• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
obviously not that great of a moment when ppl get the player wrong. honestly the only character theme I remember is sakuras. and the custom music of the neo vs clockwork match. everything else had been forgettable

Laura looks pretty awesome! I was hoping her grabs would be strikes that go into a grab and not her being a true grappler.

Maybe I'll play her since R. Mika is weird and I cannot stand Karin's hair.

I feel like I'm the only one that does not like Laura.

I don't like Laura either (gameplay wise). The V skill where you can combo specials into other specials sound cool but I don't like how all enders are knockdowns.
I think her look is cool, colorful and nice flair but that dinky electric fireball looks strange.

Why's that

Like I said before, she looks like she's coming out from a focus group test and acts as a safe compromise without clear design direction except not hurting anyone.

They could have gone with a full Brazilian jujitsu fighter but stopped in the middle because a character with a "practical" design is not sexy enough, so boobs. They could have gone sexy and nuts with electricity giving her punk hair + move set and add some cool clothes but they played safe with just a country color scheme and a "rebellious" haircut you can see everywhere + a traditional fighting style. She's a cool and positive fighter and that's all.
Rashid is the same to me. A young and positive and rich and family oriented character from the middle east. Since he has money he has super cool tech. Oh and he loves his friends. So risky. At least he drags you in a tornado and kicks you face.

I know they probably want to avoid to rely on gross stereotypes or doing a failed humorous/too serious character for countries they don't know well as they have to sell copies. But by being so safe they are creating empty shells and missing an opportunity to create characters that will stay in memories.

mbpm1

I know they probably want to avoid to rely on gross stereotypes or doing a failed humorous/too serious character for countries they don't know well as they have to sell copies. But by being so safe they are creating empty shells and missing an opportunity to create characters that will stay in memories.

I feel this

Now that it's not longer appropriate to use outrageous stereotypes Capcom has trouble making memorable characters.

They did fine with SF3, though, but that's a whole different era

jerry1594

I think in that time designers and artists had a lot of creative freedom and a big budget at their disposal. That didn't work out very well financially and now Capcom can't afford to lose money so they are going with focus testing.

MrDaravon

Hey, are PS4 controller drivers up to snuff now on Windows 8? I didn't upgrade to Windows 10, but I know for a while there were some issues in general with Windows. I'm hoping to have my Hori FC4 by the end of the week, and planning on mainly playing Ultra on PS4 but I have it on PC as well.

Now that it's not longer appropriate to use outrageous stereotypes Capcom has trouble making memorable characters.

They did fine with SF3, though, but that's a whole different era

I think in that time designers and artists had a lot of creative freedom and a big budget at their disposal. That didn't work out very well financially and now Capcom can't afford to lose money so they are going with focus testing.

Yup.

Negaduck

She looks pretty cool. Feel so bad for ono. He could have trolled pretty hard by showing the spinning part of her super and had everyone fooled.

They had a lot more of great artists back then with much more experience. Even if characters were made by the capcom design team, almost all artists from this period left: Akiman, Nishimura, Bengus were the three main illustrators, with Shoei Okano as the boss and several other artists (Ikeno, Sensei, Edayan, Daichan) as helpers.
Of all of them, only Ikeno is left from this period and he's now the art director for the series.

Also a friend and I were talking about how since SF4, capcom seems afraid of using real drawings for fighting games. Almost all arts are done from 3D models then retouched by an artist and it's ugly as hell, SF5 is not exception. I really think they are lacking talent in the art/drawing department OR they have reasons to not push this. Everyone loves Ikeno's SF3.3 arts but would they sell a game today?

Rhapsody

Banned
I like the gameplay designs for SFV, but yeah, character designs? So safe, nothing sticks out.
As a kid, looking through magazines of the cast for the Alpha games and SF3 was great.
They had a lot more of great artists back then with much more experience. Even if characters were made by the capcom design team, almost all artists from this period left: Akiman, Nishimura, Bengus were the three main illustrators, with Shoei Okano as the boss and several other artists (Ikeno, Sensei, Edayan, Daichan) as helpers.

It gave me a sense of nostalgia when I saw some fun MvC3 art promo by some of those said artists. Art direction of Capcom right now just pales :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom