• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumubou

I think xrd might be the worst gg game outside of the orignial although I never touched x or xx and those seem like they could compete.
GGX is unfathomably broken (ok, maybe not so much compared to the original, but still). Eat a bunch of faultless defense cancel infinites and some unblockable mist finer setups and call it a night.

Zissou

After playing XRD for a solid month.. my verdict is...

the game is fuckin stupid

giphy.gif

here's to 10 more years of SF4

It takes a lot longer than a month to learn a game :p

Are you sure your frustrations with xrd aren't at least partially due to you jumping into a series that's 10+ years old and playing (mostly) against lots of people with years and years of experience?

Sometimes I wonder how some of you just tolerate ASW. I dropped Blizzard like a bad habit when they went full bellend and Riot is a cult. ASW just don't give a fuck about the west.
Namco too. They gonna kill Tekken 7 in the cradle.

I hope sfv explodes half so arcsys others like them see the bigger global picture.

They also had a dying traditional marketplace, so who knows how things would have turned out if arcades were healthy around that time.

Like Pizarro said- SFIII sales numbers were like a tenth of what some 2D fighters sold on dreamcast. Can't blame the marketplace.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think xrd might be the worst gg game outside of the orignial although I never touched x or xx and those seem like they could compete.

Xrd's really good...

Compared to Reload and on, I don't really see Xrd as a game that you can just say it's worse. It's a pretty solid game with its own direction that's not too far off past GG games.

Rhapsody

Banned
It kind of amazes me seeing the love SF4 gets now. Especially how I hear people tossing around how deep and technical it is.

petghost

Banned
It kind of amazes me seeing the love SF4 gets now. Especially how I hear people tossing around how deep and technical it is.

From an outsiders perspective

I think having 7 years of really focused high level play on a never before seen scale has endeared a lot of people including myself. I never played the game seriously and like other sf games more but I've probably seen more 4 than any other fg. It allowed a lot of memorable things to happen and those things were seen by more people than any other fighting game thanks to the rise of streaming during its lifetime.

Pretty much every Capcom and I'm willing to bet some SNK games did better than 3s on Dreamcast. Even Jojo's, though I don't know how big that was at the time
Like Pizarro said- SFIII sales numbers were like a tenth of what some 2D fighters sold on dreamcast. Can't blame the marketplace.
Yeah, I'm somewhat aware. I remember lurking and reading a few posts about the subject and Capcom's mistake of not releasing PS1 ports a few days/weeks ago. I would think that almost all the fighters ported to PS1 suffered in one way or another graphically, but the console crowd at the time only cared about having a playable highly popular piece of software in their living room. Capcom missed the boat big time on that crowd and the same posts mentioning the terrible DC sales also claimed that Capcom's decision was correct and based on accurate data. To that all I can say is that we know of Capcom's "Capgod", "Crapcom", and "Capcpom" moments/eras. Companies can make terrible mistakes even with all the data in the world. I think aside from changing the roster too much, Capcom made the huge mistake of not throwing full support behind their main entry in a numbered Street Fighter title. The result was a good decade long hiatus. The same could happen just as easily to SFV if Capcom doesn't see stellar sales and their executives lose interest. It wouldn't be the fault of SF2 saturation, weak sales, no Xbone port or no arcade port. It'd be the result of several factors blending together.

TBF this post is quite a bit more detailed than my initial one that was focused exclusively on the arcades. Capcom nut putting their full support into 3S kinda just hit me now (In that "Eureka" moment way, not the drooling fanboy way), so the keystrokes just kept pouring out.
I hope sfv explodes half so arcsys others like them see the bigger global picture.
ASW won't give a damn about anyone else's success. Currently both Skullgirls and USFIV each have sold more on PC than all ASW titles combined twice over, but it has taken ASW this long to start porting versions of their games that are very outdated. ASW will be lucky to be on a level playing field in this genre by the time Sony and MS release their next consoles. Luckily for them they have money unlike Lab Zero... even if it isn't much.
This is what you'll hear from a bunch of weaklings who can't make the transition to SFV or never even made the transition to other fighters from that same generation. Part of me really wants to jump headfirst into SFV, so I can feast on the fresh meat. Most of those people pining for the good old days are gonna get wrecked outside of their safety zone. The people who can actually play SFIV AND other fighters well are the ones who scare me. You need the patience of a saint for the former and it shows in the way SF4 plays out.

Edit: I'm obviously not including "pros" here. These people will make art out of the worst (not saying SF4 is even in this category, guys) or best fighter. The pros made and will continue to make SF4 shine in it's own way.

I think having 7 years of really focused high level play on a never before seen scale has endeared a lot of people including myself. I never played the game seriously and like other sf games more but I've probably seen more 4 than any other fg. It allowed a lot of memorable things to happen and those things were seen by more people than any other fighting game thanks to the rise of streaming during its lifetime.
Basically this

I think it could be argued that MvC3 and Melee have had just as much (or nearly) exposure as SFIV. They're probably the three most watched fighters ever as far as streaming goes. The same probably applies to tournaments.

Loving SF4 is such a strange idea for me.

Watching it nowadays just seems lackluster when I've gotten used to anime, KOF, Melee and older SF. It just feels constrained and muted somehow.

petran79

Banned
This is what you'll hear from a bunch of weaklings who can't make the transition to SFV or never even made the transition to other fighters from that same generation. Part of me really wants to jump headfirst into SFV, so I can feast on the fresh meat. Most of those people pining for the good old days are gonna get wrecked outside of their safety zone. The people who can actually play SFIV AND other fighters well are the ones who scare me. You need the patience of a saint for the former and it shows in the way SF4 plays out.

Edit: I'm obviously not including "pros" here. These people will make art out of the worst (not saying SF4 is even in this category, guys) or best fighter. The pros made and will continue to make SF4 shine in it's own way.

SFIV requires not only to be good at fighting games, but also to get used at 3D graphics.
Older sprite based fighters feel so much different. Even the ones that used 2d sprites and 3D backgrounds.

It is like someone playing the new Super Mario or Sonic games and then jump straight to 16-bit games. You have to get used to the lower flow of graphics information and focus on the control and gameplay instead. SFIV and its 2.5D ilk are very distracting. Even more tiresome than 3D fighters like VF and Tekken.

Also most FG have totally different control schemes that make things more difficult. While moves like HCB,F are easy in KOF, they are a chore to perform in Blazblue.

SFIV requires not only to be good at fighting games, but also to get used at 3D graphics.
Older sprite based fighters feel so much different. Even the ones that used 2d sprites and 3D backgrounds.

It is like someone playing the new Super Mario or Sonic games and then jump straight to 16-bit games. You have to get used to the lower flow of graphics information and focus on the control and gameplay instead. SFIV and its 2.5D ilk are very distracting. Even more tiresome than 3D fighters like VF and Tekken.

Also most FG have totally different control schemes that make things more difficult. While moves like HCB,F are easy in KOF, they are a chore to perform in Blazblue.
That is an entirely unique perspective and not one I ever gave much thought to. Trying to figure out how much that has applied to myself or others is something I can't even begin to comment on from five minutes of mulling it over.

Yeah, I'm somewhat aware. I remember lurking and reading a few posts about the subject and Capcom's mistake of not releasing PS1 ports a few days/weeks ago. I would think that almost all the fighters ported to PS1 suffered in one way or another graphically, but the console crowd at the time only cared about having a playable highly popular piece of software in their living room. Capcom missed the boat big time on that crowd and the same posts mentioning the terrible DC sales also claimed that Capcom's decision was correct and based on accurate data. To that all I can say is that we know of Capcom's "Capgod", "Crapcom", and "Capcpom" moments/eras. Companies can make terrible mistakes even with all the data in the world. I think aside from changing the roster too much, Capcom made the huge mistake of not throwing full support behind their main entry in a numbered Street Fighter title. The result was a good decade long hiatus. The same could happen just as easily to SFV if Capcom doesn't see stellar sales and their executives lose interest. It wouldn't be the fault of SF2 saturation, weak sales, no Xbone port or no arcade port. It'd be the result of several factors blending together.

TBF this post is quite a bit more detailed than my initial one that was focused exclusively on the arcades. Capcom nut putting their full support into 3S kinda just hit me now (In that "Eureka" moment way, not the drooling fanboy way), so the keystrokes just kept pouring out.

Wow you're misunderstanding a lot of things about that period and jumping to conclusions. The problem isn't about Capcom not supporting a main entry in Street Fighter at all, it's dumb to believe something like this. There's so many things to say I don't even know where to start. In disorder:

• There was too much fighting games in that period, resulting in a fragmentation of the player base in smaller communities. It forced FG companies to give their communities what they wanted, resulting in over-complicated games with a smaller appeal and lack of innovation outside of fighting game mechanics.
  • Capcom made too much Street Fighter numbered episodes, cannibalizing itself. SF3 didn't worked because SF Alpha was considered the real successor of 2X for example and it was way too soon (1996) to start a new entry in the series (Alpha 1 is from 1994!) and waaaaay too soon to be so bold with the cast and system changes.
  • Capcom didn't invest early enough in 3D like Sega and Namco did very early in 91 and 92. Both these companies understood that 3D was going to be the next big thing and fighting games were a way to work on modeling bodies, create interactions and collisions... And thus when people grew tired of fighting games, Capcom could not reproduce the wow factor of SF2 as it didn't have the talent and technology to do so.
  • Namco understood that players didn't wanted just a versus mode as the game was now a console experience that needed variety. They created several solo modes like Tekken Force and Tekken Ball aside the fighting game part. At the same time Capcom and SNK where doing ISM, Alternate characters versions and such things. They are cool, but they are only for hardcore players.
  • I heard that after they did SF3.3 they were asked what to do next with Street Fighter and they said they didn't knew what to do, that they had made all the ideas they had. So they cashed a bit of money with Capcom vs SNK and that was it. The creators were probably out of touch with the public and out of ideas after doing so much great games for so many years.
  • And last thing: if Capcom wasn't good enough in 3D to make a good 3D Street Fighter, they made other games in 3D that were less hard to do like the Resident Evil series. And they sold way better than fighting games so it was stupid to continue doing 2D fighters.

In 1998 Tekken 3 sold 8.5 million copies while Street Fighter Alpha 3 (the last "real" Street Fighter for many people) on Playstation sold barely 1 million. Meanwhile Resident Evil 2 sold 5 million copies the same year. Knowing this, why would you even TRY to put money to support SF3 when it crashed in arcades, isn't loved by the community and while your competitor is doing incredible 3D fighting games you can't compete with? That's as simple as that.

I never could understand SF4's success. Like, good on them for how much success its had, but its just so fucking boring.

Ill eat up ASW's shitty release schedule before playing SF4 (and 5 isnt much better)

Now I'm kind of sad that pure 2D fighters never quite recovered. It's mostly niche stuff now except for BB and KOF. Yeah, SG is probably niche. AH, UNIEL and the rest are even more niche than that too.
Wow you're misunderstanding a lot of things about that period and jumping to conclusions. The problem isn't about Capcom not supporting a main entry in Street Fighter at all, it's dumb to believe something like this. There's so many things to say I don't even know where to start. In disorder:

• There was too much fighting games in that period, resulting in a fragmentation of the player base in smaller communities. It forced FG companies to give their communities what they wanted, resulting in over-complicated games with a smaller appeal and lack of innovation outside of fighting game mechanics.
  • Capcom made too much Street Fighter numbered episodes, cannibalizing itself. SF3 didn't worked because SF Alpha was considered the real successor of 2X for example and it was way too soon (1996) to start a new entry in the series (Alpha 1 is from 1994!) and waaaaay too soon to be so bold with the cast and system changes.
  • Capcom didn't invest early enough in 3D like Sega and Namco did very early in 91 and 92. Both these companies understood that 3D was going to be the next big thing and fighting games were a way to work on modeling bodies, create interactions and collisions... And thus when people grew tired of fighting games, Capcom could not reproduce the wow factor of SF2 as it didn't have the talent and technology to do so.
  • Namco understood that players didn't wanted just a versus mode as the game was now a console experience that needed variety. They created several solo modes like Tekken Force and Tekken Ball aside the fighting game part. At the same time Capcom and SNK where doing ISM, Alternate characters versions and such things. They are cool, but they are only for hardcore players.
  • I heard that after they did SF3.3 they were asked what to do next with Street Fighter and they said they didn't knew what to do, that they had made all the ideas they had. So they cashed a bit of money with Capcom vs SNK and that was it. The creators were probably out of touch with the public and out of ideas after doing so much great games for so many years.
  • And last thing: if Capcom wasn't good enough in 3D to make a good 3D Street Fighter, they made other games in 3D that were less hard to do like the Resident Evil series. And they sold way better than fighting games so it was stupid to continue doing 2D fighters.

In 1998 Tekken 3 sold 8.5 million copies while Street Fighter Alpha 3 (the last "real" Street Fighter for many people) on Playstation sold barely 1 million. Meanwhile Resident Evil 2 sold 5 million copies the same year. Knowing this, why would you even TRY to put money to support SF3 when it crashed in arcades, isn't loved by the community and while your competitor is doing incredible 3D fighting games you can't compete with? That's as simple as that.
I'm not misunderstanding anything. His post was about DC sales and I took it a bit further by bringing up PS1 and arcades which I even apologized for since it felt like I was going off on a tangent of sorts. I'm not seventeen years old. I was already in my teens and felt the impact of 3D. The only big 2.5D fighter in town was Smash to boot. If the poster I quoted had mentioned 3D I would have gone into it. As it stands that was just another one of the many factors that helped to bury 3S and 2D fighter popularity in general. BTW you didn't bother to address anything I said about the PS1. If the most well known port of your main entry in a flagship IP is on the most notorious failed console (soon to be usurped by Wii U probably lol) of all time then your support ain't worth much. I'll be fair and admit there isn't much that is clear to address so I'll just leave the pages discussing that whole mess below.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119842&highlight=jojo&page=10

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119842&highlight=jojo&page=11

Edit: Found a better post on the subject with better followups.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180770284&postcount=848
What? No it didn't. Go back and look at the figures:

US Dreamcast sales - http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/basement/ga-archive/sega-dc-sales-03-04-2003.htm

Japan DC sales: https://web.archive.org/web/20081230005313/http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/dc.php

Compared to A3, it sold similarly on DC. Meanwhile on PS1, A3 sold a million copies. SF3 didn't get released on PS1.

Keep in mind that SF3 was also sold on console YEARS after its arcade debut, which of course hurt the DC sales even more.

Sorry, but roster was the least of SF3's problems when it comes to sales and performance. Promotion and availability were the main issues.
Edit#2: Feel free to eat me alive on the line "As it stands that was just another one of the many factors that helped to bury 3S and 2D fighter popularity in general. BTW you didn't bother to address anything I said about the PS1". You explained plenty, but somehow I missed it. Still doesn't change the fact that going from 60k sales to 1 MILLION is a massive improvement no matter how you see it.
I never could understand SF4's success. Like, good on them for how much success its had, but its just so fucking boring.

Ill eat up ASW's shitty release schedule before playing SF4 (and 5 isnt much better)
There have been worse fighters and after nearly a decade people were thirsty.

Zissou

I don't think 'getting used to 3D graphics' is a thing. A game can play exactly like a 2D sprite-based game and uses polygons.

Rhapsody

Banned
I enjoy watching (top level) SF4 a lot more than playing it tbh. I just don't really enjoy the design decisions when it's in my hands though for an SF.

Skilletor

I enjoy watching (top level) SF4 a lot more than playing it tbh. I just don't really enjoy the design decisions when it's in my hands though for an SF.

Same, but it's similar with most fighting games I dislike. I fucking hate Blazblue, for example, but loved watching last year's EVO finals.

Numb

Same, but it's similar with most fighting games I dislike. I fucking hate Blazblue, for example, but loved watching last year's EVO finals.

Same same. SF4 one of my most watched games.
Buy the games and play them casually but enjoy watching tournys of them way more.
Never Marvel tho lol

ShinMaruku

What is even more baffling is the people who only play sf4 even though they hate it because it's what their peers are playing. SF4 makes sense since it was an underserved market made by slightly different people. That makes sense.

Numb

What is even more baffling is the people who only play sf4 even though they hate it because it's what their peers are playing. SF4 makes sense since it was an underserved market made by slightly different people. That makes sense.
People play what others and their friends are playing and improving at. Understandable.
Fuck that tho if you hate it. Play something you like or atleast try other stuff.

A robot bed.
Gonna give it 10 'Naw Fam's' outta 10
It takes a lot longer than a month to learn a game :p

Are you sure your frustrations with xrd aren't at least partially due to you jumping into a series that's 10+ years old and playing (mostly) against lots of people with years and years of experience?
Probably. That and I think the game has a bit too many mechanics.. some that I really don't like.
ill play you count in xrd. send me a msg on bnet and ill see if i can make it
maybe. I gotta get back into form in SF4. I've got Canada Cup, the online qualifier and other offline events happening this month that i'd like to do well in.
That's a uhhhh

TGNz0rC.png

well
exactly

I feel the same way about ASW fans.
tbh

ShinMaruku

People play what others and their friends are playing and improving at. Understandable.
Fuck that tho if you hate it. Play something you like or atleast try other stuff.

I can understand playing what others do, but if you hate it and still just play it it makes people have some odd views on sf4. There are enough games that you can have some people to play with.

I saw the whole MK bandwagon. I never went in and I didn't care because I have enough people to play with. Then again I am not a follow the crowd person either.

Numb

I can understand playing what others do, but if you hate it and still just play it it makes people have some odd views on sf4. There are enough games that you can have some people to play with.

I saw the whole MK bandwagon. I never went in and I didn't care because I have enough people to play with. Then again I am not a follow the crowd person either.
Indeed. Even if you like games but they remove all the guys you used you don't have to play those you already know you don't like just to keep with the crowd. MKX was like that for me

Playing a charge character on a pad is badtimes

Pad player and that is whack. That's why i gotta use a stick for non-3D fighters since they don't got charges mostly.

Anne

Apparently Blade Arcus doesn't have netplay on console.

Also playing SF4 makes a lot more sense than getting good at something that'll be dead in a year at best. If you're wanting to actually invest and like to improve there's not many alternatives.

Apparently Blade Arcus doesn't have netplay on console.

Also playing SF4 makes a lot more sense than getting good at something that'll be dead in a year at best. If you're wanting to actually invest and like to improve there's not many alternatives.
cant invest in something that isnt fun

ShinMaruku

There are plenty alterative outside of ASW games. Most games have sustainable player bases hell even anime still has their people. Also just defaulting to sf if you hate it is really stupid because you are acting against your wants and likes. Makes no sense.

There are plenty alterative outside of ASW games. Most games have sustainable player bases hell even anime still has their people. Also just defaulting to sf if you hate it is really stupid because you are acting against your wants and likes. Makes no sense.
I invest the most time into persona and blazblue because they are the most fun to me, after that I dont get much more time to dedicate to fighters, but if I did itd be guilty gear, dead or alive, and UNIEL.

I really dont have time to get good at a game just because its popular, and even if I did, fuck that, ill keep playing blazblue

Numb

I invest the most time into persona and blazblue because they are the most fun to me, after that I dont get much more time to dedicate to fighters, but if I did itd be guilty gear, dead or alive, and UNIEL.

I really dont have time to get good at a game just because its popular, and even if I did, fuck that, ill keep playing blazblue

OrEhluy.gif

Good attitude to have.

Tizoc

Gonna give it 10 'Naw Fam's' outta 10

Ninja please.
You know you want that ish.
You be in your draws, just sleeping on that cozy mattress while brainwaves are sent to the robot bed to do your daily chores or at home job without you lifting or straining a muscle.

Anne

Nothing is gonna sustain for 7 years plus though. Getting good at anime was a huge disappointment, having something that small and relying on a spotty and not fun playerbase is only made more awful by the game being good. I guess it doesn't matter if you don't care about competitive play though.

Don't gotta play something you hate, but if you try to take something with no life past the "for fun" stage you're setting yourself up for a very frustrating time at some point, unless you are extremely lucky.

Tell me I have a bad attitude but I'm just saying it like it's been. Until something happens that makes the community sustainable fuck that noise.

ShinMaruku

Exactly. If you like a game you can get good better than pushing through a game you hate.

Numb

Blazblue could have had that 7yr life if they built upon Calamity Trigger and added all these yearly new ones as a sort of update. Just had to have the same name.

LegatoB

Nothing is gonna sustain for 7 years plus though. Getting good at anime was a huge disappointment, having something that small and relying on a spotty and not fun playerbase is only made more awful by the game being good. I guess it doesn't matter if you don't care about competitive play though.

Don't gotta play something you hate, but if you try to take something with no life past the "for fun" stage you're setting yourself up for a very frustrating time at some point, unless you are extremely lucky.

Tell me I have a bad attitude but I'm just saying it like it's been. Until something happens that makes the community sustainable fuck that noise.
You're not wrong, but if my choices are to play a game I don't like for years because it's the one that has competition or just not playing, I'm gonna pick "just don't play." Nobody's got time for that shit.

Anne

You're not wrong, but if my choices are to play a game I don't like for years because it's the one that has competition or just not playing, I'm gonna pick "just don't play." Nobody's got time for that shit.

That's actually what I'm doing atm lol tbh if something remotely interesting picked up outside of SF4 or Xrd I'd be on it but everything not Smash or that is graveyard status. I still "play" sometimes but it's so sporadic and unfulfilling I don't bother investing anymore.

Numb

If you an online player in an area where you have no local then it could be easier to play the popular thing if your thing if dead online. They are all fighting games at the end of the day which is nice. Thankfully not many fighters are completely ghost towns online unless they haven't had any new freshness in a long long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom