then spent an extra day doing a whirlwind sightseeing tour.. got home late Saturday. We were hosting an internaitonal conference that ran from Sunday to Wednesday so I've been working 12+ hour days and going out after that.. I'm dying, lol.

Kampfers

Neo Member
I'd love to play on Friday night or sometime this weekend.

My week from hell is mostly over. Had to fly to DC for a conference then spent an extra day doing a whirlwind sightseeing tour.. got home late Saturday. We were hosting an internaitonal conference that ran from Sunday to Wednesday so I've been working 12+ hour days and going out after that.. I'm dying, lol.

No way? What was the name of the conference? My sister was just in DC hosting a conference this week too, oddly enough.

Meier

No way? What was the name of the conference? My sister was just in DC hosting a conference this week too, oddly enough.

The conference I went to in DC was for the NSF's I/UCRC program (relates to industry and Universities cooperating together). The one here in Austin that I organized was for this organization called ISHA.

Top Bottom