• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

are we expecting a character reveal at nycc?

even though the character to be revealed in brazil got leaked, is capcom really going to reveal two characters at two different events in the same weekend?

Azure J

Feel like playing more Xrd but bro's got the TV right now. Anyone down to play later? I'm trying to have a better run than I did before.

Shackzam

are we expecting a character reveal at nycc?

even though the character to be revealed in brazil got leaked, is capcom really going to reveal two characters at two different events in the same weekend?
One user at nycc is saying there is a nyc stage selectable.

Anne

If you an online player in an area where you have no local then it could be easier to play the popular thing if your thing if dead online. They are all fighting games at the end of the day which is nice. Thankfully not many fighters are completely ghost towns online unless they haven't had any new freshness in a long long while.

I have the opposite problem. I really like BB. The netcode is unplayable awful. Playing my character optimally is next to impossible, the online playerbase is small, and the skill level and approach vary wildly. Go read SKDs thing about how BB netplay is. So my choices are to suffer through that so I can go to two tournaments a year where everebody is really under prepared, or get locals to play. All my locals tell me they hate the game and my character and don't play. It's not like I don't like BB and I try to play it for fun, but doing more than that is gonna be expensive and make me reliant on other people.

I know I'm in the large minority here of trying to play things seriously though. If you really don't care about getting seriously good this is probably a non issue.

ShinMaruku

Nothing is gonna sustain for 7 years plus though. Getting good at anime was a huge disappointment, having something that small and relying on a spotty and not fun playerbase is only made more awful by the game being good. I guess it doesn't matter if you don't care about competitive play though.

Don't gotta play something you hate, but if you try to take something with no life past the "for fun" stage you're setting yourself up for a very frustrating time at some point, unless you are extremely lucky.

Tell me I have a bad attitude but I'm just saying it like it's been. Until something happens that makes the community sustainable fuck that noise.
I will never look to a game being sustained for 7 + years though. Those games get stale and settle into the patters Luckily we have more games coming out at a decent clip.

I have found some pretty stable communities in a few games so I don't run into that issue.
I can understand where you are coming from but from what I play I don't find those communities terrible like some others. I know what I get from ASW so I plan around their nuttery.

Numb

I have the opposite problem. I really like BB. The netcode is unplayable awful. Playing my character optimally is next to impossible, the online playerbase is small, and the skill level and approach vary wildly. Go read SKDs thing about how BB netplay is. So my choices are to suffer through that so I can go to two tournaments a year where everebody is really under prepared, or get locals to play. All my locals tell me they hate the game and my character and don't play. It's not like I don't like BB and I try to play it for fun, but doing more than that is gonna be expensive and make me reliant on other people.

I know I'm in the large minority here of trying to play things seriously though. If you really don't care about getting seriously good this is probably a non issue.
Yeah the worst part is usually the quality of the online. They are improving slowly in general but it ain't enough.

That is indeed a unique position to be in. The most casual player you'll meet over here so i don't try to do the heavy stuff as seriously.
Local meetups are your best bet. Ours is really chill and we play each others games so that no one is left feeling salty.(except those 6months we played nothing but smash.ugh)
Having friends with the same mindset online is a good choice too. Not as good as oflline but better than playing randoms.

petran79

Banned
I don't think 'getting used to 3D graphics' is a thing. A game can play exactly like a 2D sprite-based game and uses polygons.

One of the issues with SF4 was that you had to be exclusively devoted to it. It teaches the basics, like most other fighting games, but what you learned in SF4 carries over only to SF4.
Sprites and polygons move, react and collide differently.
I always found it a chore jumping from sprite based fighters like 3S and KOF to SF4.
While if I jump from one sprite fighter to another, even the so called anime fighters, adaptation is much easier.

ShinMaruku

I think if you got a soilid community the overall size of the game's player base is irrelivant. Hell I think regardless of sf's size too much follow fashion people and neglected characters in the US making that size only good for show.

Marz

It teaches the basics, like most other fighting games, but what you learned in SF4 carries over only to SF4.

I think actually SF4 teaches you a lot of things you need to be good at multiple fighting games. It gives a great foundation because the game is slower paced and it forces you to use critical thinking.

Some of these other games you learn a little set play and a few high damaging combos and you're beating people. Then you run into someone who actually knows what they're doing and you get demolished because these games don't really require you to learn basics.

SF you don't learn to anti air and you're not beating anyone.

I think actually SF4 teaches you a lot of things you need to be good at multiple fighting games. It gives a great foundation because the game is slower paced and it forces you to use critical thinking.

Some of these other games you learn a little set play and a few high damaging combos and you're beating people. Then you run into someone who actually knows what they're doing and you get demolished because these games don't really require you to learn basics.

SF you don't learn to anti air and you're not beating anyone.
Please source your quotes

Swarna

SFV is pretty much SF4 re-tooled and with the fat trimmed out. Shit feels the same in terms of the engine/game pace. Don't let the rushdown train on noobs in the beta fool you. You're gonna be sorely disappointed if your main gripe with SFIV was the core game itself (outside of crouch-techs/FA's/backdashing). Some cognitive dissonance from the people all of a sudden liking SFV but shitting on SF4 lmao.

Try going into KOF not knowing how to anti-air and see what happens.

You're gonna be sorely disappointed if your main gripe with SFIV was the core game itself (outside of crouch-techs/FA's/backdashing). Some cognitive dissonance from the people all of a sudden liking SFV but shitting on SF4 lmao.

Well the bolded is pretty much the game's major issue for many people in the first place.

Dahbomb

Swarna said:
You're gonna be sorely disappointed if your main gripe with SFIV was the core game itself (outside of crouch-techs/FA's/backdashing).
Those were the main gripes of SF4 to begin with along with the one frame links.

Zissou

One of the issues with SF4 was that you had to be exclusively devoted to it. It teaches the basics, like most other fighting games, but what you learned in SF4 carries over only to SF4.
Sprites and polygons move, react and collide differently.
I always found it a chore jumping from sprite based fighters like 3S and KOF to SF4.
While if I jump from one sprite fighter to another, even the so called anime fighters, adaptation is much easier.

Both kinds of game use 2D hitboxes and hurtboxes- they don't react and collide any differently. You may specifically have complaints about SF4, but it's not some magical thing inherent to a 2.5D fighting game.

Jefford Castillo
‏@OG_LilEvil
Alex is in the new NY stage for SFV!!! #SFV #NYCC2015

The dream is dead?

Shoryuken article kind of confirms this. There's a man in the background of the NY stage wearing green pants and a bomber jacket, but his back is to the camera.

Either way, I'm no longer thinking Alex is part of the initial roster.

The dream is dead?

Shoryuken article kind of confirms this. There's a man in the background of the NY stage wearing green pants and a bomber jacket, but his back is to the camera.

Siliconera got some explaining to do

Shackzam

The dream is dead?

This is what people are talking about
LX5kc6.png

Doesn't really look too much like him

Doesn't really look too much like him

I do agree. It's kind of a stretch to call that background character Alex.

Can't confirm either way at the moment, though.

EDIT: Even if it is Alex, it doesn't exactly de-confirm him not being in the game later on. I mean, Balrog, Vega and Hugo are in the backgrounds of SFIV stages.

Anne

Don't know if it was a sponsor but was watching BB and there was this dude who had FAKKU in there.

The FAKKU thing was mostly jokes, literally somebody asked on twitter, "will you sponsor me" and they said "totes" and sent them some stickers and stuff and that's about it as far as I know.

Numb

The FAKKU thing was mostly jokes, literally somebody asked on twitter, "will you sponsor me" and they said "totes" and sent them some stickers and stuff and that's about it as far as I know.

Something crazy always goes down when watching anime streams.
Hilarious.

Krackatoa

Montreal's FAKKU | Brice has been a real thing, to my knowledge, for yeaaaaars. Well before this joke that's been going around. He plays Tager in BB and has one of the flashiest Potemkins in Canada.
It's probably the flashiest Potemkin in North America. This guy tries to style in Top 8 and GF.

I believe he met them at an anime con, and not over Twitter. I'll ask some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom