• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that anyone was expecting otherwise, but Winterfox is flying Strider 801 to SCR, Defend the North and Canada Cup.

Edit: and Dreamhack Winter.

I'm interested in seeing who goes to Costa Rica. That will be an interesting week. There are 2 NA ranking events and 1 EU premier event with the pot bonus. On the other hand, Topanga A League is happening at the same time which could prevent players like Daigo from attending. Daigo in the past said that he would have prioritized Topanga World League over NCR if it was longer than a ft5. Maybe he prioritized Topanga League ft3 part over the 2nd Japanese premier event and will attend Milan games though.It's a toss up at this point considering he didn't attend Kuwait.

Tripon

CQcIZuEUcAA2krE.png

https://twitter.com/apollookinosu/status/650497910195421184

Ratio list for Super and Super Turbo, I think.

jerry1594

First time I've seen this.
Far as I know ST didn't have tier lists, as it all came down to match ups.

EDIT: Actually O. Sagat should be ratio 10 with how fast his stupid shots were.
Uh that's what tier lists are based on though? Either way Sim Boxer and Claw are better than O Sagat

Anne

https://pbs.twimgMG]

[url]https://twitter.com/apollookinosu/status/650497910195421184[/url]

Ratio list for Super and Super Turbo, I think.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure this is all just for ST with the right side being the old versions.

Downloaded and installed Fightcade and played 3S for the first time.

I like it. Whiffing for meter is absolutely the stupidest thing in any fighting game ever and I'm not sure if I like parries or not yet.

Clawww

I like it. Whiffing for meter is absolutely the stupidest thing in any fighting game ever and I'm not sure if I like parries or not yet.

meter gain on whiff is OK. "stupidest thing in any fighting game ever" is a bit of an exaggeration considering the actually broken and crazy shit out there. just don't give your opponent the breathing room to whiff freely :D

parries--the level I play on w/ my friends, we're not doing anything too broken with them. they're mainly in play in terms of the basic mindgames and OS parry, which is fine. an extra layer of incentive to not get predictable or do slow/reactable/gimmicky stuff without establishing the necessary conditioning beforehand.

been playing a bunch of 3s lately actually since I haven't been in the mood for SF4, it's really fun. I think a lot of the intimidating stuff and 'problems' with the games don't really come into to play for most players, unless you're suddenly gunning to be tournament caliber, which would be odd, ya know? kind of going on a tangent here and not even addressing you in particular, but my point is, people should definitely play this game and give it a good shake; now's as good a time as any before SFV I guess.

Played some good mkx matches today, but boy I think that might be the worst community in fighters.
I got a guy started ranting racist nonsense at me when he lost, droppers, and a couple guys with ridiculously good w/l ratios who were shit tier skill wise...
Oy, makes me nostalgic for when I was deep into P4A and everyone just shot eachother 'ggs' after every match. But I suppose thems the breaks.

Rhapsody

Banned
Man... watching more JP vids of Xrd and the current level of what Elphelt can do there is nuts.
Feels like they're way ahead on tech while we're just doing the same simple stuff for almost a year now.

Zissou

Man... watching more JP vids of Xrd and the current level of what Elphelt can do there is nuts.
Feels like they're way ahead on tech while we're just doing the same simple stuff for almost a year now.

Such is the power of superior playerbase size, better online, higher population density, and constant access to the newest version of the game (and all these factors reinforcing each other).

OceanBlue

Such is the power of superior playerbase size, better online, higher population density, and constant access to the newest version of the game (and all these factors reinforcing each other).

Didn't we get Elphelt two or three weeks after they did?

If any of you see Kstoute at Canada cup ask him about his wife in doa so his reaction is

I don't think talking to ghosts is necessarily a good idea.

First time I've seen this.
Far as I know ST didn't have tier lists, as it all came down to match ups.

EDIT: Actually O. Sagat should be ratio 10 with how fast his stupid shots were.

I like that ratio list in that it doesn't make top tiers unplayably expensive - typical ratio lists all but ban top tier characters from being played which always irks me. If you don't want to see them, just actually honestly ban them instead of pretending they're allowed.

Accurate ST Tier list:

Banned: Akuma
Intravenous Distilled Hyooouu: N.Claw
Normal: The cast

A character strength ranking on a 1-10 point scale Koemon (Fei Long player) posted on twitter some time ago:

10: Claw
9: Sim 9
8: Boxer Chun O.Gat
7: Ryu Guile
6.5: DJ O.Ken
6: Honda O.Hawk Dict O.Claw
5: Fei
4: Ken Blanka Gief
3: Cammy Hawk Sagat

Others Unknown/Unrated

I beg to differ. N.Claw's Walldives are a far, far more stupid an idea than anything 3S could hope to muster.

been playing a bunch of 3s lately actually since I haven't been in the mood for SF4, it's really fun. I think a lot of the intimidating stuff and 'problems' with the games don't really come into to play for most players, unless you're suddenly gunning to be tournament caliber, which would be odd, ya know? kind of going on a tangent here and not even addressing you in particular, but my point is, people should definitely play this game and give it a good shake; now's as good a time as any before SFV I guess.

For the longest time I listened to people's opinions on 3S - imbalanced Chun Yun Ken dullfest, parries break neutral and make it so you can't zone and things are stupid and whatnot.

Then I actually stream monstered the game, saw that it had a lively, interesting, varied neutral game, parries actually did well in mitigating the kind of "shit out of luck" situations you find in eg. ST, and things are just done nicely - there's universal overheads for universal high/low/throw mixups, even mids can vary in parry heights, and just moving around seemed like it should feel way, way better than SF4 ever did.

Then I played it and saw that those impressions were right. The game is fun as hell and I want to play it more.

I'm actually surprised by the number of charge characters in Arcana Heart and by how E moves can be charged to get a different move but you barely have to hold the button down before its ready. Literally the difference between a tap and holding the button at all is all you need to make the fully charged Arcana attack come out.

Its really surprsing that charge characters are so good from all the tier lists I'm reading. Angelia is one I ran into and got bodied by that has kind of a mix of The Hulk and Raiden from KOF goin on. Gamma charge like flying headbutts everywhere and cancel with any direction plus another button to make her redirect. Also a chargeable dropkick like Raiden. Just a lot of combos with her too given she has a Choi bounge style spinning multihit move in the air and a halo throw that allows her to pick up folks in a combo from decent range. Just a great toolset and its all on a charge character of all things. Check out Angelia

Fun fact...Momiji plays this game. Here's their Arcana Heart 3 Love Max tier list. No mention on what Arcana though

S Zenia, Weiss, Elsa
A Yoriko, Nazuna, Catherine, Kira, Kamui, Eko, Mei-fang
B Everyone else
C Except for Maori

Honestly most tiers put Zenia up there at S tier. Been looking around and she got the damage with all her Cancel filled combos...is this the first ever S tier boxer character?
All of a sudden I just realized what her dash move is for and I gotta put this to work later. I usually suck ass at picking a good character, but I won the lottery big time.

Parries can be your best friend or worst enemy depending on the opponent. I can safely say that 3S' meter gain just feels dumb, especially if certain characters have supers with a lot more utility than the opponent's stuff.
You mean whiffing normals? A lot of games whiff moves for meter. Vsav also whiffs normals.
In VSav all the characters can build meter pretty fast with just a combo and reset. Some characters even wiff their normals in a way that makes it an elegant part of the gameplan. It just looks elegant to see skilled pendulum cancels pitted against fireballs. I can't say the same for two 3S characters literally starting the round by mashing their fastest medium strength normals to build meter. You can also win an entire game in VSav without a single super, so that is just another form of elegance to it.
I know what you mean. If you take gaffer/internet impressions to heart zoning is literally impossible and chun ruins the mid level game as much as she does the tournament level games.
ASW makes games for Japan first and foremost. It's no surprise that other regions lag in skill without GGPO and delayed localizations/ports.
For the longest time I listened to people's opinions on 3S - imbalanced Chun Yun Ken dullfest, parries break neutral and make it so you can't zone and things are stupid and whatnot.

Then I actually stream monstered the game, saw that it had a lively, interesting, varied neutral game, parries actually did well in mitigating the kind of "shit out of luck" situations you find in eg. ST, and things are just done nicely - there's universal overheads for universal high/low/throw mixups, even mids can vary in parry heights, and just moving around seemed like it should feel way, way better than SF4 ever did.

Then I played it and saw that those impressions were right. The game is fun as hell and I want to play it more.
I've been going in on 3S fightcade HARD for an entire week now. I literally haven't fought a single Chun (good or bad). The most common characters are Ryu and Ken, but they're nowhere near as common in occurrence as modern SFIV. The neutral games are actually far more interesting than anything else I've ever played in Street Fighter games and fireballs can still zone perfectly fine so long as you aren't hoping to hit your opponent like ten times in a round. Parrying certainly comes into play, but pretty much no one has parried 3 hit moves yet, or supers like you see in high level Japanese videos. Unfortunately I can feel the tier list pretty hard like I saw when I went from a AlexvsHugo vid to AlexvsMakoto video yesterday. This isn't like VSav where even non-Anak tier can blow away expectations at tournaments. Some characters in this game can be made by parries (parry into powerbomb or air knee smash=good life) and others really broken by it (haven't seen a single Remy player yet).

There is only one thing that makes me sad in all of this. Third Strike fightcade over the last week has been an average of 100+ players except on Sunday morning. Vampire Savior as always holds an average of 8-10 at best. The internet lies. They don't know either game lol. :(

Rhapsody

Banned
ASW makes games for Japan first and foremost. It's no surprise that other regions lag in skill without GGPO and delayed localizations/ports.
For Elphelt, we got her pretty much at the same time since she was DLC. We don't have Revelator in the US, but the character balance is the exact same outside of small system mechanic changes. We just don't have the MU experience, so I feel like Elphelt players are still lagging behind since they aren't forced to learn all the intricacies just yet with what's currently working on people.

Although I do feel like this goes for a lot of other characters too in this game, not just Elphelt, on us being behind.

But you're right though, we're definitely lagging behind on skill, especially due to the reasons mentioned from people on this page.

Just wondering but the SF5 version from the playstation store, is there a way to get a physical copy? I have a pre-order down for amazon but I don't really want the Bison outfit since I'm wasn't feeling his playstyle.

meter gain on whiff is OK. "stupidest thing in any fighting game ever" is a bit of an exaggeration considering the actually broken and crazy shit out there. just don't give your opponent the breathing room to whiff freely :D

parries--the level I play on w/ my friends, we're not doing anything too broken with them. they're mainly in play in terms of the basic mindgames and OS parry, which is fine. an extra layer of incentive to not get predictable or do slow/reactable/gimmicky stuff without establishing the necessary conditioning beforehand.

My issue with meter in 3S is that it's rewarding for doing nothing. My thoughts have always been you gain meter for blocking, doing damage or getting hit because there's a reason for gaining meter in those three scenarios. If you're gaining meter for doing nothing then why not just have the EX bar fill up over time? You're pretty much doing the same thing.

You make a great point about parries in regards to predictability. Definitely makes sense.

Sayad

lol at DLC characters still not available in EU yet, get your shit together ASW!
My issue with meter in 3S is that it's rewarding for doing nothing. My thoughts have always been you gain meter for blocking, doing damage or getting hit because there's a reason for gaining meter in those three scenarios. If you're gaining meter for doing nothing then why not just have the EX bar fill up over time? You're pretty much doing the same thing.

You make a great point about parries in regards to predictability. Definitely makes sense.
Not a fan of whiffing normals for meter but it really isn't as free as you make it out to be, finding the space to whiff a normal and, consequently, preventing the opponent from doing so was a big part of 3s neutral. It also fits 3s in that it was another thing that got in the way of zooning. ;p

MrDaravon

I've been out of things for a while, Ultra SF4 on PS4 is pretty much good to go now right? Like I shouldn't have any qualms about picking it up now? I really want to try to get back into things. Debating on getting a Hori FC4 or not, I really want to try to see if I can learn to play on stick but don't want to spend near that much money right now. That mini Mad Catz stick might actually be good in my situation but that's a ways off.

the way the models are created makes it pretty difficult for costumes for what I hear

All of the shading is done manually, so the artists would have to create a new model and then do all the shading for it.

As for voice DLC, it's a Japanese market thing where people care about voice actors. You don't have get it, you still have the stock announcer.

jerry1594

In VSav all the characters can build meter pretty fast with just a combo and reset. Some characters even wiff their normals in a way that makes it an elegant part of the gameplan. It just looks elegant to see skilled pendulum cancels pitted against fireballs. I can't say the same for two 3S characters literally starting the round by mashing their fastest medium strength normals to build meter. You can also win an entire game in VSav without a single super, so that is just another form of elegance to it.
While true, you can go in and stop nearly everyone from building meter. The main culprits anyway (Ryu, Chun, Ken, Yun, Dudley) and in Chun and Yun's case you really have to go in on them before they build a bar. Ironically they're probably the hardest ones to stop cause a couple well placed pokes by Chun= 30% of your life gone and more meter for her, and sometimes Yun likes to run away and he'll be building meter anyway so instead of wasting time chasing him some people opt to just build meter instead.

Numb

Europe still doesn't have Elphelt, lol. That version can't play with the other versions either. Thanks ASW!

Bless the HK versions of stuff being english most of the times,cheaper,releases around the same time as Japan and doesn't have any of these bullshits.
EU always stay losing.

Hubb

I've been out of things for a while, Ultra SF4 on PS4 is pretty much good to go now right? Like I shouldn't have any qualms about picking it up now? I really want to try to get back into things. Debating on getting a Hori FC4 or not, I really want to try to see if I can learn to play on stick but don't want to spend near that much money right now. That mini Mad Catz stick might actually be good in my situation but that's a ways off.

Yeah, it is good to go. I'm playing it on and off and have no issues with it anymore.

ShinMaruku

Ok folks I do have a few DOA tuts I can share with you that is being built with some help. I have a Nyo Tengu main and a Momiji main doing some things, if you would like anything else I can also extend out feelers for them.
RfKgHei.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom