• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
parries are the worst thing to happen to SF since V-ism

Sadly parries ruined SF3 neutral game but I honestly love the idea of making that perfect read and nullifying that pressure to a punish. The fact that it could have been used whenever is what made it broken in a sense. It almost made its own form of neutral where it was chaotic and high on octane, making it even more difficult to master as a game.

Zissou

Parries were dumb because there was no real reason just to tap forward or down before doing whatever you were going to do anyways- lot of parries aren't really reads (how many parries did Daigo attempt before Justin actually supered?). That and them destroying ranged combat is enough to make me glad they're gone. SFV Ryu's parry is fine because a) there's a whiff animation and b) recovery is not instantaneous (and maybe start up time not great either? not sure).

Infinite

Sadly parries ruined SF3 neutral game but I honestly love the idea of making that perfect read and nullifying that pressure to a punish. The fact that it could have been used whenever is what made it broken in a sense. It almost made its own form of neutral where it was chaotic and high on octane, making it even more difficult to master as a game.
No it didn't.

Parries were dumb because there was no real reason just to tap forward or down before doing whatever you were going to do anyways- lot of parries aren't really reads (how many parries did Daigo attempt before Justin actually supered?). That and them destroying ranged combat is enough to make me glad they're gone. SFV Ryu's parry is fine because a) there's a whiff animation and b) recovery is not instantaneous (and maybe start up time not great either? not sure).

Ryu can punish Bison's Knee Press if he parries. :-(

That's why I think Ryu is really strong right now. Until folks master his parry, they can't talk about how strong he really is. He is undoubtedly the hardest character to master right now in the beta.

Zissou

Ryu can punish Bison's Knee Press if he parries. :-(

That's why I think Ryu is really strong right now. Until folks master his parry, they can't talk about how strong he really is. He is undoubtedly the hardest character to master right now in the beta.

Then you delay the knee press slightly, so he parries nothing and eats the hit. The Ryu player still has to make a prediction and can be punished if their prediction is wrong.

Rhapsody

Banned

I wouldn't say ruined SF3 neutral game.

Then you delay the knee press slightly, so he parries nothing and eats the hit. The Ryu player still has to make a prediction and can be punished if their prediction is wrong.
Did you watch the Ryan Hart matches? Ryan Hart wasn't doing it in response to a blockstring. He was doing it on reaction in the neutral. Insane reactions for being so early in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RylEXUj9rMQ&t=34m25s

He does it twice in a row, too. Absolutely incredible.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I wouldn't say ruined SF3 neutral game.

I was saying it in a context if the game was played 20XX status if people played the game perfectly but it did limit playstyles is a normal context. I'm glad parries now have whiff animations for SFV. I just hope Capcom is holding a secret from us about the game. I know Haunts regularly uses his GAF account and probably reads these posts while drinking his morning coffee. I see you Haunts.

H F C B O Y Z
No more DSL shit for me!
Question, if you activate V-Trigger with Ryu can you still parry?

You should be able to and it might refill the V-gauge you have for making his denjin mode last longer.

Perro

H F C B O Y Z
No more DSL shit for me!

Tripon

H F C B O Y Z
No more DSL shit for me!
Yes, although at that point, you should be on the offensive with the mind games of chargeable denjin fireballs and punishing Dragon punches.

Speaking of denjin mode, I actually like how it affects his shoryuken. If just feels so good landing one, especially an ex Shoryu.

Marz

Yea from my limited experience playing the beta and from watching a ton of footage of SF5, I don't like where the game is right now.

And no, the combo system in SF4 was not the same combos over and over again. Even with a simple character like Sagat there are multiple different combo paths I can go into depending on screen position and meter situation.

SF5 looks really limited in that aspect. I feel like at this stage in fighting games' evolution you need a Roman Cancel/FADC mechanic for the combo system otherwise it's super dull.

But of course, it's not even day 1 yet so I'm not going to judge the game fully until it's fleshed out. I like the higher focus on the neutral game.

How will Haunts find us in community though.
Disappointed that this isn't a pun.

Wrapping up the OS discussion: Your BB example definitely has me intrigued, and I can see that potentially adding depth since the OS leads to unique shortcomings vs. doing A or B solo. The other examples weren't convincing, though.

Shouta

I don't mind the emphasis on neutral and shorter combos in SF5 but I come from the SF2 generation technically so I grew up with games that didn't have that many combo variations at your finger tips.

I don't mind the emphasis on neutral and shorter combos in SF5 but I come from the SF2 generation technically so I grew up with games that didn't have that many combo variations at your finger tips.
I'd like to see someone defend long combos for a game past its discovery stage.

CO_Andy

Well, Valle loves ST and doesn't agree with your sentiment.

Shouta

I'd like to see someone defend long combos for a game past its discovery stage.

I mean they're great in a game that emphasizes and accommodates it but SF has never really had longer combos for most of the cast in their games as a normal thing. It's always been certain characters or certain mechanics that made it happen.

Well, Valle loves ST and doesn't agree with your sentiment.

Yeah, I don't really know what to think of Valle on that, lol.

I mean they're great in a game that emphasizes and accommodates it but SF has never really had longer combos for most of the cast in their games as a normal thing. It's always been certain characters or certain mechanics that made it happen.

Yeah, I don't really know what to think of Valle on that, lol.
I can't think of a game outside of MvC2 and Skullgirls (which is attempting to be a MvC2 successor) that handles long combos well. It's pretty rare.

Shouta

SFxT handles long combos fine in general but jab confirms kill the damage in the game then of course the time feels fast as fuck, lol

SFxT handles long combos fine in general but jab confirms kill the damage in the game then of course the time feels fast as fuck, lol
I dont know SFxT well, but what I mean by "handles well" is "you don't play a one player game for an extended period of time". Skullgirls and MvC2 both favor resets, even when infinites are in play. Does SFxT have something like that going on?

i kinda miss SFxT. Jin had a cool moveset. In fact, I think a fair amount of the Tekken side made the transition to 2D rather smoothly. I hope the SF cast does well in 3D, but my hopes are not high.

Exr

Parries were awesome, people don't like new systems that force them to change playstyles.

NEO0MJ

i kinda miss SFxT. Jin had a cool moveset. In fact, I think a fair amount of the Tekken side made the transition to 2D rather smoothly. I hope the SF cast does well in 3D, but my hopes are not high.

Biggest disappointment for me was Yosimitsu. He just didn't work IMO.

Zissou

Parries were awesome, people don't like new systems that force them to change playstyles.

Parry didn't change playstyles so much as reduced the number of viable character archetypes (in addition to having other problems people have already mentioned).

3 hit combos were cool back in the day. How's the parry in V. Is it like 3s or IV?

Parry in IV?

It's not that I don't like new systems, I don't like a game being called Street Fighter that didn't really feel like Street Fighter anymore. It blows my mind how many hours I sunk into that game

Infinite

What's up with people saying that sf5 won't have a long life based a beta version of a game and also drawing that conclusion because combos are straight forward in said beta version?

What's up with people saying that sf5 won't have a long life based a beta version of a game and also drawing that conclusion because combos are straight forward in said beta version?

Beta was pretty bland and it looks like the newer versions are going to be even more bland tbh.

-less links
-nerfed Nash

:(

Infinite

Beta was pretty bland and it looks like the newer versions are going to be even more bland tbh.

-less links
-nerfed Nash

:(
But you have more/revised mechanics and more characters in the newer version???

Having open betas always seems like it's more trouble than it's worth to me.

Malice215

The people who say that SFV isn't going to last long from some beta impressions are just getting their excuses ready for when they lose. Just look at how long every other SF game has lasted. Whether it's as good as SF4 or not is another story, but it's all a matter of opinion anyway.

I'll save my opinions until the full game is out, but the overwhelming majority love the game so far, so props to Capcom for allowing so many people to get their hands on it.

Also spent my morning making a bunch of updates. It's easy to put things on a calendar, but the real work comes in cross checking everything to make sure it's correct, which it usually isn't until the last minute. Should be a fun weekend.

tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

Horseress

It's a demo with four characters......8 months before release.....c'mon guys
some of
you are better than that

And still plenty of those "problems" are things that are in SFIV and aren't in SFV. New game new shit, it's how things goes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom